PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian - work in progress

Ritual
26-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Ok, now that I've started painting Sebastian I thought I'd start this thread where you can post your own work in progress. I will try to comment and answer questions as swiftly and thoroughly as possible.

Ok, let's get started! :D

NeatPete
27-11-2009, 08:27 AM
I got going on mine last night. I just kinda winged a blue grey that I had as the base and followed instructions. pics suck and are hard to capture the sublte change but I like where this is going.

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af210/Peterock17/SebastianWIP1.jpg

Ritual
27-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Looks good, Pete. I think you can work a bit more shadow into it, if you're up to it. By carefully glazing, it is quite easy to continue where you ended and take things further.

It's cool to start seeing some work from you guys! Keep 'em coming! :)

Simon.W
01-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Ok well here is my progress so far everyone :

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt287/Silmarilias/Stage_1_montage.jpg

Not too bad so far i think although the shadows are a little dark but that may be due to the base colour i used which was codex grey as this was nearest i had to field blue without going to a lighter colour which would have been fortress grey, i only have about two dozen VMC paints in my collection at the moment and FB is not one of them yet .

I have applied 2 or 3 glazes of the base colour so far to smooth things a bit but will not apply anymore until we get to that stage and will most probably push the highlights a bit more also once the glazing\wash stage has been done along with a few small things i have noticed that need to be fixed\touched up .

Scherdy
01-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Here's where I got. See some fixing to do on the shoulders and arms I think.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2577/4148903087_9786a93029_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2508/4148903065_978a042347_o.jpg
Really enjoying this. Thanks Ritual.

Ritual
01-12-2009, 10:40 AM
@Simon.W
Good start! I don't think your shadows are too dark at all. In fact, I'd probably go a bit darker still in the a few places. But mostly, I think the level of dark is good. What I do think is lacking a bit, and that may cause you to think the shadows are too dark, is the midtones. At least from the pictures, there doesn't seem to be much inbetween the shadows and the highlights. This can be fixed by glazing midtones over what you've painted so far. And, I'm going to do a bit of glazing later on, on my piece, so maybe, as you say, it's better to wait. Also, and this is also better to do in combination with the glazing, I'd go brighter with the highlights in a few select spots to create a better dynamic in the lighting. As it is now, the highlighting is pretty uniform over the whole mini, or at least it seems so from the photos. I will provide you with a picture where I've marked where I think you should take the highlights further, but I'll get back to you with that a bit later. Good work, though! Very smooth painting.

@Scherdy
Another good start! I like the moody look of this one. The deep shadows really give it a dark atmosphere. I think you could possibly try to make a few things a bit sharper. There are some folds on the sculpt that are pretty sharp, and on such you can make pretty sharp transitions between light and dark. That will emphasise the shapes on the mini and make the mini look a bit more striking. Also, there are some folds that could do with being more highlihgted. On just above the knot of the apron, a few near the feet etc. Look closesly on the mini and study the shapes of the folds to determine where you could do things a bit sharper. Good work, still. I'm glad you enjoy this!

Darklord
01-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Heres a quick wip shot from mine (please bear inmind the duff camera I posess!) but the colours are pretty accurate. Actually found this quite tricky as the technique is different to my usual (I normally layer up from base to highlight then add some glazes for shading/colour, or I work from basecoat as my highlight down through glazes.
Still good fun and it all helps the improvement - I guess the later glazes will help smooth the transitions too.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z93/darklordminiatures/seb.jpg

Ritual
02-12-2009, 12:00 AM
The colour looks spot on, Brett. The pictures are a bit crappy, but from what I can tell you can up the contrast a bit. A little more shadow and a little more highlight. Slap on some glazes of the base coat inbetween, if you think transitions look rough.

ScottRadom
02-12-2009, 01:00 AM
I'll try to sort out some pics tonight. Trying to paint this way with the glazes for shadow and highlights really show how far I have to go in painting skills.

Ritual-Is it purely brush load that keeps the paint from getting that chalky effect? Meaning so long as I am hitting it with very, very little paint the result should not be chalky, correct? I am finding some areas are getting to look a little chalky but suspect it's because I had too much onthe brush at a time.

Ritual
02-12-2009, 01:31 AM
I think it's a combination of brush load, paint consistency and brush technique. When you get things just right the paint doesn't get chalky. I used to have problems with chalkiness years ago, but all of a sudden I hadn't anymore. Can't say exactly what I did to make it go away. Just something that came by itself as I got better.l

Darklord
02-12-2009, 01:28 PM
cheers Anders - looking at it in daylight its got a lisghtly bluer tone than here (though not much)and the contrast is more noticable. Really Im happy with it in real life so thats what counts!!
Btw If anyone is interested I used GW paints - 50:50 codex grey and shadow grey then added chaos black or bleached bone to the mix for shading/highlighting

Ritual
02-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Really Im happy with it in real life so thats what counts!!
Sure is!

Btw If anyone is interested I used GW paints - 50:50 codex grey and shadow grey then added chaos black or bleached bone to the mix for shading/highlighting
Yeah, that would make sense. Field blue has a bit of green in it as well, but not that much.

Darklord
02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
cant have it exactly the same though can we - dont want people getting mine and yours confused!!

Ritual
03-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Good thinking, Brett!

Cregan Tur
10-12-2009, 04:45 AM
Here's my Sebastian- I think the pics even turned out good- buying those Daylight bulbs really helps!

{Click image for full size}
[fullalbumimg:5f14553f40]631[/fullalbumimg:5f14553f40]