PDA

View Full Version : The WAMP Monthly: February 2013 - Three Colours!

kdlynch
31-01-2013, 03:07 AM
Okay, time for the return of the WAMP Monthly.

This month's theme (stolen from Orki in the prior 'monthly' thread) is the return of Three Colours!

Basically, you can only use three jars/bottles/whatevertheycomein colours of paint. Mixing is of course allowed. Primer is counted as a colour only if it shows. Listing the three colours you've used would be appreciated, as it will let viewers know what is possible with just using those three. ^^

Judging will be via poll, but please comment and discuss entries in the 'voting poll' thread. How many votes we get is not determined yet, as it will be based on the number of entries.

Gallery will be set up a bit later... let's let DL finish dealing with RBG & Wamped III first. ^^ I don't want this to affect being able to enter other WAMP competitions, so we might have to do something slightly different for the Gallery. (Perhaps posting a link to your image in the gallery in a 'gathering' thread would work? any ideas?)

Deadline will be February 28th, Midnight GMT (so the very end of February).

Works should be new works, not something you finished 42 years ago. :P No issue with entering them in other competitions, unless the other competition says otherwise.

Did I miss anything? and bring on the smack talk! hehe

PS: We'll start a poll for March's theme around 2/21, giving us a week to decide that one. If you have any themes you'd like to submit, just lemme know in this thread. ^^ Try to keep them more on the general side, though we will be doing some more specific themes throughout the year as well.

invisibach
31-01-2013, 05:07 AM
Sounds like a fun challenge. I think I'm in for this one.

Leopardpixie
07-02-2013, 10:50 PM
OOOO i think i will try this on the next mini. Ive been so bad with my colors lately it looks like my minis have rolled in a rainbow. Challenge accepted. Red Yellow blue!
Now some one slap me if i dont paint a mini by the end of the month!

Demonn
07-02-2013, 11:14 PM
wow, this takes me back a year. about this time a year ago, Pete was running Iron Painter 8 (receiving all sorts of grief from me and other contestants about judging taking longer than actual painting of the minis LOL). In Round 3, his theme was: Only Three Colours. He didn't specify people HAD to use only three colours to paint. Since I probably won't make it this competition I thought I'd post my entry from IP8 as an inspiration and motivation to all of you. (and it's funny)

http://wyrd-games.net/photopost/data/669/medium/IP8_R3.jpg

Good luck guys! (sorry I won't be competing with you)

ScottRadom
08-02-2013, 12:57 AM
Ha!

I'm out as I took on a ladder challenge that is going to take all my attention. Good Luck!

kdlynch
08-02-2013, 06:07 AM
there's always next time, Scott, or the time after that. ^^ in the meantime, you've got a full crew to paint hehe

Normski
08-02-2013, 12:32 PM
This has "Space Marine" Written all over it lol

Oh do I hear GW lawyers at my door lol

waghorn41
08-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Like Demonn I entered IP, so here's my awful entry for that just to make you cringe/shudder - but I think mine is funnier than Demonn's :rolleyes:

kdlynch
09-02-2013, 01:03 AM
how can it not be featuring BB Orks. lol... how many different paint jobs have those boyz had now?

Oddly, my BB Orks are actually painted up in rasta colours like Demonn's entry. Dreds and all. hehe

Nameless
17-02-2013, 02:28 PM
ooohh, I will have an entry :)

kdlynch
17-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Very cool, Nameless. ^^

BTW: For all those entering: upload your pics as you would normally, and post a link in this thread (if not the image too). I'll gather them all up for the voting thread at the end of the month. I'm not going to have a specific gallery for this, as that would interfere with putting it in the correct contest gallery, if the model is being entered in both.

Sparks
18-02-2013, 04:11 AM
As a cheeky question, does a zenithal undercoat count as two of those colours? If the undercoat only counts as one, I'll have an entry done by the end of next week...

kdlynch
18-02-2013, 04:55 AM
if you've completely covered the basecoat with opaque paint, then the undercoat doesn't count at all. if you're using translucent paint over the undercoat, then however many paints you used count. so, if you undercoat black, zenith white, and paint the eyeballs red, you've got three colours. if you undercoat black, zenith white, and drop the figure into a bucket of green housepaint, you've got one colour. hehe. ^^ make sense? it's pretty restrictive, i know, but you are allowed to mix those three together. so if you used red, yellow and blue, you can actually get quite a number of colours on the figure.

Nameless
22-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Very cool, Nameless. ^^
cool indeed. cool and snowy ;)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/Nameless_philm/11_new_pics/cow.jpg

Cow is a G.A.St. Art product and was painted with three Reaper MSP paints: Pure White, Pure Black and Carnage Red :)

invisibach
26-02-2013, 08:40 PM
I finished my entry last night! Why does February have to be the shortest month? I didn't think I was going to make it in time. Pictures will be up when I get home from work tonight.

More importantly though, what's the challenge for NEXT month?

invisibach
27-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Enigma Miniatures Vardiyin, in VMC German Camo Black Brown, VMC Deck Tan, and Reaper MSP Pale Violet Red.

Really fun challenge. Kind of liberating in a way. I think I'll do my next few minis in 3 or 4 colors. It easier to maintain a palette this way and makes me focus much more on what I'm doing with the paint rather than what color to mix in next.

kdlynch
28-02-2013, 05:19 AM
I haven't had time to set up a poll of choices for March, so I'll pick a pretty generic one: Blues. Your choice whether the model is predominately blue/shades of blue (but you don't have to go monochromatic if you don't want), or if it's just singin' the blues. As long as it's obvious Blues, you're good to go. ^^ (Voting again by poll, will comments/critiques appreciated.) Proper March thread will go up Friday.