PDA

View Full Version : [VOTING] Khonner v Vegascat

vegascat
06-06-2014, 04:47 AM
Khonner v Vegascat
Science fiction model
Voting will be overall 1-10 range, comments optional but desired by both painters

First up is Khonner's Reaper Flamethrower guy

Next up is Vegascat's GW Jain Zarr

Khonner
09-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Thanks for getting this started Vegas..

Darklord
09-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Ok here goes:

Khonner 7/10

like the model. I feel you could push the ngrime more though using pigments. You need to push the contrast (and have brighter photos) to make it pop more on our screens. I would take the flame extremes much darker, to an almost pure black (brown Tinge) not a lot but it just gives it a nice definition. Like the base, again some grime on there would be nice.

VegasCat 7/10
I find your photo over bright! The painting looks neat but again I feel you need more contrast in your painting namely shading I think. I like the two tone hair. Personally the rust on the blade doesnt sit right for m but thats just a colour choice.

All in all I think you guys are on a par. Best of luck!

Plarzoid
09-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Bases:
Vegascat's base is more detailed, more interesting and amplifies his model's pose very nicely. I like the yellow stripe on Khonner's, but it doesn't compare.

Blending:
I can't see much blending on Khonner's model, because I'm not sure what's paint and what's photography. That said, the flame is well blended, but doesn't take advantage of the texture provided by the sculpt. Vegascat's blending looks solid.

Contrast:
Vegascat's model needs deeper shadows. Khonner's I can't tell because I don't know what's paint and what's photography, but I concur with Darklord that the fire could use more ash / soot.

The above puts my favor towards Vegascat, but what clenches that is that I feel Khonner missed a huge opportunity for OSL from the flame. That shoulderpad towards the flame is ripe for it. The flame is a huge light source, and the fact that it wasn't even attempted disappoints me greatly.

Khonner: 6 / 10
Vegascat: 7.5 / 10

Demonn
09-06-2014, 08:20 PM
well done both of you.

first, I think VC could have taken a better pic. It seems a bit overexposed so not all the details are clearly visible (but I'll try not to take that against you VC).
For some reason I like Khoner's base better. seems better suited to the mini, and I like the neatness of it. VC's base seems a bit too small for the mini (it seems topheavy) and as much as I know that it's its gaming base, it still seems off. a point more for Khonner.
Painting as DL mentioned is on a par, with both minis having some drawbacks (fire on Khonner's could have some darker tones towards the tip or VC's metal shaft of the weapon that should have some highlight/shade/reflection as metal usually does). so you'd be tied here.
However, Khonner got Croatia in WC Sweepstakes, so I'll give him a point there (and I know it's not fair, but you VC got Italy and they are boooooooring :biggrin:).

so to sum up:
Vegascat 7
Khonner 9 (one extra point for rooting for Croatia)

waghorn41
09-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Khonner
Nice model and a solid paint job but I feel the green needs more shading and highlights to make it pop, the metals could benefit from some colour work too. Flame is good and the base is simple but effective.
Score 7

Vegascat
Interestingchoice of model, nice colour choice and the two-tone hair works well. Looks to be shaded and highlighted but the reflections from your lighting are burning out your efforts! In photo 2 the blade looks good but in 3 it looks awful and as 3 is the clearer I think a little tidying up is in order. Nice base but I find the colour a little bright and distracting from the actual mini.
Score 7

krimso
10-06-2014, 04:43 PM
It seems like photography has made it difficult for both entries.

Khonner: I can tell that there is shading and highlighting but perhaps its too subtle for the photos. I like the flames best and they do much to make the mini pop. Agreed that a bit of soot or smoky effect would help. Overall, I think I'd add some additional color contrast to further make the mini pop. Add a second type of metallic or a bright color (dinged up) for the tank on his back.

7/10

Vegascat: Not being a GW fan I have no idea what this figure is and it has taken me awhile to make some sense of it:confused:. I think I have identified a face but not sure. The photos make it difficult. However, I do like your color choices, the purple and orange are a nice contrast. I'd keep working on making that purple stand out. Love the hair. I'd mix some black with the metallic and shade the staff then go back and highlight a bit. It looks a bit too blah.

7/10

Spectral Dragon
11-06-2014, 12:33 AM
I'm going to chime in here and say that I would normally vote.... however the photo's need to be redone before I do so because I don't feel I would give a fair assessment to either entry otherwise.

vegascat
19-06-2014, 04:44 AM
@SD - Try these new pics. In an effort to help and show our models in a better light, :D we've taken new pics and they are posted below. Once we get SD's vote, at least, and hopefully a few more, I'll close the voting either Thursday evening (here in the eastern USA) or Friday morning.

First is Khonner's Flamethrower guy
Next is my Jain Zarr

Demonn
19-06-2014, 06:58 PM
those are much better pics!

however I'm not gonna change my vote (go Croatia!)
(i did think it only fair to write that :biggrin:)

vegascat
19-06-2014, 07:02 PM
those are much better pics!

however I'm not gonna change my vote (go Croatia!)
(i did think it only fair to write that :biggrin:)

LOL! Hey! Croatia won!

Thanks, though, both our pics are much better. I made a cheap DIY photobooth.

NeatPete
19-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Much better pics thanks!

Vegas: 7.5 Cool colors, nice shading, love the hair!
Khonner: 6.5 Tough to see the work you put into this. I see some battle damage but can't quite make any of the details out.

vegascat
24-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Doesn't seem like we're going to get any more votes, so I'm going to close the voting. Here are the results:

Khonner: 42.5 points
Vegascat: 43 points

Looks like I barely squeaked out a win! Thanks to everyone who voted and left feedback (even if you like the Croatian World Cup team :belial:) and a big thanks to Khonner for his patience as life seemed to have other things in mind for me than painting for a while. I'm looking forward to seeing more and more of his painting.

Khonner
24-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Congrats Vegas!

krimso
01-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks for posting the second round of pics. Much better than the first! Congrats Vegas and both were great entries.