PDA

View Full Version : Maelstrom Games Banelegions Painting Contest

Darklord
04-04-2011, 12:05 PM

It's time for our latest painting contest and it gives me great pleasure to announce our newest sponsor in the form of Maelstrom Games. Many of you will be aware of Maelstroms excellent store, both on-line and the one at Mansfield. The focus of this contest will be on Maelstrom's very own range of rather nice miniatures from their Banelegions range.
This contest will be slightly different to our usual fare!

Prizes:

1st: Gold Trophy and 75 credit
2nd: Silver trophy and 40 credit
3rd: Bronze trophy and 20 credit

The Deadline for entries will be 6pm 6th June 2011
(Supporters deadline will be 6pm 9th June 2011)

The rules:

You must be a Wamp Member to participate. Membership is free and you may register here. (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/register.php)
You may enter as many times as you like but each entry may only submit one photograph so if you need more angles it MUST be a montage.
Images must be no larger than 800 pixels wide by 2500 pixels high. (It is your responsibility to check this).
any additional photographs of that entry will be removed.
You give Wamp and Maelstrom Games permission to use your pictures for publicity (but you do retain ownership).
You may post pictures of WIP or final shots both here and elsewhere.
Judging will be conducted by Maelstrom Games.
Submissions must be posted to the Banelegions album (http://www.wamp-forum.com/photopost/g723-banelegions.html)
Credit is eligible at Maelstroms Mansfield store or on their website

You may enter a single miniature,diorama full 300 piece battle scene - whatever you like as long as its inherently Banelegions.

Please folks make sure you read the rules (especially the new work one!!)

Maelstrom Games will be judging the contest and will include consulatation with some of their Studio painters: Matt Cexwish, Ben Komets, Raffaele Picca and Sebastien Picque.

The Banelegions are a great range with some stunning (and frankly massive!!) monsters as well as more human sized figures if you prefer something smaller.
To view the range please click here (http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=cat&cre=min-blg&sou=cat)

So there you are folks - should be a great contest and you get a little longer than usual.

So get painting!

Oh wait! You want more? Well, OK then how about this:

If you are attending WAMP2011 (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showthread.php?6608-Wamp2011) then you will have a 2nd chance to win even more!

Any Banelegions entries at WAMP2011 will be judged by Maelstrom Games and Wamp with the following prizes available:
1st: Gold Maelstrom Trophy and 75 credit
2n: Silver Maelstrom Trophy
3rd: Bronze Maelstrom Trophy.

These prizes are in addition to the on-line ones so you are eligible to win prizes in the on-line section and at WAMP2011 too - You could walk away with 2 trophies and up to 150 worth of credit!! These are also in addition to the category and best in show trophies at WAMP2011!
Even better Maelstrom's very own tame photographer Stu (ex GW Studio Photographer) will be on hand to take pictures of your entry if you wish. These photos can be used for the on-line section of the comp - a great chance to get some top quality photos of your work.

Now that really is everything. As always any questions feel free to contact me!

Cheers

Brett

War Griffon
04-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Nice, all I have to do now is paint something :smile:

Darklord
04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Nice, all I have to do now is paint something :smile:

I know - they make you jump through hoops these painting contests dont they!

War Griffon
04-04-2011, 01:24 PM
The hoop at the moment seems to be on fire and I can't find the fire protection gel to smother on!!!!!

seasonman
04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
All I need now is a model and learn how to paint . hee childs play lol. :tongue::Pain:

DiStudios
04-04-2011, 04:34 PM
The range has been growing on me recently, I think I will this a shot. Either ways it's an excuse to feed my resin addiction :P

Captain Sprout
04-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Shiny, have banelegions models.

Nice comp DL and Maelstrom.

Sparks
04-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Right, picked up a chimera on ebay that's already been sprayed a certain shade of brown and had some drybrushing on the model done already. What do I need to do to allow me to enter properly? Respray? Or put sufficient work into tweaking what's already on it? I assume the former, but just want to check!

Vern
04-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Ooo nice, time for pre-order :biggrin:

ralfmetal
04-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Aye this may get some attention! quite fancy one of those huge bane beasts!

ScottRadom
05-04-2011, 12:54 AM
The site seems to only have the mini's in for pre-order? I'd like to get some over here to paint up, anyone know if they have stock or not?

MiniT
06-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a Banelegion Mini. Maelstrom Doesn't seem to have any until after the contest?

ScottRadom
06-04-2011, 05:32 AM
D'oh! If that is the case at Maelstom then I am out of the contest. And a little dissapointed. I put in a 100gbp-ish order just to get my mini for the contest. I will feel like I was defeated by Jesus in an arm wrestle if it was all for not.

Darklord
06-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Some are already released and in stock - the others are available for pre-order and released 7th May

orb
06-04-2011, 02:38 PM
I've the Rat Ogre thing - had it since last year.......gorgeous sculpt:
http://banelegions.maelstromgames.co.uk/?tag=bnb-006

quite a big piece relative to 30mm figure (the skin of a human is being worn as a loincloth)

Darklord
06-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah I think the size surprised a lot of people until we saw comparison shots.

bananaman
06-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a Banelegion Mini. Maelstrom Doesn't seem to have any until after the contest?

Not sure I understand you? the release date of all 6 BaneLords shown so far is as stated on our webstore May 7th (though we'll have for sale at salute Mid April and will most likely start shipping the week after Salute if we have the stock remaining, which we should). The contest ends 6th or 9th of June.

BaneBeasts are already on sale, only two are up for pre-order at the mo (both ship in May also), the rest are in stock and ready to ship. Our store has live stock levels and we're currently boxing up additional stock for Salute.

BaneLegions is the name of the range as a whole as other bane-related releases will fall under this umbrella in time.

Have you been on the dried frog pills? :tongue:

Darklord
06-04-2011, 05:55 PM
I think the confusion is maybe down to the American date system. On the site it says 7/5/11 for some pre-orders. Now to us that is the 7th May but the US has the date the wrong way around so to them thats the 5th July and may be the source of confusion?

Though as stated the Banebeasts are already available anyway!

We wouldn't organise a contest if there weren't any minis available!

bananaman
06-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Heh, of course. The American date system is backwards! :wink:

To clarify the dates on our site are dd/mm/yy

mercius
06-04-2011, 07:56 PM
You know us, we take something used by 90% of the rest of the world and decide we want our own system. Of course Scott is from Canada.

Darklord
06-04-2011, 07:59 PM
You know us, we take something used by 90% of the rest of the world and decide we want our own system. Of course Scott is from Canada.

Yes but Canada is a Commonwealth country so he's exempt from ridicule (though theres a lot of frenchness going on there - not sure how they got in our little group to be honest)

mercius
06-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Okay, so the mini I want to paint for this contest is pre-order. It becomes available on May 7th. How much shipping time is there? The contest ends June 9th for subscribers, that give me almost no time to pain counting in shipping times to America. I guess I could order something already released, but man I have my heart set on one now and so many awesome Ideas flowing through my head....actually motivated to paint for the first time in months just thinking of it.

Darklord
06-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Tim stated elsewhere they are hopeful to start shipping the week after Salute if possible - so theres every chance you get it sooner (though no guarantee of course!)

mercius
06-04-2011, 08:28 PM
I guess I should bite the bullet...at least it is a miniature I would paint outside of a contest. I actually have some great ideas for it!

mercius
06-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Yes but Canada is a Commonwealth country so he's exempt from ridicule (though theres a lot of frenchness going on there - not sure how they got in our little group to be honest)

I am guessing the word "surrender" is used in the explanation.

Darklord
06-04-2011, 08:38 PM
I guess I should bite the bullet...at least it is a miniature I would paint outside of a contest. I actually have some great ideas for it!

Go on my son!

Sparks
06-04-2011, 11:18 PM
@Darklord- did you get a chance to see my post on the first page regarding my Chimera? need to know if I can enter it or if it needs a respray!

Captain Sprout
06-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Or one of us can grab it for you at Salute, you send the money over by Paypal and we post it. Then you can get it faster.

I am happy to do that if the mini will be at Salute and don't want money in advance in case there is no stock so you wouldn't lose anything or have to hand money over to dodgy strangers like me before the mini is bought. :biggrin:

Darklord
07-04-2011, 12:07 AM
@Darklord- did you get a chance to see my post on the first page regarding my Chimera? need to know if I can enter it or if it needs a respray!

well it ounds like a respray would be better but no need as long as its just a base coat type state at present.

Sparks
07-04-2011, 01:12 AM
I'll pm you a pic at some stage in the next week or so to double check. Cheers for getting back to me though!

mercius
07-04-2011, 01:19 AM
Or one of us can grab it for you at Salute, you send the money over by Paypal and we post it. Then you can get it faster.

I am happy to do that if the mini will be at Salute and don't want money in advance in case there is no stock so you wouldn't lose anything or have to hand money over to dodgy strangers like me before the mini is bought. :biggrin:

We can work it that way, that would be great. When is Salute?

Vern
07-04-2011, 01:55 AM
and will most likely start shipping the week after Salute if we have the stock remaining, which we should

Good to know, ta

ScottRadom
07-04-2011, 02:19 AM
I passed on the banebeast option, awesome, beautiful mini's that I'd never paint. Just too big for what I am doing nowadays. So I'll take my chances with the 3 or 4 little fellers I orderd and see if they show up in time. If so.... yippee!

And don't drag me down for not getting the date's right Mercius... I was just going by what you said! I didn't get the release dates wrong, I just ignore things like that entirely and skip over them. Fine print and such is for sucka's anyway. Just like voting in elections.

MiniT
07-04-2011, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the clearification guys. Sorry if I caused a fuss. There isn't a rule against Americans is there?
Thanks Again.:wink:

Darklord
07-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I'll pm you a pic at some stage in the next week or so to double check. Cheers for getting back to me though!

OK mate - dont worry too much - we are pretty relaxed on our contests. The rules are more for those folks not just stepping over the line but speeding past it in K.I.T.

Darklord
07-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the clearification guys. Sorry if I caused a fuss. There isn't a rule against Americans is there?
Thanks Again.:wink:

Of course not mate - probably about 25% of wampers are US based - Wamp's like the Technicolour Dreamcoat of the Mini painting world - British, Yanks, French, Dutch, Aussies, Saffers, Russians and plenty in between to boot, Wamp's even got a Brazilian! :lol:

mercius
07-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Of course not mate - probably about 25% of wampers are US based - Wamp's like the Technicolour Dreamcoat of the Mini painting world - British, Yanks, French, Dutch, Aussies, Saffers, Russians and plenty in between to boot, Wamp's even got a Brazilian! :lol:

WAMP got a brazillian? Hot date?

Darklord
07-04-2011, 07:03 PM
WAMP got a brazillian? Hot date?

Yup, got asked out by Chest of Colours - with a name like that theres bound to be action!

Captain Sprout
07-04-2011, 08:26 PM
We can work it that way, that would be great. When is Salute?

Its next weekend, drop me a PM if you want me to try and pick a few things up for you. :biggrin:

Darklord
07-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Its next weekend, drop me a PM if you want me to try and pick a few things up for you. :biggrin:

Can you bring me back a McVey for Painting? Not bothered which...........

.....Mike or Ali.

Captain Sprout
07-04-2011, 09:00 PM
No worries, I am sure one of Mike or Ali will fit in the boot and we all need one so its a WAMP service really.

bananaman
20-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Any BaneLords/Euryalia/Tygandr pre-orders will have shipped this week. 3 weeks (ish) before release date!

:)

Vern
20-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Got mine this morning & their a bit nice :smile:

bananaman
21-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Glad to hear - we'll always ship earlier if we can! :)

For anyone umming and ahing about entering - we have a 16% off voucher on our webstore over Easter enter Easter-2011 in the code box on at the checkout stage and get extra discount!

Saves you over a fiver on the Chimaera!

(works on many other ranges on out store too!)

mercius
21-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Capt. Sprout picked up my mini at Salute and is mailing it to me, isn't she a peach!! I am looking forward to this competition very much and am really going to try and push myself to the next level for this one.

Sparks
02-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Oops, just bought two character models to go alongside the Chimera! Paypal is a dangerous thing...

NeatPete
14-05-2011, 10:26 PM
I've got my model: cleaned, assembled, green stuffed, primed and sitting with two coats of paint on it! Man its been a while since I painted something. Feel good :)

bananaman
19-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Trophies for the BaneLegions sub-category at Wamp 2011 are on their way - don't forget there's an online contest and another contest at the Wamp 2011 event itself, both with awesome prizes and you can enter both!

NeatPete
19-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Should I send you my addy for the gold trophy now or do I really have to wait till the contest is over? :tongue:

bananaman
19-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Stick a 20 sheet in there and we'll call it a done deal hey? ;)

Darklord
25-05-2011, 03:08 PM
No long left folks - get those entries in.

NeatPete
25-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Was working on mine last night. Coming along nicely if I don't say so myself. :) Just feels good to be painting again.

mercius
25-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Mine still needs a lot of love...between work and school the time dwindles away. Add to that a mini I am painting for charity and another for an exchange for a friend and I have -100 hours a week to paint.

NeatPete
26-05-2011, 03:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

ScottRadom
26-05-2011, 05:32 AM
I'm banging away on mine. Takin' a loooooong time to get it done. I went for a display base and a slightly nurgley bend on the axe wielding dude with the mask. Cool mini for sure!

bananaman
26-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Trophies are sorted for the Wamp event element of the comp and of course for the online entry muchos goodies awaits!

Keen to see what you guys come up with.

NeatPete
26-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Another night of painting this for me last night. Got about an an hour or so in and some good work done on the metallics. Still a ways to go but at least most of the mini is covered in paint at this point.

So I got that going for me.

Sparks
26-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm hoping to squeeze in a mad few days before Wamp, go half term holidays! Everything on the chimera takes twice as long as you'd think though!

Darklord
06-06-2011, 03:40 PM
I am going to extend the deadline for entries by 3 days, so normal deadline will now be 9th Kune and the supporters deadline will be the 12th june (both 6PM British Time)

Darklord
10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
2 days left supporters - get those entries in, some lovely bounty and trophies up for grabs for you folks

Darklord
13-06-2011, 08:55 AM
DEADLINE HAS PASSED!

thanks for the entries folks. Time for Maelstrom to do their thing.

Please feel free to go comment on the entries, people always appreciate feedback on their work

Banelegions entries (http://www.wamp-forum.com/photopost/g723-banelegions.html)