PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Sponsored contest schedule

Darklord
25-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Firstly my apologies for not getting this sorted sooner for you. Other things have eaten up my time. This is a provisional list so is subject to change of course but hopefully it wont. I will of course let you know if it does.
Once I get more time I will update the list with the actual prizes and I am trying to arrrange more special discounts for wamp members from the companies though bear in mind its not a big profit business and some simply couldnt afford to so I cant promise!!
Anyway this is the schedule:

April - Warlord
May - Kabuki
June - Avatars of War
July - Ironwind Metals
August - Redbox games
September - Pulp City
October - Kingdom death

December - Wamped! -a multi-sponsor event featuring:
Eolith, Gamezone, Gaspez Arts, Guild of Harmony, minipainters,
Urban Mammoth, Wargames Miniatures (see below)Westwind productions, El Greco and Feldherr

wargames miniatures sell a variety of ranges including:
Hasslfree
Anima Tactics
Freebooter
Warlord
Kings Of War
Micro Art Studio
Games Workshop
Okko
Wargames Factory
AT-43
Tales of War
Dark Heresy
Descent
Wyrd
Asmodee
and more, all of which are eligible in this contest!

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to ask. We may look at getting the odd guest judge in - if of course you are happy for that to happen.
We have got some great sponsors lined up this year - great to have several run by members of wamp itself (kabuki,kingdom death,scibor, redbox and minipainters)
I have tried to get a variety of different companies to give everyone a chance . These are a great way to push yourself and win some great prizes too. You are quite welcome to begin now. and remember anything submitted to little angels will also if eligible be allowed to enter these contests retrospectively

If you know of someone or are someone that would like to sponsor an event then feel free to contact me

NeatPete
26-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Looks great bud! Can't wait to kick some WAMP ass in 2010
I think asking for a discount and prizes is too much and totaly understand that!

Jabberwocky
26-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Sweet! Thanks for getting this WaMP'd (*groan*) up for the coming year. Where's Elmer Fudd when you need him? Let's see...RBG, got it! Scibor, got it! I'll definitely have to defend my IWM crown as well. The Kabuki and KD (and AoW... :)) stuff have been piquing my interest as of late as well. Where to begin??

ScottRadom
26-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Good stuff. I have most of those lined up. I just need to look at something from warlord and kings fo war.

Scherdy
26-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Is Warlord the Reaper line or the warlordgames.co.uk? Lord Google left me wondering...

Either way, I'm going to have to expand my mini browsing horizons! Thanks DL!

Darklord
26-01-2010, 07:57 AM
warlordgames.co.uk. Undave is one of their studio painters

Nameless
31-01-2010, 07:22 PM
April - Warlord NO
May - Kabuki NO
June - Avatars of War YES (hope to finish my last year entry, not win;) )
July - Ironwind Metals NO
August - Redbox games MAYBE
September - Pulp City NO
October - Kingdom death NO (perhaps if minis are not limited releases, hence much cheaper)
November - Scibor YES
December - Wamped! -a multi-sponsor event featuring:
Eolith, Gamezone, Gaspez Arts, Guild of Harmony, minipainters,
Urban Mammoth, Wargames Miniatures (see below) and Westwind productions. YES

the problem is that last contest covers few companies I'd like to paint... which to choose?eolith, guild of harmony, urban mammoth, hasslefree, freebooter, gw, tales of war, wyrd?

Coneman
31-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Cool, nothing until April means I can be really slack for another month or so.
I like the multi event in December as I have a bunch of that stuff in one the WIP shelf that I will be inspired to finish.

Boris
31-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Will try and fit in my warlord entry around my Salute stuff - but not sure if I can manage it :(
December is looking good for me though :D

AngelicOne
31-01-2010, 11:56 PM
This list is outstanding!

Darklord
01-02-2010, 11:12 AM
@Nameless, there will always be contests that dont suit everyone - the aim is that there is something for everyone at some point!

Nameless
01-02-2010, 12:00 PM
ofcourse. however, if you made "multi-sponsor" contests every month you'd get more entries.

let's say I'm into fantasy, you're into sf. now:
August - Redbox games
September - Pulp City
I will enter in august only, you - in september only. combine these for august, you'll have entries from both of us. do something like that every month.

not *****ing or complaining. just a thought from me.

Darklord
01-02-2010, 12:36 PM
some compaines require sole sponsorship .

Nameless
01-02-2010, 12:45 PM
fair enough.
just expressed my thoughts for you to consider.

Darklord
01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
its much appreciated .
it is a co-op place here im always open to ideas,comments etc

NeatPete
04-02-2010, 10:26 PM
April - Warlord - Got some of those free elves but :( prob wont get in on this.
May - Kabuki - Nothing yet, but may be able to get one through CMON
June - Avatars of War - I can't wait for this one!
July - Ironwind Metals - Yup
August - Redbox games - Oh F yeah!
September - Pulp City - No, but may get one, I do like some of them
October - Kingdom death - Manhunter FTW. Will be tough following Scott but I'm looking forward to this
November - Scibor - Another one I'm stoked for.
December - Wamped! - Where do I start?

In Chigh
05-02-2010, 02:41 AM
wake me up in december :p

Darklord
05-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Pete - dont confuse warlord with mantic!!
kabuki is scotts (Iactons) baby - theres even a discount for wamp members - just shoot him your order

Vern
05-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Although, Warlord are selling Mantic in their webstore(?)

Undave
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
They are selling Mantic as well as Perry's and Victrix but I think it will be a case of restricting it to Warlord/Bolt Action minis as it's supposed to be a sponsor driven thing after all.

What's in it for a sponsor if they shell out for prizes and people just enter with stuff they bought from elsewhere?

Besides it would be better to save Mantic for their own competition. They donated to LA so I would imagine they'd be up for sponsoring their own at some point.

Vern
06-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Ah yes, forgot Mantic are having thier own comp - do Warlord own Bolt Action out right now?

ScottRadom
06-02-2010, 03:49 PM
April - Warlord - Dunno, I'd have to order something. Might be a miss
May - Kabuki - Mater Lacrimosa. Very excited to paint this *****!
June - Avatars of War - Might do another Goblin King, see how he compars to the other two I've done!
July - Ironwind Metals - Dunno, have to look
August - Redbox games - For sure!
September - Pulp City - You best believe
October - Kingdom death - Manhunter FTW! I plan on doing another one by then.
November - Scibor - I've got a big ogryn saved up for that one
December - Wamped! - I'm curious to see how this plays out!

Undave
06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Ah yes, forgot Mantic are having thier own comp - do Warlord own Bolt Action out right now?

Yeah they own BAM now so I assume they'll be including them in the competition. Apparently the details are due to be hammered out on Monday morning so I ought to be able to fill everyone in on what's going on and more importantly what prizes are going to be up for grabs.

If anyone is having doubts about entering because you don't have any minis let me know and I'll see if I can sort you out some. Warlord don't just make great big plastic sets, they also do some cracking character pieces. I'll do a thread with a few examples of single minis people might like to get hold of when I know the details.

Vern
06-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Well, touch wood, I be should be entering everything :D

Hope to a full pike & shotte regt for the Warlord one (have just ordered some bonnets from thier bits range - nice!)

Darklord
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
bought me some warlord druids on saturday - so thats my warlord cherry popped - seem decent enough minis - a lot of flash on one though buthes not the one I was going to use!!

Undave
08-02-2010, 11:17 AM
I bet you're doing the naked one aren't you...

Iacton
08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Great work as always, Brettski ;)

Here's my "pledge"...

April - Warlord - unlikely I'm afraid - Salute has priority
May - Kabuki - Prolly shouldn't enter my own! :smirk: I am sure that I can line up a nice celeb judge for the compo though (not me)
June - Avatars of War - hmm....
July - Ironwind Metals - Dunno
August - Redbox games - I'd like to pick something up on these
September - Pulp City - ditto
October - Kingdom death - Hell yes!! This will officially be my post GD treat to myself. I might paint 2 and choose my fave, although I'm pretty sure which it will be....
November - Scibor - Maybe
December - Wamped! - for sure. Enough scope and I have models that I can use already...

Looks like I have the year mapped out, when I'm not doing GD entries....!!

Darklord
08-02-2010, 11:41 AM
I bet you're doing the naked one aren't you...

yep! for the ladies!

scott - guest judge would be good - like to sprinkle the odd on here and there

Undave
08-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Hmmmm I might actually enter my Warlord mini at Salute this year... It'll be the first time I've entered a big boy's competition. I'm scared :faint

Iacton
08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
scott - guest judge would be good - like to sprinkle the odd on here and there

I'll see if I can't line up a spot of Spanish love....

Darklord
08-02-2010, 12:03 PM
go for it mate - whats the worst that can happen? apart from your just handing your entry over - you sneeze it flies out your hand - hits someone in the eye they fall backwards their arm hitting the fire alarm, it goes off theres a stampede, the police think its a riot, tear gas is thrown several arrests and you get 5 years for inciting violence.

Iacton
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah that, or you hand it to the really doddery old boy who places it on a tray, turns and promptly drops it and a whole platoon of 15mm stuff all over the floor....
Saw that for real last year! The owner of the minis very nearly fainted!

ScottRadom
08-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I love guest judges!

Darklord
08-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I love guest judges!

good.

btw if anyone has suggestions for guest judges I welcome them

Scherdy
11-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Neil Patrick Harris or William Shatner.

Also, is cmon's store (with the variability of ordering results) probably the best one stop shop for N. America to pick up some of these ranges and combine shipping?

Darklord
15-02-2010, 11:00 AM
some people use cmon - i think the warstore gets mentioned a lot

ScottRadom
15-02-2010, 11:43 AM
For the aggravation they've cause me, I still vote CMON store. Just make sure youy take NO **** form them, and don't be afraid to raise **** on the forums if they mess with you.

ScottRadom
03-03-2010, 05:12 AM
The deadline for the comps, is it going to be at the end of said month? Like, do we have until April 30th for Warlord?

I'm going to make a list and make sure I prep mini's for all the comps well ahead of time. First up, my Kabuki Later Macrimosa! Or the Brit Paratrooper if it arrives by the end of the week. Feeling pretty jazzed up for this year of painting!

Darklord
03-03-2010, 09:59 AM
yeah last day of each month

Darklord
13-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Just to let you know the Kabuki contest will be using a guest judge - Banshee

pae
17-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I should be in for several of these, assuming I don't get sick of painting again. Knowing my track record, I'll be semi-retired by the middle of the year. :-/

Darklord
17-03-2010, 09:55 PM
well hopefully well tempt you into something!

nathanr
17-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I'll be in for a few of these, the Scibor one might be just the excuse I'm looking for to pick up that bear-riding dwarf.

exilesjjb
17-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I have this guy which I will be doing for the scibor comp wish me luck
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/exilesjjb/giant_hunter05.jpg

54mm " yer baby"

Darklord
17-03-2010, 10:59 PM
thats a rip off off that amazing giants head by god cant remember now was it alan c?

exilesjjb
17-03-2010, 11:01 PM
yes seen the original but this is cool also

Darklord
17-03-2010, 11:02 PM
yeah it is funky - the chickens very abstract!!

NeatPete
18-03-2010, 02:19 AM
yea, whats up with that chicken? lol... Reminds me of this dwarves deep book for d&D forgoteen realms book i used to have.

ScottRadom
18-03-2010, 05:49 AM
I plan on entering all of them. In fact, if I don't pick up a brush ever again I think I have done the Scibor, Pulp City, Red Box, and AoW. Might even be missing one!

But I have mini's for all of them. Thanks to Exiles for the Warlord mini that is! I'm looking forward to all of them. I have the Warlord paratrooper primed and based. I just have to dig out my Flames of War rulebook with the colour painting guide and away I go.

Very much looking forward to this year at WAMP. I am purposely not committed to anything except painting fun stuff so I am hoping to have a great time with these contests, the ladder, and the odd eBay fig. Good plans for 2010!

exilesjjb
18-03-2010, 05:57 AM
I have a load of stuff I am doing for ebay and I am using them to practice on doing Imp Guard ATM doing freehand and edge highlights will post pictures when done. I also have most of the stuff needed to enter this years cheers Scott.

Darklord
18-03-2010, 10:09 AM
yeah some good comps this year

breadhead.
18-03-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm definitely up for a few of these :)

cleen X
23-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Maybe I missed something already answered in the thread but I will ask anyway :biggrin: Can you enter multiple times in a contest? And if so, how many times? Thinking about the december one (Wamped), as there are many miniature companies to choose from and I really want to enter something from a couple of different companies!

Darklord
23-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Maybe I missed something already answered in the thread but I will ask anyway :biggrin: Can you enter multiple times in a contest? And if so, how many times? Thinking about the december one (Wamped), as there are many miniature companies to choose from and I really want to enter something from a couple of different companies!
You can enter as many times as you like - you want to enter 100 minis you can. However! you can only win one prize per category. SO most contests just have one category, the Wamped will have several in which you can win one prize for each .

Does that make sense?

cleen X
24-06-2010, 12:41 AM
You can enter as many times as you like - you want to enter 100 minis you can. However! you can only win one prize per category. SO most contests just have one category, the Wamped will have several in which you can win one prize for each .

Does that make sense?

Makes a lot of sense and makes me happy as well :-D

Darklord
24-06-2010, 09:07 AM
one small note of caution. All the contest have been agreed and are generally run in that order but they are not 'official' until the actual contest is announced with deadline, prize details etc. We have never had a contest cancelled but just wanted to let you know. I prefer to still announce them asap to give folks as much time as possible to plan ahead

Darklord
17-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Just to let you know that the Wamped contest for the end of the year will also now feature 2 new sponsors - El greco and also Feldherr. El Greco stock a massive range of fantastic minis and feldherr make gaming cases.

War Griffon
17-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Sounds like that one is going to be a massive participation affair DL.

Darklord
17-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Sounds like that one is going to be a massive participation affair DL.

yeah I hope so!! similar format to Little Angels with category prizes then Best in Show prize, but you dont have to sell your minis for this one!!

War Griffon
17-08-2010, 11:45 AM
yeah I hope so!! similar format to Little Angels with category prizes then Best in Show prize, but you dont have to sell your minis for this one!!

Selling them for a good cause isn't so bad, I don't mind that so much.

Had my Vostryans returned on the weekend, the actions never went ahead because of various reasons etc and a few people asked for theirs to be returned so Mike is in the process of returning everybodies but is having dificulty tracking down some people.

Nice to have them back but shame the auction didn't happen.

Darklord
17-08-2010, 12:39 PM
is that from the attempt for charity a couple of years ago and he got slated over it or something?

War Griffon
17-08-2010, 12:42 PM
It was back in 2006, hard to believe it was that long ago.

He found out the one cancer charity the figures were going to be auctioned for wouldn't take the money because of the nature of the hobby or something rediculas like that so then had to try and find one that would before the auction went ahead but real life got in the way and eventually it was decided to can it all.

All the figures got Finalist in the Open Category at GD that year but I guess if it went ahead now it wouldn't have raised anywhere near the same amount as the Vostryans are no longer a popular guard army.

Darklord
17-08-2010, 12:49 PM
thats a bummer - i remember mutterings a bout it when I announced the LA one

War Griffon
17-08-2010, 12:58 PM
You would think that these charities would be glad of any donations but these days even the clothing bags pushed through the doors stipulate what they want from you...

Vern
25-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Is the Scibor comp still on? (apologies if there is a thread I've missed)

War Griffon
25-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I think it is but I am also thinking it may be canned as DL might be having trouble getting a hold of him.

shanerozzell
25-09-2010, 02:18 PM
As far as I know DL tried all last week to reach him but with no joy.

kdlynch
25-09-2010, 03:07 PM
so that's been 5+ weeks of attempted contacting by DL. the store's still active, as I did buy a mini from them (i'll use for something else if contest falls through) and it's arrived since. too bad no contact from owner though. language barrier problems perhaps?

War Griffon
25-09-2010, 03:09 PM
language barrier problems perhaps?

Not as far as I am aware as I have had e-mails from himin the past with no problems but it seems lots of people are complaining about not getting e-mail replies etc

Vern
25-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Ta - I'll pm Brett next week