PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the WAMP Monthly?

kdlynch
09-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm thinking of bringing back the WAMP Monthly contest starting in February. This is a contest just done for fun & bragging rights, featuring a new theme each month. I'd like to gauge if there is enough interest to start this back up at this time.

So, what if you're interested in seeing the return of the WAMP Monthly, whether or not you can immediately participate in the competition, please reply to this thread. You could also submit ideas for themes if you'd like. Though February might be run slightly differently, the plan would be to do a poll for theme a couple weeks prior to start, and a poll to select the winner for a week afterwards, giving a full month for each contest to get entries in.

Let me know your ideas. ^^

Note: Old WAMP Monthly threads are, and will continue to be stored, here: http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Demonn
09-01-2013, 12:51 PM
would participate. february seems fine (as I have a couple entries for Wamped and RBG competitions to do prior)..
and I think it's a great idea.

I like the fact that it's themed based as opposed to company based because I live in Croatia and the availability of certain companies is limited if not non-existant...
plus it gives me the opportunity to reduce my pile of sh.. minis.

ScottRadom
09-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Cool stuff, I'd be in!

jkn
09-01-2013, 01:05 PM
I will happily join in - probably not the first couple months, but then, yes.

Nameless
09-01-2013, 02:31 PM
if I have a mini that I want to paint but also accidentally fits a them, then sure, why not :)

Demonn
09-01-2013, 02:39 PM
for me, during the IP8, the biggest fun was going through my box of minis and trying to find the minis I can addapt to the fit the theme in hand...

Nameless
09-01-2013, 03:39 PM
btw, I'm not a fan of theme-based contests. I usually want to paint a single mini on a display base, and themes (especially if they are part of the judgment/voting) tend to force people to create scenes and dioramas. Also, themes lead to lower number of entries.
I know that many would disagree (probably majority) but I felt like presenting my point of view.
I can live with themes if they are relatively generic and are not judged. Possible example: "something green". one can paint mini in green clothing, a Martian, orc, make a green forest display for any mini...

kdlynch
09-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Good point nameless... perhaps we could do a ratio? say 1 or 2 months of more "generic" themes (colour, style, pattern, technique, for instance) and then a month of a more "specific" theme (based on a song, or[c/k]s only, 'staring at the stars', for instance)?

NeatPete
09-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm kinda with Nameless on this one although its a trade off. Without a theme you get a bunch of random minis and its to really tough vote "on" anything. Without some sort of tie between them, its just hodge podge gallery of minis. I like the idea of more general themes though. As the MC for IP last year I spent hours brainstorming themes with my wife and friends to help me come up with things that could be interprited and expressed in many different ways. Tough to get a good one that doesn't force a dio scene telling the story.

Demonn
09-01-2013, 05:26 PM
and I really liked your themes during IP. for example my favourite was Only three colours. it could mean technique (and there were some entries with only three colours - different shades) or it could tell a story or there were some entries that were painted using only three colours (and by mixing them the painters got a lot of colours) etc etc..

generic themes are great, IMO...

Undave
09-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Regarding themes, it depends on how you score it. Before, we had a mark out of ten for the model/painting and another for how well it fitted the theme. If the theme was a little abstract (usually one of Wag's) then it encouraged people to come up with something creative. If it was "Orks" and you painted an Ork then you got 10/10 woohoo...:rolleyes: It rather defeated the object.

The original was supposed to be about dioramas and working with what you had to fit in with the theme but there's no reason it needs to stay like that every time. If you have one month as a straight painting competition, just remove the scoring for theme.

Vern
09-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Yes, I'd be interested. I liked the old style - marks for painting, marks for theme - although, I have no particular interest in creating diorama or display bases, I think you can still be creative within the theme.

I would suggest, for the first competition at least, quite a straighforward theme (like a colour or something).

waghorn41
09-01-2013, 08:01 PM
I like the monthly comps :smile:

But then, as Undave says, I'm abstract. It's amazing what you can do with an old Bloodbowl Orc (roll on IP9!)

Personally I like the challenge of finding something in the pile that I can make fit the theme by painting/converting etc.

jkn
09-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Help a newbie out... IP8 stands for?

adary
09-01-2013, 09:32 PM
I like the idea. I might not participate each month, but I like the idea nevertheless

Demonn
09-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Help a newbie out... IP8 stands for?
Iron Painter 8
a painting competition over on Wyrd forum...

ScottRadom
10-01-2013, 12:22 AM
The themes got WAY too specific and constraining previously. Good point Nameless!

Undave
10-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Themes need to be broad and ambiguous so they are open to interpretation for those who want to do something clever as well as those who just want to do a straight figure paint. Of course choosing the themes so that they fulfil those conditions is the hard part.

Orki
10-01-2013, 03:01 AM
Yeah, broad themes are good!

I remember suggesting a few last time, like 'Back in black', and the original 3-colours-only casual challenge.

This time, how about a 'no BB orcs' theme? :D :D :D

As usual, I dunno if i'll have the time to join in, but it's always great seeing what you guys come up with. :)

waghorn41
10-01-2013, 08:39 PM
This time, how about a 'no BB orcs' theme? :D :D :D

Oh come on, surely you don't seriously think I can't create something with a BB orc that fits that theme? :D

Leopardpixie
23-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Oh come on, surely you don't seriously think I can't create something with a BB orc that fits that theme? :D

I think you would love that challenge!

waghorn41
23-01-2013, 08:21 PM
It would be too easy...

I like a challenge :smile:

dpowell
23-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Sounds interesting. I like the idea of mixing broad themes with more specific ones. Hopefully each will appeal to different people and get them to participate.

Not sure I'll be able to enter a lot of these but I'll definitely keep my eye out and put something up when I can.

jkn
24-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm looking forward to these! Bring 'em on.