PDA

View Full Version : Citadel Brush Set???

rupshall
20-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the new(?) GW brush set? My W&N are needing replacement and I can get the GW locally vs. having to pay shipping for W&N.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod40006a

Thanks,
Robert

War Griffon
20-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Would you use all the GW brushes that come in that set?

Personally I only use GW brushes for mixing paint or dry brushing, for what you are paying out for the GW brush set you are better off buying selective sizes from W&N or Rosemary & Co.

Boris
20-12-2010, 07:22 PM
The citadel master paint brush set are actually WN7s, these ones are not that good by a long mile.
I tried one out when they were first released and it was dead after painting one figure (about 13 hrs work), which is pants.

WN7s can be bought cheaper at some discount outlets, otherwise you'd be better getting a few select sizes from somewhere else as WG suggests.

If you want cheap brushes for rough painting, have a look at some of the synthetic ranges, or cheaper bristles from Rosemary. They'll cost less than these.

Noddwyr
20-12-2010, 07:32 PM
I know Tommie Soule over on CMON uses the GW basecoat brush for all his personal work and his work is fantastic so that brush could be good if you pick properly but other than that i would go with Rosemary &Co.

Darklord
20-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I would recommend getting Rosemarys. W&N are good too but I prefer Rosemarys

mercius
20-12-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't have any experience with the high end brushes yet, though getting some W&N's for Christmas...that being said, I currently use these brushes and have had no issues with them. I clean them after every session with pink soap and after 7-8 months they still all hold perfect points. That being said, I can't offer any advice on them versus the higher end brushes.

Darklord
20-12-2010, 07:53 PM
I currently use these brushes and have had no issues with them. I clean them after every session with pink soap and after 7-8 months they still all hold perfect points. That being said, I can't offer any advice on them versus the higher end brushes.

It's all relative I suppose. These will be better than the real cheap brushes and as such will seem decent - until you try something better you often don't realise the improvement.
Not everyone will prfere W%N, Rosemary's or Raphael's but the vast majority will and would'nt go back to cheaper brushes. Though to be honest Rosemary's are I think cheaper than GW's!!

Its not just about keeping a point, better quality brushes generally have better snap too and abilities to hold paint in the bristles that creates smoother brush strokes

Boris
20-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Do you mostly dry brush? If yes, then don't buy expensive brushes, you won't notice any difference, except to your wallet. Buy cheap and cheerful and enjoy your painting. :)

seasonman
20-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I like so many here would go with Rosemarys as a very good brush at a very good price and service second to none . But to each there own . My advice buy or test if poss to see / feel the diference . And a piece of free advice never lend a brush to anyone as it never feels right when returned . All the best .

Undave
20-12-2010, 08:38 PM
If you do get any GW brushes from the store you get the massive advantage of examining them first. There is a massive range of quality between individual brushes. As Boris said her's died relatively quickly but because of very careful selection and a healthy dose of luck I've managed to keep using the same GW standard brush for the past year or so. Conversely I got a couple of W&N7s as a present and they hooked almost immediately so I haven't bothered with them since.

warhammergrimace
20-12-2010, 09:58 PM
The GW brushes are utter KAK, and I wouldn't bother with them, you may as well go into the works and pay 1.99 for a set of cheapass brushes, as they're about the same quality as the GW ones. I'd go with Rosemary, just as cheap and 10 times better. The GW brushes can't hold a point and don't even try using foundation paint with them, they die pretty quickly when used, complete utter garbage they are. I wasted some good honest money on them when they first came out, I may as well have bought some toothbrushes to paint with instead, they'd probably have been far better. Definately check out Rosemary.

frogimus
20-12-2010, 11:15 PM
I love my Raphaels, and the W&N is turning into a real good workhorse. I'd like to give R&Co a shot eventually

Vern
20-12-2010, 11:30 PM
So is that, yay or nay Jason? http://serve.mysmiley.net/happy/happy0176.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Havoc7926
21-12-2010, 09:43 AM
I do use GW brushes but only for drybrushing and stippling and maybe for whole figure washes. Basically the stuff I don't want to use my Rosemary & Co brushes for in case it damages them.

To be honest the price and customer service from R&C is so good I'd rather get some more of them than walk the 10 minutes to my local GW to buy their brushes. I'm certainly not a good painter and whilst I don't 'blame' the brushes for my lack of talent I do just find it 'easier' to paint with the R&C than the GW ones. I'm sure the better folks here will know why (they talk a lot about 'snap' and 'loading' the brush and stuff like that) but all I know is it's more fun because it's slightly easier.

Iacton
21-12-2010, 10:14 AM
GW brushes on the whole are poo poo kaka. :tongue:

Rosemarys much MUCH better, W&N series 7s too.

EldinTux
21-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I bought some new GW brushes about a month or so ago just 2 a standard and a fine detail, both don't hold a point at all. Worst brushes I've ever bought

Iacton
21-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Even GW don't use GW brushes (in the studio!)

FACT.

Darklord
21-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Even GW don't use GW brushes (in the studio!)

FACT.

Confirmed!! where do you think my Windsor and Newtons came from? A nice present after my Eavy Metal interview!! (though I rarely use them as I have Rosemary's!)

White tiger
21-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Ummm, I use the two finer GW brushes they sell and like them if that's any help (they have light orange and yellow ends) I used to not like the brushes but the new ones I find are okay.

However, I find the bristles tend to split after a while and I either have to cut them or replace them.

The brush I use for my thinnest work I have no idea what make it is, just reads '00 pure sable AES' I got it from a show and cannot remember the poor womans name who was selling them :S which is a shame. It's brilliant.

Dysartes
21-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I tend to use GW's brushes for three things - drybrushing, applying glue for basing, and for painting metallics. For those needs, they've been fine, though I recently killed a Standard brush after best part of a year of misuse. I've been using brushes from Rosemary since last Christmas, and they're great.

warhammergrimace
21-12-2010, 02:19 PM
They can also be used to pick your nose with, LOL

Orki
22-12-2010, 06:19 AM
So is that, yay or nay Jason? http://serve.mysmiley.net/happy/happy0176.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

I did wonder too y'know. It came across as a vary fair and impartial review n all that, but I just couldn't help thinking that there was no real conclusion. I mean, should we go and buy these then or what, Jason?

Rychwa
22-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I see a lot of people here saying no. I say buy them! Try them! Either your going to like them or you'll have spare brushes for like what Havoc7926 said. We have all been down this long road to find the perfect brush and the answer is we need different brushes for different things. It all really boils down to getting the paint where you need it. Brushes and paint will be the cheapest part of this hobby, well maybe the rinse water is the cheapest, but you know what i mean. Just have fun.

Crazy mojo here, i used a Q-Tip the other day too stipple with.

warhammergrimace
22-12-2010, 12:59 PM
@Orki; only if you want a GW branded nose picking tool, LOL

Iacton
22-12-2010, 01:06 PM
They are excellent for cleaning your ears out, saving your q-tips for painting with...

Orki
22-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Are you sure they're no good? The dude in the shop says they will make me paint better.

I dunno guys, are they better than what i'm currently using? All the pros use these too I heard though some peeps like the durability of the Citadels. Personally I prefer the finer tip on my Crayolas.

http://content.etilize.com/Large/11961104.jpg

Rychwa
22-12-2010, 07:38 PM

mercius
22-12-2010, 07:39 PM

It is what we do here at WAMP.

Shaps
22-12-2010, 08:32 PM
ive been using gw brushes, they seem to be ok and tried army painter brushes which fell apart after a cpl nights painting. i am gonna try some of the R + C brushes to see what they are like.

warhammergrimace
22-12-2010, 08:37 PM
I've heard that bog brushes are really good....

knott47
22-12-2010, 10:03 PM
army painter brushes which fell apart after a cpl nights painting.

Yep Army painter brushes are poo! I've got a set knocking about and as you said the metal separates from the wood with remarkable ease, utter toss!

Shaps
23-12-2010, 01:48 PM
yeh im off to get some new ones for xmas, windsor and newton ones so they should be good.

Keeper
24-12-2010, 11:13 AM
I've heard that bog brushes are really good....

Heard? I thought that was what you used by preference? :wink:

warhammergrimace
24-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Only for tanks, they really are too small for painting faces...LOL