PDA

View Full Version : pae vs nameless - GW/FW - voting

Nameless
04-11-2013, 10:53 AM
This is the voting thread for the ladder challenge between pae and nameless to the theme of "GW/FW"

Please give a single mark out of ten covering all aspects of the mini (no real theme ingredient this time :) ). As always comments and critique are really appreciated, it helps us to know why you vote the way you do. We'll wrap it up in a week's time.

pae - elf ranger (GW)

http://www.fingolfin.net/gallery/full/WoodElfHighborn.jpg

nameless - nurgle sorcerer (FW)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/Nameless_philm/11_new_pics/nurgle_sorcerer.jpg~original

NightyKnight
04-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Pae I feel gets a 9 I like the design on the back of his cloak. Color choices are good. I like the look of the metal, and the diorama is well put together.
Nameless I must give a 6. I do like your use of colors. I also like the flag. I do think however that Pae's was cleaner

phatkid1966
05-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Pae - 9/10 A traditional choice of colours for the wood elf. As mentioned your painting style is very clean. You kept the base simple and as I have this miniature I can appreciate how well you have created depth and distinction between the armour and the cloak. The hair looks fantastic and realistic. The NMM very smooth and well executed. To be deliberately critical. The green of the foliage is not close enough to match the green of his cloak making me feel the miniature was placed there rather than it having an actual relationship to the base (its a tree and a wood elf I know this):tongue: An amazing PJ and of the masterful standard that marks your work as a pure joy to see.

Nameless - 7.5 I know you felt you had lost this before you started but full marks for making a fight of it. I love the grimy feel to this. The colour choice is good The base is perfect. The blending could be tighter (I hear me saying this to myself every PJ) and I would have liked a motif or sign on the flag (that's me being greedy)!

A nice contest with two fantastic PJ's so well done and thanks both :grin

Normski
05-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Ok so!!

Im gonna start with Nameless!

I cant paint Nurgle!! at all!! I just cant get the dirty grimey puss ridden technique down what so ever! so I avoid it like the plague (pun Intended lol) I think you have got it down nicely! and its almost Jarvis Johnson Style, Its Dirty, Its Filthy and its Nurgle to a T. as mentione some of the blending could be smoother but thats not importnat with this mini, Ive seen them painted cleanly and faultless but thats not Nurgle! when was the last time you saw a neat zit spewing puss? lol never!! I like it mate its got Ive just stepped out of a bog of puss written all over it lol nice work!

now to Pae

Wood Elves were my first GW army so have always had a soft spot for them, this model is a good one, shame its finecrap, your painting for me is quality work and this is how a Wood Elf should look! nice neat crisp but not clean! Wood Elves live in the woods(if ya didnt already Know LOL) so need to blend in with surroundings! I would say High Elves would be of exemplary neatness like this one is even though its a Wood Elf Lord and he would look better than ya average Glade Guard! however that aside I do indeed love this PJ! your stuff always catches my eye! good work mate

on reflection we have a Sci-Fi Mini and a Fantasy mini 2 completely different Genre, I think if Nameless had gone up against another Nurgle mini he would have taken it and the same for Pae against another Wood Elf he would hve taken it! but against each other hmmmm??? hard to say this is!!

Scores
Nameless 8.5

Pae 9

pae
05-11-2013, 11:51 PM
For the record, the design on the back of the cloak is sculpted. :-) Also, this particular cast is metal. It was on my desk for a few years before I finally got paint on it.

Normski
06-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Ah you got the metal one! good stuff mate!! and the design rocks!! nice work mate!!

Demonn
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Just to let you guys know I plan on rating you but I'm currently on my mobile and I refuse to judge on such a small screen. So i promise to do so tomorrow at the latest :smile:

Demonn
06-11-2013, 04:49 PM
ok, managed to get some alone time at home so gonna do this now...

Pae:
such a great mini/diorama. lovely concept, even the fact that it's an elf standing on a branch wielding a sword doesn't make him look a bit daft LOL
Paintjob is perfect
and just love the look of water there!
photo is also great
(only minus I guess is the two distinct lines where the GW (I'm guessing) base meets the plinth in the back. I'm OCD...)

Nameless:
first off I think your photographing skills let you down a bit, because Pae's photo is sooo much better.
as Normski said, the style you chose definitely fits the theme of the mini, and I would agree some freehand on the banner would have been cool.
(my OCD kicking in: is that a pin showing on the second picture coming from the stone to the base? I'll pretend it's not there :smile: )

OK, overall results:
Pae 8,5 (just because of the line on the bases - normally it wouldn't bother me so much, it's just your job is so good that it sticks out)

Nameless 7

in the end: ​Well done boys!

Endor
10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Great pieces both!

Pae:
Great base, nice and clean brushwork, pleasing colour choices even if traditional ;) and very well executed nmm gold. For this level of work, I think I'd expect a better transition between the base and the plinth, and maybe something to break up the water.

Score 8,5

Nameless:
As mentioned you suffer greatly from blurry pics, they are as bad as some of mine ;) So it is a bit difficult to fairly judge the quality. I like the John Blanche-like style to the brushwork though, this works well on chaos minis, particularly nurgle stuff. I'd recommend pushing the highlights and shadows of the weapon/ blade and in key focal points, some areas are a bit flat. This could be the photo quality though, hard to tell.

Score 6,5

Well done guys!

Nameless
11-11-2013, 12:33 PM
voting is over! a worthy winner and still champion of the world is pae after beating nameless like gazillion to 3 :)
(or 44:35.5 to be more accurate)

congrats pae, always a pleasure to see your mini!

now, let me try to submit the result formally...

EDIT: which may be a bit difficult cause our challenge is not there... help?

Undave
12-11-2013, 01:46 AM
Done it for you :rolleyes:

Nameless
12-11-2013, 08:20 AM
thanks a lot and sorry for the trouble!

Undave
12-11-2013, 09:56 AM
No probs, that's what I'm here for.