PDA

View Full Version : Phattys Sapo

phatkid1966
23-02-2014, 02:07 AM
Sapo progress pics. Not sure if I will include the steampunk rifle I built from the bits box yet but I do like it. The cigar will definitely stay though I think it suits him. 364413644336442

ScottRadom
23-02-2014, 02:35 AM
I like the rifle but don't think the bust needs it. I like that the cigar brings in another dimension to the mini, making him possibly look more business like and used car salesman like. I don't think the rifle (though it is really cool) adds much more. My thoughts anyway.

phatkid1966
23-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. I made it when still toying for ideas but to add it would be overkill.

Shades
23-02-2014, 03:25 AM
Concur with Scott. Love the cigar!

Normski
23-02-2014, 12:09 PM
nice to see ya back at it Phatty mate!! i think the cigar is also enough!! your little bit of genius there is well cool!!

now push on mate and lets see you finish it :cool:

Endor
23-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Great start Phatty, and loving that sigar :D

phatkid1966
04-03-2014, 10:50 PM
I haven't updated Sapo for a while so here is progress. I have done the eyes, they need a little smoothing out and a coat of vanish but I am fairly happy with them. I painted a church landscape and sky into them since they are big enough and I'm not unhappy with how they turned out.

Also did the shoulder pad. My original idea was to paint a star. Then I saw how fantastic John did his and very quickly decided that was a horrible idea for me lol

phatkid1966
04-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Only mobile phone pics, hopefully my camera ones will be better at the end but no guarantee of that as you know :/

Normski
05-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Nice work Terry mate!! can I just nit pick the eye ball!! I think the light spots need to be touching the which of the eye rather than just white spots in the black!! IMO :rolleyes:

phatkid1966
05-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Nit pick away with my blessing. I actually copied the eyes from a mixture of two source photographs of frog eyes, one picture for the eye colour and the other for the design and light placement etc so I'm very interested as to what the 'which' of the eye is.

The eyes that I copied have one intense light placement which is the moon and some less intense light, it may be that I have no got the intensity of the less obvious light spots right :(

megazord_man
08-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Morning Terry, I really like how you're getting on with this, the various greens are nice and interesting. Regarding the eye, my feeling is that they're slightly at the wrong angle and lacking life. The angle isn't such a problem but the life is. Try to get the black really black ( hard with some paints) and then gloss them to add moisture. The position if the white spot isn't that important but make sure it's white without the base showing through otherwise it spoils the effect.

Just the black and gloss should have a big effect!

phatkid1966
08-03-2014, 12:42 PM
thanks John. The effect I was going for was to show the reflection of a Victorian church where the main point of light would also represent the moon, the blue was intended as part of the night sky - clearly I haven't pulled that off because no one else noticed my intentions haha. I think I will follow your advice and adding the gloss should make a big difference. I actually really enjoy painting eyes on this scale because you have to think much more about how they actually look as opposed to creating a perception on a 32mm.

Thanks for the advice both, I will get on it when I get home from work later.

phatkid1966
08-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Just a quick update, after playing around with scale 75 and vallejo blacks there wasn't enough difference so I dug out an old chaos black from GW and hopefully it hits the ticket. I think it's made a nice difference and I haven't even added gloss yet! I will update with pics in a few days when I have added some more work to it. Cheers for the advice ;)

Normski
08-03-2014, 11:32 PM
I think Johns suggestion hits on what I may have been missing when looking at the eye! will be cool to see the update :cool:

phatkid1966
13-03-2014, 11:39 AM
As promised an update on the eyes, I removed the whites in favour of improved accuracy on the eye shape and placement. I made the black areas much blacker using successive thinned layers of GW chaos black and also began working on the leather areas.

phatkid1966
13-03-2014, 11:41 AM
other side :)

marta
14-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Great pattern on the top of his head. Can't wait to see how you're gonna progress here.

cheers
'eM

Iacton
14-03-2014, 01:36 PM
So many froggies! :goodjob:

Darklord
14-03-2014, 02:47 PM
looking great mate. i might be tempted to push some more detail onto the eye, possibly in the pupil if not the Iris.

Normski
17-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Phatty mate Your Sapo has a very real look to it!! really good stuff man!!

phatkid1966
17-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Cheers for the lovely and helpful comments all, they do motivate you to push further and all I must say this comp has been a ton of fun :)

phatkid1966
25-03-2014, 03:04 AM
I think this is complete. Really fun to paint. I will set up the camera tomorrow and then I can move on to the next bust. Here are a few mobile pictures.

Shades
25-03-2014, 04:03 AM
The cigar is so fitting, LOL. Love it. The choice for pupil shape complements it, too. Gives him that wily look. A toad with a story to tell and a deal to make (in his favor).

phatkid1966
25-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks Shades, I think the shape of his mouth lends itself to the idea. Glad I had fun with this and pleased personally with the result. Also seeing many of the other entries looking fabulous and sharing thier process it's been a really enjoyable learning experience.

phatkid1966
29-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Pictures done - not great but improving lol

Endor
30-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Wow Phatty, you should be proud! That freehand on the shoulderpad is awesome stuff, well done! He really got character with that cigar as well, simple and extremely effective. I dig it :)

phatkid1966
30-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Cheers Endor, I am pleased but a perfect competition for fun and learning. I am pleased with the freehand, a simple design that was on a large enough surface for me to attempt but the process nonetheless and it will give me confidence to try again in future. How's your Capt coming along?

Endor
31-03-2014, 03:36 AM
Been a bit busy at work lately, so hard to get in any painting time. And now we're on Bali for the spring break, poor me ;) I brought Sapo and some paints in case I get some time to myself an evening or two, but so far the family has got priority ;)

Normski
31-03-2014, 11:48 PM
good work Terry mate you have done a grand Job!!

phatkid1966
01-04-2014, 05:59 PM
@ Normski - why thank you sir that's sorted (a grand you say? Yours for a grand then ;)

Normski
03-04-2014, 10:38 PM
ya can have a grand day out with me thats about it lol

megazord_man
14-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Hey Terry,

This morning Jeremie and I got talking about stuff and I mentioned your Sapo. Here's his words -

He need a larger vision of the light composition on the miniature.
Not only take care about the details, but more on the global

To make sure I understood I clarified his words with -

Yep I understand, he needs to think about the big picture of light, dark and composition rather than the finer points.

In your second DVD it starts with the bigger picture*and gets more and more refined into the details. Hes not got that first step right yet.

So there you have it mate, feedback from JBT himself! You painted great details but the light dark composition needs more work. He is full of character none the less :)

phatkid1966
14-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks John and pass on my thanks also to Jbt. Do you think I should take the plunge and try wet blending? I did learn an awful lot from Rafa at the weekend but it's one thing having an idea of where you need more light/dark contrast but another thing altogether being brave enough to apply it. Also it's interesting that both Rafa and Jbt and you of course all point out that it's a foundation not something you build up to. I am trying to refine the details on a broken canvas.
I will take the advice to heart and hopefully come back with something improved.

megazord_man
14-05-2014, 11:29 PM
I think that we should split things into two - firstly to fully appreciate the feedback. To help in this I've put two versions together in grey scale so that we can ignore the colours and focus on the light dark contrast.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/Gazza13/sapocompared.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/Gazza13/media/sapocompared.jpg.html)

In this picture you can start to see what JBT was talking about: The one on the left is more uniform and doesn't have many areas of deep shadow or extreme highlight. Also the different areas of the bust blend into one as it has a uniform light intensity. Whereas the one on the right is more interesting as there's a greater range of light dark and in using this there's more definition between the different areas.

So as I say the first step is to have a clear understanding of what you want to achieve - darker shadows and lighter highlights. Then be brave and push each end more than you every thought - black to white even!

Then we move onto the main question - wet blending. Well wet blending is just a particular method of applying paint and as such if you don't place the colours in the right place the contrast will be lacking. The sames true of layering or airbrushing etc.... Where wet blending has an advantage over other methods is that it's very quick to create blends on your mini. It also sometimes gives unexpectedly interesting results since its quite an organic process as opposed to the layering method. With some practice its also fairly easy as well.

Many of those painter you mention want the speed that wet blending gives them (as by and large they're commission painters) and the ease of application - at least in the temperatures we have. Is worth noting that in Madrid Rafa often layers rather than wet blending as the temperature is a great deal higher (the paint drys too quickly for wet blending).

Having said all of that, my recommendation is that you should try it out to see how you like it :)

phatkid1966
15-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks John. Loads to take on board. I took a few camera photos of my old minis and gave them the B&W treatment and lo and behold, lack of dark/light contrast seems to be a recurrent theme. I thought I had progressed towards getting better contrast but given the test nothing passed! This means that no matter how bad the next few minis may look I am gonna go balls for glory to try and improve. Hey thanks so much for taking the time to post the extensive feedback and I'm pretty sure it would be useful for other dampers. At the very least it might be good for everyone who reads this to test a mini. Now where do I start (I think a GW mini to minimise dissapointment if it goes badly wrong lol).