PDA

View Full Version : Darklord v Skraal v Vegascat - 'Little Joseph'

Darklord
03-11-2014, 04:36 PM
we're having a threesome!!

We are all painting the latest Wamp release Little Joseph.

Deadline end of December.

SHould be great seeing what we all do with the same mini

vegascat
13-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Man, I just noticed this thread, thanks for setting it up! I just got my model in the mail on Monday, but the missus didn't tell me about it until Tuesday evening (although she made sure to remind me to fully repaint one of the bathrooms... :smoked:). I've only taken a brief look at the model. Its got lots of interesting detail. I managed to break off and lose a piece of hanging "cloth" around his upraised arm. The mold lines in general aren't too bad except there's a doozy of a mold line on the left side of the model's body. I'm hoping to prep the model this weekend.

I've been toying with the idea of a non-Caucasian skin tone. Otherwise nothing is coming to mind.

Darklord
13-11-2014, 06:33 PM
I think a different skin colour would be cool

skraaal
13-11-2014, 09:58 PM
I just ordered mine! :)

skraaal
21-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Mine has arrived and is in the process of being built / prepared. I think I'm going to be going for an undead-esque type of skin tone, not sure if I'll be including the little man or not yet.

Will more than likely have him primed and ready to go this evening after I get home from work. I'll posting WIP shot on my blog (www.miniature-studio.com (http://www.miniature-studio.com)) if anyone wants to follow along, and if there's enough interest I'll even do step by steps for skin tones etc

:)

Darklord
21-11-2014, 10:28 AM
cool.

Must admit I havent touched mine since I got some prepping done, need to pull my finger out

vegascat
21-11-2014, 05:41 PM
I haven't touched mine either. I was so busy last weekend, I didn't get to do any painting and I really need to do the touch ups on my Hasslefree entry and take pics and submit it. :angry_002:I've been thinking of painting mine with Maori Warrior style tattoos. I'd also like to swap out the stone club head for a fishing spear kind of head. This all assumes I have the time to do so.

Darklord
21-11-2014, 09:31 PM
well I am happy for a flexible deadline if Skraal is. I am more interested in cool paintjobs on a wamp mini!

skraaal
21-11-2014, 09:59 PM
To be fair I think end of December is a decent deadline, its a month and a half away :)

ScottRadom
21-11-2014, 10:36 PM
I just wanna see how you guys approach the eyes! Got mine and not used to seeing eyes sculpted that way. Looking forward to it!

NeatPete
21-11-2014, 11:28 PM
Yeah me either Scott. I was thinking you could do a cool Iris and pupil then add a drop of resin in there and make a cool 3d looking eye.

PS: I saw an article that some lady from your town owes the US like a million dollars coz she had a baby on vacation in Hawaii. Pay up Canadians! This merican health care aint free! 'Merica!! /fail

skraaal
22-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Started mine! http://www.miniature-studio.com/2014/11/wamp-three-way.html :D

ScottRadom
22-11-2014, 01:49 AM
Yeah me either Scott. I was thinking you could do a cool Iris and pupil then add a drop of resin in there and make a cool 3d looking eye.

PS: I saw an article that some lady from your town owes the US like a million dollars coz she had a baby on vacation in Hawaii. Pay up Canadians! This merican health care aint free! 'Merica!! /fail

Not quite my home town but yeah. She had travel insurance but they say her bladder infection was a pre existing condition and no insurance.

vegascat
22-11-2014, 07:03 AM
Started mine! http://www.miniature-studio.com/2014/11/wamp-three-way.html :D

He looks pretty interesting so far! I like the colors you've chosen.

Darklord
22-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Skraals playing hardball!

vegascat
23-11-2014, 04:29 AM
I know! The dude's got a blog and everything! :ass:

Darklord
23-11-2014, 12:06 PM
I know! The dude's got a blog and everything! :ass:

pffffft I have a whole freakin forum!

Looking great so far Skraal, loving the different feel to yours.

On the eyes I have seen them done like that before. It gives the chance to create follow you around the room eyes or just have a real sunken feel to them. I am toying with the idea of popping some eyeballs in though for when its remoulded

skraaal
23-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Update time...http://www.miniature-studio.com/2014/11/josephs-new-technicolor-skin.html

I've changed my mind about undead skin tones it seems! :)

Darklord
24-11-2014, 10:06 AM
looking great mate

vegascat
25-11-2014, 05:46 PM
I agree, he's looking great. What made you want to change from the undead skin tone? Your blog really doesn't explain.

No movement yet on mine. :( I've had to start working on a Christmas model for a holiday exchange next Wednesday.(!) So, I'll most likely start on Little Joseph in earnest once this model is finished.

skraaal
26-11-2014, 11:40 AM
I agree, he's looking great. What made you want to change from the undead skin tone? Your blog really doesn't explain.

No movement yet on mine. :( I've had to start working on a Christmas model for a holiday exchange next Wednesday.(!) So, I'll most likely start on Little Joseph in earnest once this model is finished.

I just felt like I had approached it wrong if I were to go for undead skin, the way I had painted the underlying shadows and the colours used were more apt for normal skin, well that's what I thought at least ;)

skraaal
03-12-2014, 11:36 PM
One month to go chaps! How are yours coming on?

vegascat
04-12-2014, 02:44 PM
No changes here as I've been spending what little free time I've had lately painting a model for a painted model exchange at my FLGS. How about you two?

skraaal
06-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Mines coming along, no enough of an update to post yet though.

vegascat
06-12-2014, 03:47 PM
I cleaned and primed the model yesterday. As much as I want to change the club head to some type of a fishing spear, I don't think I'll have the time. :( But at least its a start!

Darklord
08-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I am going to have to bow out of this unfortunately. Still ill so behind on everything and I have a comission coming in thats a tight deadline plus Wamp Awards, Wamped V, Kickstarter and a new range launch to come so lacking time.

Feel a bit of a bum letting you down but needs must.

vegascat
08-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Its okay, needs must. Take care of yourself and come challenge us when you have some freetime. :)

If you're still up for it skraaal, I'll stay in the challenge, though I won't give you anywhere near the challenge that DL would. If not, no hard feelings, just let me know.

Darklord
10-12-2014, 12:11 PM
thanks mate and yes a challenge I shall certainly throw at you when I can

vegascat
16-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Just a quick update from some painting from this past weekend. I'm not real pleased with the skin. It was going okay until I jacked up the highlights and then tried to fix it with a wash, which changed the skin tone entirely. :( Even so, I pushed ahead with some highlighting and shading, but I think its too subtle for the camera to pick up (even if I'd taken some proper pics). What do you guys think?

http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/attachment.php?attachmentid=39627&stc=1
http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/attachment.php?attachmentid=39628&stc=1

Darklord
17-12-2014, 10:14 AM
it does look flat but not the most accurate photo I guess. Whats the end tone your looking for? Certainly I would begin working up the shadows to give yourself more definition. You can then see if you need to push the highlights from there.

Certainly no need to panic

vegascat
17-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Certainly no need to panic

:D You know me so well. I look at this model every night before I go to bed. I think I'm going to repaint/airbrush the skin entirely to get that pacific islander skin tone base back and then try to brushpaint the shading and highlighting to see if I can keep from making a mess of things again. I need to keep in mind what you and others have reminded me of over and over again to push my shading and highlighting. I was really happy with the last two models I did, but the scale was different and so I was able to get better results quicker or at least see my mistakes quicker and try to fix them rather than get to the point where I'm frustrated.

skraaal
29-12-2014, 04:34 PM
2 days to go! :)

vegascat
30-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Either of you have any advice on doing water effects on an uneven edge? I put tape around the edge of the model's base and poured the water effect in and all seemed fine. I checked on it a few hours later and it'd all drained out through an uneven spot that the tape didn't cover (and I didn't see earlier).

Sorry but I don't think I'll be finished in two days as I have to work tomorrow, which means I wont get to work on the model until tomorrow evening. Can we push the finish to Sunday?

Darklord
30-12-2014, 11:39 AM
I had this issue with my corrupted elf. I took clear blister material and cut to size, put that around the edge and taped it over the outside and too each other. I then applied a couple of runs of pva to any join areas. that held it for me

vegascat
30-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks DL, I'll give that a try. I was really looking forward to having that first layer of water effect dry today after I got home so that I could add the second layer this evening. :(

skraaal
30-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Yeah i hear PVA to seal the edges works - push the deadline to Sunday? Sure.

vegascat
30-12-2014, 03:40 PM
thanks! I'll set it up again tonight and seal the edges with PVA glue. At least I dry the PVA with a hair dryer, so that part will go quickly at least. :P

skraaal
06-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Well I'm going to have to drop out of this one. I wasn't happy with how he was turning out. I think I've discovered that I don't enjoy painting miniatures that are quite that large.

Oh well. This is where it got to before I called it quits anyway.

http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/attachment.php?attachmentid=39731&stc=1

Darklord
06-01-2015, 04:22 PM
thats a shame he was going really nicely, especially the face.

vegascat
06-01-2015, 04:26 PM
The face on your LJ was turning out really nice! Much better than mine. I rushed and finished mine Saturday night. I wanted to do some touchup on Sunday but ran out of time. What do you guys think?

http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/attachment.php?attachmentid=39732&stc=1
http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/attachment.php?attachmentid=39733&stc=1

I learned a lot with regards to water effects and capliary action. Capliary action caused the water effect to dry along the edge higher than on the rest of the base and I had to cut it down (you can kind of see some of it around his legs and on the plant). I also wanted to have him holding a fish or aquatic creature, but couldn't find one in time and the set I had order still hasn't come in. :( I also wanted to paint the outside of the base black, which is why it looks so unfinished. I had initially wanted to paint some Maori tattoos on his face and possibly his chest and/or arm(s), but ran out of time.

Darklord
06-01-2015, 04:52 PM
those water effects came out great, was the wavy water on purpose or a happy accident?

vegascat
06-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Thanks! It was a happy accident.