PDA

View Full Version : Member Review: Woodland Scenics' Fine-leaf foliage

Orki
18-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Righty ho then, another little mini review for you chaps, and this time it's Woodland Scenics' Fine-leaf foliage.

While initially sceptical due to the cost, as soon as I popped a carton open for a sneaky rummage in the shop, I knew these were gonna come in handy. :)

I've been stocking up on all sorts of supplies recently, and to help diversify my stash of natural plants and foliage for basing and dioramas I decided to grab a few cartons of this awesome stuff. Available in a few flavours, I opted for a box each of Olive Green, Dead Foliage, and Fall mix. They do light and dark greens too, though they were too verdent for my tastes and would be a little more restrictive as to what other tones worked well with them. YMMV of course and I wouldn't want to put anyone off them, as they are still very useful products.

Pic - Top to bottom - Olive/Dead/Fall (I'd already pulled some out of the cartons in these shots too)

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu168/OmegaPiccyCo/Minis/Woodlandscenics-FLF-cartons.jpg

As you can see each tray is brimming with the sticky-leafy good stuff, and despite costing about 12 a carton, they will last a very long time with the scales we work on. Coming in 6x9x2" tubs, they represent great value for money when you consider how much those cacky plastic trees are, or how long it would take you to replicate this product manually. I'm sure any railway modellers among us would disagree though, especially if you were wanting to cover a large amount of terrain with them, though there are much cheaper options available in the form of clump-foliage and bulk packs of posable armatures etc.

So essentially these are a box of varying sized, pre-made, natural armatures covered in shredded foam, much in the same manner as most scale trees really. These structures can be left as is for some thick, bushy, tree-like foliage, or pulled apart to form little plants and sprigs to suit. The amount of variety that the observant modeller can produce is utterly staggering. You'll have to play yourself to see just how usefull this product is, but i've already found so many cool little bits in there that my poor little orky brain is starting to hurt!
Each carton also comes with a single posable synthetic tree armature too, which has a thicker trunk and branches for a different, more sturdy tree look (other species armatures available seperately too). The natural armatures covered in the foliage that make up the rest of the box vary between about 0.1mm-5mm in dia.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu168/OmegaPiccyCo/Minis/Woodlandscenics-FLF-detailandscale.jpg

And a close up with 28mm fig for scale...

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu168/OmegaPiccyCo/Minis/Woodlandscenics-FLF-closer.jpg?t=1300457138

Umm, thats about it for the mo. Oh you want a Verdict?

Why haven't you bought some already?! :D

knott47
18-03-2011, 07:02 PM
I'll second that! This stuff is bloody brilliant and as mentioned it lasts ages. I bought two packs over two years ago and I've still got plenty left. The fall mix is very useful.

White tiger
18-03-2011, 07:10 PM
It looks really cool :) alas I've already reached my spending limit this month...

mercius
19-03-2011, 12:49 AM
My local hobby shop sells these and I have been on the fence...looks like it is time to buy a few and dress up some bases :)

Darklord
23-03-2011, 12:29 AM
nice little review Orki

Ulfgrimr
23-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Nice article Orki, bought some of this a while back but never had the chance to use it, after seeing your review that'll have to change :smile:.

NeatPete
23-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info bud.

seasonman
26-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Very nice review . Very useful Thank you. :smile: