PDA

View Full Version : King Zombie's First Responders

supervike
01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Just wanted to give a small review on King Zombie's "First Responder Zombies".

They have been available for some time, in Resin. It was one of those things I always meant to get around to order, but just hadn't. Then,as I finally decided to order, I found out that King Zombie had issues with the molds, and that they were no longer available.

But, now they are back, and even better, are now being produced in metal!

I ordered the set of 15 zombies. After a quick turnaround, I had them in the flesh, and was very impressed from the start.

Size wise, they are on par with Griffin's Set of Zombies. They are also similar in sculpt style to that. They have slightly oversized heads and features which result in a solid chunky metal piece.

The 15 different zombie sculpts are all centered around the idea that these were the First Responders to a zombie outbreak. So, they are all firemen, police, national guard, paramedics and even a k-9 unit! Each is well done, and it is clearly representative of whatever unit they are from. All are hideously zombified, some munching on legs, some in the midst of a shotgun blast.

There is just a minimal amount of cleanup. Mold lines and flash are there, but very sparingly.

The one issue I'm undecided on, however, is the integrated bases. They all have the bases, and I can't see, beyond some serious conversion work, a way to remove them from it. The bases are sculpted to look like things such grass, or muddied tireprints, or dirt and rock. While it certainly isn't a deal breaker, I can see where the traditional slotted base tabs would have been a nice touch.

Price wise they weren't out of line at all, with the package deal, each figure worked out to about $3.50 USD each.

King Zombie has indicated that if these do well, he has plenty more ideas in store, and I certainly hope that's true. You can never have enough zombies!

All told, I'm very happy with these, and I highly recommend them to other zombie-o-philes.

http://kingzombie.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11

NeatPete
01-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the review SV! You know I love zombies!!!

Darklord
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
have 10+ rep - thanks Jim

RogerB
01-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Ooh, nice. At hammerhead '09 I played a game of All Things Zombie and due to me getting the lowest score I won a free rulebook. It's on my list of things to do, get some minis for the game and these are designed for it. Nice.

NeatPete
01-04-2010, 07:44 PM
How are they size wise with say Studio Miniature Zombies?