PDA

View Full Version : Studio McVey Painting Contest

Darklord
09-02-2011, 05:11 PM
A new year means a new set of Wamp Specials and to carry on the new theme we welcome a new sponsor to Wamp. It's one that needs no introduction as its one of the most popular companies amongst Wamp members.

I have great pleasure in announcing the Studio McVey painting contest!

Studio McVey produce some fantastic miniatures that are prefect for showing off your skills and they have even just launched Sedition Wars so there's even more mini goodness to choose from.
As if that wasn't enough Mike And Alison have kindly agreed to judge the contest for us so its a rare chance to get your work critiqued by some of the most well respected painters around.

Still unsure? Really? Your joking right?!! Well just in case you aren't how about some lovely prizes to entice you?
We have some fantastic prizes for our worthy winners:

1st - 75 of credit at www.studiomcvey.com (http://www.studiomcvey.com)
2nd - 40 credit
3rd - 25 credit

The Deadline for entries will be 6pm 28th March 2011
(Supporters deadline will be 6pm 31st March 2011)

The rules:

You must be a Wamp Member to participate. Membership is free and you may register here. (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/register.php)
You may enter as many times as you like but each entry may only submit one photograph so if you need more angles it MUST be a montage.
Images must be no larger than 800 pixels wide by 2500 pixels high. (It is your responsibility to check this).
any additional photographs of that entry will be removed.
All entries must be new work. (New work is defined as any entry not previously displayed on-line in a completed state (You MAY enter pieces which have been shown as a Work In Progress (WIP)).
You give Wamp and Studio McVey permission to use your pictures for publicity (but you do retain ownership).
You may post pictures of WIP or final shots both here and elsewhere.
Judging will be decided by Studio McVey.
Submissions must be posted to the Studio McVey album located here. (http://www.wamp-forum.com/photopost/g707-studio-mcvey.html)

You may enter a single miniature,diorama full 300 piece battle scene - whatever you like as long as its inherently Studio McVey.

Studio McVey can be found here (http://www.studiomcvey.com/)

Enjoy!

Brett

War Griffon
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Nice, very nice...

Orki
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Brilliant! Thanks to A&M and all involved in getting this one together. :)

But hey, they don't need no silly competition to nit-pick our vein efforts, they're more than welcome to come over and widdle on my work any day they choose. :redface:

seasonman
09-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice contest . Hope to see lots of entries and I can predict there will be . Good luck to all and thanks to Mike and Alison for their support and very generious prizes. :heart:

Spellscape
09-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Nice - now I'll make use of their beautiful models

precinctomega
09-02-2011, 06:26 PM
New work is defined as any entry previously displayed on-line in a completed state

"Not displayed on-line", surely?

R.

MaGie
09-02-2011, 06:35 PM
That's wonderful! This will surely be a popular contest. For me personally it will mean painting a miniature I'm way too scared to ruin :)

waghorn41
09-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Might have to get one of their minis and enter - just to make the numbers up you understand, and make everybody feel better about their own entry :biggrin:

Nameless
this one will bring some well-known names here ;)
so, bye-bye prizes, but I intend to use the deadline to paint that Lt. Kara I have :)

Shaps
good timing i have just ordered a mini from there yestereday, hopefully i can do it justice and not butcher it !!

SilentBob
09-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Nice one! I have so many of their beautiful minis, but they're almost all still in the packaging :/ Maybe I can get motivated now...

Darklord
09-02-2011, 07:07 PM
"Not displayed on-line", surely?

R.

It is Wamp mate we do things differently here!!

(but in this case your correct!)

Valloa
09-02-2011, 07:12 PM
What about conversions with parts, scenics, or bases from other manufacturers. Does everything need to be 100% Studio McVey/scratchbuilt or just the figures?

Darklord
09-02-2011, 07:20 PM
What about conversions with parts, scenics, or bases from other manufacturers. Does everything need to be 100% Studio McVey/scratchbuilt or just the figures?

Ah sorry I have updated the relevant phrase to mirror previous rules:

You may enter a single miniature,diorama full 300 piece battle scene - whatever you like as long as its inherently Studio McVey.

So to be clear yes conversions, additions, etc are fine as long as its still obviously Studio McVey product(s)

Studio McVey
09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

Ali and I are excited to see the entries, I'll post a link over on our forums.

Good luck!

ChemicalFencer
09-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I would love to have taken part. But I'm moving country so everything is being put in storage very soon. Can't wait to see the entries. Good luck to those who enter!

CF

Ulfgrimr
09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Great stuff Brett and many thanks to the McVeys for sponsoring.

Iacton
09-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Hmm... I wonder what Ar-Fienel would look like with a Burberry check dress.....? :rolleyes:

Great effort Mr J and thanks to Mr & Mrs McV. This will be the impetus I need to get at least one of their models out of the tin and onto the desk.

Quote me happy!

Darklord
09-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Hmm... I wonder what Ar-Fienel would look like with a Burberry check dress.....? :rolleyes:

Great effort Mr J and thanks to Mr & Mrs McV. This will be the impetus I need to get at least one of their models out of the tin and onto the desk.

Quote me happy!

Worth keeping your fingers then?

Iacton
09-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Maybe...

Depends on whether the little conversions that I had in mind are difficult or not. :wink:

Darklord
09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
actually thinking of your burberry - may fit the sky rider

Vern
09-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Very nice, should be extremely popular

KittenCeleste
09-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Cooooool, finally an excuse to paint one of the mini's I've got hidden away... But which one? That's the hard part! :p

Many thanks to all involved making this =)

TheBugKing
09-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Wow.

I might actually enter a painting contest for once. This is very attractive. (Not that I'll win anything mind you. But still looks to be truly fun!) Now to order something and hope it gets here with enough time to actually paint it up well!

pae
09-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I have a few McVeys that I've been wanting to paint for a while. Awesome!

Captain Sprout
09-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Cool, have a mini so ought to enter!

Nice work DL and round of applause to Studio McVey, purveyor of nice things in resin.

Bet we have loads of entries, great stuff.

Twosoc
09-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Cool, I plan to enter this one, just ordered mine. I hope I actually get round to painting it, my weathered monthly entry is still on my monitor needing basing. Ooops.

Sparks
10-02-2011, 12:14 AM
+1 to the 'this is the excuse I needed to buy a Mcvey model'

Just got to choose (at least) one now!

ScottRadom
10-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Cool!

Simon.W
10-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Excellent news, have been looking forward to this happening. Time to go and dust the cobwebs of my brush`s and paints.

three little pigs
10-02-2011, 06:08 AM
Pity Im not up to speed, I love drooling over their stuff. I should order something to show my appreciation to the Mcveys for sponsoring a comp. Where to start where to start?

Iacton
10-02-2011, 09:57 AM
1 model completely prepped last night (lots of pinning bits that I broke whilst cleaning up......) and a second built, ready for a bit of putty and to complete the base too.

RogerB
10-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Hmm, all my McVey minis are over with Liz, not that I think I could paint one in one month.

italaerei
10-02-2011, 12:24 PM
I really should have a look at the forum from time to time (If I had time enough, of course).

I mean, the McVey are sponsoring a contest here! I grew up watching Mike's work in White Dwarf UK. It was some kind of legend for me 20 years ago. And now Mike & Ali are sponsoring a contest for a forum I'm in. It's like..wow!!!

I really need help to get the storage room tidy and set up a painting table. Not that I think I could get a prize, but I need to take advantage of the advice I know I can get there. And believe me, I need all the advice yo can get me.

Good luck for the contestants!!!!

Darklord
10-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I really should have a look at the forum from time to time (If I had time enough, of course).

I mean, the McVey are sponsoring a contest here! I grew up watching Mike's work in White Dwarf UK. It was some kind of legend for me 20 years ago. And now Mike & Ali are sponsoring a contest for a forum I'm in. It's like..wow!!!

I really need help to get the storage room tidy and set up a painting table. Not that I think I could get a prize, but I need to take advantage of the advice I know I can get there. And believe me, I need all the advice yo can get me.

Good luck for the contestants!!!!

Yes you should Bad Italaerei :08:

Lets face it Studio McVey is Awesome, Wamp is awesome, and your all awesome - the amount of gravitional awesomeness (its the 5th basic force in the universe) is immense, in fact theres so much centered on the site right now we risk pulling in Def Leppard, Ba Baracus and a whole box full of Wham bars

Iacton
10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Def Leppard is not, never has been and never will be awesome...

Darklord
10-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Def Leppard is not, never has been and never will be awesome...

oh come on now how can you not call this awesome?!!!

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/defleppard/defleppard1.jpg

Iacton
10-02-2011, 04:53 PM
oh come on now how can I get Toni to let me put this on the wall of the bedroom without her suspecting?!!!

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/defleppard/defleppard1.jpg

Fixed.

three little pigs
11-02-2011, 12:14 AM
DL could try putting the pic up on the toilet ceiling no one ever looks up in there, unless they are having a quick Jodrell ......in which case it would be perfect.......... OMG

I'm not sure seeing DL (Def Leopard, hmmm something suspicious there) in their Brit pop undies while eating my breakfast has done my constitution much good. "Pass the laudinum nana I'm having a coniption fit"

3LP

Darklord
11-02-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm not sure seeing DL (Def Leopard, hmmm something suspicious there) in their Brit pop undies while eating my breakfast has done my constitution much good. "P

when having your cereals did they start singing "pour some sugar on me...."

Iacton
14-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Good progress on the 1st entry over the weekend. Black is such a pain to blend though...

War Griffon
14-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Good progress on the 1st entry over the weekend. Black is such a pain to blend though...

Darkness by any chance??

Iacton
14-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah, but no but.... :confused:

It's not the Darkness that I have been attempting to paint black (obvious as that might be... ), but I have been working on that as one of the entries.

Darklord
14-02-2011, 07:32 PM
go on tell us, its not PB you know you can tell here!

War Griffon
14-02-2011, 07:33 PM
lol
Have to be honest and if I was to enter this (hopefully will but have to finish a couple of other projects first) then Darkness and accompanying female would be one of my choices :smile:

Darklord
14-02-2011, 07:36 PM
I think I could happily paint ANY of the McVey miniatures

Captain Sprout
14-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I do love the Darkness mini and keep meaning to buy it.

Iacton
14-02-2011, 09:25 PM
The Darkness is a really good "organic" model to paint, Y'Sala is really quite busy though. Fiddly even...

I hope to get some WIP stuff up at some point. :wink:

Captain Sprout
15-02-2011, 11:41 PM
I'd like the monster and don't so much like the figure, I guess that might be why I don't own it. Might buy it at Salute and see if anyone wants the figure.

pae
16-02-2011, 03:33 PM
If you can't find someone to take the chick off of your hands, let me know. Definitely interested, even though I have both the monster and the figure already. I can never have too many of a really cool figure.

Iacton
18-02-2011, 09:54 AM
All I have to say right now is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-HHuZNnFc&feature=related

:mad:

Darklord
18-02-2011, 10:17 AM
looks a bit like Martyn :cheeky:

War Griffon
18-02-2011, 10:20 AM
looks a bit like Martyn :cheeky:

Nah, far too much hair to be anything like me, besides he isn't grumpy enough...

Captain Sprout
18-02-2011, 09:14 PM
If you can't find someone to take the chick off of your hands, let me know. Definitely interested, even though I have both the monster and the figure already. I can never have too many of a really cool figure.

Cool, thanks Pae.

Iacton
22-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Y'Sala & The Darkness very very nearly finished. Couple of tidy ups here and there, and some final highlights to do tonight, then can do some proper photos (I'll pop some of the WIP ones up in a bit).

Will have a little Hasslefree break and then move onto the next one... :redface:

KittenCeleste
23-02-2011, 06:43 AM
Lisbeth conversion is in the works! Hope I don't mangle it completely...
So if McV gets a desperate 'quicklyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... pwwweeeeeaaaaaase' order for a Lisbeth during the next week or so.. you'll know how it all went. :redface: :06:

Darklord
23-02-2011, 11:38 AM
(I'll pop some of the WIP ones up in a bit).

:fretTick Tock Tick Tock.

Iacton
23-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Didn't have enough web time yesterday. I did put it in the WIP competition bit on PB though. I'd consider taking it to compete at Salute, but I think it would have to go into Miscelleaneous, which I already have other ideas for...

Darklord
23-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Didn't have enough web time yesterday. I did put it in the WIP competition bit on PB though. .
I know. I was been facetious

Iacton
23-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Try some laxatives then :rolleyes:

Chameleon
25-02-2011, 10:08 PM
OK, so I was tapping my fingers trying to make a base for an elven Salute entry and all I kept on thinking was "I'm bored of basing- I want to paint something". Ar-fienel is the only McVey mini I've got and was sat right there tempting me- I've given into the temptation!

So, she's now prepped and the first colours slapped on. My only worry is that this mini had one of the best paintjobs of the year in Ali's version- that makes it pretty difficult to put your own stamp on it!

I'm going to try though :D

Darklord
26-02-2011, 01:15 AM
good luck sue - loved your KD piece so have high hopes for this one too - higher standards now your a demon winner these days!!

Iacton
26-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I had the same wobble when I opened the box and looked at the models that I had. Ali's Ar-Fienel is a bit of a seminal piece really...

Good luck though, I'm sure you'll be more than fine :wink:

Joek
26-02-2011, 09:05 PM
OK, so I was tapping my fingers trying to make a base for an elven Salute entry and all I kept on thinking was "I'm bored of basing- I want to paint something". Ar-fienel is the only McVey mini I've got and was sat right there tempting me- I've given into the temptation!

So, she's now prepped and the first colours slapped on. My only worry is that this mini had one of the best paintjobs of the year in Ali's version- that makes it pretty difficult to put your own stamp on it!

I'm going to try though :D

You can do it Sue :) . If you want further proof that there are other ways to paint her up, here's a photo I nicked from over at the McVey forum.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5552/af1d.jpg

Now, I really like that one above, but I think you're a better painter than that, but it's very different in tone. Much more autumnal in feel. I admit though it's a fairly tough one to do - I look at my copy of it regularly, but can't somehow bring myself to do it, although I'd like to think I'd attempt a much more 'wood elf' colour scheme with her, and probably carve off half the stone base to get some sort of tree branching out over it!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing her :)

MaGie
27-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Pff this is gonna be something. I prepped my mini today, and I was even quite scared to ruin the priming :( I should read that article from Steve Buddle again :wink:

Chameleon
28-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I've decided to go away from anything purple/pink because it would be too easy to compare it with Ali's. As Joe suggests, I'm going to go for more of a wood elf green. I was tempted by light blue but I'm painting another mini in light blue and didn't want to get bored!!

I've also decided not to go with the faded-flower effect thingy, although that might be a bad move.

@Joe: Thanks for the pic. That's definitely the nicest non-Ali paintjob that I've seen and does make me think it's possible to produce something that can stand up in it's own right. I can but try!! It's nice of you to say that I'm a better painter than that, but I think we'll have to wait and see on this one!!!

@ MaGie: which mini are you doing? I too was fairly nervous priming my mini as I had a small disaster with my last resin effort, which took me about 2 hrs with tiny pieces of sandpaper to smooth out!!

skippen
28-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Ordered mine this weekend. I wonder if it will get here in time? Probably, CMON is really good about shipping here in the states. Now, the next challenge is will I finish it in in time. I really good at starting minis, but finishing is a whole other thing.

NeatPete
01-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Do I dare throw my hat in this ring...? yikes. I've always been afraid of these minis, will I find the cahones to step up and paint one of them?

Iacton
01-03-2011, 01:02 PM
1st entry finally finished, will hopefully get it entered later today :smile:

Had a lot of fun with this one so far. Hopefully will get the second done in plenty of time too.

Darklord
01-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Do I dare throw my hat in this ring...? yikes. I've always been afraid of these minis, will I find the cahones to step up and paint one of them?

never been a better time.

You should'nt be scared of painting a mini - its what they are there for

NeatPete
01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Well now that Scott just dropped that rediculous pic of the mini I was going to paint.... errr uhm... F you Iacton, lol.

Iacton
02-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Gesundheit, Pete! :wink:

Darklord
02-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I hope folks don't get put off by Scotts offering.
How many of us enter Golden Demons or the like. We all know there will be tons of great entries in those yet we enter anyway. Most of us don't enter a contest only if we can win it we do it for the taking part, the challenge and the opportunity to push ourselves further than we would normally. For most of us competitive painting brings out our best work so this is the perfect tie to paint those mini's you are a little scared off. No need to be scared of it, it's only a piece of resin it ain't gonna come to life and kill you like those cabbage pail dolls or chuckie. Get them painted, push yourself and have fun, thats what its all about.
Use other entries as a benchmark and aim to surpass them or at least to attain a similar standard depending on where your level is at the moment. Look at the Kingdom Death contest. A great entry early on b Lexi made Orki push himself further than he would have done otherwise. If Lexi's entry had been put in at the last minute Orki would'nt have tried as hard and probably would'nt have won the contest.

For all you sat wondering whether you dare paint that mini just do it, otherwise it will still be sat there in 10 years time and you still won't have the courage to paint it. Get the brushes out and have fun, it's the Wamp way

Iacton
02-03-2011, 10:34 AM
It's sometimes said that certain minis "paint themselves".

Test the theory... :wink:

MaGie
02-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Well said DL!

No need to be scared of it, it's only a piece of resin it ain't gonna come to life and kill you like those cabbage pail dolls or chuckie.
That's hilarious! I'll put it on my whiteboard at my paint desk :)

Darklord
02-03-2011, 10:42 AM
It's sometimes said that certain minis "paint themselves".

Test the theory... :wink:

Yeah I tried that - it's still sat there looking blankly at me, hasn't even prepperd itself yet, lazy bloody mini.

Iacton
02-03-2011, 11:11 AM
That's cos you haven't thinned the paints yet, doughnut.

They only paint themselves if the paint is correctly thinned. It's not like they are big enough to lift the pots/bottles too... :rolleyes:

skippen
02-03-2011, 01:49 PM
I would be set if CMON would ship mine out. Normally, they are very fast. Quite impressive, but for some reason they are still processing my Studio McVey figure. I am slow painter as it is. I don't need there help slowing me down. I have a hard time finishing models. Great at starting them, but finishing them is a whole other story.

Darklord
02-03-2011, 07:50 PM
I would be set if CMON would ship mine out. Normally, they are very fast. Quite impressive, but for some reason they are still processing my Studio McVey figure. I am slow painter as it is. I don't need there help slowing me down. I have a hard time finishing models. Great at starting them, but finishing them is a whole other story.

sounds like they are waiting to get some stock in

skippen
02-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Perhaps, but it says there are 63 in stock on the site.

Darklord
02-03-2011, 08:46 PM
I'd drop Borg a line and chivvy him on a bit

Darklord
07-03-2011, 02:44 PM
3 Weeks To Go

skippen
07-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Got my figure on Friday, but sadly as I was assembling it last night, a piece broke. Not sure if I will be able to get this guy finished in time. It is minor, but I can hope.

Darklord
07-03-2011, 03:46 PM
skippen you got 3 weeks plus the supporters 3 extra days - thats 24 days - 24 hours in a day thats 576 hours or 34,560 minutes or nearly 2.1 million seconds - you got loads of time!!

skippen
07-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I do, don't I? I just hope the new piece comes from England in time. I tried sculpting a new piece, but boy was that a disaster. I am hoping I can just glue it on with other stuff painted, or somehow conceal it by clever basing.

Darklord
07-03-2011, 03:53 PM
I am hoping I can just glue it on with other stuff painted, or somehow conceal it by clever basing.

http://www.bi-focal.com/images/Archive_posters/guinness_believe.jpg

Darklord
16-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Come on folks get those entries in! Lot of lovely prizes for you to win

Spellscape
16-03-2011, 04:15 PM
I really want to finish in time :-)

skippen
16-03-2011, 04:35 PM

I'm trying! Beware slow painter here.

pae
16-03-2011, 07:53 PM

I'll get going on mine again once I finish a commission piece I've stalled out on. :-/

Chameleon
17-03-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm very slowly getting there! I think I'll be going to the wire on this one!

Iacton
17-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I spent much of yesterday evening building the scene for the second McVey piece. I should have the base painted by this evening, and that should be enough to force me to get that done by the deadline too.... :redface:

NeatPete
17-03-2011, 10:42 AM
yes please!

MaGie
17-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Oeff this is coming along quickly! I guess I should fill my entire weekend painting :)
At least I finally picked out a base...

mule
20-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I do, don't I? I just hope the new piece comes from England in time. I tried sculpting a new piece, but boy was that a disaster. I am hoping I can just glue it on with other stuff painted, or somehow conceal it by clever basing.

Does anyone know how long it is likely to take for shipping to Australia? I ordered a Studio McVey piece on the 9th, I've no idea when it is likely to arrive.

Iacton
21-03-2011, 01:47 AM
When I used to post to Aus regularly it took 10-14 days on average to arrive.

2nd piece very nearly finished. :cool:

War Griffon
21-03-2011, 10:40 AM
When I used to post to Aus regularly it took 10-14 days on average to arrive.

Shame it doesn't work that way with stuff coming from Aus, I ordered the Auscon figure over a month ago and I am still waiting for it to arrive :o(

Iacton
21-03-2011, 11:09 AM
I emailed Allan at Auscon and they have been waiting for blisters to arrive for the minis. They are expecting to post out in about 1 week

War Griffon
21-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Cheers Mate, e-mailing them was going to be one of my jobs for this weeks :smile:

Darklord
21-03-2011, 09:57 PM
1 week left for entries

Chameleon
22-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Is there a time deadline for entry submission on the 28th March?

Darklord
22-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Is there a time deadline for entry submission on the 28th March?

6pm GMT

NeatPete
22-03-2011, 02:26 AM
Alright, just walked like 20 blocks in the rain to get a mini from a buddy for this... If that aint iron, I don't know what is.

Darklord
22-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Alright, just walked like 20 blocks in the rain to get a mini from a buddy for this... If that aint iron, I don't know what is.

Go on my son!

Darklord
23-03-2011, 12:10 AM
the standard of entries so far is fantastic - keep em coming folks

Chameleon
23-03-2011, 12:15 AM
@NeatPete: Good show :-) That doesn't give you much time to get it painted!! Although I forget that I'm about 20x slower than most painters I guess.

I'm now behind schedule again as I was planning on an evening of solid painting, but I've ended up not being able to see my mini as I've had too much sparkling red wine in celebration of getting a surprise promotion today.

A very pleasant use of an evening, just not a productive one! Too late now, I might as well go with the wine flow I guess!!! :-p

Woooooo, wine. Yey.

Darklord
23-03-2011, 12:20 AM
congrats on the promotion Sue!

NeatPete
23-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Grats Sue. Painting after drinking is one of my favorite activities. Wait a minute... Maybe thats my problem!

pae
23-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Yay! Just bought myself three extra days!

:-D

Darklord
23-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Yay! Just bought myself three extra days!

:-D

Good man.

Disclaimer: The extra three days relates only to the studio McVey contest. Wamp has no ability to increase lifespan.

NeatPete
23-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Lol.

Thats okay, I'm actually one of these anyway, I just haven't told anyone yet.
http://green.yahoo.com/blog/guest_bloggers/26/the-world-s-only-immortal-animal.html

ScottRadom
24-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Wow! That animal is super cool!

DaveyBoy
25-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Just uploaded my entry for this one.

Darklord
25-03-2011, 08:40 PM
very nice - gonna be a great contest

aphorys
28-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Just uploaded my entry for Mc Vey contest.
just at last minute !!

Now, AOW contest, faster,faster,faster...:belial:

Darklord
28-03-2011, 03:05 PM
4 hours left

rusto
28-03-2011, 05:59 PM
hello!!

sorry for my delay,

less than 2 minutes to the deadline!!! ahahah

ciao...

Darklord
28-03-2011, 06:11 PM
good stuff Rusto (though you actually have another hour!)

Darklord
28-03-2011, 07:36 PM
DEADLINE HAS PASSED! (for non-supporters.)

Supporters you have 72 hours left to get those entries in

MaGie
28-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Thank heavens for the supporter deadline, I'm sneezing so much I can't paint a damn thing...

Wonderful entries so far... this will be a killer!

Darklord
28-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Wonderful entries so far... this will be a killer!

Yeah its a high standard and a pretty level one too - Portal's gonna look nice!

pae
28-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Pretty much down to the base and the sword on mine, and then I can enter it. Of course, I'll probably want to spend another 10 hours on it afterwards to fix all of the stuff I've screwed up.

Darklord
28-03-2011, 08:04 PM
it'll be fine man - everyone thinks that!

mule
28-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah its a high standard and a pretty level one too - Portal's gonna look nice!
Wow, there are some nice pieces in here. I'm glad I don't have to pick the winner.
:biggrin:

Darklord
28-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Wow, there are some nice pieces in here. I'm glad I don't have to pick the winner.
:biggrin:

erm yes you do. did you not know? Oh and if its not done in time we open the trapdoor. You have 12 seconds remaing.............

Darklord
30-03-2011, 09:19 PM
And so we are into the last 24 hours - get those entries in folks - chop chop!

pae
30-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Not happy with mine, but I'll get pictures taken tonight (when the natural light doesn't interfere with the other lights).

MaGie
30-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Pfewww it's done! Now just get some decent pictures and I can sleep well tonight :)

EDIT: It's in! I think all the wonderful photography tips have helped. So far she looks exactly like she looks when I hold her. Hopefully it is like that on other monitors as well ;)

pae
31-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Mine's in, but I'm not sure I'd call it done. So much I should fix on this one.

Darklord
31-03-2011, 09:13 AM
10 hours left me luvlies.

Dont forget to make sure the photos in the correct album and is the right size (click it to full size to make sure)

Darklord
31-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Mine's in, but I'm not sure I'd call it done. So much I should fix on this one.

I'm trying to say this in an un-offensive way but that I was shocked when i saw yours - I wasn't expecting it to be that good. You've raised your game on her she's lovely, loving the dress colour. In fact all the entries so far are top notch and just about everyone seems to have pushed their painting ability up a notch . I think we all had a lucky escape not having to choose a winner!

Twosoc
31-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Well Mine's in complete with dire photography again. One of these days I'll take a decent picture.

mule
31-03-2011, 01:43 PM
... I think we all had a lucky escape not having to choose a winner!
HEY! didn't I just get dropped down a trapdoor for that?

Darklord
31-03-2011, 01:49 PM
HEY! didn't I just get dropped down a trapdoor for that?

Yeha but Aussies like been down under

Darklord
31-03-2011, 05:56 PM
1 Hour to go!

If you've got an entry to put in I would get cracking!!

Darklord
31-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Deadline has passed!

No more entries. it is over to the judges to pick us some winners. in the meantime however if you can take a minute to go check out the entries and leave some comments. Feedback is valuable and the main reason many people enter our contests. Theres some stunners in there. I think its the tightest contest we've ever had (I seem to say that every contest!)
Well done folks.

Contest Gallery (http://www.wamp-forum.com/photopost/g707-studio-mcvey.html)

pae
31-03-2011, 07:21 PM
This one is going to be close. I'm glad I don't have to pick 3 out of this lineup, because I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time narrowing it down that much.

Chameleon
31-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Yea, I'm glad I'm not choosing, that's for sure! I reckon I could narrow it down to about 7 but I'd be stuck after that!

jens
31-03-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm glad too not having to judge the entries - it's obvious everyone painted the respective mini a lot of effort and attention to detail. The best part I think is that hopefully this will motive both McVeys to continue producing such wonderful minis; I guess it must be among the most rewarding parts to see others value and enjoying your products. The entries made that part clear.

Darklord
31-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Yes I think it's testament to the quality of the minis that they produce such good paint jobs. I haven't had the fortune to buy and paint one yet but I get the feeling they are the types of miniatures that 'paint themselves' to coin a prase - Hurrah to the McVeys!

Chameleon
31-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Yea, the sculpts are amazing. Plus, when you compare the casting quality to Kingdom Death (which I personally consider to be the other top painter's resin company) the McVey minis are way better cast than KD - You get none of that shrinkage wiggly line nonsense!!

Of course, I've only actually painted one of each so that might be a touch unfair!

Either way, Studio McVey is no. 1 on my list of places to visit at Salute- sorry wallet...

jens
01-04-2011, 12:25 AM
... they are the types of miniatures that 'paint themselves' ....

I'd disagree - they are beautiful miniatures, but I think really challanging and at times really hard work. The amount of detail on the one hand guides you, but it took me at least a lot of concentration when painting the miniatures. They are worth the effort - no doubt on that. I got most minis of them by now twice - since I want to paint them again once I get better in painting. Some detail work of Ali amazes me :)

Iacton
01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
I tend to agree with Jens on this. They were real painters' models in terms of the mixture of detail and textures. The 2 that I painted were almost completely different in the approach to them. That is part of the appeal though; you can change up the style for each model as you see fit.

Darklord
04-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Results are up:

Studio McVey Results (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showthread.php?6769-Studio-McVey-Painting-Contest-Results&p=126859#post126859)

aphorys
05-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Very, very, very, good contest
congratulation for the winners and all others.

if you not win, you can have an honourable mention.
it's big.

thanks