PDA

View Full Version : RGM Review: Forums (CMoN, WaMP)

Hinton
20-09-2010, 02:11 PM
A review of a few online miniature painting forums: Cool Mini or Not, Wargames and Miniatures Paradise and Forum of Doom.

Each one has something special about it, so tune in and see which one might fit your needs best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc84vmInTsI

shanerozzell
20-09-2010, 02:20 PM
On your scoreing system... is 5 tabletop?:tongue: Great review, very useful! I have only looked at FOD once and since then completely forgotten about it. Cheers.

Hinton
20-09-2010, 02:24 PM
On your scoreing system... is 5 tabletop?:tongue: Great review, very useful! I have only looked at FOD once and since then completely forgotten about it. Cheers.

Indeed it is. :biggrin:

Darklord
20-09-2010, 02:28 PM
wow! cheers Hinton - I was so nervous watching that!
I find it interesting how people say wamp differently!

Hinton
20-09-2010, 02:29 PM
It's just how I say it, so hopefully it's in the neighborhood of correct.

Darklord
20-09-2010, 02:32 PM
its a bit like scone I think two ways same with Wyrd (though i think thats just mr Cardiss been daft) some say Wamp as in Swamp others say Wamp as in amp!

I say who cares as long as you enjoy wamping

shanerozzell
20-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I vote for the Swamp WAMP!.

EldinTux
20-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Nope definitely amp WAMP. Great review Hinton :smile:

kdlynch
20-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Another great review vid, Hinton. ^^^ I give it three out of two eyeballs. hehe

(another "amp" wamper here)

Ulfgrimr
20-09-2010, 04:39 PM
amp WAMP for the win, wonder if it's a regional thing? Great review Hinton, shame you decided not to tackle the scoring system :smile:.

Lost Boy
20-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Another great review :smile:.

I felt a bit sorry for Andy Foster of Heresy Miniatures, though. The Forum of Doom is pretty much his baby (I think he does all the admin, and is the only judge who usually comments on the entries for the Diorama of Doom competition the site runs every year...) and yet he doesn't even get a mention, only Hasslefree...which is only one of the four companies on it...:confused:

waghorn41
20-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Got to be swamp-wamp! Great review, really enjoyed it. Have to check out this FoD site now.

NeatPete
21-09-2010, 12:06 AM
swamp wamp? No way!! amp WAMP for sure!

My favorite part of your reviews is pausing them and trying to get the silliest face I can get on you. LOL....

Good stuff though Hinton, Keep em coming!

Hinton
21-09-2010, 12:17 AM
My favorite part of your reviews is pausing them and trying to get the silliest face I can get on you. LOL....

Gee...great...

:biggrin:

I felt a bit sorry for Andy Foster of Heresy Miniatures, though. The Forum of Doom is pretty much his baby (I think he does all the admin, and is the only judge who usually comments on the entries for the Diorama of Doom competition the site runs every year...) and yet he doesn't even get a mention, only Hasslefree...which is only one of the four companies on it...:confused:

And I do apologize for that. It wasn't my intention to slight or ignore anyone. As I've mentioned to others, since Hasslefree is the only company on that forum that I've bought minis from, it was the only one that I felt comfortable talking about. Plus, it's also the site through which I found the FoD.

However, again, I do apologize profusely. Self-flagellation will commence.

lizcam
21-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Donna swamps and I amp. Great review, BTW.

Simon.W
21-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Definitely amp for Wamp here and another good RGM review .

ogreninja
21-09-2010, 05:57 AM
good review me and mrs o really enjoyed watching it

Darklord
21-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Donna swamps and I amp.

so the rumours are true

Hinton
23-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Apologies to anyone that can't see the videos now. I've locked most of them (all the review ones, anyway) and am still deciding on what to do.

Again, sorry.

kdlynch
23-09-2010, 12:55 AM
locked most of them? can we ask why?

Orki
23-09-2010, 02:56 AM
amp here too!

Hinton
23-09-2010, 04:59 AM
can we ask why?

Some things have been said and I've pulled the videos to try and avoid problems.

kdlynch
23-09-2010, 05:01 AM
aww... sorry to hear that, Hinton. I thought the reviews were good (and my statements outweigh all negative statements :P ). I hope this doesn't keep you from doing more.

Darklord
23-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Some things have been said and I've pulled the videos to try and avoid problems.

anything wamp related? If you need to pm me about it

Lost Boy
23-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I think I know who and why, and I hope I didn't say anything that contributed to it...:frown:

As for pulling the other ones...there was nothing negative (or, sort of, one-sided) on them so I'd keep them up. In fact, I'd redo the "offending" one and insert another place instead...

If that's what the problem's been? I might just be talking a load of old bollocks...:redface:

Twosoc
23-09-2010, 12:06 PM
deffo amp up your Wamp.

Hinton
23-09-2010, 02:28 PM
I thought the reviews were good (and my statements outweigh all negative statements :P ). I hope this doesn't keep you from doing more.

Most of the feedback has been good and fairly positive, even from those that don't necessarily agree with what I say; however, sometimes all it takes is one individual to ruin things for the rest of us. Still debating on whether I'll out-and-out delete the videos (they're just private at the moment) and whether I'll make any more.

anything wamp related? If you need to pm me about it

Nothing WaMP related, although I may PM you about it.

I think I know who and why, and I hope I didn't say anything that contributed to it...:frown:

As for pulling the other ones...there was nothing negative (or, sort of, one-sided) on them so I'd keep them up. In fact, I'd redo the "offending" one and insert another place instead...

If that's what the problem's been? I might just be talking a load of old bollocks...:redface:

You didn't say anything that contributed to the problem as far as I know. I was thinking about re-doing the video, but someone said some things and, as I said, I'm debating what to do.

Ulfgrimr
23-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I hope you keep on with them H. I've really enjoyed your mini related reviews and they're informative as well. It's also been nice watching the WSL stuff which gives a lovely insight into your community in York . I'm not so fussed about the content of the movie reviews as I'm not a great movie fan but despite this I've still really enjoyed your delivery and the ARG moments. It'd be a real shame if you decided to pack them in.

kdlynch
23-09-2010, 02:43 PM
however, sometimes all it takes is one individual to ruin things for the rest of us

And ruin it he did... but this is the intertubes, and there's always a rotten apple lurking about. anonymitity (sp) and all that. Glad to hear at least it wasn't WaMP related. ^^

Personally, I think you should tell them to take a long hike off a short pier, and if they don't like your reviews/etc, then they just can change the effin' channel.

Captain Sprout
23-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Don't let people put you off doing your vids Hinton, they are your opinion after all.

If someone has been sending mean emails about them I would ignore that person. Internet hassling is pretty sad.

Darklord
23-09-2010, 07:22 PM
they're just jealous Wamp scored highest :first:

Hinton
23-09-2010, 07:52 PM
they're just jealous Wamp scored highest :first:

hehe; could be.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments. I'm still debating on what to do.

Darklord
23-09-2010, 07:53 PM
well I hope you carry on - at least with any official wamp reviews - you will have the full might of Wamp behind you if you do

Hinton
23-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks, DL.

lizcam
23-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Hinton, as someone who gets jumped almost every time I voice an oppinion about anything other than flirting and innuendo on certain boards (not this one) all I can say is screw them. Do what you do and unless you're being threatened with a law suit don't sweat it.

mrs ogreninja
23-09-2010, 09:22 PM
i agree with what every ones said being fairly new to the hobby your reviews have been very helpful please keep on with them

shanerozzell
23-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Here here. You have saved me time and money with these reviews so long may they continue. besides My Randomly Angry Girlfriend also likes them. (see what I did there.....:tongue:)

Hinton
24-09-2010, 01:10 AM
@shane: yes, I see what you did there. :smile:

Again, thanks for the kind words and encouragement, everyone.

After giving it a lot of thought, I've made all the videos public again, with the exception of the Forums Review; that one will be re-edited and re-posted (sucks to lose the views, but them's the breaks).

It may take a little time for me to find my stride again, but I'll keep doing the reviews.

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement and support. It really means a lot to me and I appreciate it.

shanerozzell
24-09-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm glad you have made that choice. You have been around the hobby long enough to earn the right to tell people what you think. If someone can't stomach what you have said then I think the problem is theirs and you have probably hit upon something that they already know but didn't want to admit. By adopting the role as impartial reviewer you're gonna upset people sometimes and that's just tough **** on thier part; if the review had gone the otherway for them, no doubt they would be the first to brag about it so people have to take the rough with the smooth. If they are smart then they'll take onboard what you have said and fix the problem (I know I would and await with interest your Portal Review:eek:)

Keep at them mate as I believe they are an integral part of our community and the place wouldn't be the same without them:biggrin:

kdlynch
24-09-2010, 01:40 AM
i'm also glad you came to that decision. ^^ i may not have been watching your reviews all that long, but I still enjoy them greatly, and look forward to seeing more of them.

@shane: also saw what you did there... question is, what did she do there after reading that herself? hehehehe

Hinton
24-09-2010, 02:19 AM
await with interest your Portal Review:eek:)

Soon.

:wink:

Hinton
24-09-2010, 03:48 AM
Okay, videos are back up, including an edited version of the Forums review.

Ulfgrimr
24-09-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm glad you have made that choice. You have been around the hobby long enough to earn the right to tell people what you think. If someone can't stomach what you have said then I think the problem is theirs and you have probably hit upon something that they already know but didn't want to admit. By adopting the role as impartial reviewer you're gonna upset people sometimes and that's just tough **** on thier part; if the review had gone the otherway for them, no doubt they would be the first to brag about it so people have to take the rough with the smooth. If they are smart then they'll take onboard what you have said and fix the problem (I know I would and await with interest your Portal Review:eek:)

Keep at them mate as I believe they are an integral part of our community and the place wouldn't be the same without them:biggrin:

Hear hear.

Captain Sprout
24-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Well said Shane and I agree with Ulf..hear hear!

Glad to see you put the vids back up, reviewing is putting your head above the parapet, you might get shot at but at least you had the balls to tell people what you think.

Hope to see more reviews and I'd welcome your comments on anything I put up, good or bad. Honest views should be prized.

lizcam
25-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Well done Hinton! Never bow to idiot's demands. That way leads to ruin.

Lost Boy
26-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Yup :wink:.