PDA

View Full Version : Studio McVey "Ar-Fienel"

NeatPete
13-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Ar-Fienel
by studio McVey

I was showing my g/f minis one night and she loved this mini as much as i did so I bought it. Now, normaly I try not to go around buying $20 minis on the regs but I couldn't help this one. I ordered directly from them and the total came to something like $23 and change with shipping in the US.

Any hesitation, regret, or qualms about spending twenty some bucks on this thing flew out my memory when I opened this box. Wow, so delicate, so pretty and perfect. Cast in resin, but not a single bubble or mold line to find upon inpection. The arm holding the bow has incredibly tiny ridges that are sharp and spot on. Her hair is fantastic with interweaven vines and leaves:

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af210/Peterock17/DSC01339.jpg?t=1273728372

The base is also very nice and compliments the delicate, dreamy overall sculpt very well. I can honestly say: "This is the prettiest miniature I've ever bought!" It's so nice, it one of those minis I'll be too scared to paint. :)
Quality:10

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af210/Peterock17/DSC01330.jpg?t=1273728193

The package is 5 pieces: Base, Body, Bird, Arm holding + bow, Quiver. I dry fit the pieces andthey seem to fit perfectly in spots that wouldn't require much if any GS or gap fillers. I would say it would be next to impossible to pin (other than to the base) but for a show piece like this what can you really do?
Assembly: 9

So is this mini worth the twenty bucks? to me absolutely! Considering the lack of prep time, the matchingly beautiful base, limited of 750 casts, and the "perfect detail" of the it all, I rate the value quite high for what you get.
Value: 9

I recieved the mini in a box with a limited edition certificate #303 of 750. So if you are interested in this model, I reccomend you buy it NOW! I may order a second in case I mess one up, or to save for later. I would say its a "petite 32mm scale" if that makes sense. You can see it here next to a 32mm Wyrd mini and a 28mm Redbox games mini.

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af210/Peterock17/DSC01335.jpg?t=1273728256

Highly reccomend!

Overall, I rank this kit a whopping: 9.5

Ulfgrimr
13-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks Pete, that's really useful as I've been toying with getting this since it came out. Don't know if I could ever do it justice but it is a beautiful mini.

Iacton
13-05-2010, 11:13 AM
She is a really beautiful model. Between the McVeys and our Mr Poots, we are seeing some of the most spectacular bits of resin right now.

I bought 3 different sculpts at Salute recently, including this one, and I'm looking forward to "treating myself" with these after I finish my GD entries in September.

War Griffon
13-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I can only echo what Pete has said, I picked up mine at Salute along with some others and some of Mr Poots' stuff and can't wait to get the chance to paint them as soon as I get my painting fu back up to standard :smile:

Ulfgrimr
13-05-2010, 11:49 AM
You've talked me into guys :biggrin:. Now to spend the next few years gaining the expertise and the courage to paint her :eek:.

tre
13-05-2010, 02:53 PM
FInally a review that is actually a review and not just a discription!

Darklord
13-05-2010, 03:22 PM
FInally a review that is actually a review and not just a discription!

wait for the official ones!!

Simon.W
14-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Yes she is an awesome miniature i got her and Isabella last week and can not wait for the next one which is a double figure by the same sculptor as this one, i even have my pennies saved for it already. :biggrin:

Joek
14-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Yup, I can only agree with everything that's been said. It's a spectacular figure. Have to say it's not for nothing that the McVey figures are the ones I'm aspiring to when I'm releasing stuff. I'm definitely not there quite yet, but it's a wonderful thing to aim for! I just can't wait for the next two releases - definite purchases those ones too!

tre
14-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Teh next Two??? I have only seen the Dark Elf chick. IS there another??

NeatPete
14-05-2010, 04:58 PM
yeah no kidding! Who's got a link of these previews!!

Captain Sprout
14-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Nice review Pete, great pictures too, really showing all the features of the model. Oddly enough made me want one more than the painted one (which is superb as a piece of mini art..awe).

There were some pictures of the new sculpt on oz painters here

http://www.mainlymedieval.com/ozpainters/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2419&start=120

Joek
15-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Teh next Two??? I have only seen the Dark Elf chick. IS there another??

Tre, it her, plus a monster thing called 'The Darkness'. They're individual characters but designed to pair up together. And really lovely they are too :)