PDA

View Full Version : Blackwolf Vs. Undave - The guy in charge - Voting

Undave
10-09-2013, 12:50 AM
This is the voting thread for the ladder challenge between Blackwolf and Undave to the theme of "The guy in charge."

Please give a single mark out of ten covering all aspects of the mini including both painting and adherence to the theme. As always comments and critique are really appreciated, it helps us to know why you vote the way you do. We'll wrap it up in a week's time.

Undave - Scouts! Scouts, alert!
Robert Baden-Powell, the first Chief Scout and founder of the Scouting Movement.

Blackwolf, if you would please add your entry in the next post. Good luck to you sir!

Normski
10-09-2013, 02:44 AM
a little bit ok history there Undave nice work!!

Blackwolf
10-09-2013, 08:38 AM
The Girl in Charge

She is mean't to like like she is inciting her troops or something...

Cracking work Undave!

Normski
11-09-2013, 10:20 AM
nice work Wolfy and ya do know she is shoutingn "I have the poweeeeeeer" dont ya lol

Blackwolf
11-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Lol. cheers mate:smile:

Undave
11-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Looks like it's going to be a no score draw at this rate :tongue:

Demonn
11-09-2013, 09:34 PM
seen this thread in the morning while on the phone. didn't want to rate anyone on that crappy machine.

will do so now... give me a sec :)

Demonn
11-09-2013, 09:46 PM
ok here I go...

Undave:
Theme - spot on. even the kids aren't happy and look real gloomy clearly showing who's in charge. They will have fun even if they hate it! :biggrin:
Painting - really like it, highlights are in place, and I find the colours of their uniforms really convincing (not sure if that's the real colour that the boyscouts wear, but it looks as if it might be LOL) like the way you painted all the unhappy kids' faces...
Base - kept it simple, drawing the attention to the main actor.

I give it a 9/10 (simply because you don't have a female He-man!)

Blackwolf:
Theme - love the funny twist of the "guy" in charge especially when she soooo resembles (as Normski suggested) He-man.. only female...
Painting - I find the painting a bit below Undave's standard, especially taken into account the number of minis he did..
Base - well, I like it a lot. find it a bit cooler than Undave's and much more suited to the mini of choice.

that all said, I give Blackwolf 8,5/10

which means Undave wins it for me by half a pint..

Normski
12-09-2013, 02:14 PM
so after looking at both for a while Ive come to a decision!

Undave- Historically this is a nice piece, smooth paintwork and nicely based nice shaped wooden base too, fits the heritage nicely. so nice theme and execution.

BlackWolf- your theme is also a good one, a Female He-man, which was She-ra on tv lol but this mins takes the He-Man theme on quite well. as I see from the photo the skin tone looks a bit chalky, thats my only crit really, this too is based really well, Wolfy has the eye for basing for sure, the muted coloures on the mini work well for me it would have been easy t go all shiney but nothing stays shiney in battle hey! the red hair is a nice touch too, works really well.

so marks out of 10?

Undave= 8.5
Wolfy = 7.5

if Wolfy had a smooth skin tone it would have been a draw!!

Undave
16-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Are we about ready to close this one up? I'll leave it open for another couple of hours just in case anyone else wants to add their two penneth.

Undave
16-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Right time to land this thread and declare myself the winner.

All hail to me! I am the greatest! :hail::first:

Seriously though, I was convinced that was going to go the other way as soon as I saw BW's entry. I think it's less a case of the skin being chalky and more that the ISO is turned up a bit high and making it look speckly in the photo. The metal on the sword is spot on as well. I must remember never to enter a basing competition against him either...

Cheers for the scoring and comments guys. Mr. Big Bad Wolf, if you would like to confirm the score in the ladder section we can go and start up another challenge. Well played sir!

Blackwolf
17-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Congrats Dave! And lol as well my old SLR only goes to 200 iso.
your entry was spot on,well deserved:smile:

phatkid1966
17-09-2013, 03:26 PM
I missed this one sorry both. Glad I don't have to think about how I would have marked. Now I can just say cracking work on both accounts!! :goodjob:

Demonn
17-09-2013, 03:35 PM
wuss :P

(and to the two: congrats both again!)

Normski
18-09-2013, 02:47 AM
nice work both indeed!! hey Wolfy how about a basing tutorial??

TaleSpinner
19-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Late to the party again, but it ended the way I was going to vote. Great job, both of you. I think the painting was excellent on both entries, but Undave edged it out with theme.

I really need to check this site more frequently.