PDA

View Full Version : Vegascat vs S_Dalsgaard - Confrontation - WiP thread

vegascat
24-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Vegascat v S_Dalsgard WiP/smacktalking thread :D
End date is 14 February
One Confrontation model
Voting will be overall 1-10 range

Now I just need to figure out which one of my confrontation models I want to paint!

S_Dalsgaard
24-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Excellent :-)

I've picked the orc Kolghor (at least I think he's an orc) and I'm currently adding some base colours to the model. He has a lot of small pouches and rocks on him, so it is a bit of a task to pick them all out. I hope to get a WIP shot posted later tonight.

Looking forward to see which model you pick vegascat. Do you have a lot of Confrontation models and have you ever played the game?

vegascat
24-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Sadly, I couldnt afford to play the game when it was out. I only have about a dozen or so Confrontation minis. I started *years* ago by picking up some undead models, intending to use them for Warhammer Fantasy, but never did. I then have picked up a handful of other ones over the years that I've wanted to paint. I'm thinking about painting the Minotaur Maid. She's one of my more recent purchases. I do have a psychogoblin mutant that I started for another challenge that fell apart, but I want to strip it and start over, so I wont be painting that. I'll try and chose one tonight so that I'll have one set.

Did you ever play the game?

S_Dalsgaard
24-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Nope. I'm more of a painter than a gamer. The last I've played with minis was one or two games of W40k back when it was on its third edition, almost ten years ago.

Just checked Google. That minotaur maid is awesome!

Darklord
24-01-2014, 04:33 PM
love Confrontation minis, ooze character

S_Dalsgaard
24-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Yes, they are quite cool and very diverse.

Here's is the first WIP shot of Kolghor. I primed him with GW Imperial Primer yesterday and have added some basecoat colours today.

The skin was painted with a 1:2 mix of Beasty Brown and Dark Green (both Vallejo Game Colors), the shoulder plate with GW Warplock Bronze, the leather armour with VGC Beasty Brown, and the cloth with VGC Stonewall Grey.

The cloth has so far gotten four (very thinned) coats and the grey still doesn't cover properly. I am sorry to say that I still have the same problems with light greys and whites that I have always had :-/

By the way, I have an unrelated language question. I usually try to use English spelling (armour vs armor/colour vs color, etc), but sometimes I accidentally use the US spelling (I can never remember if it is grey or gray). I was wondering if that is annoying/confusing to someone with English as a first language or if you even notice such things?

vegascat
24-01-2014, 08:21 PM
That's a great beginning, your model already looks better than most of mine! :D Hopefully someone else here will give you some pointers regarding white and light greys. Regarding your English question, I don't even notice anymore as both spellings are acceptable in the US.

@DL - I agree, most of them have tons of character. Speaking of which, did you see the interview with the main guy from Rackham in Figure Painter Magazine? I thought it was pretty interesting. I'd love to see him open a small boutique store and release more models or, even better, make them to sell through an established online store, someplace like.....hmmm..... WAMP!

Shades
25-01-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm a huge fan of Confrontation figures. Alas, I started the hobby just as Rackham was beginning to decline, and I never played a game. I have everything, though: rulebooks, Cadwallon RPG, Ragnarok, Cry Havoc!, …everything except Hybrid, I think.

Anyway, I'm glad to see a challenge featuring Confrontation figs. More!

By the way, I read that article with Jean Bey. That answered a lot of my questions. And he hints at something new coming this quarter, I think it was. Giddy with excitement.

I look forward to watching your guy's challenge.

S_Dalsgaard
25-01-2014, 07:57 PM
I've gotten a little further with Kolghor.

I am extremely happy with the green skin, it is the best I have ever been able to paint orc skin. It is a bit lighter in real life so I might give it a yellow glaze, but I will wait until the rest of the mini is done.

After the basecoat of 1:2 Beasty Brown/Dark Green i shaded with a couple of washes of the mix plus GW Seraphim Sepia (wash) and a very small bit of black.

Then I started highlighting, first by reapplying the basecoat again and then by adding more and more Bonewhite (VGC) to the basecoat mix, ending with something like 1/2/6 Beasty Brown/Dark Green/Bonewhite.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to give the finished skin a coat of varnish so it would be easier to wipe off any mistakes when painting the other parts? Is that something some of you do?

Shades
25-01-2014, 11:35 PM
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to give the finished skin a coat of varnish so it would be easier to wipe off any mistakes when painting the other parts? Is that something some of you do?
I've heard that done for applying oil washes. The concept might be the same. It might not hurt to experiment, as long as you have confidence in your varnish (i.e. it won't "haze" or "frost" on you).

But, yeah, everything is looking like it's progressing along really nicely.

S_Dalsgaard
26-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks Shades. I guess I will try it out (when I get some varnish shipped).

S_Dalsgaard
28-01-2014, 12:08 PM
I've been working on Kolghor's bronze shoulder plate today and it turned out alright.. until I added some GW Nihilakh Oxide :-/

I should probably have tested it on another mini first.

The plate was given a basecoat of GW Warplock Bronze and washed with a mix of Warplock Bronze and black. Then the highlights were built up, first with a new layer of Warplock and then by adding increasing amounts of VGC Polished Gold. After a couple of coats, I used pure Polished Gold and then VGC Silver for the final edge highlight.

While the Oxide is a great technical paint, I think I have added a bit too much of it and haven't gotten it placed naturally. I hope I can tone it down a bit with a brown wash, but otherwise I might start over on the plate.

vegascat
28-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Looking good so far. I need to try to work more on shading/highlighting my metallics. If the technical paint is anything like the wash that I use, it looks really bright at first, but looks fine when it dries. I took the Minotaur Maid out of its blisterpack last night to take a good look at it. There's some flash that needs to be cleaned up, but there's almost no mold lines to speak of! I'm hoping to be able to clean and prime her this weekend.

S_Dalsgaard
29-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Then you are luckier than me. The mold lines on Kolghor were quite bad. It really isn't that different shading/highlighting metallics than other colours so have a go at it.

S_Dalsgaard
01-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Here's a little update on Kolghor.

I've painted the teeth and nails, as well as the leather armour pieces. I've also started on some of the other leather parts. My biggest problem is, that all the leather on this mini requires a lot of different colours and nuances, to keep them apart, but I hope that by varying the highlights and shades, I can make it look decent.

I originally wanted to paint the runes on the sling stones as if they were glowing, but after a few tries that didn't work well, I've decided that I'll probably just paint them with plain colours (blue and red probably).

S_Dalsgaard
09-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I've come a little further with Kolghor, although I haven't gotten as far as I had hoped to be at this point. Nevertheless I am sure I will get it finished on time. It is mostly detail work that is left.

I wonder what the chain looking thing he has on his skin below the left elbow is supposed to be? A tattoo? a scar? a pimple? Any ideas?

Jona
10-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Hmmm, that's a weird one indeed. I think I'd go scar, but it really doesn't look lik one. Doesn't look like much else either, though. Maybe best not pull too much attention to it...

On the model in general, I really like the skin. You got quite some texture in, with those strong strokes on the muscles. You're right considering the leathers though; some more variation would make it more interesting. What could work is make the inside of the cloak darker. It would be more of a backdrop when looking at the front, while now it sortof confuses the outlines of his vest, being the same colour. It also makes turning the model around more interesting, preventing the cloak from becoming one blob of light-brown
That said, picking out the details and adding shading to the cloak probably will go a long way already as well.
I'd also give the teeth and claws a very light glaze, to keep them from being pure white. They really draw the eye to the face, which is a good thing, so don't overdo it, but now they're slightly to clean for my liking.

Good work, on a very characterful model!

S_Dalsgaard
10-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks for your input Jona. Some people over at CMoN suggested it is some sort of branding, so I will probably try making it look like that. I forgot to mention in my last post, that I intended to make the shirt look dirty white and that the brown it had was just a basecoat. Good point on toning down the teeth though.

I have now glued together the model and put him on his base, as I am more or less done with the area I couldn't reach if already assembled.

I am going to add some snow to the base as a last step as I thought it would fit well with Kolghor's outfit, but before I get to that, there are still a lot of stuff to finish :-/

phatkid1966
10-02-2014, 12:55 PM
This is looking very nice, a snow on sand base might look nice given the colour scheme. You have also got me wondering about the little symbol now, to well defined to be accidental. Are you going to leave it or paint it as a brand/scar?

S_Dalsgaard
10-02-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm going with branding, just haven't figured out how to paint it. Properly some purple and brown.

vegascat
11-02-2014, 03:58 AM
I got back from TempleCon late yesterday and caught up on housework today. I'm just catching up on some posts tonight before heading off to bed. I'm going to get started tomorrow evening. I'm going to be cutting it close to get her finished by the 14th! :06:

S_Dalsgaard
11-02-2014, 06:53 AM
I have no problem with pushing the end date a few days if you want a bit more time vegascat?

vegascat
14-02-2014, 02:41 AM
I'm going to post a few WiP pics tonight, but I am going to need a few more days to finish. The only upside to all the snow is that I actually had some time to paint today. Yesterday I did some prep (there were some sneaky mold lines) and assembly yesterday. I primed before shoveling snow today. I should be finished by Monday, if that's okay with you. Thanks!

vegascat
14-02-2014, 04:27 AM
Here's my WiP pics. As usual my pics more or less suck. In an effort to push my highlights, I tried to push them up and then made a wash out of the base coat to help blend the highlights back into the basecoat. And, of course, I put too many coats of the wash on and washed the hightlights almost all the way out. Well, you'll see what I mean in the pics:

S_Dalsgaard
14-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Looks good to me Vegas :-)

Extending the deadline to Monday is fine with me.

vegascat
16-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Thanks! Thought I'd take a break from painting and post an updated WiP - leather areas, blue padded armor, weapons, and blueblack cloth areas are almost done. Working on the fur/skin areas now. I still need to paint the horns, braided belt thing, pouch and hooves. I'm sure DL or someone will roll in here soon and smack me around for not pushing the highlights enough. :)

S_Dalsgaard
17-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Kolghor is finally finished. There are several more steps I could take to make him look better, but I've run out of time and other projects have stolen my focus a bit during the last week. Anyway, I'm happy with the end result and it is a pretty accurate representation of my current skill level with a brush.

Shades
17-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Nice work. Good job distinguishing all of the different elements. I like the lines and colors of the shoulder pad, and I like the skin tones. I wouldn't have thought to use red for the lettering on the slingstones. Good idea.

S_Dalsgaard
17-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks. I tried the outlining with blue, to keep it cold, but I couldn't find a good nuance, that didn't blend too much into the grey stones.

Endor
17-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Nice work there Dalsgaard! Like your brown tones and desaturated scheme. Suits him very well. And Vegas, I'm sure that cow will be pumping it in no time :D

S_Dalsgaard
17-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks Endor :-)

vegascat
18-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Yours turned out really nice! I like it much better than the way mine turned out.

Here's mine below. I too ran out of time and I need to clean up the base and clean up the highlighting and shading, not to mention the pink on the front banner and back pouch. I'm happy with the way her fur turned, though I'm not sure how well its going to show up in my pics.

Jona
18-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Those are both really cool models. Yours looks exceptionally smooth, Dalsgaard, and I really like the colours you used.
It's a little hard to tell in your picture howmuch of the highlights are painted, and howmuch is shine, so I'll wait for the final pictures, but it looks good, Vegascat. Especially the leather gloves. :smile:

S_Dalsgaard
18-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Thanks Jona.

Looks great Vegas. Will you set up a voting thread?

vegascat
18-02-2014, 04:27 PM
It's a little hard to tell in your picture howmuch of the highlights are painted, and howmuch is shine

Thanks, both of you! Its a bit of both. I was rushing myself and forgot to hit the model wit a matt sealer to knock of any shine. Although I honestly have no idea why it looks so damn bright in the pictures. :(

@S_Dalsgaard (http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/member.php?u=1933) - I'll have to have one of the mods do it first if possible. If I don't hear anything back today, I'll set it up tonight.

Shades
18-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Good work, guys! VC, I like the look of the horns and the cleaver.