PDA

View Full Version : Darklord v BloodFather

BloodFather
30-08-2014, 01:29 AM
The DarkLord faces off against the BloodFather in an epic bout to paint Maagaan from Mierce miniatures. Who shall forge the best version? BF is using NMM and DL is using TMM. Stay tuned.

Any update photos of the WIP DL? I'll put some up very soon.

BloodFather
03-09-2014, 05:12 PM
I got started on him recently. Happy with his face, and the armor will really come to after I glaze on some rusty browns and maybe some greens. Considering how to do the sabre toothed cloak. Leopard spots or tiger stripes? White or ochre? Decisions decisions to make....

BloodFather
03-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Your move DL....your move.... ;)

Normski
03-09-2014, 09:16 PM
I dont know if it was sculpted intentionally but the breast plate on that mini has always reminded me of the eye of terror from GW Chaos.

Darklord
04-09-2014, 09:38 AM
good start mate. To be honest I think you will win this one. I am restricted onto a gaming setting and your skills are fantastic but I shall give it a go.

Not started mine yet, well actually I have got to the primer stage, had to do some repair sculpting where the cloak section joins on as it was a bit warped and twisted on mine. Got a comission to get out the way first (just base to finish) then onto this, hopefully starting Tuesday so some WIP in about a weeks time

BloodFather
07-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks DL. It is all in fun, either way. Take your time, and I am excited to see what you come up with...

Darklord
08-09-2014, 03:19 PM
just started mine. Your scheme is similar to mine in terms of the gold trim I was thinking the same, as mine are true metallics I am considering some purple and green glazes on the metal work to break it up and give it some interest. I have done it n NMM before fine but not dual colour on metal

Darklord
11-09-2014, 05:19 PM
quick update, just a fast shot so duff lighting.

just the main metalwork done so far, it has more bluing in reality. The sword blade may well get repainted as I am not happy with it. The base isnt finished, the rock will be mainly covered by snow and the earth is just basecoated.

I am waiting to hear back from the client but I asked about the eye like motifs on his chest and shouler as the original artwork has them in white which I am not keen on. Also need to make sure hes happy with everything so far of course!

BloodFather
11-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Tough for me to tell with the sepia tone of the photo, but I think it's lookin damn good!! May have me beat, brother!! Please, more photos!!

I just started on the cloak. Trying to make it look like a real-ish tiger, so it's a burnt orange cloak. Haven't put down the stripes yet, but it's not clashing overly like I thought it could. How well the cloak is executed will determine what people think if the whole paint job, IMO. Good luck my friend, I know I could use some.

Darklord
16-09-2014, 03:50 PM
mines getting towards finish. after discussions with the client I went for a snow leopard cloack. Im wishing I hadnt attatched the arms rpior to painting though!

BloodFather
21-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Hi, sorry. I know I've been away for awhile. I am 95% done with mini, about 50% done with his base. I sculpted a sort of brick ruined structure that he is standing on. It got mixed reviews on other forums so I've been debating where to go next. But hope to get much done tonight and I'll provide some pics. I agree with the arms, can cause problems. Also, the sword was overall unremarkable, so when mine broke off for the tenth time when I dropped it, I just replaced it with a spare sword that is a bit better sculpted. The original just didn't have very solid edges, IMO.

BloodFather
23-09-2014, 11:29 AM
So the mini and the base are both about 90 percent done. But not all the way. A lot of edge highlighting to do on the mini, cleaning up, and filling in some gold. But just thought I should show where I am at:

vegascat
23-09-2014, 02:21 PM
What line are the plants that your using from? I really like them! I want to say more, but will wait for the voting.

Darklord
23-09-2014, 02:26 PM
you have me beat and no mistake! Just about to photo mine.

I think the base is fantastic. However I dont think it suits the mini. Folks associate armour with knights which doesnt really relate to bricks (more stone or wattle and daub) but then it is fantasy so no hard rules!

Darklord
23-09-2014, 03:15 PM
all done. Happy enough with it done with the clients wishes. I do like painting the Mierce stuff.

Good luck Bloodfather though I dont feel you need it!!

http://www.wampforum.com/gallery/images/1-087905600-1411477816.jpg

BloodFather
23-09-2014, 04:30 PM
I don't know DL, your Maagaan is looking quite stunning. You really pulled off the dark blue black armor, and the face somehow looks even more dark and brooding than the sculpt allows. It was a fun face to paint(minus the bumps which I see, like me, you just ignored). Considering you had to make yours a gaming base you are unfairly disadvantaged. The snow leopard pelt works too.

I definitely felt felt that a rocky snow base was the natural way to go with this, but I've done this and so I wanted to move on and try something new. I tried to make the colors on the mini present on the base. So you will see that the bricks are based in dark gray and then painted a red brown that is present in the armor of the mini. I basically just wanted a ruined structure of some sorts to signify war and conquest. There will be a half buried, sheathed sword sticking out of the loose bricks when it's all done.

Ill be done in a day or two. So at most I'll need 3 days...

BloodFather
23-09-2014, 04:44 PM
What line are the plants that your using from? I really like them! I want to say more, but will wait for the voting.

The bush is from a company called Polak. You can purchase them through Pk Pro. Link below. The grass jutting up between the boards is also from Polak, but it was a tall, very tall grass that I snipped short to make it appear as though it was a small weed. The tufts are your run of the mill highland tufts from Army Painter. The ivy is also from AP.

Really reccomend end pk pro to a lot of people. I paid via wire transfer, which may take a few days, and it made it from Germany to the US in a matter of 5 days. Oh yeah, and the owner contacted me several times along the way.

Polak also sells some premade terrain consisting of grass and other plants. Worth looking into.

http://www.pk-pro.de/High-Bushes

Darklord
23-09-2014, 04:57 PM
thanks for the compliments mate, appreciate it. Though nicking my sticking out sword idea I dont know about!!

I will look at the Polak stuff, I stock a fair bit of Pk Pro stuff in the Wamp store ad need to make an order so i may grab some of this in

BloodFather
23-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Yes, stock some of the polak for sure. You know, I really do need to support my WAMP Store...think I'll start coming here first. I haven't even given it a fair perusing....off to do some browsing...

Oh and I was forced to steal your sword idea... I'm out of spears and an axe just wouldn't do, and any other weapons I have still have the hands attached and would be too much hassle.

BloodFather
13-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Hey I have to apologize for my tardiness. The project has been complete for some time. I actually put together some gallery pics after 3-4 days of trying a few things, and I just couldn't get the focussing and exposure right no matter what I tried. So I've had to switch methods and go with a light box and several daylight lamps. Should only be a couple/few days. I figure, may as well put it up when it's right.

Darklord
13-10-2014, 10:06 AM
No problem mate, I'm here all week! Take as long as you need

BloodFather
22-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Allrighty, so I never perfected these pics and touched up some final things, but I am going away with the Army for a short time so I just wanted to enter them right away. Wish I could have at least put them in a montage, but oh well. Here I go, feel free to move these to completed challenges my brother. And it was a ton of fun!!!!

BloodFather
22-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Let me add this one too. It shows the sword more.

vegascat
22-10-2014, 10:06 PM
... but I am going away with the Army for a short time...

Any chance you're coming the Washington D.C/Virgina area?

BloodFather
22-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Naw I'll be in a high plains desert environment

vegascat
22-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Naw I'll be in a high plains desert environment

Oh, got it. Let me know if you need any care packages.

Darklord
23-10-2014, 10:21 AM
nice mate Ill get voting set up

BloodFather
26-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Where is voting at? Looked around and haven't seen anything yet. If you just haven't got around to it no worries, just not sure if I am looking in the wrong places.

Darklord
28-10-2014, 03:53 PM
havent set up yet, family of sick folks so im a bit constrained. gime a few more days

BloodFather
14-11-2014, 05:40 PM
No worries my brother :)

BloodFather
12-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Any chance we can set up voting for this? Sorry, know I've been absent for forever :)

BloodFather
22-02-2015, 01:25 AM
Hey Mr Darklord???!!! Can you come out and play???? :)

Darklord
23-02-2015, 10:38 AM
voting is up (completely forgot!)

http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/showthread.php?t=17783&p=238538#post238538