PDA

View Full Version : Dark Sword Miniature Painting Contest

Darklord
05-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Well folks as Wamp grows so does its appeal to sponsors and we have another new one stepping up to offer you some rather lovely miniature goodness and this ones a cracker!

Our latest sponsor is none other than the veritable Dark Sword miniatures. I'm sure they need no introduction to most of us with a fantastic range to suit all tastes.

So no doubt your already tempted by this but if you need any further encouragement how about $400 worth of prizes for you?

1st Place - $200 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit
2nd Place - $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit
3rd Place - $50 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit
4th Place - $25 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit
Honorable Mention - $25 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit

Judging will be carried out by dark Sword themselves so make sure you impress them.

Deadline is 27th June 2011 (6pm GMT)

Supporters deadline is 30th June 2011 (6pm GMT)

The Rules:

You must be a Wamp Member to participate. Membership is free and you may register here. (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/register.php)

You may enter as many times as you like but each entry may only submit one photograph so if you need more angles it MUST be a montage.
Images must be no larger than 800 pixels wide by 2500 pixels high. (It is your responsibility to check this).
any additional photographs of that entry will be removed.
All entries must be new work. (New work is defined as any entry not previously displayed on-line in a completed state (You MAY enter pieces which have been shown as a Work In Progress (WIP)).
You give Wamp and Dark Sword Miniatures permission to use your pictures for publicity (but you do retain ownership).
You may post pictures of WIP or final shots both here and elsewhere.
Judging will be conducted by Dark Sword Miniatures.
Submissions must be posted to the Dark Sword Gallery (http://www.wamp-forum.com/photopost/g733-dark-sword-2011.html)
Credit is eligible at Dark Sword's website

You may enter a single miniature,diorama full 300 piece battle scene - whatever you like as long as its inherently Dark Sword.

Please folks make sure you read the rules (especially the new work one!!)

You can visit dark Sword's site here (http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/)

If you can't access any minis post a thread and ask as others may be able to sell or swap some for you

This should be a cracker!

Brett

Cregan Tur
05-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Definately entering- hopefully putting a few into the ring.

MaGie
05-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Wow those are some generous prizes for sure!
I already have some great pieces from their line, which are in desperate need of a paintjob... But I'm afraid I can't make this contest this time around :(
Good luck to everyone that will be entering!

paintminion
05-05-2011, 05:23 PM
<<Please folks make sure you read the rules (especially the new work one!!)>>

Are there other rules elsewhere or just the ones in this post?

Darklord
05-05-2011, 05:43 PM
<<Please folks make sure you read the rules (especially the new work one!!)>>

Are there other rules elsewhere or just the ones in this post?

Just those Paintminion (though some folks still miss em!!) Oh and nice to formally welcome you along! Love your Iron Painter work so looking forward to seeing what you do for this

Edit: oops just noticed the new work rule was missing!

paintminion
05-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Just those Paintminion (though some folks still miss em!!) Oh and nice to formally welcome you along! Love your Iron Painter work so looking forward to seeing what you do for this

Edit: oops just noticed the new work rule was missing!

Yeah, I am officially a Lurker. Just no time to be involved in so many sites. But I have some stuff I gotta get painted up quick, and having a looming deadline is always good motivation. :-)

Darklord
05-05-2011, 06:00 PM
cool! don't mind lurkers here, people will post when they have something worth posting!

Cregan Tur
05-05-2011, 06:02 PM
cool! don't mind lurkers here, people will post when they have something worth posting!

Or more often when they don't...:jiggy:

shanerozzell
05-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Man those are some good prizes. Count me in :)

megazord_man
05-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Looks great with a fantastic prize fund. Is there anywhere in the UK you can buy these figures for in preparation for the comp?

Twosoc
05-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Is there a linky? I'm going to have to google now :( :horro:

waghorn41
05-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh YES !!!! This is the comp I've been waiting for. Right, five - yes 5! - minis primed on the bench as we speak. My favourite mini company too. Hope I can finish all five as I've got more still in bare metal that I could do as well. Ther's prizes? Well that's nice but the joy of painting these up will be good enough. :biggrin: Well let's face it, I ain't going to win anything.

MamaGeek
05-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Oh, boy, do I want to enter. Not sure if I can. I'm working on a gaming figure (in Ladder challenge with wag - hey, wag, did you see my WIP shot?), and I have two commissions on my bench. Why don't these things come up when I have nothing on my plate? That's just life, I guess!

Cregan Tur
05-05-2011, 06:51 PM
@Wag:
you never know, you could outdo yourself or take the honorary mention.
W.a.s.

MamaGeek
05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Are weapon conversions allowed? (I'm thinking of swapping dual-wielded swords for spiked chaing, using the Reaper spiked chain pack.)

Darklord
05-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Are weapon conversions allowed? (I'm thinking of swapping dual-wielded swords for spiked chaing, using the Reaper spiked chain pack.)

yes converions are fine as long as it's inherently Dark Sword.

For anyone that hasnt seen one in the flesh the Dark Sword minis are some of the finest sculpted and casted metal miniatures I have ever seen (we have some been reviewed as we speak) The paintjobs on their site often dont convey how nice these are - if you can pick some up

Cregan Tur
05-05-2011, 07:40 PM
^Seconded

From reviewing their minis I have to say that they do excellent work overall.

NeatPete
05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
These minis are sexy good! Can't wait to get on in on this. Those prizes are great! Love the honorable mention prize, just goes to show what a great company it is.

If you are on the fence about getting in on this contest, go for it! Really nicely sculpted and cast metal minis, and as Darklord said, maybe the finests I've seen as well.

In Chigh
05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
I dont know any UK suppliers but Battlefield Berlin do them. Should get them faster than from the states anyway....

http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/nlayer/87-1-dark_sword_miniatures.html

Ive still not finished the Sad Panda i bought for Mrs Inchigh about a year ago :redface:

Hopefully i can get it done for this...

pae
05-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm going to try to get myself in painting mode again for this one. Just not sure which of the multitudes of DS figures I'll work on just yet.

Cregan Tur
05-05-2011, 08:19 PM
I've got a dio in mind that I cannot wait to do for this contest... but Boris won't like it.

Cregan Tur
05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
If you guys check out this thread (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showthread.php?7055-CreganTur-s-Paint-for-Profit-thingy) you can vote and tell me which project to work on as my first Darksword entry. I'll also be selling the completed piece as a part of my Paint for Profit thingy.

Endor
05-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Hm. Just saw the thread, 10 min later I had ordered a few minis :smile: From over the pond, that is. So depending on arrival I might be in as well, as there is no chance I'll be able to do a Banelord within the deadline. I like the frequency of contests here, always an opportunity to push oneself to complete something. Damn, when will I get time to finish my Malifaux crews?

Captain Sprout
05-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Great prizes thanks DS and DL!

I've been really impressed with these minis as they were not any I'd considered before, now having had my hands on some I'd say grab one and go for it!

piratemama
05-05-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm definitely entering! I have a few that have been waiting on painting for a while and this gives me a reason to do em up! :) I'm excited!!! I haven't been in a contest for a long time :)

Noddwyr
06-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Will definitely be entering this one as it comes at a convenient time for me and I love their minis. Might try to do a dio but at the rate I paint it just might not be possible.

GreyHorde
06-05-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm rusty, but that prize pool is tempting. Love DS minis, too, so this might be just what I need to get going, again.

vegel
06-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Honorable Mention - $25 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit
[/LIST]

I'd try to go for that ^__^

Darklord
06-05-2011, 08:51 AM
I'd try to go for that ^__^

don't be daft man - go for 1st place

Midwest Miniature Guy
06-05-2011, 02:53 PM
As Darksword is a local Minnesota company, and I have a few already primed and waiting for some paint. PLUS I'm not in the middle of a commission. I should be able to whip a couple out for this contest. Wish I could enter my Gregor Clegane but that was from last year. I've got some ladies that need some lovin paint jobs though. Good luck all!

Noddwyr
06-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Man, just had a closer look at the mini I wanted to paint (Lannister Lady in Waiting).
http://www.fantasybookspot.com/jaytomio/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/grrm_5012_f_p_marike.jpg
That one is painted by marike. The level of detail is uncanny, this is gonna be tough.

DaveyBoy
06-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Never painted a Dark Sword mini before but after reading the comments about them I have placed an order with Allsortsemporium. I went for the Female Elven Warrior Valshea.

Cregan Tur
06-05-2011, 06:52 PM
As long as you don't love them like a Lannister...:wink:

MamaGeek
06-05-2011, 10:52 PM
I order Roadkill the Troll (http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/mainwebsite_html/gallery/RoadKill_Tribute_Mini.htm). I love painting trolls!

waghorn41
06-05-2011, 10:58 PM
I've got Sansa and Catelyn Stark, female wild elf, witch and dani v2 on my work bench now :smile:

I've also got Steampunk Jen haley and baby Lillian Grace on standby, oh and the last of my ltd edn sorceress.

I like Darksword :biggrin:

MiniT
07-05-2011, 05:30 AM
I'm in! Don't know when I'll find time but here goes. Any opinion on the male fallen angel? What about the frogs my wife loves frogs. :confused:

Shaps
07-05-2011, 12:17 PM
if i get time im gonna paint up the male assassin, it looks a great model. http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/mainwebsite_html/gallery/images/miniatures/v_7408_f_p.jpg

Avicenna
11-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Well, I have started painting an entry for this comp :) But I am notoriously bad at finishing anything... gah! I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with :)

shanerozzell
11-05-2011, 02:48 PM
I have nearly finished my first of 3 planned entries. The one nearly finished is the female bard sat on the rock, just her lute to paint. The other planned are the Raccoon Thief and the male Ranger. Gotta love these DS mini's, they almost paint themselves.

Darklord
11-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Well, I have started painting an entry for this comp :) But I am notoriously bad at finishing anything... gah! I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with :)
hope you manage it would be nice to see your work in one of our contests

Cregan Tur
11-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I got Sansa Stark prepped and primed- I should be able to start painting her tonight. My biggest problem is the base- I'm not sure what I want to do. Part of me thinks of creating a little winter woodland scene, but the other part is thinking of using DL's trick and printing out a nice image and having her standing on what could be a palace floor.

shanerozzell
11-05-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm just mounting mine on some 1 inch squared resin blocks kindly provided by War Griffon. I figured it's a painting contest not a basing one and with the DS integral bases...

MamaGeek
11-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I have nearly finished my first of 3 planned entries. The one nearly finished is the female bard sat on the rock, just her lute to paint. The other planned are the Raccoon Thief and the male Ranger. Gotta love these DS mini's, they almost paint themselves.

Finished!??? Mine didn't even come in the mail yet! I stayed up WAAAY too late last night trying to finish up my Ladder challenge entry so I can get going on the Dark Sword mini as soon as it arrives. Hmm...maybe I could start on the base while I'm waiting...

piratemama
11-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm painting a diorama based on my two favorite characters of all time from M.Lackey's Oathbound series :) I am painting Female Mage with Owl as Kethry, Ghost the Dire Wolf as Warrl, and Female Dual Wield Fighter for Tarma :). I'm really excited about painting them because I love that series and am sad that she stops after the grand-daughter's story :( (I'm reading that currently). At the moment I have some things on my plate I need to finish by next week, but I can't wait to start on them! I had to order the Dire Wolf and Fighter so they're not here yet. I need to pick up some stuff for the base :) So exciting!!

waghorn41
11-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Got all five of my planned entries started.

shanerozzell
11-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Just posted the first of mine.

MamaGeek
11-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Got all five of my planned entries started.

Five minis started! And how about our ladder challenge? Do you have that mini started, Mr. Wagster? Huh? Huh? <If there was a smiley of a Mom with her hands on her hips, I'd put it here>

Oh, and how do I joing the Waghorn Fanclub? :smile:

waghorn41
11-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Five minis started! And how about our ladder challenge? Do you have that mini started, Mr. Wagster? Huh? Huh? <If there was a smiley of a Mom with her hands on her hips, I'd put it here>

Oh, and how do I joing the Waghorn Fanclub? :smile:

1. Our ladder challenge is one of the five, and she's pretty

2. Do NOT under any circumstances join the W.A.S :mad: - and don't anybody tell her how to join !

GreyHorde
12-05-2011, 03:36 AM
I opened a blister package on Sunday night. Does that count as started?

MamaGeek
12-05-2011, 05:30 AM
1. Our ladder challenge is one of the five, and she's pretty

2. Do NOT under any circumstances join the W.A.S :mad: - and don't anybody tell her how to join !

Oh, goody, a Dark Sword elf! Can't wait to see her!

Now I REALLY want to join W.A.S.!

piratemama
12-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Will Dark Sword be voting anonymously or will they know who painted what?

Darklord
12-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Will Dark Sword be voting anonymously or will they know who painted what?

they will kknow - all our contests have open entries - it's how we roll

Cregan Tur
12-05-2011, 09:26 PM
it's how we roll

http://www.allmotivated.com/pictures/Demotivational-pictures-they_See_Me_Rollin.jpg

piratemama
12-05-2011, 10:54 PM
they will kknow - all our contests have open entries - it's how we roll

Ok, thanks! First time entering a contest here so just wanted to know :) Really excited about my diorama!

Captain Sprout
12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
The Bear, she is rolling!

MamaGeek
15-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Do NOT under any circumstances join the W.A.S :mad: - and don't anybody tell her how to join !

They don't have to. I figured it out myself!

waghorn41
15-05-2011, 09:51 PM
They don't have to. I figured it out myself!

Now that's just naughty of you young lady :angry_002:

MamaGeek
16-05-2011, 04:48 AM
"Naughty" is such a relative term, you know...:tongue:

Anyways, I finally got to start on my entry tonight (Roadkill the Troll). I have to say, it's a fantastic figure, one of the nicest I've painted. I opted for a relatively simple base, a stepped tavern floor with just one spilled mug of beer on the floor. I couldn't think of much else to add without detracting from the figure or looking cluttered. Outdoor scenes are so much easier to creatively base, but this mini belongs in a bar.

waghorn41
16-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Quite happy with the faces and hair on my entries so now to start the clothing and building the flesh tones, quick wip shot of the ladies

MamaGeek
18-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Looking good, wag!

piratemama
19-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Looks great, Wag! Seems like a lot of people are doing Sansa :) I'm painting her as well :) Sadly I might not get to a diorama now because I'm dry on ideas :( So, it'll just be the three as my favorite characters :)

Ulfgrimr
19-05-2011, 09:47 AM
On the basis of the recent reviews I ordered the steampunk Jen Haley model from Darksword along with a couple of other pieces that caught my eye (you know how you do :smile:). Sometimes stuff from across the pond can take a bit of time to arrive but I was pleasantly surprised when my package arrived yesterday, 7 days after ordering, I was even more pleased when I found an extra mini inside by way of 'free swag' from the people at Darksword :biggrin: so hats off to the guys at Darksword, not only do they produce some stunning minis, both in sculpt quality and in cast quality, but obviously have an efficient operation and offer excellent customer service. Just hope my painting can do them some sort of justice.

piratemama
19-05-2011, 09:42 PM
On the basis of the recent reviews I ordered the steampunk Jen Haley model from Darksword along with a couple of other pieces that caught my eye (you know how you do :smile:). Sometimes stuff from across the pond can take a bit of time to arrive but I was pleasantly surprised when my package arrived yesterday, 7 days after ordering, I was even more pleased when I found an extra mini inside by way of 'free swag' from the people at Darksword :biggrin: so hats off to the guys at Darksword, not only do they produce some stunning minis, both in sculpt quality and in cast quality, but obviously have an efficient operation and offer excellent customer service. Just hope my painting can do them some sort of justice.

Yes, they are definitely awesome to work with :)

GreyHorde
24-05-2011, 06:42 AM
I was right...the models and the prize fund pulled me back to the workbench. Elf Princess and Thief of Hearts #3 (Fallen Angel) set up and assembled. I also got moving on several entries for Gen Con, so it was a good weekend.

MamaGeek
28-05-2011, 11:51 PM
OK, my entry is posted to the gallery!

Midwest Miniature Guy
29-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Ok. I'm a fool. How do you create a montage? Cause I really need to be able to show off the back of the mini I painted.

MamaGeek
30-05-2011, 02:07 AM
You need some kind of image editing software. There is a tutorial here on WAMP on how to use Gimp, a free program. You make the image size large enough for both, then paste the other image under the first.

shanerozzell
30-05-2011, 02:14 AM
I did this (http://www.wamp-forum.com/content.php?343-How-to-make-a-montage-for-the-WAMP-gallery-the-right-size)a while back. Pretty much the same principles apply for all image editing packages.

MamaGeek
30-05-2011, 04:26 AM
I wish I had time to paint up another entry, to double my chances, but I have two commissions waiting on me, so I'd better not delay them any longer. (That's why I got my entry in so early.)

Iacton
01-06-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm fairly well through an entry for this. Might be the last comp I get entered into for a little while as I'm moving in a month's time. Would like to get back on in time for Hasslefree and, of course, Kingdom Death.

Cregan Tur
01-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Finished my Sansa Stark entry and I'm quite proud of her. I've also started construction for my Thief of Hearts piece. You can see them in my Darksword WIP log.

Ulfgrimr
01-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Started work on mine the other day, don't know if I'm going to be able to do any more until next week now.

pae
03-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Oh yeah. I forgot about this one. I think I'll be prepping a few over the weekend, and seeing what I can accomplish. I suppose I could also finish the two that I've had in progress for about 5 months, too.

shanerozzell
03-06-2011, 06:47 PM
I have the skin painted on my second entry, spending a lot more time on this one, but it's been put back for my WAMP2011 entry.

DaveyBoy
03-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Just uploaded my entry for this one.
Will bring it along to Maelstrom Games tomorrow although I am not sure if I can also actually enter it into WAMP2011.

Darklord
03-06-2011, 10:56 PM
yes you can

LOBO
07-06-2011, 04:18 AM
So I finally received my Dark Sword order and wanted to know how much of a conversion is allowed to the figure. Lets say, I will use a Dark Sword figures torso, arms, and head and change the legs, hair, and weapons using another companies items, is that OK?,

Thanks

Darklord
07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
as much as you like - as the rules state ' as long as its inherently Dark Sword'

Iacton
07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
I think that the main thing to consider, Lobo, is that Dark Sword are doing the judging themselves, and I would guess that they are looking to see the best use of DS products more than anything.
If you feel that the final model is still inherently "Dark Sword" then that's likely to be fine, but if you're making it something completely different you aren't likely to gain extra merit points for it. :wink:

Edit - Ninja'd by the 'Lord...

MamaGeek
09-06-2011, 01:14 PM
It should probably also be kept in mind that the judges won't be able to make an accurate assessment if the photos aren't large enough. Iacton, your entry looks beautiful, as far as I can tell, but the images are just way too small. Can you post up a larger one? I'd hate for you to not place just because the judges can't see her well enough. I'd sure like a closer look, too!

Iacton
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
There is a thread for her in the display cabinet, Mamageek, but I hadn't thought to check the image resizer. I'll resubmit it shortly, thanks :wink:

brushmistress
09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Not sure if this has been asked, but can an entry here be used/entered at GenCon as well?

Iacton
09-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Don't see that something entered here would cause an issue at a bricks and mortar event. Not unless Gencon have specific rules. If it's a viceversa question, then I think that the rule is "new" work, so rule of thumb is usually something that has been finished since the announcement of the comp.

Darklord
09-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Not sure if this has been asked, but can an entry here be used/entered at GenCon as well?

All entries must be new work. (New work is defined as any entry not previously displayed on-line in a completed state (You MAY enter pieces which have been shown as a Work In Progress (WIP)).

If it fits this rule its fine

brushmistress
09-06-2011, 03:09 PM

If it fits this rule its fine

Lol - I knew the rules for this competition Brett. ;) I was inquiring about GenCon. Anyhow, just checked the rules for the GenCon painting comp and the answer is "no" should it win anything.

Darklord
09-06-2011, 03:11 PM
ah right sorry mis-understood you Jess!

waghorn41
09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Well, having told CT what do do with his Sansa Stark entry I'm now having to tackle those exact areas myself. Fortunately the 10/0 brush from Endor is ideal ( now that I've pinned and glued it after the postal service snapped it ). Might have to up my visor lens to 3.5 from 2.8 as the detail is so small.

Captain Wolverine
19-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I have come here from the Ammobunker after being sent here by sparks (not sure if that is his name here), I bought my first Darksword mini Ranger with wineskin after being inspired my the miniature mentor monochrome tutorial of the same mini so that is what I am going to try here.

Darklord
20-06-2011, 01:48 PM
welcome along Captain, looking forward to seeeing your work - best of luck in the contest

Jester 666
21-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Curses! I started visiting wamp too late to get anything done for this competition.

Next time!!! Bwah ha ha ha haaaaaaa

Darklord
22-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Only a few days left folks. Lets get those entries in - some cracking prizes up for grabs

kdlynch
22-06-2011, 07:38 PM
lol... i just started. nothing like having a bit o' pressure on. lol

NeatPete
22-06-2011, 08:15 PM
yeah, I think I'll try to rally one in if I can as well. We'll have to see if I can make it.

You can do it kdlynch!

Arithon
23-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Just built my second entry last night. Now to get it finished by the end of the weekend.....

Darklord
23-06-2011, 09:41 AM
plenty of time left folks .
In the words of Mortal Kombat........

FINISH HIM!

NeatPete
23-06-2011, 04:45 PM
(its a her)

:tongue:

LOBO
23-06-2011, 05:29 PM
(its a her)

:tongue:

same here :smile:

Cregan Tur
23-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Heh- I was thinking about writing that but decided I'd given DL enough ribbing this month.

2 of mine are done. Now to see if I can finish #3 in time.

Darklord
25-06-2011, 11:37 AM
just a couple of days left for all you non supporters

waghorn41
25-06-2011, 02:41 PM
two nearly done and two more on the go :smile:

GreyHorde
25-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Two nearly done, no worries.

kdlynch
25-06-2011, 04:09 PM
no panic here yet... give me 20 more minutes. lol

Captain Wolverine
25-06-2011, 04:54 PM
I hope this is ok but I have some WIp pics here:

http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/topic/176092/139/#new

Jester 666
25-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Nice work Captain. I love the cloak design.

Anne
25-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Just entered! :smile:

Cregan Tur
25-06-2011, 06:12 PM
2 down. I'm rethinking the 3rd. I want to do it, but now I'm not too sure about the base design I currently have. Unless I can find material to make really good looking bushes it's going to look far too large for the minis.

Arithon
26-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Two finish, one at the beginning and one at the end. :tongue:

peppepeo
26-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Posted three on 23th of june. I hope you like them.

NeatPete
26-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Finished with the base, couple base coats on the mini...

Captain Wolverine
26-06-2011, 12:58 PM
finished: http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/topic/176092/139/#new

Captain Wolverine
26-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Well I have upload my picture :D

brushmistress
26-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Finally got an entry in! I wanted to do a few pieces, but time got away from me. Hope you guys like her. :)

NeatPete
26-06-2011, 05:57 PM
well well well... Look what the contest dragged in. Can't wait to check her out!

NeatPete
26-06-2011, 06:04 PM
That Dark Sword gallery is packed with really nice miniatures! Well done WAMP.

Hope I don't have to pick the winners. Who's juding this thing again? ...Dark Sword is, phew.

Captain Sprout
26-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Agree with Pete, there are some ace looking minis filling up in the gallery for the Dark Sword comp.

Really nice reds btw Brushmistress, very striking mini indeed.

Darklord
26-06-2011, 06:25 PM
well well well... Look what the contest dragged in. Can't wait to check her out!

The mini or Jess?

brushmistress
26-06-2011, 06:27 PM
The mini or Jess?

Lol! Sorry it's been so long - I've just been lurking around here lately. Work has been keeping me very very busy. :)

NeatPete
26-06-2011, 06:58 PM
someday I'll get to meet the brushmistress... someday...

Darklord
27-06-2011, 10:13 AM
someday I'll get to stalk the brushmistress... someday...

fixed it for you mate.

42 entries so far our biggest single sponsor contest ever!

Ulfgrimr
27-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Should have another couple for you DL, if I can get my bases finished in time.

Darklord
27-06-2011, 10:19 AM
cool! wonder if we can hit 50

waghorn41
27-06-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm trying to finish 4 at the moment...

and just seen brushmistress's entry which simply blew me away.

MaGie
27-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Wow! What a great number of participants! And wonderful paintjobs :)
Good luck to everyone taking part, this will be very interesting!

Darklord
27-06-2011, 05:56 PM
1 hour left for entries

Supporters you have another 3 days.

(if your not a supporter you can become so and benefit from an additional 3 days for entries)

kdlynch
27-06-2011, 06:20 PM
and thus begins my 73 hour panic attack. lol

LOBO
27-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Man, I just got mine uploaded. First real figure I painted in 4 years too. Had major issues with the lighting and the camera pixelization of the images. The images does not do her any justice. Oh well, at least I put something in. :wink:

NeatPete
27-06-2011, 06:31 PM
I will def get mine completed. Got a couple hours in yesterday after tennis and BBQ. Painted the face and it looks pretty nice. Almost done, and liking how its looking, just a few more things to come together and then photos... cursed photos!

I'm right there with ya kdlynch!

Darklord
27-06-2011, 09:07 PM
NON-SUPPORTERS DEADLINE HAS PASSED

Supporters you got 72 hours to weave your magic

GreyHorde
28-06-2011, 02:59 AM
IMC, another 3 days would only have delayed the inevitable. :rolleyes: Well, really, I would have been overworking some areas probably best left alone. Got two in and now it's onward to Gen Con painting, anyway.

Still, thanks again for the comp and good luck to all entrants!

piratemama
28-06-2011, 05:28 AM
NON-SUPPORTERS DEADLINE HAS PASSED

Supporters you got 72 hours to weave your magic

How does one become a supporter? Are they a supporter after they donate?

kdlynch
28-06-2011, 05:30 AM
yep... donate, and you are a supporter. that simple. :)

piratemama
28-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Woot! Then I might be able to get my 3rd entry done!!! Painted the baby's room this weekend so I got nothing done :(

kdlynch
28-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Hopefully with something bigger than a 2/0 brush! >>grins<<

Cregan Tur
28-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm trying to get my 3rd and last entry copleted in time. The base is really the last big thing to work on.

Jester 666
28-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I definately don't have enough time to get anything done for this one. Been Commissioning for a few weeks now.

Any hints on future contests? lol

piratemama
28-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Hopefully with something bigger than a 2/0 brush! >>grins<<

LOL Oh yeah... wouldn't be done if I was using THAT brush! LOL

kdlynch
29-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Okay... there is no way I'm gonna finish this diorama on time.... so, plan B time. finish one of the samurai guinea pigs, temp mount it on a gaming base and just enter that. I'll finish up the other samurai/geisha and dio afterwards, but not as a contest entry.

I'm thinking perhaps I should start on my Red Box entry now to have a chance of finishing that one. lol :)

piratemama
29-06-2011, 04:11 AM
Okay... there is no way I'm gonna finish this diorama on time.... so, plan B time. finish one of the samurai guinea pigs, temp mount it on a gaming base and just enter that. I'll finish up the other samurai/geisha and dio afterwards, but not as a contest entry.

I'm thinking perhaps I should start on my Red Box entry now to have a chance of finishing that one. lol :)

Ooooo, what are you painting from RB? I love Tre's work :D

kdlynch
29-06-2011, 05:13 AM
a dio involving the two trolls :)

piratemama
29-06-2011, 05:32 AM
a dio involving the two trolls :)

Will you be doing a WiP?

kdlynch
29-06-2011, 06:10 AM
aye, I'll do a WiP for them once I start. i have a little bit more planning and an order to do before then. :)

NeatPete
29-06-2011, 10:22 AM
And.... I'm in!

Time for sleeping now.

Darklord
29-06-2011, 10:34 AM
47 entries folks - lets see if we can hit 50!

waghorn41
29-06-2011, 11:22 AM
entry number 3 finished, just need a photo now, this is my best entry of the three

MamaGeek
29-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Wow, there are so many phenomenal entries! Mine probably doesn't stand a chance now. That's ok, though. I'm still glad I entered!

Ulfgrimr
29-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Managed to get my two in at last so that should get us nearer the 50 mark :smile:.

kdlynch
29-06-2011, 06:28 PM
That made it exactly 50, Ulf. :D I'm gonna take another half-day today, so perhaps I can make that 51. lol

Cregan Tur
29-06-2011, 06:48 PM
I'll have my last one in by the deadline. I've been working on a technique for creating bushes from a model railroad website. Take some steel wool and pull it apart so you have a bundle of fibers. Twist it together in the center and glue it with superglue. Once it's dry clip it in half and you have 2 bush bases. Base coat the bushes and then use some spray adhesive and dip them in flock. Paint the flock and you've got yourself a bush.

waghorn41
29-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Entry number 3 is in, crap photo as always. Working on number 4 but don't think it will be in time and number 5 is too far away from completion

kdlynch
30-06-2011, 06:49 AM
And am now done with my solitary samurai entry. :)

Darklord
30-06-2011, 10:18 AM
I'll have my last one in by the deadline. I've been working on a technique for creating bushes from a model railroad website. Take some steel wool and pull it apart so you have a bundle of fibers. Twist it together in the center and glue it with superglue. Once it's dry clip it in half and you have 2 bush bases. Base coat the bushes and then use some spray adhesive and dip them in flock. Paint the flock and you've got yourself a bush.

that would make a handy tutorial Cregan.

Just 9 hours to go folks - 54 entries so far but still room for more!

Cregan Tur
30-06-2011, 02:01 PM
I hadn't thought of that. I'll try to work up a full tutorial from construction to painting as I think they turned out pretty good:

http://www.stonetowerminiatures.com/albums/dswolf/wolf1.jpg

brushmistress
30-06-2011, 04:09 PM
@ Cregan Tur - poor poor Bunneh! Nice little diorama! (edit: And I love how the steel wool bushes came out - I'm going to have to try that.)

So I know it's a bit early to ask, but any does anyone know when Dark Sword will be judging the entries? I'm gonna be a away for most of the weekend without "teh interwebs" and was hoping I could catch the results before festivities begin. :)

Cregan Tur
30-06-2011, 04:24 PM
@ Cregan Tur - poor poor Bunneh!

Well, he is right next to his hole, so he may have a fighting chance- more tension that way :biggrin:

kdlynch
30-06-2011, 04:30 PM
We all know bugs always makes it to the hole first when hunted... hehe. :)

Stellin23
30-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I sure hope you guys pay attention to the WIP rule. I've seen a few of these minis before, one or two are even shown on Dark Swords own website.

Darklord
30-06-2011, 06:45 PM
I sure hope you guys pay attention to the WIP rule. I've seen a few of these minis before, one or two are even shown on Dark Swords own website.

can you supply me links for any offending entries and I'll check them

Darklord
30-06-2011, 07:04 PM
DEADLINE HAS PASSED!

56 lovely entries thank you folks - by far our biggest field for a single sponsor contest.

I shall pass these over to dark Sword for judging. Results as soon as I get them.
In the meantime please feel free to view the entries. Even better comment on them, people always appreciate feedback on their work.

Dark Sword Gallery (http://www.wamp-forum.com/photopost/g733-dark-sword-2011.html)

Cregan Tur
30-06-2011, 07:06 PM

FYI- completed minis can be shown in a WIP as long as they were posted AFTER the timestamp for the miniature being uploaded into the contest gallery.

That was a good contest to participate in- I just hope I rank.

Now I've got nothing but personal projects until the Hasslefree comp, although I'll be getting an early start on it as I have a very large scope entry in mind.

krimso
30-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Phewww!

I just squeaked in at 12:59. Alas I did not have an opportunity to really work on the pics, but oh well; I actually completed something on time.

Good luck to everyone. Some really impressive stuff.

mule
30-06-2011, 08:03 PM
DEADLINE HAS PASSED!

NO NO NO,
no it hadn't - rule was GMT - you're an hour out...

Thank goodness...

Cregan Tur
30-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I just cycled through all of the entries- I am so glad I don't have to vote on this!

brushmistress
30-06-2011, 09:08 PM
NO NO NO,
no it hadn't - rule was GMT - you're an hour out...

Thank goodness...

No, he was right. 6pm GMT is 2pm Eastern Standard, which is when he ended it.

waghorn41
30-06-2011, 11:29 PM
That's it, commented on all entries. Pleae don't be offended if I've criticised your mini in any way, I look at what there is and what I think was intended. Then I open my mouth and put both feet in :biggrin:
Don't take the wag seriously.

MamaGeek
01-07-2011, 03:36 AM
So, Brett, when will the folks at Dark Sword startr looking over the entries, and when will the winners be announced?

Darklord
01-07-2011, 09:43 AM
So, Brett, when will the folks at Dark Sword startr looking over the entries, and when will the winners be announced?

Dark Sword are already looking at them though with that many entries it may take a while! As for results I will post them as soon as I get them though I have no idea when that will be - I would imagine in the next 24 hours

MamaGeek
01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Ok, thanks!

ogreninja
02-07-2011, 10:43 PM
any news on results?

Cregan Tur
03-07-2011, 04:05 AM
any news on results?

I wouldn't expect them till Tuesday at the earliest, since Monday's a US holiday.

Darklord
03-07-2011, 09:29 AM
any news on results?

As I said, as soon as I have them I will post them!!

ogreninja
03-07-2011, 10:31 AM
As I said, as soon as I have them I will post them!!

sorry for asking i should learn to be patient :08: lol

Darklord
03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
no worries mate - I didnt mean to come across so Gruff!

Captain Wolverine
03-07-2011, 08:43 PM
The wait is killing me.

I know I won't win but I'm still finding the wait agonizing

SolonaDusk
04-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Everyone's minis look really good :) i'd imagine they are going to have a hard time picking a winner! :)

MamaGeek
06-07-2011, 01:56 PM
OK, now it's Wednesday...any word yet? Waiting is much easier when you know how long you'll have to wait...has Dark Sword given any idea of when they'll have the results?

Darklord
06-07-2011, 01:59 PM
OK, now it's Wednesday...any word yet? Waiting is much easier when you know how long you'll have to wait...has Dark Sword given any idea of when they'll have the results?

nope sorry. Don't foget Jim at Darksword has a main day job too and Dark Sword fits around that !!
As soon as I know anything I shall post it here for you folks

MamaGeek
06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
As soon as I know anything I shall post it here for you folks

We know, we know, and sorry to keep asking. It's just so hard to wait! Thanks for being patient with our impatience!!! LOL!

Darklord
06-07-2011, 02:10 PM
no problem - I know what its like waiting............

............I have a wife!

dicker_koenig
06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Hehehe ;).

waghorn41
06-07-2011, 10:46 PM
no problem - I know what its like waiting............

............I have a wife!

and a black eye for typing that when she's looking :biggrin:

MamaGeek
07-07-2011, 02:41 AM

:funny:

Bloodthorn
07-07-2011, 03:37 AM
Lol!!!!!

piratemama
07-07-2011, 03:43 AM