PDA

View Full Version : NightyKnight V.S. Corporia Duel of Dragons-Voting

NightyKnight
12-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Hello everyone. Corporia and I have just posted our finishing dragons. I will ask Corporia to post hers. Mine will be seen below. We will have open voting the rules are below
With this option, each entry is voted upon using a scoring system of x/10 for Theme and x/10 for Overall. Each voter can give a maximum of 20 points total. The points from all voters will be totaled and the person with the most points wins.
You may not score your own entry, but you may score your opponentís if you so choose. That scoring, however, will not be calculated in the final total. Itís simply a way to let your opponent know what you think of their entry.
So without a further ado I present Old Scar Eye Scourge of Taltos.

He also has his story posted on our other thread.

Thanks NK

Corporea
12-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Here's my Ebonwrath! Thanks, everyone in advance for any feedback!
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/Corporea/ebonwrath/38b595a3-8c43-4114-88a1-c5de322d2520_zps2bb04318.jpghttp://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/Corporea/ebonwrath/0615c796-72f9-4b70-a56b-4e8cb3787e38_zpsdf2143f3.jpghttp://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/Corporea/ebonwrath/28377623-5df0-4af0-b7aa-54d71f4c830b_zps3023d4fd.jpghttp://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/Corporea/ebonwrath/43d9c1f4-71ca-4f9a-99a4-5d46db950b4c_zps3ffba348.jpg

NeatPete
12-11-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm not sure how much of a theme we have here, as they are both dragons and well there's no winner there. I'll give you both 10s for that.

Old Scar Eye Scourge of Taltos: I like the purple and green color. The wings are a nice contrast with the scales. I find when presenting pictures for judging, you need to try and capture and show all the hard work you've put into it. This can be difficult on such large minis like this. For a dragon the texture is scales and that would great detail for me to see. Take the time while photgraphing and get some detail shots (of the best spots ;) so you can show it off. From these pics it looks like a nice TT dragon 7/10

Ebonwrath: I much prefer these wings to the other wing pattern you were toying with. Nice transition with the teal color. I would ask for more detailed pics but your pics are clearer and show off the scales pretty well in some of these shots. I love the base. My only critque on the base is the black edges of the rocks as they come up from the front and back. I would like it better if the rocks "came out" of the base and hung over the lip and were painted grey like they are on the base. You did the tree like this so I think it would look great with 360 degree rocks. Plus the black edges with a wood base just doesn't fit in. That being said, you completed a nice dragon here and the base "rocks". (Sorry, couldn't help it) 8/10

TaleSpinner
13-11-2013, 04:04 AM
I asked NK to post bigger pictures. They should be at least close to the actual size of the mini.

TaleSpinner
14-11-2013, 07:01 PM
I've decided to opt out of the voting, citing conflict of interest, given that NK is my son. I'll leave my thoughts on the two minis after voting is complete.

Good luck.

Andy

NeatPete
14-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the bigger pics, Looks good! I'll leave my score as is but lets get some more votes in here!

Corporea
14-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Oh, NightyKnight, I like those new pictures! You can really see the shading on the wings! Lovely! I really like your color choices. Great job with the highlighting on the scales- I can see where your "light source" is coming from. Excellent! We always hear contrast as an important thing to work on. Here I'd say the belly scales and the bony pieces could benefit from just a bit of contrast. The creamy color is lovely, but maybe a few more shadows with a darker brown- like a chestnut, yellow ocher or even a ruddy brown. I like the idea of a redder brown to contrast with your green scales- it would give a complement without being too christmasy. Another thing I always struggle with is transitions- making all of the blending smooth with your body highlights. You've got a sharper transition between the light green and dark green of the scales. Sometimes a nice thin glaze of a midtone can soften your transition and make it even smoother. If you lose the highlight, you can always go back later and add it back again. Overall, a great job- nice smooth application of paint, great highlighting, great color choices, awesome shading on the wings! You should be proud of him!

Demonn
16-11-2013, 12:03 AM
my scoring coming tomorrow :smile:

Demonn
17-11-2013, 09:51 AM
first of all, I'd like to say: Now that's a challenge!

great job guys - impressive work there. and as Pete said, I'll give you both 10 for theme (as they are both clearly dragons)

so overall scores:
NightyKnight - choice of colours used is a good one and I really like the way you painted the wings. This is not a small mini so the areas to be covered are big - and you've done that great. Like it how your dragon interacts with the base and even the background of the photo.
there are some minor mistakes but overall a great looking mini. 7/10

Corporea - interesting choice of colours, not sure I'd have used them but nevertheless I like what you've done! the transitions on large surfaces are done great, and I especially love how you played with the light and shadow on the wings of the beast. Only thing I'd change is I'd add a one more photo that shows the pond in more detail. 9/10

so the final score:
NightyKnight 17 - 19 Corporea

​WELL DONE BOTH!

Corporea
21-11-2013, 03:18 AM
Awesome challenge! NightyKnight, do you want to give folks more time to respond? Thanks everyone for all your help! I'll have to fiddle with those rocks, now! :smile:

NightyKnight
30-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Well sorry for not coming earlier. I had a lot to do recently. But it seems coporia is the winner.:surrender:.
I would like to say thanks to all who voted and thanks to Corporia. Who honestly is an amazing painter. I see it as a honor to lose to you. (We need a happy surrender monkey.):smile:

NK

Corporea
30-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Awww! You're awesome, NightyKnight! This was a great idea. Now we at least each have a dragon done for the Reaper Dragon Challenge! :smile: Thanks to everyone who voted, and everyone who offered help and advice!!

ps- I saw the icon's tears and felt terrible. We do need a happier icon. Otherwise you'll arouse my maternal instincts!
:grouphug:

phatkid1966
01-12-2013, 04:42 AM
Late to the party as usual so to keep it brief.

Corporea.

-I really like the colours you settled with in the end. The teal is really unusual but works well especially in the swamp setting for some reason. The base is fantastic and I can see the work you have put in Well worth it - score 9

NightyKnight

- I love that you have painted your dragon in a more traditional style and I perceive it to be a classic D&D style. Another lovely PJ but I feel compelled to award Corporea that little bit more for the basework. - score 8.5

Corporea
01-01-2014, 01:22 AM
I got so busy with the holidays- should we close this one out? I had an awesome time painting! Thanks!!

NightyKnight
03-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Yep we should close this one an thank you Corporia again for doing this I love your dragon
NK