PDA

View Full Version : WAMP2012 - The afttermath

Darklord
15-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Hi folks,
I wanted to get some feedback from you all about the event. What you liked, what you didn't like, any suggestions to make it bigger and better? Should I do another one next year?
I would also love to hear from those that didn't come (not those that couldn't!). What would have made you consider coming along, maybe there wasn't enough to tempt you?

If another event happened next year would you prefer a bigger event featuring traders? Would you be put off by an entry fee (maybe 2-3) something like that?

Undave
15-08-2012, 04:18 PM
After the disappointment of the Maelstrom shop this year traders would be nice although hopefully they ought to have sorted themselves out by then if it's decided to hold it there again. A couple of quid to get in is nothing in the grand scheme of things really, I'd be happy to pay that, especially if it allows better facilities or more attractions.

Seminars are always a good pull if you can find somewhere suitable to hold them, talks from sculptors, manufacturers etc. With all the talent on here I'm sure we could put something together.

With both of the last two Wamps going so well they can only get better so I don't see how you can't hold one next year :biggrin:

Sparks
15-08-2012, 05:01 PM
For me, the publishing of the judges guidelines would be really useful. Having gone from Bronze to Silver, I'd like to know exactly where I can get those extra points to go one step further. I know it's all subjective on the day,etc. but if they have a baseline to work from, it would be great to see it a few months beforehand (how do I go from 15/20 in one area to 16-17?).

As for the day, it worked really well. A couple of quid would help no doubt to pay towards the high quality awards,etc (which I've heard from some even the certificates are particularly well thought of/treasured!) and anything else that needs doing. Better catering facilities would be good for example. I know that Maelstrom can get food in as they did it for Demon Day, but I have no idea how much that would cost!

The only other problem I could think of was that there wasn't time for both seminars, so maybe be a bit tighter on timings. Can't speak on behalf of the judges, but it seemed like at one stage they had to go off and do categories on their own fairly quickly, possibly leading to bits being missed. Again, you'd be best off speaking to those involved to see if things could/need sorting in that area.

bigchief
15-08-2012, 06:43 PM
I liked it, was a very relaxed atmosphere. No problem paying a token fee for entrance if you decide to move somewhere that would allow traders. Seminars are not something I would be fussed by but mo of the tutorials would be great. Perhaps a little ore structured to fit to timings so that one doesn't get missed out next time (can't knock tommies tutorial, it was great but wanted to do Johns too). If you have enough people attending could maybe run each one twice on the day at the same times to allow people to do one or both as required.

The shop was disappointing this year, not bad but far from brilliant. I think the best way to get more people along is to get some of the larger traders attending.

phatkid1966
15-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I felt the event was fantastic and the lack of stock at Maelstrom not really an issue. For me tbh I would much rather see Wamps own stock at the event. You can shop at Maelstrom any time but when was the last time we saw Orki sculpts or Brett's t-shirts up close. It would only help out our own community and that would attract me there on its own. I honestly felt the day was brilliant and to that end I wish many more had turned up to witness it! Perhaps a gaming element would draw additional people (a mini tourney). An entrance fee would not put me off at all and 3-5.00 would represent fantastic value if you thought about how much it might cost to hire Tommie for a couple of hours tutelage! The only down side for me was the train service but that's another story lol

Iacton
16-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Good day for me. Regarding the fee, perhaps it could be an idea to charge a nominal fee per entry? Wouldn't want to deter entries, but equally wouldn't want to put off the casual visitor... (just a thought ;) )

Sparks
16-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Good idea. Would give the judges more time to view the entries and prevent people 'just bulking up the numbers' of which I was completely guilty!

shanerozzell
16-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Scott and Adam have a very good point. The South Cheshire Millitaire (The show I have been to most) is a massive show, 15-20 odd traders, hundreds of people through the door on the day and taking up one massive sports hall size room and another School hall sized one, it's been going 25 years. They charge 4 to get in and 50p per entry. The standard of the figures contest is pretty high and most entries are military. I reckon them have maybe 30 or 40 entries in all the figure cats combined.

With these guys a club can get a table for free, allocated on a first come first served basis and the club can do what it wants on it, demo's, displays etc, anything but trade. Traders have to pay for a pitch and the amount goes up by every six foot table the want, there is an extra fee is the trader or club needs an electricity point, think it's about 5. Gets complicated but the sooner you start advertising for traders the sooner you'll fill the spots and have some sponds for prizes etc.

Undave
16-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I'd be wary of charging per entry until the overall number starts to reach the top end of what's managable and even then I'd simply limit the number of entries allowed before charging for them. The last thing you want to do at the moment is to put people off entering all their stuff. If they're anything like me they wouldn't begrudge the entry fee but with no chance of winning they won't bother shelling out to put minis in the competition.

phatkid1966
16-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Yes I would m8! Lol

Darklord
16-08-2012, 10:30 PM
thanks for all the feedback guys its really appreciated and helps make things better.

I think taking stock I will look to push the event on to something more. I have some ideas for this and one of the main things I will look at putting in place will be an organising committee so I can delegate a little!! If anyone is interested in helping out with that let me know.

Some tweaks to the judging have already been discussed to make the process a little quicker and to refine the scoring system - certainly not resting on our laurels!

keep the feedback coming and any ideas for next year

thanks folks

anton
17-08-2012, 02:07 AM
as this was my first WAMP I was quite impressed with the relaxed flow of the day, no problems checking in and plonking my bits down, the only feedback to consider would be..

One entry per cat, makes it easier for the judges to do there job and forces yourself as an individual to pick you "best" work

having a backdrop for the models some of the pictures that I took were unbalanced as the sun was shining (and thats rare in the UK!)

Name badges? I've no idea who any one was but I talked to a fair few people about random stuff!

Iacton
17-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Part of the point of using an open format for judging is to encourage more than one entry in categories. That way, if you like doing busts, or cavalry, or only ladies with their boobs out, then you don't have to pick only one thing to enter.

Personally, I think it's much more egalitarian, and encourages people to paint what they like, rather than conform to specific rules criteria. :redface:

Darklord
17-08-2012, 10:28 AM
maybe down the line I would look at limiting the number of entries you could make per category but for now I want to encourage the numbers.

Next year will most likely see a split judging system where there would be a cut off point say 1 hour after registration opens. At this point the judges would begin scoring all those entries received up until that time. Any entries registered after that cut off point would then be put into a seperate pool. This second pool would be judged once the first pool had been done. This way the judging can begin alongside the entries coming in.

An increase in judging numbers will most likely be put in place as well.

Endor
18-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Feedback time! Some has been mentioned already, but so what.

Good stuff:
- Very open and friendly atmosphere, wampers are just as great irl as online!
- A social get-together for food/drinks after the event for those who could! (DL is a lot more friendly than his avatar.)
- Good contest with reknowned and well qualified judges
- Thorough scoring on all entries
- Great contest trophies
- Theme activities: Speed painting - fun and informal
- Theme activity: Painting faces tutorial - very good, these kind of tutorials really increase the event value, one of the highlights of the day for me
- Theme activity: Weathering tutorial - good plan, too bad there was no time for it.

Improvement stuff:
- Has been mentioned, but get together an event committee so the DLs don't have to run around doing everything
- Good shopping opportunities must be possible at the event - unfortunate that Maelstrom was moving stock, they had very limited stuff compared to last year when I was there.
- Traders would be great, would be good for showing off lots of mini goodies and the variety that exists in the hobby, also wamps own store should be present.
- Has also been mentioned, but there should be an entry fee. Maybe 5? I don't know how this goes down in your parts, but the tutorial session alone was a bargain for 5. Need to find a balance, as more funds and a committee would make it easier to organize a bigger event with more tutes and stuff going on, but it should still not be so much as to scare off casual visitors
- I think there were not many people at the event, maybe 30-50? This is good for making it a friendly event where you get a reasonably good overview and get to say hello to a lot of people ( I was too engrossed in the painting to get to say hello to very many, though..), but a bigger event would probably attract even more entries for the comp and it would be easier to get traders along. Given Wamp has 2000+ members, admittedly quite a few outside UK, I would have expected more people there at the yearly event.
- Change of venue could be good, you'd just have to consider what location would bring the most Wampers and traders. Coming from overseas, location isn't a big deal, but closer to London would be easier. Nottingham would be good as well, for that matter. Why not put up some ideas on location etc and make a poll thread?
- On the poll thread note, you could do this for entry fee, contest fee, location, workshops, timing, shopping etc etc. Would be a good way to gauge what people would want the most.
- And there must be food available! I almost starved at the event...
- What else? Could be cool to see a 45 min session/presentation by a Golden Demon winner (or similar). He or she could go through the competition piece from planning, colour choice, techniques used etc. Insight into this process would be very interesting, and I would be sure to learn a lot.

If I have more ideas, I'll throw them at you later :)

Darklord
20-08-2012, 01:35 PM
would anyone be interested in joining a small organising committee for next year?
I want to get a few people on board to bounce ideas of, maybe do a little research etc,

shanerozzell
20-08-2012, 01:42 PM
I have already said yes and am eager to crack on. What research do you need starting?

Sparks
20-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Happy to, just send me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

Undave
20-08-2012, 01:51 PM
I have nothing better to do and I'm more than happy to help out.

phatkid1966
20-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Also happy to get involved. (I'm not sure what you have in mind but I retain the rights to my soul);)

Darklord
20-08-2012, 03:22 PM
ill set up a little place for us to get together

Halestorm
20-08-2012, 03:26 PM
I offered my assistance while we were having drinkies, still stands mate, let me know what you need :)

Iain.