PDA

View Full Version : Normski Vs Phatkid The Bust Up!

phatkid1966
21-07-2013, 02:52 AM
This thread is dedicated to the challenge between Normski and I.

Theme: Bust (any)

Deadline: End of September but extentions negotiable.

Voting: Marks out of 10 for: Creativity, technical skill, Colour choices, Feel of the model and overall score. With loads of feedback :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvOzzGGcb7E

Demonn
21-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Deadline: End of September but extentions negotiable.

which year?

phatkid1966
21-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Lol I just looked at previous threads and winged it a bit. Feel free to alter anything m8;)

Shades
21-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Any bust? It's probably not necessary to exceed 38DD.

(hey, somebody had to go there)

Normski
21-07-2013, 07:57 PM
end of September is spot on mate!! look forward to Bustin you up!!! :08:

Normski
21-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I know I have put this up in another thread but here is Kiros from MDC @ MDP

I only thought it was a small scale Bust but when it turned up I was well suprised. A lot bigger than Im used to so doing it without an Airbrush will be a challenge..

Right now Im fresh out of welsh bashing jokes so Phatty I will be back!!

phatkid1966
26-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Loads of progress will post wips in about 10 days ;) how you doin?

Normski
27-07-2013, 01:50 PM
No Progress here just got back from Scotland only have undercoat on and thats it!!

Did ya know that 100% of Welsh Male Virgins are allergic to Wool!!!!!

Demonn
27-07-2013, 05:57 PM
how the hell did you find that out?

Normski
27-07-2013, 07:16 PM
its a Welsh Joke mate lol Phatty will get it im sure!!:biggrin:

Demonn
27-07-2013, 07:18 PM
and here I thought you had some first hand experience cuddling with male welsh virgins...

Normski
27-07-2013, 07:37 PM
nah I dont wear wool so Im safe!!!

phatkid1966
31-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Hey How's it going Normski? I have a few glazes to do and I'm done! Base is half done but completion will have to wait until I get back in the lab next week. Then time to get the camera out and voila - ready to rumble ;)

Normski
31-07-2013, 08:38 PM
your done? lmao Ive not even started! been trying to research stuff and also still doing Infamy entry! but Im just about to hit it big style!!

what have you been doing to get it done so quick lol its only been a fortnight hasnt it?

phatkid1966
31-07-2013, 09:07 PM
There's no secret other than being on holiday so after doing stuff with the kids during the day, the evenings are mine ;) I'm fairly happy with what I have so far.....no pressure bro! Hit it big style buddy...the World of Wampcraft is watching.....

Demonn
31-07-2013, 09:33 PM
your done? lmao Ive not even started! been trying to research stuff

you've been studying from the greats like JKN and myself, I see...

Normski
01-08-2013, 12:39 AM

Hell No if I had been watching you and JKN I wouldnt have even undercoated it or took it out the box lol
Its on my bench just waiting gonna do the eyes first then the flesh and so on!! one Ive got my shizzle together im hittin it big styley with pics lol not like You and JKN who just talk a good photo lol

@Phatty! cheers for the encouragement after work tomorrow is kick off day!!!:rockon:

Darklord
01-08-2013, 05:24 PM

Greats?

Ah the Great Procrastinators you mean

Demonn
01-08-2013, 06:14 PM
i thought it was obvious :P

and besides JKN's body of (non)work has been discussed on these baords in more threads than yours, Iacton's, Mako's, Mega's and you name it.. what else to call the guy than great!
:smile:

Normski
02-08-2013, 10:59 PM
JKN is a Legend!! your the Young Pretender lol

Photos of my work so far!! tried not to take the highlights up too much trying to stay away from the Cartoony effect! will always look cartoony but its all good I think!! all advice is welcomed, some maybe punishable by death lol

Tried to get a close up of the eyes but phone wouldnt focus that close even on macro setting!!!

Demonn
03-08-2013, 07:51 AM
hey mate, young pretender here.

I like your transitions, but overall have a feeling he is a dragqueen if you know what I mean. (Hope Liverpool FC doesn't ban me from their stadium for saying queen :biggrin:)...

the highlights are not soft enough I feel. so with them being so hard she kinda looks like a he...

Blackwolf
03-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Looking good so far mate. I think when you start the non skin bits it will soften up:smile:

phatkid1966
03-08-2013, 08:43 AM
I must admit my impression was woah dude good work. I think the sculpt leans towards a slightly masculine look so my thoughts were 'spot on' if I were to offer any advice being the challenger I would suggest you finish the bust using crayola...the fatter the better!

Normski
03-08-2013, 08:47 PM
LOL Phatty!! you trying to nobble my work by any chance?

are you keeping yours under wraps? would like to see what Im up against? or ya too scared of being upstaged by a Noob lol

@Marko, since taking that photo I have softened the tones up I did a few more highlights in places but the hit it with a few layers of wash so its not as bright on the highlights! dont know if I want to take it up any more but as It is I dunno if it will lose a lot in the photos? the hair is next then will be working downwards to avoid handling the bust!

Also some of the facial lines on the model I feel could have been lighter? I originally put purple into the lines but it looked so far off it was unreal so went back to darker skin tones in the lines. and maybe the lines could have been done away with completely? if I was to do this bust all over again I think I would get the dremmel out nd reduce some features before undercoat?

Cheers for comments guys!! Ya Did read the punishable by death bit right? lol

Demonn
03-08-2013, 08:56 PM
you are talking us to death already, so I thought I'd take my chance :P

phatkid1966
03-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Aw buddy I would love to upload some pix but still in south of France. Back late wed/early Thursday so will upload then, mostly finished tho...work to be done on the base and some glazing to be done..oh and for some reason I haven't done his finger nails yet?! Bottom line tho' your still playing catch up (grin). If I can't beat you at anything else at least I should make the finish line first...surely that's worth an extra point lol ;)

Normski
03-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Dont sell ya self Short mate Thats my job lol

Ive only got the skin almost ready there is lots to do I still have time to ruin it lol

for some reason I thought ya had come home already? ya said 10 days? thought ya went when I went to Scotland? ah well safe journey home mate and lets hope I win lol

Normski
05-08-2013, 12:56 PM
So here are some pics of the hair!! need to push the highlights more to get them whiter!!

Demonn
05-08-2013, 10:38 PM
much better :smile:

Normski
06-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Cheers fella!! done with the hair now so Im working on the upper torso now!! with the paints so thin its got 12 layers on so far lol looking quite smooth!! :biggrin:

Normski
06-08-2013, 04:31 PM

thatsthe hair done!!

as mentioned im on with the torso now so hopefully wont mess it up!!!

Undave
06-08-2013, 04:59 PM
The skin's looking good, are you going to add some eye liner etc?

Some kind of tattoo on the bald side of her head would look good, bar codes seem to be a popular choice.

vegascat
06-08-2013, 07:33 PM
She looks good so far. I'm torn though between a tattoo or not. I think it will depend on how the torso looks.

Normski
06-08-2013, 08:25 PM
cheers for the comments guys!! I wasnt thinking tattoo as im not confident I can repair any mistakes so this time I wont be doing that but maybe in future when Im confident with free hand I may go back to it?

Demonn
06-08-2013, 09:23 PM
bull!

once we finish a mini, let's face it, we ain't never going back LOL

too much metal goodness on the pile remaining....

Normski
06-08-2013, 10:19 PM
LOL a good point well made!!!

Undave
07-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Well that's the good thing about barcodes. You can actually use a pencil and ruler instead of paint, just a spot of varnish to seal it and it won't rub off.

Normski
07-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Hmmm!!!! will carry on with it and see once Im done!!

phatkid1966
07-08-2013, 07:32 PM
On way home from France, wip pics later bro;)

Normski
07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Nice one Phatty!! look forward to it!!

phatkid1966
08-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Im back. Here is what I managed to do on holiday while sitting in the sun. I had to discipline myself and avoid working on it while under the influence which turned out to be quite a lot of the time lol. Anyway, I still need to do some work on this and more has become apparent whilst looking at my mobile phone pictures. In my view if the work to be done is obvious in the mobile pictures then it needs sorting before the real camera picks them up. I need to do a little more work on his beard, i need to darken the recesses on his brow, plenty of work on his hand and nails and will need to varnish gem and perhaps deepen the darkest shadow areas. I have added some glazing to his skin but still feel something is not quite right. After thats all sorted then its on to the base! Let me know what you think and please be as picky as you like in the interest of giving me a shot at really competing against the Norsmkinator!
Heres my lil fella!

Normski
08-08-2013, 03:01 AM
mate thats really nice!! good work!!

think ya need to use a dulux brush covered in black paint from now on lol

only thing missing for me is the Pirate hat!!! I think you need to take a pic of each bust you do wearing that hat!!!

if its any consolation I think your will win!! there is more to it!! and its painted good!! a few more little touches and I think yours will be a winner mate!! Im pushing my skills to the limit with my bust and it looks plain compare to yours that could be the decider!! but dont tell anyone I said so!!

If anyone asks I was horrible and I think your is poo and mine is great lol!! May the best man win!! oh and ive disrespected your nationality some where lol cant remember which thread its in??

:slap:

Welcome back!! lol

Shades
08-08-2013, 03:44 AM
Looking good!

phatkid1966
08-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Thx both!

@ Normski, you are being way too kind buddy. Anyone can see that yours is a harder miniature to paint. That said the blending on yours is superior.
I'm not putting myself down, I am pleased with some of what I have managed but a bust with gems lots of beard is a good choice of miniature for me as it provides distractions to the eye. Your choice of miniature lends itself to open scrutiny making it much harder.

My attitude towards this contest is this though. I couldn't win/lose to a nicer bloke so as long as I improve to meet the challenge Its a total no lose situation! To this end I think you should reconsider the tattoo! You certainly are plenty good enough to pull it off and if you screw it up royally then at least your doing your good pal phatty a service ;)

Darklord
08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
I would add some purple glazing towards the recesses on the skin. possibly pick out some stronger highlights on the beard too. The eye is very nice, I cant tell if theres one already but if not I would add a light spot to the iris

phatkid1966
08-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Thx Brett. The eye does have a light spot but it doesn't show well in the picture. I did add purple and green glazes. The green to the side of his head shows nicely but I think the purple glazes were too weak. I love the beard and hate the beard the most! Could you please be more specific on how I can improve it? This advice is gold dust so cheers again in advance!

Darklord
08-08-2013, 04:32 PM
on the beard I will do the usual darker base midtone then highlight as anywhere else, but I tend to make the highlights brighter towards the tips of the hairs so it makes them stand out a bit.

phatkid1966
08-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Yep. The beard could definitely do with being darker to improve the highlights. If I take a section from the front and back it looks like there would be little or no contrast. I will try and work on that later and go back to the purple glazes .... Watch this space ;)

Demonn
08-08-2013, 05:57 PM
he looks familiar...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/demonn/HolsFR13429_zps0b30dce0.jpg

Darklord
08-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Can't believe I get to use a Brian Blessed Banzuki image two days in a row!!

http://www.challenge.co.uk/banzuke_01.jpg

Normski
08-08-2013, 08:26 PM
LMAO @ Brett and Marko!!!

@ Phatty isnt this supposed to be a smack talk thread? all we have done is compliment each other?

cant be havin people think we are soft!! ( they already know but) so Yours looks like ya just pulled it out of a bin! the painting is poo and your bust is missing arms and legs!! such a poor choice of model !!!

:belial:

phatkid1966
08-08-2013, 10:37 PM
LMAO! Marko you have no idea how smug that made the missus!:shock: and Brian Blessed!! Am I the only one who thinks that red outfit is awsome???:coool!:

@ Normski - this is your lass!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kahye2iLyE4

Normski
13-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Im Officially having a nightmare!! Ive covered the torso 3 times now!! and its nearly hit the wall a few times!!

changing my colouring so hopefully it will work then i can move on to the lower body!!!

Hey Phatty!! you still playing with your little fella lol

phatkid1966
13-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Lmao! No I haven't had much time. Back at work and feeling the fatigue! I'm off this weekend though so hopefully do some more then. As for you thinking of throwing your lady against the wall...I never thought you were that guy!!! ;)

Normski
14-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Im not that kind of guy thats why she was gently place on the bubble wrap and I thump the desk a few times instead lol

gonna give it a go again tomorrow night Im working with reds which I like doing but tried to take the highlights up with a pale blue which made it suck!! so Im going back to orange as a highlight which should work much better!!

undecided on the lower part though? was gonna go black but that was when I was going with a pale blue highlight but now Im thinking chocolate brown as the orange would work well with the brown? then go back to the eyes and do some makeup to compliment?

hopefully it will go ok!!

so you havnt played with ya little fella much? how about the bust? lol

phatkid1966
25-08-2013, 08:56 PM
How's progress Normski, I'm now working on the base but the computer is still down so no wip shots for the time being. I have ordered an external hard drive from the repair guy and he is going to back all my photos up before fixing my computer do I don't have to panic in future.

Normski
26-08-2013, 04:06 PM
well Im still having a nightmare!! the lower part of the bust has been changed 3 times and Im having a nightmare layering the flat areas as there is slight body tone so there is room for definition but every time I do it I mess it up!
gonna try it again tonight Im going to go minimal work and hit the detail instead of trying to layer it all if it doesnt work Im gonna chuck it in the bin!! lol

look forward to your pics though mate!!

Normski
31-08-2013, 01:47 AM
ended up pulling all the paint off the lower section of the bust!! got a brush hair stuck in the paint didnt notice till it was dry!! pulled it off and off came the paint! back on track now though!! back to base colours doing the torso now!! glad got till end of Sept lol

Normski
07-09-2013, 10:48 PM
ok so the painting has gone much better than before! a few more layers and a matt coat then photos!!

phatkid1966
07-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Welcome back bud, hope you had a brilliant holiday. Glad you are getting to grips with it. Mine is heading the other direction! I wanted to build a base that represented a kind of gem mine with a section cut out of a wall and gems galore spilling out. It looked horrible shape wise and the gems plus the colours I used makes me think my base resemble rave sick. :eeeew!: All flouresent and lumpy. I don't even think I can rescue it and I am pretty sure Im going to bin this one and chalk it up! lol thats the name of the game sometimes :rage:

I also will be glad to get on with my Darklands dio which is so far 0% complete. The saving grace there is that I have the last week in September off and children are in school..yippie!! Looking forward to your wippix m8 :cool:

Normski
07-09-2013, 11:15 PM
sounds like ya need to ditch the fancy base and stay basic!! ive gone for a very basic base but put a plaque on it!! im gonna hit it tomorrow and push the layers a bit brighter then should be done!! need to get it out the way coz have to crack on with Dads present!!

phatkid1966
07-09-2013, 11:30 PM
sounds like ya need to ditch the fancy base and stay basic!! ive gone for a very basic base but put a plaque on it!! im gonna hit it tomorrow and push the layers a bit brighter then should be done!! need to get it out the way coz I have to score some crack as my Dads present!!

You are right I think. I might compromise and buy a nice base :) Oh and good luck with the above but you should just say NO!
:belial:

Normski
07-09-2013, 11:37 PM
LMAO mate ya got me for a minute there! I was like I didnt type that!! lol

Normski
09-09-2013, 01:23 AM
ok so a few update pics!! didnt get as far as I wanted tonight!! so I have a bit more toning down to do on the hip high lights and the exo-spine needs highlighting and where I converted the wires they need to be 3 different colours and the wires on the right side need finishing, then I think I will be ready to put it on the base!! I didnt want to go too far with the high lights want more of a natural feel but the black took me to the extreme high light so may have to tone that back just a little? then will put it on the shelf with the others :cool:

phatkid1966
09-09-2013, 01:45 AM
I have to say you have done fantastic, Im not sure I want to play anymore!! :shock:I really like the blending m8 very nice and I really want to stroke those tats to see if they are as smooth as they look (snik snik phnaaar) lol

For me the base is still a problem. I have recovered it to a certain degree and its looking much better but still needs a lot of work to make it work with the bust. Still at least I have the option now, if all else fail I will go with a straight plinth.

Normski
09-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Cheers mate but isnt this supposed to be smack talk lol
Ive gone for basic base nothing magnificent! Just gonna paint the plaque and put her name on it!

Ya have till the end of the month to sort ya base out so dont worry im sure it will loom poo anyway lmao

Oh that was low did ya feel that kick in gooliea? Pow right in the kisser lol

Normski
12-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Ok Phatty Im done!! its been a tough little piece to paint and has almost connected with the wall several time but i got it done!!

Normski
12-09-2013, 01:43 PM
So!! The Bust was from MDP costing 15 when it arrived i thought it was going to be smaller but was surprised to see it being bigger than the span of my hand.
This is the model I experimented with a lot of layering some worked and a lot didnt but I pushed myself and got it done in the end, I found painting this a much bigger challenge than a 30mm scale mini the thinness of the paint compared to how I would do a smaller scale mini was hugely different more like coloured water than paint.

The Black part of the torso ended up being stripped off as I got a hair stuck in it and didnt realise! bloody cats!!
but this was for the best as i wasnt happy with the colour choice which was originally Brown, Black seems to have worked much nicer with the red.

it was also my first attempt at bigger scale eyes and Im quite pleased with how they turned out. The Exo-Spine had a bit of conversion done to it, the original had what looked like wires cut off just sticking out the top, so I decided to cut them off and drill in to the top and put in my own version which in my mind are jack plus which plug into a Helmet she may wear on her travels through Sc-Fi world.

Noe the base is completely recycled, can anyone guess what it is?

Yes its the lid from a Colgate toothpaste pump lol and the sign is cut from the side of a BEER can(Marko lol).
the sign also had a few attempts tried to get a brushed brass look but kept messing up so went with a plain brass look and then on went the name!

all in all it was a right ball ache to do but experience should teach me a few lessons!!

Hope you like?

@ Phatty! where you at with yours now mate your playing catch up lol

vegascat
12-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Norm, my friend, she looks great! I thought the plugs on her spine looked a bit odd until you explained them; odd but not bad, if you know what i mean. You guys really have me itching to paint the one bust that I do have.

So, did you scare phatkid away with your great entry or is he still around? :cheeky:

Endor
12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
He's hiding in his emerald mine with the greedy dwarves who are pushing him relentlessly. They can't bear to lose to a sci-fi woman, there is too much honour and to many bets at stake in the mountain ;)

Great work Normski, the blending is really pleasing, exceptionally well done!

Normski
12-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Vegas mate cheers!! yeah I agree about the plugs but a bit of background helps lol get that bust painted mate but take ya time!! was a great learning curve for me :cool:

Endor mate thanks for your comments high praise indeed!!

Phatty will be either chasing sheep or fiddling with his little fella lol

Demonn
12-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Phatty will be either chasing sheep or fiddling with his little fella lol

what's the difference?

cool paintjob mate! well done

Normski
12-09-2013, 08:24 PM
ha ha true!!:biggrin:

Cheers fella!! any Crit? will help for next time?

Demonn
12-09-2013, 08:58 PM
you'll hear the crit when the welshbloke stops fiddling his sheep and posts his own entry...

Normski
12-09-2013, 11:45 PM
ah yeah lol good point!! look forward to it though will take it on board to push myself further :cool:

phatkid1966
13-09-2013, 01:39 AM
I totally agree. With the high praise not the fiddling with my little fella comments. :9: I will have you know its erm at least 50mm but thats without the base I swear it!!!

Besides I prefer Endors' take! The greedy dwarves are pushing me to perfection.....

Well my entry is gonna be a week or so yet and thats if the base goes according to plan. The more I look at Normski's sc-fi boobydonna the more I think mine isn't ready.

Normski
13-09-2013, 01:47 AM
hey Phatty what ya doing on here? have all the sheep gone to bed lol

im sure yours is just fine mate, you just keep touching your little fella and it will turn out ok in the end lol

phatkid1966
13-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Lol ok you do know im a probation officer don't ya? :cheeky:

Normski
13-09-2013, 02:07 AM
do ya get many delinquent sheep lol?

when they have been naughty and deny it do they try pulling the wool over your eyes lol

are sheep crimes baaaaaaarbaric ?

when lambs are looking shifty are they being sheepish?

ya can step in and stop me anytime now lol

phatkid1966
13-09-2013, 02:15 AM
Meh! You won't pull the wool over my eyes that easy!

Normski
13-09-2013, 11:10 AM
lol unlike your wooly friends hey mate!

anyway where are your photos lol not the ones of you fiddling with sheep!! the ones of you fiddling with ya little fella lol

phatkid1966
16-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Still working on it dude, going back and forth between that and a Darklands entry.

phatkid1966
17-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Miniature is done, i think but the base is still the problem. Basically when I started I did a half assed job with the planning (lesson there). I can't start from sratch because I have too many other projects need my love/abuse! I think i'm calling it done. I will get the camera out over the next few days.

Normski
18-09-2013, 02:40 AM
cool! look forward to it mate!

Your darklands entry looks cool so if ya have done the bust the same it will be a nice one mate!!

phatkid1966
21-09-2013, 11:11 PM
This has been a fun challenge and whatever the outcome it has been fantastic for me and has left me feeling like there has been some improvement personally. That said a lot of the changes made were the result of some excellent forum advice and some relatively minor changes produced quite dramatic enhancements.

The colour scheme is split complimentary and started with the gem. The beard was a leap of faith because it looked so good before I painted it lol I tried to make it look like he was just starting to reach dwarf retirement age with a little grey starting to creep in. I went for a warm rich skin tone and added green glazes to the sides on his head and a few other experimental glazes around the place.
I think it was a great choice of bust for me because there are lots of distractions to the eye (Normskis miniature would have been much harder for me for sure)!
The eye was fun painting and for some reason I seem to be enjoying painting things with one eye! Thats my thing :)

The base was my biggest nightmare and the original base after 2 weeks of saving got itself unsaved and in the bin. Really glad I did that because a simple base added to the charm in my opinion. It also gave me the chance to try some freehand painting for the wording.

I really enjoy painting bust, maybe its the size I find easier with my poor eyesight and shakey hands lol I'm definately gonna paint some more in the future.

Okay heres the pics, please don't be shy with the crits and ta for voting if u do :smile:

Undave
21-09-2013, 11:46 PM
I like the way he's slightly boz eyed as if he's really squinting at the gem.

Normski
22-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Phatty mate! I love it! Specially the reddening i the cheeks the boss eye is a nice touch!
So? Voting thread or poll? How do ya wanna play it mate?

phatkid1966
22-09-2013, 12:47 AM
thanks bud, I don't mind tbh but if we have a thread we will get feedback which I wouldn't mind. :)

Blackwolf
22-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Cracking work both!

Normski
22-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Ok mate we can open a score out of 10 thread if we set it up we can get the show on the road:-)

phatkid1966
23-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Ok bud, go for it or I can sort it when I'm off work tomorrow(tues) ;)