PDA

View Full Version : RGM review: Brushes

Hinton
06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
A quick review of some different brushes for painting miniatures, as well as brief segment on care and cleaning of brushes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVnrbgxN_xU

shanerozzell
06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
mmmmm Butt fur! and I agree with Angry Geek, Bob Ross Rocks!!

brilliant review Hinton. Thanks:cool:

kdlynch
06-09-2010, 04:59 PM
"and here, we'll paint a happy little bush" Oh yeah? what if I want an sulking, angry, ready-to-kick-your-favourite-pet bush? Eh? What about that?!?

hehehe

and here's a size comparison between the 'short-handle' and 'long-handle' rosemary & co brushes:

http://www.rubidiumhexafluorosilicate.com/minis/racbrushsizes.jpg

yeah, that drop down can get you, so pay attention when ordering. lol

great review, Hinton, thank you. ^^

seasonman
06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
thanks very much good review , and helpful
:smile:

Boris
06-09-2010, 06:04 PM
nice review - would I be able to put this video on the SI website?

Hinton
06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
@Boris: sure, if you want to.

warhammergrimace
06-09-2010, 06:35 PM
excellent review, I've been using the Red Squirral brushes from Rosemary and have quite liked them. I have to agree about the windsor no 7's my last couple have performed badly as well.

MaGie
06-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Awesome review. I've been doubting to get some Rosemary brushes for some time, this has helped me make my decision, thanks :)
Have you every used the series 323 (spotter) also? The shape of these resemble some of the brushes I use now.

Hinton
06-09-2010, 07:01 PM
@MaGie: no I haven't, but I'll look into them. Thanks!

Boris
06-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks Hinton! I've included some links to the websites you mentioned, plus a UK site have used myself.
http://sheffieldirregulars.co.uk/2010/09/06/brushes-video/

I've been thinking about picking up some brush cleaner for a while.

Darklord
06-09-2010, 07:18 PM
excellent as ever Hinton - popped it in the review section buddy

Hinton
06-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks Hinton! I've included some links to the websites you mentioned, plus a UK site have used myself.
http://sheffieldirregulars.co.uk/2010/09/06/brushes-video/

I've been thinking about picking up some brush cleaner for a while.

Thanks for the kind words over at SI.

Boris
06-09-2010, 07:57 PM
No worries - I really like your videos :)

Captain Sprout
06-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Really funny! Laughed out loud at that. And a good review, I completely agree with the brush conclusion as well, R&C make great brushes these days.

I think the recommendation to have some rough brushes in your collection for terrain, mixing and other things is also good.

I would suggest people consider a larger brush than a 1 to add to their collection though..a 2-3 helps with smooth transitions on bigger areas.

Really cool.

Boris
06-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Agree with CS, I'm very fond of my number 2 brush

Coneman
07-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I am in the market for some new brushes and was leaning toward WN but after seeing this I will give the R&C ones a try instead.

Thanks

ScottRadom
07-09-2010, 04:05 AM
Nice stuff Hinton!

Have you ever tried Raphael 8404? Far and by my fav. I like my WNs7 and the Rosemary and Co. I have but I like the firmer bristle of the Raphael.

Hinton
07-09-2010, 05:57 AM
Have you ever tried Raphael 8404? Far and by my fav.

I haven't, but I've heard good things about them. May have to pick up a couple to see how they do.

breadhead.
07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Very nice review Hinton.

Like Radom I've recently got into using the Rafael 8404s. I really like the firmer bristles too.
I find the W&N a little soft although having said that when I first moved to them from cheap sable I was completely taken with them.
I find the Rosemary & Co brushes even softer than the W&N and I only really use them for eyes now. For some reason I prefer the series 22 over the 33 although the difference is minimal.
I've got one of the series 323 spotters too, much shorter bristles but a decent body to hold paint. I initially thought they would be very good for painting eyes etc but I never use it now!

Personally I never use anything smaller than a size 0, I find the paint dries too quickly on anything smaller. I also struggle to see where the actual point of the brush is which makes it very hard to paint detail :eek:

Boris
07-09-2010, 01:40 PM
I got a Raphael for my birthday and it's what I've been painting the ork with (size 1). I've found it comparable to the others. Most of my issue is the thickness of the handle which differs between brands.
My Rosemary's have definitely kept better than the WN7s.

I know Dysartes and Warhammergrimmace bought a selection of Rosemary brushes from various ranges. TBH when I got their brochure I found it hard not to just get some to try out.
Having seen their bamboo roll though - if you have a portable painting set-up I think this is a great buy for transporting your brushes.

Corvus
07-09-2010, 04:36 PM
I've been using Rosemary & Co for the last year, but decided to return to W&N afterwards. In my experience the R&C brushes tend to wear out a little bit faster (especially the tips), and the last batch I got had some poor tips among them.

W&N is my favorite, but if you don't want to pay the price, then Rosemary & Co will do fine for most painters.

I posted an article about this on my blog a while ago: http://corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/07/back-to-winsor-newton-series-7-brushes.html

Hinton
07-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah, saw your comment over at YT.

And there's nothing wrong with that. It's all just my opinion based on my own experience.

Captain Sprout
08-09-2010, 12:09 AM
I'd mention that if you drop Rosemary a note and mention one of the brushes won't hold a point she will probably do something about it..I had one arrive that didn't hold together well I think its plastic bit had trapped a hair in transit and it was speedily replaced.

I have both brushes and genuinely cannot tell the difference and if anything the R&C ones hold a really thin wash in a nicer way (I am no super painter of course) so for me the R&C brushes just make more sense. I've also found buying W&N on line is a tad hit and miss.

Its a horse for course thing but I think either good brush would make a difference to a painters armoury. I hope what people take from Hinton's review is that good brush choice and good brush care really do make a difference..more than the amount of money difference between a cheap and better brush actually indicates.

Corvus
08-09-2010, 08:40 AM
I've also found buying W&N on line is a tad hit and miss.

I bought a batch of W&N brushes at http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/ when they were running a 30% off discount a while ago.

breadhead.
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Its a horse for course thing but I think either good brush would make a difference to a painters armoury. I hope what people take from Hinton's review is that good brush choice and good brush care really do make a difference..more than the amount of money difference between a cheap and better brush actually indicates.

I think that's the most important point really. If you are using a cheap citadel brush or whatever, there will be a difference if you step up to Kolinsky. It isn't so important which one you go for to start with just try one :lol:

Iacton
08-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Really nice article Hinton, thanks.

FWIW, I used to use W&N7s and thought they were really good; then I shifted to Rosemary's about 18 months ago and not looked back. The slightly extra length of bristle suits me more and the spring of the series 33s is just what I like...... And then I bought some series 22s.....

They cost a little more, but there appears to be a few more bristles tied in and the quality of the point is that much finer. I have a 1 and 0 and wouldn't need to go thinner.

For the series 33s I have a 10/0, 2/0,0,1,2,3 and 5. There was a thread on PB a while back that asked the question of "At what point did your painting get faster?", and my answer was "the day I started using larger brushes"!

Might sound like I'm railing against the norm and/or stating the bleeding obvious, but I generally base coat every 28/32mm model using the 5 and 3 and do a lot of the early blending using the 3 in particular. I rarely use the smallest brushes now for anything other than the finest black lining, scratches, eye lining and painting between things like hair strands or cable ribs...

Oh, and I use my W&N7s for drybrushing nowadays! lol...

Darklord
08-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I know a few people do like Raphael, personally though I prefer this one:

http://www.aolcdn.com/moviefeatures/tmnt-wallpaper-michelangelo-425

Hinton
08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
I was always more partial to:

http://www.wamp-forum.com/photopost/data/539/Donatello.jpg

NeatPete
08-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah anyone who's cool knows that Donatello is the coolest Ninja turtle around!

Great review Hinton. I need to pick up a few new brushed myself, so good timing and thanks.

Do I dare ask what the harvesting of sable hair industry is like and the impact using this material has on species/local ecosystem?

Captain Sprout
08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Possibly not, its a bi product of the farmed fur industry.

MaGie
08-09-2010, 10:05 PM
NeatPete, being a biologist I was thinking the same thing. But apparently, the Siberian Weasel has IUCN conservation status of 'least concern'. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. On a ethic point of view, I'm not so sure about this, if it is indeed a bi-product of the farmed fur industry you might wonder... Honestly, for me that won't stop me getting brushes like this.