PDA

View Full Version : Wamp's Paint for Profit Challenge

Darklord
28-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I wrote a thread the other week about comission painting and someone reffered me to a thread on another forum about a guy that had challenged himself to start with $10 and paint his way to $200 (or something like that) Anyway I thought that sounded a pretty cool challenge to do so I thought I may give it a go and wondered if anyone else also fancied the challenge?

I'm going to start with 10 and aim for 500 but you are free to set your own goals (though I think the 10/$10 start is a good one. It could be a great way to dip your toe into selling your work and getting yourself some cash at the end. You could set your target figure for enough to buy a mini you always wanted to buy but couldn't afford.

Any participating sellers I will post up the ebay links on the front page for you.

Here are the rules I am setting myself:

Start with 10
I may spend the money on any combination of miniatures, accesories etc I wish but cannot exceed what I have in the kitty.
Ebay and Paypal fees as well as postage and packing are all deductible.
I am free to use any accessories or supplies I already own or are donated free of charge.
I may use a mini i already own but must 'buy it' at RRP from the funds
I wont be counting comission work

So anyone up for this? If so add your details below

In Chigh
28-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Im up for it. Will use the same rules/settings

shanerozzell
28-04-2011, 03:22 PM
I might give it whirl in the future when I have finished the stuff I'm working on at the mo. sounds like a good idea.

RogerB
28-04-2011, 04:10 PM
yeah, when I've finished my current projects I'll try it. Do you think minis will still be popular at all in the year 2150?

Darklord
28-04-2011, 04:16 PM
only virtual reality ones mate - by time you get round to painting your 40k minis we'll have the real things running around

Cregan Tur
28-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Let me just make sure I understand the rules.

Start with a pot of $10 (or whatever I decide to start with) If I use a mini I already own I deduct the price from my starting pot. Paint and sell on ebay, but profits back in pot and repeat to build up funds.

Is that the gist of it?

Darklord
28-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Spot on mate. Where you buy from is up to you - Im looking at grabbing something used of ebay to begin with to get more for my money. As your fund grows you can buy bigger/better minis or sets or just go for quantity instead. What target you go for is up to you.

Darklord
28-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Darklord:

10 Starting Fund

Target: 500

Current Profit/Loss: 10

ScottRadom
28-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm in! I'll be using stuff I've mostly already bought though. I'll start with 10$ and see what I can do. Add the money to my Oktoberfest beer fund!

Sol Akwara
28-04-2011, 04:44 PM
OK DL,
I'll take you up on that one. I have a funny feeling I might not get there quite as quick though. :)

My ruleset...same as DL except the RRP bit. I'll use minis at whatever price I got it at (e.g. if I bought it for 5 even though GW might sell for 8 it counts as 5 from the funds).
The goal 250 - but it's more about the journey really :smile: At the very least it will encourage the painting skills to improve.

I've already managed to snaffle an XV8 Crisis Suit from ebay for 8 so I've got 2 quid left in my fund.

Tau... get yer Tau here... Aun'Va 2 fera paaaahhnd. :grin

Cregan Tur
28-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Cregan Tur

$10 starting fund

Target $500 (my real target is spending $250 on a new, high quality airbrush)

Starting Miniature: Darksword Frog Wizard
Cost: $10 (I'm rounding up the extra $0.01)

Current Profit/Loss: $0

White tiger
28-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I know it sounds strange, but as summer is upon us and car boots start up you can sometimes get some good bargins on minis there if you don't mind an early start and a root :)

Good luck all!

NeatPete
28-04-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm in! This is a great idea.

I'll be starting with $25 (so I can have two or more auctions running when I sell, better luck of getting a buyer for both and cross over exposure)
I will not consider Ebay fees or CMON credits, but I will consider shipping costs if I offer it free in my auction.
My goal is $250 and I'm hoping to do that in @ 10 minis by the end of summer.
Current PnL: -$25

Captain Sprout
28-04-2011, 05:42 PM
I couldn't do it as money will have been redecimalised by the time I completed something but its a great idea and I am certainly pulling up an interested seat.

mercius
28-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Hmm....This sounds intruiging, but I think I will hold off...got too much going on at the moment.

pae
28-04-2011, 09:13 PM
See the problem I have with this sort of challenge is actually finding people who want me to paint something for them. The most recent commission I did was for a guy who now hasn't contacted me in 6 weeks, and I've been finished with the figure for a month. Several e-mails have gone out without a reply.

Good thing I don't rely on commissions for anything other than just fun money.

Darklord
28-04-2011, 09:17 PM
See the problem I have with this sort of challenge is actually finding people who want me to paint something for them. The most recent commission I did was for a guy who now hasn't contacted me in 6 weeks, and I've been finished with the figure for a month. Several e-mails have gone out without a reply.

Good thing I don't rely on commissions for anything other than just fun money.

well this is not about commissions but selling on ebay or similar

Sparks
28-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm tempted, but may have to use a prebought model or something similar. Could buy something like a Jokaero though...hmm. The original thread is a great read and the guy did really well with IMO none too spectacular (but effective) results. Will let you know if I decide to join in though!

warhammergrimace
28-04-2011, 09:36 PM
sounds like an interesting challenge, I'm in...I have some stuff I planned to paint and sell, so this will be excellent motivation.

waghorn41
28-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Well now, there's a challenge. Question is could I paint anything people would want to pay good money for? I do have some old GW unpainted that I could use that would probably sell anyway as it's old school stuff. trouble is I've got so much other painting 'targets' at the moment don't know how I'd fit this in. Ah what the hell let's go for it.

Start 10
Target 100 - and I'm being very optimistic, probably overly so...

Ok, before anyone starts I did sell a Wyrrd Telepath on ebay and my LA Immolator conversion sold well too

So I'm in

woohoo ! post number 4500 :biggrin:

waghorn41
28-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I know it sounds strange, but as summer is upon us and car boots start up you can sometimes get some good bargins on minis there if you don't mind an early start and a root :)

Good luck all!

I'm the only person I've ever seen selling minis and stuff at a car boot !

ScottRadom
28-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Allrighty, I'll try a Hasslefree chaos dwarf. I bought it for 4.00gbp which translates to $6.50 in real moneys. DL, do you want to set up a sub forum or something for this? Where would you like us to put the threads for this. I'd kinda like to see them all in one place. I thin this will be a GREAT way for each of us interested to sort of learn things about what sells and for waht on eBay and the like.

warhammergrimace
28-04-2011, 10:42 PM
I think I may start on one of the spare spyglass minis I have, which I bought for 0.99 in The works....

In Chigh
28-04-2011, 11:04 PM
In Chigh:

10 GBP starting fund

Target 500 GBP

Ive 'spent' my 10 quid already, on 20 Victrix Highlanders and a colonel i already own. I will also be doing a number of scratch built scenery/objective/marker thingys for FOW using stuff i can get for nothing (or have negligable cost) such as building materials, plasticard, sand from the kids playpark around the corner (im not joking!), branches and flock

Balance - 0 GBP

...and apologies for writing 'GBP' all the time, damn german keyboards have no pound symbol...

earthpig23
28-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Saw this and started a goal of 250.00 US before I could post I got a phone call from a friend and referred me to someone I now have a 345.00 check and a bunch of warmachine models to paint.

warhammergrimace
28-04-2011, 11:47 PM
@earthpig: Nice one

Darklord
29-04-2011, 12:32 AM
I can set up a sub-forum no problem and we can each have our own thread if you like unless you guys want to keep it all in this one?

warhammergrimace
29-04-2011, 12:35 AM
It will probably be better for seperate WIP threads, as well as using this one for general chat about the challenge

Darklord
29-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Ok I'll set a sub forum up tomorrow - I think the WIP section would be best

EldinTux
29-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Interesting concept, and yes I'm interested, but have a little too much on atm - although ....

..... I'll get back to you :)

exilesjjb
29-04-2011, 01:54 AM
I will give this a go start with 10 and aim for 1000 I shall call it the "Papa wants a new laptop challenge"

warhammergrimace
29-04-2011, 08:27 AM
I think I'll initially aim for 500, and once I reach that target up it to 1000. This is becasue I want a HD pro camera, and I get one for around 800-1000, or I just use the money to buy video editing kit, as I could do with a MiniDV player.

exilesjjb
29-04-2011, 09:06 AM
I have done a bit of thinking and I am going to start with 25 that way I can get a DMA or FOG 15mm army because I can paint that up quick and I know they sell, will post which army when i get up later for now I'm off to bed as the new puppy should be tired now :)

Darklord
29-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Right I have moved this to its own section. If you can start your own individual threads in there to detail your progress. We cans till use this thread for general challenge discussion

MaGie
29-04-2011, 09:40 AM
I might have a go at this. I've been thinking about selling my minis on ebay for a while now. I would like to do commissions, but no one is interested ;)
I won't be able to start anytime soon though. Maybe at the end of July I will be able to do some more painting. I would set up a plan that involves me painting minis that I already own, instead of buying new stuff. But of course I can refer to the cost of the mini & stuff when I bought it...
Really looking forward to see how this works for you all :)

jens
29-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I think I might join in but with a twist - 50% of the auction money will always directly go to the WWF.

Vern
30-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Top idea - I think I might have a go at this

Joek
30-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Very tempted! Might well be the way I can fund the creation of a new figure! That or sausage rolls. The eternal battle between Greggs and Mini production never ends.

May well start with 0 though - got an awful lot of figures I can paint up, so I might play it a different way?

Darklord
04-05-2011, 10:31 AM
In case you havent already seen it:

Ebay Selling Article (http://www.wamp-forum.com/content.php?269-10-ways-to-sell-better-on-Ebay)

NeatPete
04-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Which photobucket link do you paste in the description to get the photo to show up?

Darklord
04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
erm the html one I think mate been awhile since I have done it - I think you can list more picture free these days anyway

TaleSpinner
04-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Does sculpting count?

waghorn41
04-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Which photobucket link do you paste in the description to get the photo to show up?

the bottom one, click on it and the text should change to 'copied' then just paste as normal

Darklord
05-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Does sculpting count?

sure, scenery, buildings etc too

War Griffon
06-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Had an e-mail from EBay earlier it is no fees listing again over the weekend, don't know if this applies to everybody but thought I would mention it for you all :smile:

Darklord
06-05-2011, 01:15 PM
your joking? I wouldnt have put all mine on last night if I knew

War Griffon
06-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Nope but like I said it may not have gone out to everybody, it arrived in my inbox just after midnight apparently.

Darklord
06-05-2011, 01:39 PM
cancelled Bilbo and will re-list him this weekend - dont like doing it but he's worth trying bigger bucks for. left the rest though

kdlynch
18-05-2011, 03:16 AM
Can I start with $250 and work with a goal of $10?

hehehehe

Idea is intriguing... may have to give this a try in the near future, after I finish up some other things.

Firedragon Games
21-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Cool idea... kinda like WAMP does The Apprentice type challenge.

Just sold a load of my old painted 40k figs from Rogue Trader days. Got one or two unpainted/ half finished ones (yeah.. been meaning to finish it for the last 20 yrs), so could use one of those as a starter.

Aim for 500 I think, by xmas would be good.

Donga
07-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Just found this thread, been loitering on PB and The Basement alot recently. What a blindingly good idea. I'm setting myself a big challenge then. I am skint, I also owe my parents 1000 for the purchase of my current car (and fixing the old one, but that's another story).

Donga's one grand challenge!!! Start with 10 and times it by x100, there's going to have to be some smart trades and selling to get the maximum out of this. I've got some experience selling on ebay/commissions so I'm not new to this. I've sold armies for close to that figure but I don't know whether it'll work.

Dead line, June 1st 2012. It's a big figure! If I've managed to clear my debts before that date (don't snigger!) I'll get another new car (you'd understand if you saw my current 'new' car).

Now to find a miniature ;)

Darklord
07-06-2011, 04:08 PM
(you'd understand if you saw my current 'new' car).

Is it a student's car?

War Griffon
07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Is it a student's car?

Apparently there's holes in the floors the more people he can con into riding with him the faster it goes

The holes are because it is peddle power, passengers put their feet through the holes and start peddling the road :smile:

Donga
07-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Is it a student's car?

That would infer some level of coolness, it has NO level of coolness!

Darklord
07-06-2011, 05:26 PM
is it too old to be a student then?

Donga
08-06-2011, 05:49 PM
No, just too Citroen Picasso...

Orki
08-06-2011, 05:57 PM

Aaarrrghhh!!!!!!

Cregan Tur
08-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Is it missing a door mirror or a turn signal... whatever would be comparable to an ear for a car.

Donga
09-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Two head lights at one side.

If it was on the other side of the pond, its almost a 'mini-van.' That's the sort of car.... DULL!!! Hardly a Dodge Charger al la 'Bullit' or even a Mustang...

Found a miniature to paint BTW, purchased for 8 from Salute two years ago!!! AND a resin plinth, free sanple off Ian/BNSMiniatures :D The game is on!

2 in the kitty ;)

NathanS
11-07-2011, 04:18 AM
I will do this soon I hope.

Darklord
11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Don't forget anyone taking part if you provide me with your listing numbers for ebay auctions I will add them to the front page ebay widget for free for you. pm me the numbers

Nomad
12-07-2011, 04:59 AM
I have some Hasslefree minis I got as a 2 for one deal. I might start with the freebies and see where we go from there.

Having never listed a figure for sale on Ebay or elsewhere, are there any tips you can give me for the listings that might maximise the exposure and get the best price?

Darklord
20-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Free listing weekend on ebay uk, always worth putting stuff on for a higher price during these - costs you nothing if they dont sell

@Nomad, sorry didnt see your post - I wrote an article on ebay selling a while back - go search in the articles for it - should help

NestorV
05-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Just wanted to ask how can we deal with stuff we paid nothing for them. I got a Rhino I have put on ebay, but I never paid for it. My brother gave it and he had bought it about 10 years ago. Should I list it as an expense with its current price?

Darklord
05-11-2011, 11:24 AM
its up to you really mate. I try to include the cost of them in mine simply to demonstrate profit margins if I bought everything. In reality however most of my stuff I didnt buy, its either swaps, gifts or prizes.

There are no set rules to the challenge merely guidelines, your free to set things how you like. Some people aren't including postage and fees, others are

NestorV
05-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Got it. I just find that painting my minis for profit through the means of a challenge and a set monetary (is this the right word??) target will probably keep me going. Second point is that I got some models from my brother who fell off the 40K wagon many years ago in order to get them on ebay and keep the money to get on with painting, instead of him having 20+ models in the eye of the storm aka his airing cupboard.. Most of them are sold, so I do not count them anyways, but I got the money from them to get a new project on that will end up on ebay soon..so I will participate with my own thread:rockon::jiggy:

Darklord
05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
sounds good mate, look forward to seeing how you get along

sublimebrushwork
25-11-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm up for this. It's about bleeding time I got motivated to start painting for profit and for comission and this is just the thing to get me going. Will start my own thread...