PDA

View Full Version : Banelegions 2012 - Results

Darklord
13-09-2012, 11:25 AM
http://banelegions.maelstromgames.co.uk/images/banelegions_logo_web_medium.png

What a contest! The lure of our biggest ever prize haul has tempted plenty of you to wield your brushes in anger an come up with some cracking results (heck it even tempted me to paint something too!) The Banelegions has some cracking miniatures in its range and you have certainly done them justice. I think the fact we didnt have to vote on this was maybe a good thing!! That task fell to Maelstrom Games themselves. Several of their staff (including their studio painters) took the time to choose their favourites with each judge compiling their own short lists and points awarding to their positions on that list. All the points from each judge were added together and that gave them our winners.
So without further ado I can reveal the BaneLegions champion of 2012 is................

THOR!
with his excellent Lord of The Gabrax

http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/images/10/289-010366100-1345461754.jpg

A massive well done to the mighty Thor, its a superb entry. For his efforts he takes home a copy of every new BaneLegions release FOR A YEAR!!

In second place is......

....Darklord!! (Yay!!) with Vilthiss and with it a choice of a new release every month for a year!

in third place comes XUR with his version of Keirioc-Cro . Xur grabs himself a choice of any Banelegion miniature.

So a well done to our winners.

Now if you havent won then don't be too dissapointed because Maelstrom seem to think they are a miniature wielding Santa and are giving away yet more goodies!!

All these folks will be getting a £10 voucher to put towards any Banelegions miniature!

Most Entries Andy S (4 entries)

Highest overall standard for multiple entries Andy S

Best alternative setting p1per for the near fuure Muldo.

Biggest Beastie! Spectral Dragon for Typhaggaw

Best Ulric (there was a lot of Ulric entries and a tough choice!) p1per

Best Warband (entries of same faction) Andy S - Saxons

Best base Sparks' Tain of the Tarvax

Most apt setting AKA Bloody hell! It looks cold there! Andy S - Krann

First in! Michael R Ballard

Best Mood Corvus - Ulric

and if you STILL havent won anything fear not because this contest has turned into a soup kitchen and theres stuff for everyone. Anyone that hasnt won a prize yet will be given a £5 voucher to use against a BaneLegion miniature.

So folks there we go, everyones a winner. As is customary a herty thankyou to our sponsor but I think a extra hearty one to Maelstrom for the sheer awesomness of this contest and their generosity. They are a great bunch with a great store and great minis, whats not to like!

You can find them here:

Maelstrom Games (https://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/)

A big well done to our winners (thats erm everyone that entered it seems!!) and a big thankyou to everyone that has taken the time to comment on peoples WIP's or gallery submissions.
If you want to check out all th entries you can do so here:

Banelegions entries (http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/index.php?do=search&search=yes&photo_contest=6)

Tim (Bananaman) will be popping along at some point I believe to leave some judges comments on the entries.

Winners can you pm me your email address,name,etc so we can sort your prizes.

Until next year!

Corvus
13-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I won something!! I'm super happy with the prize!!

Congrats to the other winners, especially the number one.

Thanks Maelstrom & Darklord!

Darklord
13-09-2012, 12:07 PM
I just want to state that I was in no way involved with the judging and had no influence over the results, if anyone has any issues with me winning something then I will happily remove myself from the results

shanerozzell
13-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Well done to everyone this was a superb contest with a lot of very high standard mini's. Big congrats to Thor, DL and XUR, all excellent Entries.

Yourbiscuit
13-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Congratz to all the winners!! Well deserved!!

/Biscuit

Demonn
13-09-2012, 01:01 PM
congratz to the winners.. wait, that is everybody, right?
well, congratz to everyone! :smile:

some bloody great work there!

phatkid1966
13-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Congrats to everyone and I mean everyone. Aside from all the winners it's been an absolute pleasure for those of us who didn't enter! I have been inspired to have a crack at an Ulric myself! (any chance of a prize for the most non entry DL)?

Corvus
13-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I have been inspired to have a crack at an Ulric myself!

I'm actually surprised this miniature is so popular. I thought he wasn't appealing to that many people...

XUR
13-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Hey, my Keirioc won third place ! :)
Great victory !!

Many thanks to Maelstrom, congrats for all your works, pals.
(and Thor : this banner is GORGEOUS)

Darklord
13-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Hey, my Keirioc won third place ! :)
Great victory !!

I reckon the only reason I beat you was the basing, really liked your paint scheme.

phatkid1966
13-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Ah so the big wad of used notes in the brown bag you asked me to hand over was for what Brett? ;)

phatkid1966
13-09-2012, 03:26 PM
@ Corvus, I'm not sure how much I like Ulric yet, I was wholly inspired by P1pers, macs and your entries. Now that I'm painting it I will def buy more banelegion in future.

NeatPete
13-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Congrats everyone!

Thanks for sponsoring WAMP contests!

bananaman
13-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Again, thanks to all for entering and congrats to the winners!

Sorry for the results being announced a little later than planned, I've been mega-busy these past few days in new premises and there's no net yet so I'm off the grid!

I'll post some feedback for all the entrants over the next few days and also add a run-down of the voting from each judge so you can see who came where and how!

Can't do it now as my notes are where the internet isn't :P

Again thanks and I'm over the moon that so many of you liked our range enough to paint some minis and at the high, overall standard. Judging wasn't easy!

MaGie
13-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Congratulations to all winners! Especially Thor, what an outstanding piece! Well deserved win :)

Thanks to Brett and Maelstrom for a great event, and Maelstrom for being incredibly generous!

Sparks
13-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Thor's piece had win stamped all over it from the off! A cracking piece no doubt, pretty much flawless from what I could see. Congrats DL on the comeback paintjob/victory, fingers crossed you get some lovely figures over the year. Well done XUR on third place, will we see some different photos in future? Do you have plans for a base to match?

Final well done to everyone else who picked up vouchers, thanks for the Best Base one- it was an experiment that I haven't tried before but I really liked it and would definitely do something similar in future. This just reinforces that idea some more!

Time to get started on next year's comp again? Or have Maelstrom bankrupted themselves with freebies this year? :redface:

(ooh, looking forward to the feedback as well, can't believe how much effort,etc has gone into the judging. very much appreciated!)

Corvus
13-09-2012, 09:54 PM
@ Corvus, I'm not sure how much I like Ulric yet, I was wholly inspired by P1pers, macs and your entries. Now that I'm painting it I will def buy more banelegion in future.

Well I liked him from the first time I saw him. I'm a long time fan of Stephane Simon's work while he was still working for Rackham.
I'm also convinced of the great quality of the Maelstrom miniatures, I'm going to buy more of them for sure!

I'll post some feedback for all the entrants over the next few days and also add a run-down of the voting from each judge so you can see who came where and how!

Now that would be cool! Thanks in advance!

Spectral Dragon
14-09-2012, 05:54 AM
DL I'm happy your going to get a steady supply of beasties! Honestly you warned everyone ahead of time you were entering so in my not so humble opinion they should have said something then!

I won something! I look forward to my mini!

Darklord
14-09-2012, 09:30 AM
@ Corvus, I'm not sure how much I like Ulric yet, I was wholly inspired by P1pers,

I had P1pers down for a top three finish actually, but there were so many great paint jobs to choose from

Corvus
14-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Oh yeah p1per's Ulric looked great, but I helped him a little: http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/showthread.php?t=3867&page=5&p=185836&viewfull=1#post185836 :)

Seriously now, I'm proud to have inspired him.

Darklord
14-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Oh yeah p1per's Ulric looked great, but I helped him a little: http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/showthread.php?t=3867&page=5&p=185836&viewfull=1#post185836 :)

Seriously now, I'm proud to have inspired him.

and thats one of the things that makes Wamp great, folks help out others despite being competitiors. Keep up the inspiration mate!

Thor
14-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Thank you very much to all for your kind words and congratulations to all participants. :)
Also, Thank you very much to Brett and BaneLegions for this contest.

This is a biggest prize I ever had and definitely, It will impulse myself to improved a miniatures modelling for even further. :)

I didn't post anything in the forum before because my limited of the language. But I visit WAMP many times to find an inspiration and knowledge of making a miniatures from all of your. It's very helpful for me (many thanks again :) and I hope that my works will be an inspiration to you as well.

Best,
Thor

PS. Please forgive my poor English. :)

Corvus
14-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Your English is fine, don't be shy!

There are a lot of non-English speaking people here (including myself), in the end we basically speak the same language: that of miniature painting :) Don't let the potential type-o or odd formed sentence keep you from posting here. Perfect English is not a requirement on this forum (Darklord correct me if I'm wrong ;))

It would be cool if you posted here more often, we obviously can learn a lot from you!

Darklord
14-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Perfect English is not a requirement on this forum (Darklord correct me if I'm wrong;))

absolutely correct mate, after all we let the Americans on here!!

Even if you dont wish to post (though your English is as Corvus said plenty good enough) please post some more of your stuff in the gallery. We all like looking at great minis and the more we can have in the gallery the better

Thor
14-09-2012, 03:03 PM
With a help from google translate, It's still took me an hour for writing a comment below. :frown:
Thanks again Corvus and Brett for your kindness. I'll tried to post even more into the forum and in the gallery with my new work soon. :wink:

shanerozzell
14-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Wow! I just had a look at you blog Thor and was amazed. When I first saw your BaneLegion piece I did wonder about the banner and the texture on the back but thought it was part of the sculpt or material you used. Just found out that you actually painted the leather texture by hand and was amazed. Superb mate!

NeatPete
14-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Wow, thats a great blog Thor! I'm glad I got to see how you achieved that leather effect and many others. Thanks for the info and inspiration.

As far as language goes, my English sucks and it's my native tongue so please continue to share with us. Plus there are all these Brits around and they make up all sorts of silly things to say.

ArkMechanicus
14-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Congrats to everyone!

Amazing prize support, hopefully by next year my entry will make it out of the blister. :)

Endor
14-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Congratulations to all winners! Especially Thor, what an outstanding piece! Well deserved win :)

Thanks to Brett and Maelstrom for a great event, and Maelstrom for being incredibly generous!

:amen:

Darklord
14-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Well as you enjoyed it so much you'll be pleased to know that we will be having another one next year!

Sparks
15-09-2012, 12:14 AM
woop woop! Had two I didn't get done for this year, so good to know there's motivation for next year already!

Spectral Dragon
15-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Well as you enjoyed it so much you'll be pleased to know that we will be having another one next year!
I'm in :D

ArkMechanicus
15-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Nice! I may start next week. :tongue:

bananaman
17-09-2012, 02:02 PM
OK I now have on-line juice!

To be as open as possible and to give you guys the best feedback here's a list of the judges and their choices - feedback comments will follow later when I have a few mins to compile and type out.

Ben Komets

1) Thor
2) Darklord
3) P1per (Ulric)

Sebastien Picque

1) Thor
2) P1per (Muldo)
3) Xur

Tim Fisher

1) Thor
2) Xur
3) Darklord

Rob Lane

1) Thor
2) Darklord
3) Xur

Which, when we apply 3 pts for first 2 for 2nd a 1 for third gave us the following leader-board

1) Thor 12pts

2) Darklord 5 pts

3) Xur 4pts

4) P1per (Muldo) 2pts

5 P1per (Ulric) 1pt

Darklord
17-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks Tim thats really insightful. A nice clear cut winner as well

Novakman
17-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Congratulations to all the winners. Something that really struck me was how good the photography was from the winners. Something definitely to be learned from that. Retrospectively, the pictures I took just weren't up to scratch. Is there any photography advice on the forum?

shanerozzell
17-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Congratulations to all the winners. Something that really struck me was how good the photography was from the winners. Something definitely to be learned from that. Retrospectively, the pictures I took just weren't up to scratch. Is there any photography advice on the forum?

Loads mate, check out the photography (http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/forumdisplay.php?f=27)section and also in the articles (http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/content.php?r=2-Tutorials&page=1).

Darklord
18-09-2012, 06:42 PM
still waiting on details from everyone that entered, only got a few, if you want your goodies I need your details!

Darklord
18-09-2012, 06:44 PM

biggest improvement I have found is when shooting on a black/dark backgroun add a slip of white paper somewhere to the side of the model - it makes the photo much better (simply crop out at editing) thanks to orki for that tip.

Oh and welcome to Wamp mate

Novakman
18-09-2012, 10:04 PM
thanks for the welcome. looking forward to using the site and all the tips so i can improve. really enjoying painting single figures as opposed to huge armies.

Novakman
18-09-2012, 10:05 PM
what details do you want good sir? And where should i send them?

mclimbin
20-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to all the Wampers for setting this up. My Ulric was not one of the winners, but the contest got me to paint a fig from a new (to me) line of miniatures, I had a great time painting him, and it is one of my best paintjobs so far. Seeing everyone else's work was very inspiring. All in all, this has been a great experience.
:grouphug:
ps: and thanks to DL for letting us play on Wamp too!

after all we let the Americans on here!!

Darklord
24-09-2012, 08:20 PM
what details do you want good sir? And where should i send them?

pm them to me, name address and email please.

Now its announced I wanted to let you folks know that the prizes will be handled by Mierce miniatures but its still the same great guys

final call for sending me those prize details folks

Corvus
25-09-2012, 02:46 PM
final call for sending me those prize details folks

Done, I hope it was still in time :)

Darklord
25-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Done, I hope it was still in time :)
yes mate ill be sorting it all tomorrow

Spectral Dragon
25-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Looking forward to the staff feedback, that's still going to happen isn't it?

Corvus
01-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Looking forward to the staff feedback, that's still going to happen isn't it?

No doubt the guys at Mierce Miniatures are very busy, but I'm also still waiting on the feedback...

Orki
01-10-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm really disappointed that I couldn't enter this one in the end. I did get to make a start on my entry before the life thing happened though, and i'll certainly be revisiting it when I'm a bit able to. :)

Well done to all the entrants and winners of course, I really enjoyed looking at all the lovely entries earlier. Great stuff! :)

Darklord
01-10-2012, 04:21 PM
there will be another one next year Orki so all is not lost

Orki
01-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Cool! That'll give all you yokels that paint slower than a backwards-ticking clock a fair chance then. :P

Actually, I really don't know why I'm starting the smack-talk already. I must be painting slower than Sprouts and Roger at the mo. ie Not at all. :D

AndyS
23-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Things have gone pretty quiet on the prize front. Anyone have any idea when the vouchers for smaller prizes will be issued?

Cheers!

Corvus
23-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I think Maelstrom is very busy with their warehouse move. But an update from Darklord won't hurt, it's been a month anyway.

Darklord
24-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I havent had any news and to be honest I havent chased on this partly because of the Maelstrom situation and partly I have been chasing my tail. I shall have a word and see if I can get some info. You will get your prizes have no fear.

bananaman
30-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi Guys,

sorry it's been a little quiet - I just got back from my vacation with my family. I'm back today (a little jet-lagged but I'm here!). Before I went away I had a million and one jobs to take care of to ensure the production guys could still cast whilst I was away and naturally that took up the bulk of my time.

Of course I have come back to another million and one jobs - but I will be taking care of the prize stuff this week. Don't worry, no-one will miss out!

Cheers

Tim

bananaman
02-11-2012, 06:52 PM
OK I have the details for (check your inboxes for instructions on how to claim your prize)

Torlarp Intararangson

2nd: Brett Johnson

3rd

Stéphane Nguyen.

Best mood:

Gerrie Schenck

Most entries, highest overall standard,best warband and most apt setting:

Andy Speirs

Best base:

Adam Parkhouse

£5 vouchers:

Tobias Cramnell

Jason Compton

Anyone else that won a prize want to send their details over? Last chance! PM me or Brett

Captain Sprout
02-11-2012, 09:05 PM
I think I'd prefer my order or a refund on the one I have had outstanding for 3 months.

AndyS
05-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Nothing in my inbox yet!

Andy Speirs

Sparks
05-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Check your junk mail. On my hotmail account I got an email left in my junk account.

AndyS
05-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Cheers Sparks. You're right! There it was hidden amongst the PPI claim junk!

Vern
05-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Wait! What? you can claim back PPI - why haven't I heard anything :tongue: