PDA

View Full Version : The Little Angels charity painting contest

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darklord
10-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Welcome to what I believe is the biggest online miniature painting contest the world has ever seen!

Last year you may recall Wamp held a charity auction to raise money for the NSPCC . We managed with a lot of help to raise over 650. But I thought this year we could do a little better!

The aim this year is to raise over 1,000 for Tommy's, a charity dedicated to preventing miscarriage and still births. It's a cause close to my heart and no doubt some of you will have been affected by the subject yourself. If you want you can read my personal experiences here: My Story (http://wamp-forum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1724)
So after 3 months and hundreds of emails I can finally launch this contest.

The concept is simple - you can enter anything you want - miniatures,diorama, scenery.
You can enter as many times as you want.
You can enter something you paint next week or something you painted 20 years ago. It doesn't matter if its been in other contests - enter your slayer sword winning entry if you like!!
The one major rule is that everything you enter you must auction and donate the proceeds to Tommy's

To tempt you into doing this I have begged, cajoled and plain old pestered companies and the result is this contest has a prize fund currently sitting at 1994.28 and that will definitely rise more.
Yes that figure is correct!! miniatures,bases,brushes, DVD's and even cold hard cash!
There are currently at least 50 prize categories you can win - there are sponsor specific prizes, best genre prizes, random entry prizes, prizes for best orc, best base, best diorama, highest and lowest auction price and more!!
One prize stands out and that is of course the Best in Show prize.
One lucky winner who scoops this prize will receive a massive prize pot currently valued at 315.37 and is guaranteed to grow and that includes cash!!
To see the up-to-date prize list and catagories click here (http://wamp-forum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1732)

The deadline for entries is - 28th March 2010 6pm GMTso a ton of time to enter!
Full rules can be found here (http://wamp-forum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1731)

There are tons of ways to get involved with this campaign.
The best way is of course to enter the contest - the more the merrier.
If not then you can help spread the word - copy and paste the banner or link (I shall add shortly) and put it in your forum sigs or your emails, post the announcement on your site or forum.
maybe you can donate a prize or two?
Bid on the auctions of course helps and you can simply donate money directly here:
http://www.tommys.org/wamp
1 or 500 it all helps.
My 4 year old daughter is even going to paint a model to help out!!

This really has the potential to do great things. I do believe we can raise plenty.

And please don't be put off entering or thinking your stuff wont sell - it all helps, there are random prizes and even a prize for the lowest auction price!

Finally a massive thank you to Shanerozzel for doing the banner and to all the sponsors who have been so generous to support us.

Please help support the cause in any way you can

Entries should be placed here (http://wamp-forum.com/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=106)
Each entry may be placed in only ONE of these catagories - They will automatically be entered into all other eligible categories (such as monster, sci-fi, etc)
If you are unsure ask!

nathanr
10-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for putting this together, my wife and I had a stillborn son this past June. There is no hurt in the world like it and I hope that this can in some way prevent others from going through it. This cause hits really close to my heart and I'm going to participate in it to the best of my ability.

Darklord
10-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear that Nathan, hopefully we can help prevent things like that in the future.

NeatPete
10-11-2009, 05:39 PM
This is friggin fantastic! A very worthy cause that is very near and dear to my heart and my familly. Thank you so much for getting this together. I'm so excited to be a part of this and can't wait to see what we can raise together. LETS GO WAMP!!!!

Hinton
10-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Absolutely amazing.

Wonderful of you to put this together, DL.

I'm definitely going to do something, maybe even multiple pieces. However, I haven't ever sold anything on eBay (bought a few pieces, but that's it), so I was wondering: for those of us that don't use eBay for selling items - or at all - is there a way to sell our pieces through a third party account?

Darklord
10-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes if people cannoth auction the items themselves then they can either get someone else to do iton their behalf or I can do it for them. Doesnt even have to be on ebay either

NeatPete
10-11-2009, 06:41 PM
If anyone in the US (or anywhere for that matter) needs help selling anything on Ebay, I have an active sellers account I would be more than happy to run auctions through.

Hinton
10-11-2009, 06:45 PM
@DL and Pete: thanks for the offers. I'll probably take one of you up on that since I don't know jack about running auctions.

Been sitting here thinking about this and I'm thinking that I'm going to devote all of my painting time towards projects for this. I've had a few ideas knocking around in my head for a while now of things I would like to do and this sounds like it might be a good outlet for them.

nathanr
10-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Can an item be entered into multiple categories?

For example: Could an orc on a wyvern with a scenic base be entered into fantasy, orc, monster and base? or do we need to pick 1 category for each mini? I'm fine either way but it is good to know.

Cregan Tur
10-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Where do we enter our minis and are you going to setup an album for this?

ScottRadom
10-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Coolio. I should have my first of many, many entries ready later this week. Nice one Brett!

Darklord
10-11-2009, 07:29 PM
@Hinton - glad to hear it mate!
please note guys you can enter something previously entered ni a another contest either a wamp one or elsewhere so you get maximum chance to double up if you need to.
@ Nathan entries can only be entered into one manufacturer catagory but will automatically also go into other relevant ones - soo any based mini goes into best base, any fantasy entries go into fantasy etc - so theoretically you could have say an Avatars of War beastman in the Avatars of War catagory, it would also be eligible for best fantasy, best base, best in show, highest/lowest auction price and random entry prize too.
You can also enter minis from companies not listed there - they would still enter everything except the manufacturer specific ones.
Clear as mud?
@Cregan - There will be albums set up when i get to it sometime this week
glad you guys are supporting this, hopefully theres something for everyone!

NeatPete
10-11-2009, 08:20 PM
[quote="Darklord"]entries can only be entered into one manufacturer catagory but will automatically also go into other relevant ones - soo any based mini goes into best base, any fantasy entries go into fantasy etc - so theoretically you could have say an Avatars of War beastman in the Avatars of War catagory, it would also be eligible for best fantasy, best base, best in show, highest/lowest auction price and random entry prize too.
You can also enter minis from companies not listed there - they would still enter everything except the manufacturer specific ones.
Clear as mud?

So in this example would the beastman only qualify to WIN one contest or could it clean house and win all the ones you mentioned? If it qualifies to win just one, then would it be the manufactures contest or the how do you determine what is the primary category that it wins.

Sorry, not to come across like I really care about all the prizes, I'm just trying to figure it all out :)

NeatPete
10-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Also, I would assume we can "paint forward" for WAMP specials. Say I want to paint my kindgdom of death mini and sell it for this auction, but the KOD WAMP special isn't until Nov 2010. I assume I can use the photos for this mini in the WAMP special even if it was 6+ months ago?

I hope that makes sense...

Darklord
10-11-2009, 08:29 PM
the beastman could win all.
You can enter each catagory as many times as you like but you can only win one prize per catagory - so if you enter 3 mini and get 1st and 2nd place the 2nd place one would be removed from winning that prize (as you keep the higher) but you can win prizes in as many catagories as you like.
The only prize you cannot win on top of others are the random prizes - they will only be awarded to people who havent won a prize elsewhere in the contest.
As for 'painting forward' yes thats fine with me.
(who said KOD was november?)

NeatPete
10-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks! (I was speaking in hypotheticals... I have no idea when the KOD special is)

Captain Sprout
10-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Great idea, I shall definitely enter and support the cause. Ages to think of something too :lol:

Nice idea, great charity.

Vern
10-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Cool idea, and very noble cause - I'm sure I'll be doing something for this, thanks Brett

Dunnie
10-11-2009, 11:11 PM
reading this has got me thinking about all the things i could do... must write them all down...

And the charity, amazing. Will deff submit something.

Hinton
10-11-2009, 11:23 PM
please note guys you can enter something previously entered ni a another contest either a wamp one or elsewhere so you get maximum chance to double up if you need to.

I would enter previously painted stuff if it all hadn't been ruined by the cat. Either way I go, I'll have to assemble and paint things for this.

But thanks for letting us know.

Darklord
11-11-2009, 08:27 AM
no problem. Even the mrs is planning on painting something to help and she doesnt even paint!

Havent even thought what I might do yet - need 5 minutes to think!!

Lost Boy
11-11-2009, 09:00 AM
I've got a few ideas for different things, though they'll probably grow/shrink over time. Hopefully I'll end up with something decent that'll raise some cash. And if it doesn't look like it will, I'll just buy it under The Wife's name and give the money to the charity myself... :wink:

Darklord
11-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Details for the Pulp City catgory are now up. Also more prizes added to the Best in Show and 'other' catagories.
The prize fund now sits at 1489.49 and best in show at 315.37!!

Boris
11-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Wow - what an event - if this doesn't motivate people to the cause, there won't be much that will!
Awesome organising DL.

Looks like I can clear some shelves if I stick things back together and tidy them up :)
I'll do my best to advertise this - and see what we can do with SI.

Darklord
11-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks Becca, every little bit of publicicty helps!
And hopefully you have a mini for this contest?!!

Cregan Tur
11-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I decided to auction off the 2 Mantic elves I finished a couple of weeks ago for this, and I picked up a box of Ork Gretchin especially for this contest/charity today.

Should we setup some sort of schedule of when to hold the auctions? That way we could create posts that include links to these auctions and advertise the thread so they can have a good bit of advertising. Does that make any sense?

Darklord
11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
cool cregan - I bets get the albums sorted!!
I figured I wold set up a page for all the auctions - If we could hold them all together at the end would be best I think (more items more interest as a whole) if thats ok with you. Of course if people want to auction off before then thats fine too!!

NeatPete
11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah I was thinking of some sort of mass linkage as well. Get everything up around the same time so we can link them all together and get the most exposure.

I was thinking of painting those elves and selling them as well. (among tons of other things). Maybe I can send mine to you when they are done so we can sell 4 at the same time or w/e, Might help the sale. Actually, if a bunch of have those 2 elves, maybe we could all paint them and have a nice squad for sale...

Darklord
11-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I got 2 - I wont have chance to paint them so i can give them to someone else to add to theirs

Cregan Tur
11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Brett- I'll paint them and add them to my pair, if you want. You've got my address.

Darklord
11-11-2009, 10:28 PM
yeah Ill stick em in with the static grass - do me afavour if i havent said anything remind me in a couple of days - my brains threatening to implode right now!!

Darklord
12-11-2009, 10:30 AM
albums are up here (http://wamp-forum.com/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=106)

alextheartist
12-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Put my first entry up :P

Darklord
12-11-2009, 12:11 PM
wohoo!! First entry. You know after 3 months and some long hours I feel pretty emotional to see the first one in.
I shall be entering 4 straight away from earlier contests (unfrotunatley not my giant or beastman as they are being sold to pay for the forum upgrade!)
My armorast will be going in the scenery section.
Im also planning to enter a few that can double up for the sponored contests next year.

Oh and I should have news on a brand new manufacturer category soon

waghorn41
12-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm tempted to go for lowest bid prize and put in one of my bloodbowl orc items , maybe 'evil construction' - or would that be cheating?

Darklord
12-11-2009, 05:26 PM
put in what you like mate (the item must sell to win it though!!)

Darklord
13-11-2009, 07:27 AM
I have applied to Guiness world records to see if we could possibly create one for this event - doubtful but I'll let you know

Hinton
13-11-2009, 12:03 PM
You never know until you try. Considering all of the things they put in there, there's certainly a possibility that this could be allowed in.

TAB Studio
13-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Good to see something like this going on ...I will try to lend a hand as well

Darklord
13-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi Tracy, welcome to wamp - hope you can get involved - that would be great.

@Hinton - yeah well I figured theres no harm in asking!!
and its given me an idea for next years charity event!

Boris
13-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I will be sorting out some already painted items as entries - and will take some new (ie. hopefully better) photos of them. Then I'll start thinking about painting some new stuff.

I'm afraid I've not posted this to SI yet - been a hectic week and barely had a lunch/eve free to do much. Will get on it though!

Darklord
13-11-2009, 01:07 PM
thats great thanks Becca - I have 4 entries to go in that were from previous comps, plus my armorcast one then I can start to think about new stuff - Im planning on hitting ones that can double up for the sponsored comps next year - I already have AoW,scibor, westwind, gamezone to be getting on with and I think theres some kingdom death on its way

No worries on the Si - I realise people have other things to do so If i neg too much excuse me - its done in the best interests! Maybe you could get a poster up at that games shop?!!

Vern
13-11-2009, 01:13 PM
As I can't imagine my indvidual stuff making much, I'm thinking of doing some units (& maybe a 15mm DBA army), but probably won't have time until after the Pegaso Comp, so ....

... WH Orcs - what's best/popular? Orcs with spears, or with hand weapons? (I have a regt box)

ScottRadom
13-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Hand weapons and shield or two hand weapons for the orcs.

Vern
13-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Cheers Scott, I figured it would be something like that

Darklord
13-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Great news Guys, we have another sponsor.......

Privateer Press!!

1st and 2nd place will each receive $50 gift voucher from PP

Darklord
14-11-2009, 12:10 PM
i got my first three entries in - all from sponsored contests here

Vern
14-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Privateer Press!!

That's quite a coup! Just need GW next :shock:

Darklord
14-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah its a good one I cant claim all the credit though - Ricky did most of the work on them!- If we can get it mentioned on their site that would be good.

LVix
16-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Just an awesome idea: read the story and it brought back a lot of memories for me. I'm a bit tied up with a couple of commissions atm but will hopefully be able to do something from mid-December.

Oh... and hi. This is perhaps the strangest and best way I've been enticed into joining a forum. Hope to stay for a while.

LVix

Darklord
16-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi Lvix, welcome to wamp. would be great if you can get something done.
Hope to see you around plenty - its a friendly place

Darklord
16-11-2009, 08:47 PM
The fundraising is officially underway witha 25 donation from Ian Newbold who runs the newbold challenge for children in need.
He is also adding a 25 cash donation to the prize pot - details on that to come

Captain Sprout
16-11-2009, 08:48 PM
In the spirit of the Privateer Press entry I had something I ordered arrive as something else completely and have no use for some of the models (and I don't like them!).

Got these

http://www.diver.pt/loja/images/Cryx_NecroSurgeonStitch_Thrall.jpg

Didn't order them and only rather like the thingy in the middle (no idea what it is or why) so will keep that.

If anyone wants two of the things on the right and the thing on the left let me know..if you paint them up for the comp in some shape or form you can have them for nothing, first come first served.

Darklord
16-11-2009, 08:53 PM
very kind captain sprout.
Mind if i copy this over to the cmon thread too?

Captain Sprout
16-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Nope, anyone is welcome to the weird little things!

Darklord
16-11-2009, 08:55 PM
They are strange!!

Captain Sprout
16-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I was after the scrap thralls but these arrived instead. Obviously fate.

I would return them but its better to put them to nicer use. And the blister got squished when my enthusiastic postie forced the parcel through the letterbox and then the cat ran off with it. I found it, all ripped, in the middle of the lounge.

Minis are intact though!

Darklord
16-11-2009, 09:00 PM
the cat ran off with the letterbox - crafty git!!
I posted it and said to pm you (or me if they like) - obviusly let us know if they get snapped up

Captain Sprout
16-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Will do..I wonder if there will be any takers actually :lol:

The cat has many talents..obsession with paper parcels being one of the highlights. I had to take a parcelforce card to the depot all taped together.

"Puppy!" said the assistant looking all sympathetic, hoping I'd share stories of my little cute lab taking a break from toilet paper shredding.

"Er.. kitten" said I.

"Hrmph!" she said and practically threw my parcel at me.

Darklord
16-11-2009, 09:11 PM
well if theres no takers Ill whip em upif i get time!

Captain Sprout
16-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Cool..they need a home. If no one else wants them I'll post them off to you.

Boris
16-11-2009, 09:17 PM
I'll take one to paint for this if you like Sprout. Should be able to squeeze a little one in over Christmas.

waghorn41
16-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I collect Cryx...

Captain Sprout
16-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Well there's enough for one for Boris and two for Waghorn the collector of Cryx!..if you are ok with that you are welcome to them!

PM me your addresses and I shall mark them as left the stadium.

Darklord
16-11-2009, 11:28 PM
UPDATE.
There is now a new prize on offer - Whoever raises the highest amount will receive 25 in cash (via pyapal) courtesy of Newbold World. This may be won in addition to all other prizes available.
It takes the total prize fund to 1575

Darklord
18-11-2009, 07:44 PM
well i was going to starts my entry for the seasonal comp but need to saw some wood first for that and its dark, so Im starting the dwarf Demi sent me to pop in this contest instead - should be a fun little piece

EldinTux
18-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I have a version of Heyu by Hasslefree done I'll get piccies, Will be putting my Season entry in and my ladder entry too. If I get some time I also have some AoW figures I'll see if I can get them painted up.

Darklord
18-11-2009, 07:57 PM
good man - and you can use your aow for the comp next year!

jar
18-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Ahh yeah... finally something brouhgt me in here... i am with you at this great goal!

Darklord
19-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey Roman my friend - great to see you here and helping the cause - its much appreciated. Thanks for adding the link and the auction piece its very nice.
You need to upload your entry into here: http://wamp-forum.com/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=126

jar
19-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Done, thanks for the information...

Darklord
19-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Gaspez Arts prizes are now confirmed:
1st - Marauder http://www.gaspez-arts.com/?go=details&id=93
2nd Cordelia http://www.gaspez-arts.com/?go=details&id=92

alextheartist
19-11-2009, 10:29 AM
lol the second prize costs more than the first.. but it is sweeter though...

Darklord
19-11-2009, 10:32 AM
yeah i thought the marauder was more main stream

alextheartist
19-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Good call

Darklord
20-11-2009, 02:42 PM
my apologies but I got the gaspez arts prizes slightly wrong!!

the correct prizes are:
1st - Chaos Dwarf fantasy football squad (Mushur,Durtush,Shadach, Ashum-dur, ehur-uk
2nd - Cordelia

Hopefully it doesnt alter things for anyone!

Cregan Tur
20-11-2009, 04:00 PM
my apologies but I got the gaspez arts prizes slightly wrong!!

the correct prizes are:
1st - Chaos Dwarf fantasy football squad (Mushur,Durtush,Shadach, Ashum-dur, ehur-uk
2nd - Cordelia

Hopefully it doesnt alter things for anyone!

Nnnoooooo!!!! my plans are ruined now- how ever can I continue to paint after this? The brush fits wrongly in my mishapen claw of a hand... I am cursed- why!?!?!?

KHAN!!!!!

Darklord
20-11-2009, 06:10 PM
:omg: :calm:

Darklord
23-11-2009, 04:54 PM
There is going to be a brand new category announced later this evening

Darklord
23-11-2009, 05:00 PM
make that 2 new categories!!

Darklord
23-11-2009, 06:40 PM
right I have pleasure in announcing 2 new categories for you all (thought maybe theyre werent enough yet!

First up we have a new manufacturer category by Rolljordan : www.rolljordan.com

1st prize - horned giant toad (http://www.rolljordan.com/public/store//product_info.php?products_id=63&osCsid=f8jh0c3nvmtfucssdba7vg32t)
and Horned Frog coach (http://www.rolljordan.com/public/store//product_info.php?products_id=50&osCsid=f8jh0c3nvmtfucssdba7vg32t2)
2nd place - Valentina 2 (http://www.rolljordan.com/public/store//product_info.php?cPath=21_23_27_30&products_id=65&osCsid=f8jh0c3nvmtfucssdba7vg32t2)
This is open to all miniatures produced by Rolljordan miniatures

Our second category comes courtesy of www.bitsandkits.co.uk.
This category is Best conversion and the winner will take home a Games Workshop battalion or battleforce of their choice!

This category is open to all entries with significant conversion.

So that takes the prize fund now way up to 1678 worth of prizes!! and there are now 36 categories you can win in.
Surely you must be tempted by now?!!

and if your not then heck just donate some cash or spread the word!!

waghorn41
23-11-2009, 07:40 PM
ooh, conversion - now I have just the project sitting on my worktop...

Darklord
25-11-2009, 09:47 AM
does it involve blood bowl orks?!!

waghorn41
25-11-2009, 05:30 PM
NO IT BLOODY WELL DOESN'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunnie
25-11-2009, 08:43 PM
This just keeps getting better and better!

RogerB
26-11-2009, 03:00 AM
I'm just going to have to bid on the finished minis to contribute that way. I know I'm highly unlikely to get something finished.

Darklord
26-11-2009, 10:06 AM
any help is appreciated Roger.
any chance you could pimp it on forum of doom for us mate?

Dunnie
26-11-2009, 08:36 PM
I was just wondering... If make something that I think is particularly awsome and I want to keep it after this, would a donation to charity be enough to keep the model?

waghorn41
26-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Just received the perfect mini, Baby Lillian Angel by Darksword. It's only available if you spend $75 but Jim sent me one as free swag after I claimed my CMON prize. She's tiny but delightful; baby on a cushion with angel wings and a halo.

Darklord
27-11-2009, 07:00 AM
sounds very fitting wag.

@Dunnie, you would still have to put it up for auction (its the whole remit after all!) but you could bid on it yourself (via someone else- ie you let me know what you would pay and I would bid on your behalf)
otherwise we could end up with several entries where we are trying to decide the value of it to base a donation on and thats a tricky thing!

Dunnie
27-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Yes thats what i meant. I did not explain very well what I meant. It was just a wonderment off me. If I do create something I want to keep I know there is a way now.

Captain Sprout
27-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Apologies for not sending the free weird minis by now..haven't been able to get to the PO, will make sure they go off tomorrow or Monday so please don't think I have forgotten.

Ian Newbold
28-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi Darklord.

I can't paint for toffee so can't help in that way but I'd be happy to send you one or two items painted by others for you to auction if that would be any good?

And keep up the good work. Don't know when you find the time to sleep with all this lot going on!

Cheers, Ian

:D

Darklord
28-11-2009, 01:59 PM
cheers Ian that would be fantastic, I will reciprocate with your cause (as Im sure others here will too)
sleep - well I just grab a bit while the wifes talking!

Dunnie
28-11-2009, 08:23 PM
lol i feel the same DL.

Getting some ideas together now... just have to see how those work out.

There will be at least one item off me though. I hope a lot more.

Darklord
30-11-2009, 05:25 PM
very good sir. Im just about to go through my stuff and see what im going to enter - I wont get it all done but it will give me a plan of attack - probably start with stuff that will also go in next years contests too!

Boris
30-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I've been getting out some older minis that need fixing up, and as soon as I work out a safe way to post them to their potential new home they will get submitted.

I am thinking about entering my Big Fex as well as my ninja goblin - but really not sure how they can be transported safely. I think 'collection only' on the goblin will make getting bids very difficult - any ideas?

Also - should I be varnishing stuff so it doesn't get scratched in transit?

(This is all presuming someone will buy my minis of course)

Darklord
30-11-2009, 07:20 PM
hmm as long as stuff is well packed it should travel ok. as for varnish it should be ok without but you could always offer it to buyers if you wanted too. I varnish most of my stuff to put MY mind at rest!!

and people would buy your stuff

Boris
30-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I know how awkward it is to transport stuff to events, and I just think eek when I consider how mail is treated.
What do you do with your stuff on plinths?

Darklord
30-11-2009, 07:27 PM
same as the rest cardboard box - bubble wrap - shake it once packed to make sure it doesnt rattle had 2 breakages (both US) in about 5 years (and both were down to insufficient pinning on my part)

Boris
30-11-2009, 07:39 PM
"insufficient pinning"

yup - that's where I'm worried!

Keeper
30-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes, you should varnish. If you want packing advice, I'd be happy to meet up and see what we can do. I've posted quite a few minis before.

Boris
30-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Cheers Dave, that'd be good :)

Neolis
01-12-2009, 04:22 AM
Well you beat me out of silence on this one. I am going to try and make every one of my iron painter minis for this if I can. Suffering tastes better when its for charity.

Darklord
01-12-2009, 07:18 AM
nice one neolis and welcome to wamp!

Darklord
01-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Well i have picked out my prospective entries for this. may not get them all done - may get more done but good to have a plan I feel.
so Im doing:
Dwarf riding a pig for westwind or a monster - havent decided yet!
Iron Kingdoms Gobber rogue for privateer press
Spyglass zombie for the eolith and the chess set
Dark Elf queen for avatars of war
dwarf for scibor

thats the plan anyway!

Boris
05-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Captain Sprout - my mini arrived yesterday thank you! I will have a think about how to do him, and he'll probably get painted over xmas.

Captain Sprout
05-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Glad it arrived safely, I experimented with the new automatic machines at the PO, so its good to know they work too.

waghorn41
05-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Captain, my minis arrived yesterday, many thanks - now to get them primed ready for painting.

Captain Sprout
05-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Cool :)

Boris
08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
OK, off to photograph a couple of entries, my mate Jon said he'd auction them from his ebay store site for me this week - so hopefully last minute xmas shopping will be good for the price!.

Darklord
08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
nice one Becca

Boris
08-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Camera ran out of batteries, so need to try again - not sure the pics are going to be great tbh :(
But these first two will be the Ninja Goblin and the big fex - I'm hoping the new tyranid releases will encourage buyers on that one. To be honest I just want them to sell - and not break in the post!

a_thousand_hats
09-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Picked out a couple of minis to enter last night.

Two old citadel Chaos Warriors (Slaanesh & Khorne I think)
Also got a scooby-doo toy vehicle which is a little big for 28mm minis but I thought I'd throw it in too (after a paint job) - might make a bit of cash from a collector who also has the Hasslefree teenager miniatures.

Still looking through the rest of my minis for a few other options - not sure what categories yet. That's not really entered my head though to be honest, I'm just looking at the 'what to donate' side of things at the minute.

:)

Darklord
09-12-2009, 10:47 AM
sweet - sounds great buddy

Cregan Tur
09-12-2009, 01:44 PM
My Ork Gretchin set is almost completely assembled. I need to do all my gap filling and I've been thinking about doing a little conversion... but more than anything I just need to get them done and primed ASAP.

Darklord
09-12-2009, 02:13 PM
know the feeling cregan!

Darklord
10-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Its a no form guiness world records unfortunatley!

Boris
10-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Shame - but was worth the try DL. We still know it's the biggest!

Darklord
10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
thats right baby!! tell all the girls!

Actually havent seen Jason around much is he ok?

Boris
11-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Jay's fine - he's just been very busy lately.

Darklord
11-12-2009, 03:53 PM
did he hear back from GW?

Boris
11-12-2009, 08:44 PM
They said they never got his email with the photos - even though it was sent 24 hrs previous, with no failure on it!
C'est la vie!

OK, my mate Jon is going to add my first two models (Fex and ninja goblin) to his ebay store on Sunday, so I'll post links and pics when I get back after the weekend - hope I've done that right.

Darklord
11-12-2009, 08:51 PM
yeah thats fine Becca.

i got rejected by GW - mr scream didnt even get a reply either - there are rumours it was offered to somone without an interview process - dunno whether thats true

Lost Boy
12-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Put my Ork Nob on the backburner and picked out a figure for this last night...nothing too fancy-one of those PP Flameguard blokies on a Fenris plinth :).

Sorry to hear about the job, DL. TBH I was a bit dubious as to whether someone from outside the industry would get it anyway. It would be nice to think it'd happen...but it'll probably turn out that the person who gets the job already has some kind of close links to GW. A case of "Who you know", and all that... :roll:

You never know, though-something else might come up... :wink:

Darklord
12-12-2009, 08:38 AM
cheers LB. was no sweat, the usually employ 'regular' folks. It does appear it was always meant as an internal cavancy anyway. At least I dont have to move to nottingham now. (though the night out there was good.)

Lost Boy
12-12-2009, 09:16 AM
And did you not mention that you was going to give up the WaMP as well, if you got the job :nono

Probably worked out for the best then :muah

Darklord
12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
tis true padwan - the wamp works in mysterious ways

Boris
16-12-2009, 12:36 PM
The post about the comp over on the sI blog is in our top 25 viewed pages for this quarter!

Darklord
05-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Eric (Artica) has very kindly sent a package of some minis he is donating to the campaign. They are FREE to anyone that wants to paint them up for the contest - you can have as many as you like as long as you promise to paint them up for the contest. Its an easy way to enter the contest without forking out on minis and heps a great cause. If your interested then contact me and let me know which.
(i dont know the exact identities so if you happen to then please oblige!!)
they come as shown (some are just blu tacked for the photos) I can strip them of paint if required though if you can then great!
As this is for charity please try your best to paint them if you can so only ask for whats realistic for you to complete. If you have some unfinished ones then we would aim to auction them off unpainted or you could donate a nominal amount and keep any unpainted ones.
I am willing to post worldwide
any question let me know
cheers
Brett

GW Woodelf army I think
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/wamp-forum/LA%20-%20Erics%20donation/100_4439.jpg
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/wamp-forum/LA%20-%20Erics%20donation/100_4441.jpg
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/wamp-forum/LA%20-%20Erics%20donation/100_4443.jpg
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/wamp-forum/LA%20-%20Erics%20donation/100_4446.jpg

Some Skellies
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/wamp-forum/LA%20-%20Erics%20donation/100_4447.jpg

These say Harlequin on the tab and Kev white
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/wamp-forum/LA%20-%20Erics%20donation/100_4449.jpg

Sister of battle and something else!
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/wamp-forum/LA%20-%20Erics%20donation/100_4450.jpg

All Grenadier - most are by Julie Guthrie
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/wamp-forum/LA%20-%20Erics%20donation/100_4451.jpg

No idea what these 3 are!
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/wamp-forum/LA%20-%20Erics%20donation/100_4452.jpg

Darklord
06-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Orion and Ariel are taken

Darklord
07-01-2010, 07:45 AM
treemen, sister of battle , dark elf and the harlequin with the cane all taken now.

Boris - would they be any good for your painting group ?

Boris
07-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll ask on Facebook DL. Is it just the grenedier and unknown left then?

Darklord
07-01-2010, 03:48 PM
grenadier, the unknown, the harlequins (bar one) and the skellies all available

Darklord
14-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Just a little reminder to you all that there is exactly 1 month to go until the deadline for entries into the Little Angels contest.
So if you havent already got an entry in time is ticking! Please please pleasee try and paint something for this - its a ll for a great cause and with over 1800 worth of prizes up for grabs it really is worth it. the best in show prize alone is over 320 worth.

lets see those albums filling up! remember there may be categories with only the odd entry in - great chance to bag a prize!!

Darklord
14-01-2010, 12:16 PM
oh and theres even free uk listings on ebay on sunday!

Landreth
14-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Really great to make this contest, it must be every year. It's a pity, i can't take part, because i can't sell on eBay, i even have no any credit card. Hope my situation will change in near future. Thanks to you, that you doing such great things!

Darklord
14-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Really great to make this contest, it must be every year. It's a pity, i can't take part, because i can't sell on eBay, i even have no any credit card. Hope my situation will change in near future. Thanks to you, that you doing such great things!

shame you cant enter landreth - if its just the selling bit thats a problem - I can sell it on your behalf

Darklord
14-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Just to clarify on this people - even if you dont have an auction account we can sell it and donate on your behalf, just let me know

nathanr
14-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I have something that I want to do but it is going to be tight to get it done in time. If nothing else I'll paint up the figs and forget about the diorama that I was planning.

Simon.W
14-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I think i will need to get you to sell whatever i can get finished in time DL, as i do not at this stage in time have an auction account yet .

Darklord
15-01-2010, 07:23 AM
I think i will need to get you to sell whatever i can get finished in time DL, as i do not at this stage in time have an auction account yet .

no problem mate - I can sort that

Boris
16-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Finished my Dwarf - hope to get him on ebay tomorrow.

Darklord
16-01-2010, 05:11 PM
nice one Becca

Jabberwocky
16-01-2010, 05:13 PM

no problem mate - I can sort that

I'm reluctant to add to your workload, Brett, but I'm in the same boat. I've never sold my minis personally. I've done some charity work in the past, but have always just shipped the mini and it was sold by someone else.

Darklord
16-01-2010, 05:19 PM
no problem Jabberwocky - got a ton on anyway - an extra mini or too wont hurt!
just email me details and photos

Vern
16-01-2010, 09:14 PM
*flying visit*

Just to clarify on this people - even if you dont have an auction account we can sell it and donate on your behalf, just let me know

I don't mind ebaying stuff for people too (when I get a computer sorted, of course)

Darklord
16-01-2010, 09:29 PM
actually vern that would help me out a bit if you can do some.
Petes going to cover the odd one for us as well

Darklord
19-01-2010, 11:17 AM
we have now raised over half our target of 1,000 - we are now upto 542!!

Moth
19-01-2010, 11:33 AM
I asked Brett if he could action my entries for me, but seeing as he is a very busy bunny, would anyone else be willing to help me out?

Darklord
19-01-2010, 12:41 PM
guys I can do your auctions no problem if necessary - though vern has offered to cover some Uk ones - so if hes able maybe he would do yours Sias?
If anyone in the US needs help auctioning then neatpete may be able to take on one or two.
obviously they will need to remove their costs from the final donation amounts

Vern
19-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Im still off-line, but should be sorted by the weekend (if you don't mind hanging on)

nathanr
19-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I just assembled the minis for my entry last night. It is going to be tight to get it finished and sold in time but I'll do my best. If I can't get it sold in time I will buy it myself for $100 CAD and donate the money.

ScottRadom
19-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Nathan, if I am not mistaken the mini's don't need to be sold by the 14th, just listed by then. Am I correct? And if you don't have an eBay account Nathan I can always list it for you. Better to list your mini and use your 100$ to bid on someone else's I think!

NeatPete
19-01-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm ebaying things for any US customers that need some help. Just shoot me a pm if anyone needs help over here.

Darklord
19-01-2010, 03:24 PM
they must be entered into the Wamp photo albums by the 14th - you have a further 48 hours past that deadline to START the auction

alextheartist
19-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Gimme a pm doode :)

Darklord
19-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Gimme a pm doode :)

and which doode are you referring to?

alextheartist
19-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Sias, but I now realise there was a full other page :)

Moth
19-01-2010, 07:22 PM
righto... Alex is kindly auctioning my entries for me... thanks mate!

Darklord
19-01-2010, 08:25 PM
cheers Alex.

dont forget to add your item numbers to the album descriptions

waghorn41
23-01-2010, 10:21 PM
OK, I'd like to offer this mini, photos are not great but the mini is not available to buy at the moment; Baby Lillian by Darksword. The mini is 13mm from the base of the cushion to the top of the halo and looks better irl.

DL will you auction this for me please as I may have to buy it for my wife!

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/waghorn41/LittleAngel.jpg

Boris
24-01-2010, 01:37 PM
I've got two ready to go up today - Dragon Diorama, and Cryx Stitch Thrall.
Been finishing up some more today, and just need to sort out the photos for some others.
No more progress on the Ork yet, I'm trying to clear through these others first.

warhammergrimace
24-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I've dug some old ones out of gaming case, an old Catachan Captain and an old Plastic Deathwing Terminator squad, will upload later today.

warhammergrimace
24-01-2010, 02:22 PM
These are now on ebay;

Deathwing Terminators; 250568916039 (an old set painted a few years ago)
Catachan Officer; 250568917014 (another old mini)
Duel; 250568928370

Also Becky's are here

Cryx Stitch Thrall; 250568903037
Dragon Diorama; 250568904241
Rioters/Zombie Hunters; 250568919224

That's all folks

Darklord
25-01-2010, 11:37 AM
cheers guys.
@wag - can you email me the photos please mate

Boris
25-01-2010, 12:45 PM
And a little advertising for you :) http://irregularmagazine.com/2010/review-minis-for-sale/

Darklord
25-01-2010, 12:57 PM
cheers becca

Boris
25-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I've got 4 more entries ready to photograph, one set of photos to sort out, one mini that has chips that need fixing and the Ork that's just not having any work done on it :(
Hoping to have more of these up on Ebay this week.

Darklord
26-01-2010, 07:07 AM
someones a busy bee!

Boris
26-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm ALWAYS busy DL - it's how I roll (on anxiet, caffiene and adrenaline!)
Most of these are things I painted in the last year. Jay put my GD 07 entry, Lady Jena up on ebay today.

Darklord
26-01-2010, 12:47 PM
well its all apprciated - hopefully youll bag some prizes for your efforts!

Darklord
27-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I just wanted to clear up any possible confusion with regards to the chess set project:

The individual pieces may be entered into the contest as normal (my contribution for example is in the eolith category) The seperate pieces are eligible for all awards apart from most money raised and highest auction price - the set wont contribute to an individuals personal amount raised.
Hinton wont be entering the set as a whole but may enter his seperate pieces that he has personally worked upon.

if there are any questions let me know

Hinton
28-01-2010, 01:01 AM
I just wanted to clear up any possible confusion with regards to the chess set project:

The individual pieces may be entered into the contest as normal (my contribution for example is in the eolith category) The seperate pieces are eligible for all awards apart from most money raised and highest auction price - the set wont contribute to an individuals personal amount raised.
Hinton wont be entering the set as a whole but may enter his seperate pieces that he has personally worked upon.

What he said.

exilesjjb
30-01-2010, 02:24 AM
I have a question if a train leaves the station at 06:00 and travals at 78 MPH how long is it till it passes Scott Radoms box of tissues.

waghorn41
30-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Is that the empty box or the full one?

Darklord
30-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I have a question if a train leaves the station at 06:00 and travals at 78 MPH how long is it till it passes Scott Radoms box of tissues.

next tuesday

AngelicOne
31-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Go outta town for a week and you guys get all nutty...you crack me up.

Expected to get photo'd and auctions this week

Rackham TNB Thermo Priest
GW Skulltaker
Red Box Conradt the Crazed
Privateer Press Reinhardt

The goal is to have 6 figs by 6 manufactures done for the auction. I'll post links to the auctions this week.

Darklord
01-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Important News!

right I have 2 announcements for you:

Although we have had a great response so far with entries I know there are many of you that wanted to do more but havent had the time.
In response the deadline for all entries has been extended until
28th March 2010

This gives you another 8 weeks in which to submit further entries.

The extended deadline is open to all categories and all previous rules still apply.

This is a great chance to enter some of the categories with less entries in - a brilliant chance to grab yourself some free lead. If your the only entrant in a category your bound to win something!!

Below are categories with no entries so far
Guild of Harmony
Kabuki
Kingdom Death
Mantic Games
Minipainters
Myrmidon Studios
Rafm
Redbox
Reiver castings
Studio Mcvey

The extended deadline is also a great opportunity to enter a brand new category kindly sponsored by Raging Heroes
http://www.ragingheroes.com

They are putting forward two prizes - 2 sets of their Asharahs command groups , 1 in 28mm and 1 in 54mm (each set contains 3 miniatures.) some great looking minis too

As always, if you have any questions feel free to contact me

Lost Boy
01-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Oh... :unsure

Is it good that some companies aren't represented or bad? I've noticed the response on some of the other sites you've posted news on about the event has been a bit limp to say the least...

For all the time it takes to do something... :roll:

Darklord
01-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Oh... :unsure

Is it good that some companies aren't represented or bad? I've noticed the response on some of the other sites you've posted news on about the event has been a bit limp to say the least...

For all the time it takes to do something... :roll:

im suprised by the response to be honest - I figured there would be a much higher entry level than we had. The response form you guys has been fantastic, but yes I though we would have gained more - maybe its because we areo nly a small forum. still this is why i put in each category about minimum entry levels so we can at least auction any untaken prizes.
I've publicicsed as much as I can!!
still more prizes for those that do enter!

Moth
01-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Maybe you need a GW category.. Im wondering how many die heart GW fanboys have even heard of companies like Rafm and westwind productions

Darklord
01-02-2010, 11:19 AM
tried to get GW - plenty of popular cats like avatars of war, redbox, privateer press etc.

Moth
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Talking of Westwind... just remembered that you sent me one of their scarecrows a while back, will get that done aswell :). The ones I put up so far have all been sold, and Mr. Alex Riley will donate the cash to Little Angels.

Darklord
01-02-2010, 11:34 AM
sweet Sias.
think my westwind ones a winner!!

btw if anyone is going to the PB meet at the weekend and wants something for the contest I have some westwind I can share. just let me know

Boris
01-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Great news on the extension - I'm afraid I'll be trying to stick to the original timescale because I need to work on other things - but good to know there's no rush now :)

DL - any chance you can knock up an A4 poster advertsing the comp - we can stick it on the SI exhibition panels at the weekend!

Darklord
01-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Becca - the deadline wasnt extended to make people paint more (anyway you and Jason have already put in so much!) I just felt it would do no harm to extend it a bit - things like Iron paitner got in the wy for some (plus I can pimp it at the weekend hopefully!)

I will be bringing some a4 flyers along so if you could pop one or two on your stall that would be fantastic

Hinton
01-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Well, at least with that I might be able to enter a few categories since - hopefully - the chess set will be done within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for extending the deadline, DL.

Darklord
01-02-2010, 01:18 PM
no prob mate.

btw are you in contact with all the chess set donors?

Hinton
01-02-2010, 01:32 PM
With the exception of Rob (Demonherald) - who you are talking to - and BNSMiniatures (need to fire off a PM), I've heard from everyone working on a piece or pieces in one way or another. From the way it sounds, most are near-done or done and sending them my way sometime this week.

Of course, having the deadline extended means that if someone falls through, then I'll be able to fill in. That's mostly why I posted over in the WIP thread that I want to keep the deadline the same.

ScottRadom
01-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah now I can enter some more.

BTW, I have a red box entry, it was a dwarf painted a while ago. I just had to fix one of his eyeballs up.

Darklord
01-02-2010, 02:16 PM
@Hinton - robs are ready for posting - not sure if he actually sent them yet. It was nigel I wasnt sure of whether you were in touch.

@Scott - only extended it just for you mate. now get painting.
8 weeks = 8 minis per member x 187 members = 1496 entries!!!

actually we have 47 entries so far only 14 are in manufacturer specific categories.

Boris has most entries - 9
Boris has most raised so far (confrimed amount)
Scott has 1st place in pulp city (At the mo)
Brett has an urge for a coffee

Darklord
01-02-2010, 02:22 PM
@waghorn - you need to upload your darksword entry

Cregan Tur
01-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I've got a mantic entry I'm going to put up tonight or tomorrow when I put up the Geer Hedz. I've been participating in a momumental struggle to get a really good group shot of the little buggers to use for my auction.

Darklord
01-02-2010, 03:22 PM
cool - bet those greenskins are apain to photograph bet theres always one pulling a face

NeatPete
01-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Re: the response and lack of support.

From what I've picked up, I think the cause and/or the location of the charity in England is curbing some support. But thats how it goes...

I'm in.

Darklord
01-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Re: the response and lack of support.

From what I've picked up, I think the cause and/or the location of the charity in England is curbing some support. But thats how it goes...

I'm in.

yeah I suppose that could be an issue though I kind of look at the event as a apinting contest that just happens to help charity.
Some one said they didnt care for the charity much elsewhere which seemed a strange reason not to enter to me but then I am biased!

I think the main hurdle for people is the selling the mini at the end of it.

Still it is what it is and the support from you guys has been fantastic - far more than I could have hoped for. We should hopefully raise the 1000 (we are provisionally at just over 500 not including auctions that are on going) but hopefully we can get past the 1000 mark.
All I know is I couldnt do this every year!!

nathanr
01-02-2010, 04:59 PM
To those people who aren't entering because the charity is in England, these places share their research. The work they do is globally beneficial and is shared within the medical research community worldwide. The same would be true if they were located in Canada, the United States or even Zambia.

I agree with Darklord, the main hurdle I see is the selling part. Many people just don't want to part with something they have put so much effort into. I know it will be hard for me to part with my entry but knowing that it is going toward a great cause will make it worth it. If you really want to keep your entry there is always the option of keeping it and donating what you would have made to the charity (or at least the cost of the mini), it is not really in the spirit of the competition but if it gets more people involved then I guess it's worth it.

NeatPete
01-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah I get it, Thats just some of the the vibe I picked up. Or just more excuses people make to not paint!

I'm not sure I heard about this whole "Keep your mini and donate the cost of the mini" thing... I was pretty sure that was not allowed for the contest entry.

Darklord
01-02-2010, 05:16 PM
its not though you could simply win the auction yourself

nathanr
01-02-2010, 05:34 PM
its not though you could simply win the auction yourself That makes more sense than what I said before, that way the charity isn't getting shorted what it could have made. Disregard my earlier comments.

@ NeatPete, I figured that you understand about the charity but some others here might not. On that note, if anyone does get that vibe elsewhere it would probably be a good idea to let them know that the research is shared.

Also, good to hear the deadline is extended. I've been dragging my feet with my entry, now I've got plenty more time to procrastinate! Just kidding, I'm planning on really starting this week, the extended deadline just means I'll have time to post WIP pictures here and incorporate everyone's suggestions as I go to get the best possible result.

In Chigh
01-02-2010, 05:46 PM
great news on the extension :)

Jabberwocky
01-02-2010, 06:07 PM
It does seem a bit strange to me that people wouldn't enter because of the charity--I'm looking at the boatload of prizes and wanting to enter something in every category to score myself more minis! As for the selling bit, I know it can be hard selling something you've put time and effort into, but as has been mentioned before, buy it back in the auction!

The extension hopefully should allow me to get in another entry or two. I've already picked up a RBG mini and am looking at what other manufacturer will pique my interest. I'll most likely get one of the "locals" like KD or Kabuki rather than Westwind or PP.

Lost Boy
01-02-2010, 06:30 PM
its not though you could simply win the auction yourself
Which is what I'll be doing if nobody bids on my thing...

I can see why people might not want to part with something they've spent ages on but then them's the rules and if they can't afford to donate big wads of cash then surely it's not too hard to donate some time and a little something from their metal pile. I'm acually surprised there's none of the top names on the scene (if there is then I'm sorry, I've just not seen them...) jumping in with pieces they'd painted to get the whole event more publicity. I can't see it being because they've not heard about it...so it must be because they can't be bothered...

Which is a shame...and just plain wrong, IMHO :(

Anyway, my piece is nearly done (hopefully by the end of the week...) so, all going well, I should be able to squeeze something else out before the new closing date... :). Not too sure about what category and stuff it goes in (PP for sure, but there's others) and how to advertise it, so I'll maybe have to ask for help when the time comes, if that's okay...?

Darklord
01-02-2010, 06:32 PM
-I'm looking at the boatload of prizes and wanting to enter something in every category to score myself more minis!

exactly the thinking i was aiming for!

the golden bolter has just finished 180 entries in 3 categories though i think there membership is lightly higher than our by about 45,568!! so nearly 50 entries so far is pretty good in comparison!!

alextheartist
01-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Ive just donated the money off me and Sias' auctions, just need to work out how much his shipping cost then donate the surplus shipping money.

Jabberwocky
01-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm acually surprised there's none of the top names on the scene (if there is then I'm sorry, I've just not seen them...) jumping in with pieces they'd painted to get the whole event more publicity.

Jarhead and Ian Newbold/AlexiZ pitched in early on. Demonherald has been doing some behind the scenes work with the chess set. Hopefully, a few more will put something up in the upcoming weeks!

Moth
01-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Ive just donated the money off me and Sias' auctions, just need to work out how much his shipping cost then donate the surplus shipping money.

Dont worry about it mate, I will cover the shipping.

Vern
01-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Rocking good news about the extension :D

Rafficker
02-02-2010, 01:37 AM
I tried to drum up some interest for this on my regular 40k forum as well as locally, and was surprised at the lack of interest too.

To me this seemed like a perfect competition. Almost all the gamers i know have dozens of unpainted minis lying around, and for once you're using your time rather than your bank balance to help out a charity.

Plus the prize list is phenomenal for any kind of competition.

Hopefully the extension will draw a few more people in, and probably tempt me to paint something else as well....

ScottRadom
02-02-2010, 02:47 AM
Well for me it's like this....

I am well and truly in support of the forum, and I do my country best to help out here. For me I really enjoy our contests and have a lot of fun with the environment WAMP provides as well as the gentle competition that allows for me to improve with goals in mind.

This event is surely the single largest stash of painting loot ever made available to win in a single event online. I'm pretty confident in that. I would think some of the prizes would be a big draw for painters at or a little above my painting level.

From a PURELY mercenary point of view, there are so many top painters out there whose single mini's could be entered into this event and probably clean up, but perhaps their work fetches more on eBay or something. Maybe that could be part of it?

Maybe for some the lure of a painting contest in ANY guise is still a little too intimidating? I know a couple members from my local gaming community who signed up here kind of dissapeared for a couple reasons, but I think chief among them was that they felt a little intimidated by speaking with people who had a higher skill level and knowledge base than themselves. No matter how friendly the environment not everyone may feel comfortable asking "Thanks for the tip, what does "Glaze" Mean?"". So maybe we're missing on some of those sort of potential entrants? I don't think this board could in ANY way be made to feel more member friendly, but it's like anything some people might not be too comfortable. Maybe?

But I don't think we, or especially Brett/Darklord need look at this as ANYTHING other than an unmitigated success. With two weeks yet to the original deadline I would wager we have seen way less than half the original amount of planned entries. I know I was sitting on a couple just 'cause I needed to tweek one and take better pics of others. For such a typical procrastinating crowd like mini painters two weeks probably feels like a lifetime.

With the new deadline extension I have every confidence that more and more entries will pop up. I know I will be adding more personally and I will put put the call. I think though that more importantly than digging up entries I am going to be a little bit assertive in digging up interest in the actual BIDDING of the entries. I am going to be socking some away for that myself!

Speaking of... I assume it'd be okay to put unpainted stuff into the mix? It might do to make that an option as well. I know I'd be more interested in adding a second peak to Mount Lead than buying painted stuff (No matter HOW nice it is). Also I got a real kick out of the first auction I took part in when I got to bid on a painted mini of my choice. That was super cool, and I think I'd like to do that, just to see what it went for. I'm prepared to have my ego cross-checked!

So that's my little soap box speech. It just sounded to me like we were starting to look at this event in a light that I don't think was appropriate. This event IS working, and it is ALREADY a success.

Well done Brett, and ALL participants. Be you a painter, or a bidder.

NeatPete
02-02-2010, 03:05 AM
What's a glaze?

exilesjjb
02-02-2010, 03:11 AM
forget glaze what is this painting you talk of

ScottRadom
It's when me and your Moms spend some quality time together. I didn't send you the YouTube link?

NeatPete
lol!
yeah I laugh at my own jokes. cuz they're awesome/ like me. You speak the truth Scott.

"This contest makes me proud to be WAMP'er! and I can't wait to save lil babies lives while raking in mad loot all because I'm a mini painting superhero." -NeatPete Feb 2010

-you can quote me on that. (I even put it in quotes so you know its good)

NeatPete
02-02-2010, 03:13 AM
3 people on wamp this late? must be a rift in the non suckage

ScottRadom
02-02-2010, 03:13 AM
You need to add a date to your quote, along with your full name.

"Quotations taken out of their proper context in time, and without reference to the originator are as useless as a Klingon Bird of Prey without a cloaking device and a cargo hold full of humpback whales."

-Scott Andrew Radom, Feb 1st 2010

NeatPete
02-02-2010, 03:19 AM
you leak knowledge like spent beer wise one! *edited and remembered!

exilesjjb
02-02-2010, 04:07 AM
I work nights so this is not late/early for me but good to see the boards are alive

Darklord
02-02-2010, 08:33 AM
@Rafficker - thanks for the publicity push mate - it all helps.

@Scott, yes the contest is a sucess and im pretty certain we will pass the target set, its brought a few new people to wamp too (welcome welcome people).
For me personally this thing has been running since september last year and its become an obsession (so much so I compare the comp threads about it on other forums to see how many views it gets!!).
you are correct in there being 2 weeks left to go.
The deadline extension was decided upon a little while back but i held off until now for the simple fact if i had done it 4 weeks ago a lot of people wouldnt have started stuff by then so would simply have delayed beginning whereas hopefully by now they have already started, so the extra 6 weeks may give them time to enter an extra mini.
Even if no one else but us here entered it would just mean more prizes for us!!

This should continue to pick up, I have at least 2 lots of entries to collect at the weekend from people .
main thing is to try and keep pimping the contest, put the link in all your forum sigs, even as your website on your forum profiles, pu threads up on other forums you visit, post wip threads on other forums and mention what its for, use your facebook and send the link to all your friends and ask them to do the same, put a flyer up at your games club or lgs, twitter etc.
I know people have already done this stuff and it really helps.
Ask not what your wamp can do for you but what you can do for your wamp. we shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them on the shores, we shall never surrender, today is our finest hour, hands that do dishes are as soft as can be with mild green fairy liquid

Captain Sprout
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the extension! I shall finish something for this though it shall kill me (well hopefully not, but some of this resin is sharp stuff).

Darklord
02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
dont kill yourself over it capn! I know what you mean about sharp bits on minis that petulant engine ripped my body to shreds!

ScottRadom
02-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I was actually hoping for an extension, but didn't want to be a dick about asking.

Westwind, does that include incursion? If I have someone who wants to commission me for something and I donate it to Tommies (It's more than it would go for at auction for SURE) does that count? I got a dude who wants one of the A.P.E. models but hates eBay, and offered me a decent amount for the one I listed. Thing is that model has a bid on it and I am not going to break the auction. Would that be fine with everyone? Even though I swore I wouldn't do amy more commission stuff this should be okay.

Darklord
02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
westwind includes incursion yes - anything they sell.
not sure what your asking about an auction though?
are you wanting to enter it but not auction it?

ScottRadom
02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes, I would want to enter and not auction. It would be a commission piece and I would donate the money. It's more than it would auction for anyway. Guy offered 60 bucks for the mini and I would be suprised if it auctions for more than 30. If he's okay with it I might offer him a new one, enter it here, and donate the cash. If that's legal. Dude won't use eBay, and I actually feel his pain on the story he told me.

Darklord
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
hmm - let me think about it.

ScottRadom
02-02-2010, 04:47 PM
No prob. I haven't even proposed it to the guy at all yet. If you're worried about setting a precadent or anything for the auction then go ahead and file it in NO-sville. Actually, might be safer that way JUST in case it raises some funny questions from some funny people.

Darklord
02-02-2010, 04:50 PM
im sure we can clear a path for you somehow - just how is the question

Darklord
02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Just to let you know there has been a slight change in the prize list. The raging Heroes prizes have been re-allocated. The 54mm commend set is now part of the best fantasy category and the 28mm set is now part of the 'most money raised' prize

Darklord
02-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Scott, as much as it would be great to get more money I think the precedent would or could cause problems further down the line so the answer would have to be no Im afraid.
There is however a way around this I think.
If you put the one that you currently have on auction as an entry for little angels then donate that money to the cause as usual. You could then do the comission piece for the guy and donate the difference from that too. that way you are donating what you would get for the comission just in a different way - you still get to enter a piece and its within the current rules

ScottRadom
02-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I can't enter the one on auction now, as it's alreayd been in (and got 2nd I think) for a contest on here. I'll paint another, and I'll point the guy to it and tell him he'll have to suck it up.

I agree it could cause problems. Better not to open the door, even to dolphins. 'Cause they could be Sharks!

Darklord
02-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I can't enter the one on auction now, as it's alreayd been in (and got 2nd I think) for a contest on here.

does anyone read my posts?

It doesn't matter if its been in other contests - enter your slayer sword winning entry if you like!!

ScottRadom
02-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Uhmmm.... no. I guess I don't read any of your posts. This is the first time. TY!

Darklord
02-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Uhmmm.... no. I guess I don't read any of your posts. This is the first time. TY!

phew at leats then you wont have seen the one about your wife then!

Cregan Tur
09-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I printed out a bunch of the LA posters and I'm taking them over to the local game shop tonight, along with some of my work in the hopes of meeting people and getting some interest in commissions. Hopefully people will check out the auctions and decide to participate in this great contest!

alextheartist
09-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Bret managed to pimp a crap load at the PB meet :P

alextheartist
09-02-2010, 10:07 PM
RBG entry is cleaned up and based ready for priming :)

Darklord
10-02-2010, 08:24 AM
thanks Cregan much appreciated.
alex - I think you could place in the rbg category

alextheartist
10-02-2010, 09:25 AM
I might be in with a chance at the moment :P

Darklord
10-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I might be in with a chance at the moment :P

youd hope so!!

alextheartist
10-02-2010, 09:40 PM
She's nearlly finished. Need to pm trey, the mini is fantastically sculpted..

Nameless
10-02-2010, 10:21 PM
finished my second entry, but my first one is still not sold ;)
btw, what happens if an entry doesn't find a buyer? :)

Darklord
10-02-2010, 10:30 PM
finished my second entry, but my first one is still not sold ;)
btw, what happens if an entry doesn't find a buyer? :)

I was going to auction everything together - it should get more bids then.
I can auction it now though if you prefer?

Nameless
10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
oh, ok then. do whatever you feel is right, I don't have experience in auctions :)

muhani
11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Just placed my auction on ebay and uploaded the image to the belonged category. Is this okay that way.
Congratulations to the contest! It feels good, doing something. :D

Regards
muhani

... you must have 1 posts before you can post URL's - aaaah, ok

muhani
11-02-2010, 11:27 PM
... here the auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170445181319).

Vern
12-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Really nice piece muhani, very bloody - & welcome to the Wamp

Jabberwocky
12-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Wow. Great way to introduce yourself!! Welcome aboard!

Darklord
12-02-2010, 08:23 AM
hey muhani - welcome to wamp , thats a lovely piece mate. your contribution is much appreciated.
Alex - you got RBG competition now mate

alextheartist
21-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Put up my RBG entry :)