PDA

View Full Version : Wamp2012

Darklord
26-01-2012, 11:57 AM

I have great pleasure in announcing that the Wamp live event will return for its second year.

WAMP2012 will be held on the Saturday 11th August 2012 @ maelstrom Games, Mansfield, UK.

The event will focus around the painting contest but will also feature practical painting help and demonstrations, a speed paint contest and more.

More details of the events will be announced in due course.

(the date has been changed from the advertised 18th August in Portal 18. The event was moved to prevent it clashing with GD Germany and Scott's wedding anniversary)

The painting contest will feature several categories and is loosely based upon the open style judging system. Along with category winners and a best in show, EVERY entry will be assessed by a panel of top judges and receive a score. Each entry that achieves a high enough score will receive a Gold, Silver or Bronze certificate.

Any entry will be eligible, as long as it wasn't entered in WAMP2011.

Entry will once again be free for everyone.

If you are interested in helping out in anyway feel free to contact me.

Last year was great fun and the contest received good feedback both on the standard of entries but also on the judging and prizes. Lets make this year even better. It's a great way to meet fellow Wampers and seeing others work in real life is the best way to really appreciate their talents. Set just before the German and Uk Golden Demons this is a good chance to bring your entries along and get some last minute help and advice from some of the best painters in the UK.

lizcam
27-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Hey DL, would you mind if I showed up for this one?

Darklord
27-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Hey DL, would you mind if I showed up for this one?

Hell no Girlfriend!

Even treat you to a Malibu and Milk in Nottingham afters then dancing the night away with Nigel (unless he gets barred again for me lifting him up)

lizcam
27-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Lol! Will I need to give you a shoe?

Darklord
27-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Lol! Will I need to give you a shoe?

Just the tongue

lizcam
27-01-2012, 11:05 PM
That'll not be a problem. I'm kind of attached to it. Unfortunatly it leads me around quite often and gets me into situations I'd rather not be in.

Captain Sprout
27-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Nice, a Liz personal appearance!

Endor
12-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Just came across this one, should it not also be in the calendar?
And while I am at it, is there anything social (i.e.beers etc) on the agenda after the event? If yes, I gather it is best to stay in Nottingham and not in Mansfield?

Just wondering, in case me and a couple of mates manage to convince the wives we should take the trip from Norway for the event.

Cheers

Darklord
12-04-2012, 05:05 PM
And while I am at it, is there anything social (i.e.beers etc) on the agenda after the event? If yes, I gather it is best to stay in Nottingham and not in Mansfield?

Just wondering, in case me and a couple of mates manage to convince the wives we should take the trip from Norway for the event.

Cheers

Oh most certainly!!!

Theres a group of us that like to partake in drinking at these events (up till 3am drinking the morning of one GD!!)

The event is purposefully held on Saturday so we can go out AFTER the event rather than suffering from hangovers!!
Staying in Nottingham yeah, Holiday Inn Express is handy as is the other two across the road (cant remember what they are called)
plenty of drinking! Think Liz is trying to make it over from the US if she can so special guest!!

Endor
12-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Sounds good :)

It would be good fun to attend this year, and the timing is actually not bad as it's not in June like last year.

Time to hone the negotiation skills!

Darklord
12-04-2012, 05:44 PM
go for it mate, theres a Bar/Restaraunt on site or they can shop in Notts. Plenty of other ladies there (and my mrs0 and if they are really lucky they may get to meet Nige

Lyn
12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Aww man that sounds so fun!! =)

thorinwhitewolf
23-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Bret I would like to come up to that one as the last one was a platoon meet I went there so that would be ace. And if I'm really lucky I will be able to drag the mrs up to if I can get her to catch the painting virus.

warhammergrimace
23-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Ahhh, it's in August, bugger not sure yet if I can make it....the plan is to go to china in August, will have to wait until we're closer to the date to be sure if I can attend.....

Darklord
23-04-2012, 11:50 AM
hope you can make it lads.

Just confirmed this years judges and categories.
I will announce them shortly

Endor
25-04-2012, 11:57 PM
As long as you don't move the date now, I'll be happy..

A mate and I have already booked flights, with a bit of luck we'll be able to persuade my wife's sister she needs to let her man go for the week-end as well :smile:

Looking forward to a great event!

Darklord
26-04-2012, 12:13 AM
nice one Endor, really appreciate your commitment, dont forget to bring lots of minis with you!

Endor
26-04-2012, 07:21 AM
We'll be travelling light, so probably not lots, but can certainly fit in a few. I do however plan to bring more models from the event than to it :wink:
I trust there will be plenty shopping opportunities in addition to the already quite good shop on site!

warhammergrimace
26-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Well if Liz is going to make an appearance, then I can drg my sorry sexy butt up to Nottingham/Mansfield for the show.

Darklord
26-04-2012, 08:23 AM
We'll be travelling light, so probably not lots, but can certainly fit in a few. I do however plan to bring more models from the event than to it :wink:
I trust there will be plenty shopping opportunities in addition to the already quite good shop on site!

theres no traders on the day but Maelstrom is a good store, theres always Warhammer World in Nottingham too

Endor
26-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Ah, would be good too see some of Martyn's plinths etc, so maybe there could be a black market in addition to the store ;-)

Anyway, the store is quite good on site as I learnt last year. Btw, the latest persuasion efforts paid off, so my brother-in-law will join us as well :-)

Darklord
26-04-2012, 01:12 PM
not sure if Martyn's going but I am sure something discreet could be sorted between you too out the back!

Orki
26-04-2012, 01:22 PM
If only public transport wasn't so absurdly expensive to get up there, i'd really like to come along. :(

Darklord
26-04-2012, 01:26 PM
If only public transport wasn't so absurdly expensive to get up there, i'd really like to come along. :(

car pool? where are you?

Orki
26-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah that's a possibility... if anyone would have me.

Cambridge is the closest known civilisation to where I live.

Darklord
26-04-2012, 01:42 PM
pretty sure theres some folks over that way

Endor
26-04-2012, 02:10 PM
@ Orki: We'll be driving from Stansted airport Friday 10th to either Mansfield or Nottingham to warm up with a few pints before the Event on Saturday. As Cambridge is practically on the way for us, we'll be happy to give you a ride. Hey, we'll probably buy you a few pints as well if you don't mind the company of nordic raiders, although you'd have to sort accommodation.

@DL: I guess there will be a painting corner where we can paint and get some tips etc from the masters?

Darklord
26-04-2012, 02:41 PM
sure will be mate, there will be a few folks offering some workshops and plenty just to chat with, its amazing how much help that can be. plus all the entries will receive scoring cards and the judges are happy to chat with you about you entries afterwards

MaGie
04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to meet you all. So I'm seriously considering to join this lovely day, provided I can combine it with a short UK trip ;)

Sparks
04-05-2012, 08:05 PM
It looks like I'm probably not coming back to defend my crown at the moment in the Monster category. Will keep my fingers crossed though, as not only do I know a lot more of you in real life (I owe you a pint Endor!) but also want to get more focused feedback (something I didn't quite manage on the day last time around) from quality judges.

Orki- I'm fairly sure from Norwich you can get there for under 20, so I can't see Cambridge would be any more? You have to leave pretty early though. It was 6 each way last year, well worth it!

Captain Sprout
04-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I am going North from MK and willing to offer a lift (one day trip) if anyone wants one in the vague area.

On the Martyn's plinths I have bought them out of his car at Maelstrom..like a drug deal but for resin!

Undave
04-05-2012, 10:03 PM
That's casting resin by the way not any other kinds :wink:

http://www.msaltd.co.uk/getattachment/51ae3b80-8467-45e3-955a-fbccb0c3f44e/The-Comparison-of-Cannabis-Resin-and-Packaging.aspx

Darklord
05-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Would explain the price if finecast!

Endor
10-05-2012, 07:18 AM
A resin fix out of the boot of a car in a run-down parking-lot in Mansfield, now there's a pretty picture :lol:
Looking forward to the event, meeting other resin addicts and get some more input and ideas that will keep my painting habits going. Hope to see you there as well Adam, would be good to see some of the models up close

Darklord
10-05-2012, 10:29 AM
I will hopefully have the painting categories an judges announced soon

Darklord
16-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Categories,judges and prizes have now been announced:

Categories (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showthread.php?12277-WAMP2012-Categories&p=177733#post177733)

Sparks
26-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Will postal entries count? :P

Currently looking at moving a holiday around to come, but it's not looking likely!

italaerei
29-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Get fun for me, guys and ladies. You can keep all the ale and tea for you, just save some Coke for me!!!!

Chameleon
30-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Gah, only just spotted this clashes with GD germany on 12th Aug. I think I've got my heart set on Germany now so will have to give this one a miss this year :frown:.

And I was so looking forward to some more magic moments on the night out afterwards - a certain hen party sticker always springs to mind when I think of that night...

Darklord
30-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Gah, only just spotted this clashes with GD germany on 12th Aug. I think I've got my heart set on Germany now so will have to give this one a miss this year :frown:.

And I was so looking forward to some more magic moments on the night out afterwards - a certain hen party sticker always springs to mind when I think of that night...

yeah not sure what happened - we were originally in for the week after but I moved the event as I was told GD Germany was on the 18th but that seems to have moved as well!

Endor
30-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Well, don't you go moving dates now..

Sparks
30-05-2012, 11:44 PM
No, cos I'm coming too! The pint debt shall be repaid!

Darklord
31-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Just to warn you that the wife will be with me!!

I will be looking for a couple of volunteers if anyone would like to help out drop me a line

Sparks
31-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I can't get there much before 11, but happy to help with registration again if needs be. Anything else, shoot me a PM.

Endor
03-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi Brett, the Norwegian delegation has planned a visit to WH world before rushing to Maelstrom Games to enter some contest pieces for the fun of it. We'll probably be there around 11:30. Besides painting and getting tips from the masters and having fun, we don't really have a lot of plans - so what do you need help with? Drinks after the event?

@sparks: coming out for a few or more pints in Nottingham after the event?

Sparks
04-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Not sure, think I have to get the last train back which is quite early. I have a mate who lives in Nottingham, so might be able to arrange something. Will start the negotiations,otherwise it'll just be a quick one at the end of the day like the Golem day out.

Darklord
04-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi Brett, the Norwegian delegation has planned a visit to WH world before rushing to Maelstrom Games to enter some contest pieces for the fun of it. We'll probably be there around 11:30. Besides painting and getting tips from the masters and having fun, we don't really have a lot of plans - so what do you need help with? Drinks after the event?

@sparks: coming out for a few or more pints in Nottingham after the event?

just someone for registration then for helping with the speed paint.

Endor
04-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Helping out with registration might be tough considering our arrival.
For other things, I'll happily give you a hand where it's needed as long as I get enough time to paint, learn something new and chat about the hobby with fellow wampers :wink:

...and shop more minis...

Darklord
07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
thats ok mate, you have a long trip so make the most of it!!

Undave
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't mind helping out if you need a hand. I spent most of last year fetching and carrying for Martins photo tent.

Sparks
08-06-2012, 12:59 AM
So the will I won't I saga has been decided. A completely unknown person to me is having a wedding, and as a +1 I have to go. On the 11th. Bugger.

Darklord
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
So the will I won't I saga has been decided. A completely unknown person to me is having a wedding, and as a +1 I have to go. On the 11th. Bugger.

But your the guest of Honor - show her who's boss!!

Sparks
08-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Lol! I am working on possible train times. The wedding event starts at 7:30pm. Train into Boston (where I need to be) arrives at 7:20. Have suggested I turn up in a suit to Wamp so I don't have to get changed when I arrive :D Still means leaving at quarter past 4 though.

Otherwise I'll have to leave about quarter past three, which means most of the important bits of the event will still not have happened I'd have thought? (like final judging,etc)

Endor
08-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Tough luck Adam, but it's a good excuse to dress up like 007 for the event :smile:

Darklord
08-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Lol! I am working on possible train times. The wedding event starts at 7:30pm. Train into Boston (where I need to be) arrives at 7:20. Have suggested I turn up in a suit to Wamp so I don't have to get changed when I arrive :D Still means leaving at quarter past 4 though.

Otherwise I'll have to leave about quarter past three, which means most of the important bits of the event will still not have happened I'd have thought? (like final judging,etc)

may have, The plan is to start judging earlier though I couldn't promise. Think you should come along mate, you need to defend your banelegions crown!

Darklord
19-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Just booked our hotel room for the evening. Staying at the Park Plaza Nottingham, though there are several others nearby and some cheaper. (If you use booking.com its a fair bit cheaper than most other sites. I saved about 30 compared to laterooms!

Darklord
21-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Found some pics of last years trophies - will give you an idea of what you can win. The small ones are about 4 inches tall and they are heavy!!

Sparks
22-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Scott had a fair bit of kit to take back by the end of the day! Negotiations have gone very well. I'm now driving, so can wake up at a sociable hour and can leave about 5 o clock, woop! See you all there!

Orki
22-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Does anyone that's driving fancy swinging by Cambridge? :P

I'm pretty sure that petrol monies is far cheaper than the crazy rail prices I would otherwise have to pay, and I know how to make a mean packed lunch! heheh

Darklord
22-06-2012, 07:57 AM
thats good to here Sparks.

Darklord
22-06-2012, 03:50 PM
I have a few more details for you folks:

While the judging is taking place there will be a couple of mini workshops running.

Weathering and Pigments with John Keys: Wamp's very own Megazord_Man will be showing you how to achieve great effects using pigments and putting these into play with other weathering techniques.

Painting Faces with Tommie Soule: Golem are renowned for their hugely successful paint weekends and Tommie will be on hand to show you how to get the most from your miniatures mug.

Both workshops will run for approximately an hour and will take place at different times allowing you to venture to both if you wish. Both are completely free (like the rest of WAMP2012) and miniatures and materials will be provided (though you are welcome to bring your own brushes along if you wish).

Speed Painting
Also taking place in the afternoon will be a speed painting contest with a prize for the winner. Again miniatures and materials will be supplied. More details of the Speed paint will be made available in due course.

Darklord
05-07-2012, 12:36 PM
It's coming folks!!

http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/images/WAMP2012-A4-Poster.jpg

Darklord
05-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I would really appreciate it if any of you could help spread the word about the event. If any of you use other forums, have your own sites or blogs, even facebook and twitter. it would be great if you could give the event a mention or maybe even pop up the poster above.

You can link back to the event using this: www.wampforum.com/WAMP2012

If some of you are even more awesome and you know of somewhere you could pop a few flyers (Local game shops etc) that would be fantastic.

Below is a flyer to print if you could and pop in your local game store or club that would be fantastic.

WAMP2012 Flyer (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/images/WAMP2012%20Flyer.pdf)

Please try and help spread the word folks, even if your not in the UK. I put a lot into this event and if we can build it even more it means I can do even more next year which helps Wamp as a whole.

Please please please get linking, tweeting and liking and help us out!

TheUrbanSurfer
06-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Am I being really stupid - but is this event free to attend?

shanerozzell
06-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Am I being really stupid - but is this event free to attend?

No you're not and yes it is, completely free.

TheUrbanSurfer
06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Excellent - thank you shanerozzell.

Now, what to paint...?

Darklord
06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Excellent - thank you shanerozzell.

Now, what to paint...?

Your quite welcome to bring existing miniatures too, only thing barred is entries that won at WAMP2011.

In fact I encourage you all to bring as many as you can - the more entries the better. We had 99 last year hope we can beat that

Vern
06-07-2012, 02:19 PM
I've a put a link to it on my blog - whatsoever that's worth ;)

Darklord
06-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I've a put a link to it on my blog - whatsoever that's worth ;)

Thanks Vern, much appreciated mate

Endor
07-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Just booked our hotel room for the evening. Staying at the Park Plaza Nottingham, though there are several others nearby and some cheaper. (If you use booking.com its a fair bit cheaper than most other sites. I saved about £30 compared to laterooms!

Hi there, the 2,5 Norwegians and 0,5 Englishman coming from Norway for the event will be staying at the Holiday Inn, Castle Bridge Road in Notts. Doesn't seem to be very far from Park Plaza, so should be easy to get together for dinner and drinks after the event. If the foreign raiders are welcome, that is..

Btw we should have space in the car from Mansfield to Nottingham after the event if anyone needs a lift. 1-2 persons depending on body mass ;)

ArkMechanicus
07-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi there, the 2,5 Norwegians and 0,5 Englishman coming from Norway for the event will be staying at the Holiday Inn, Castle Bridge Road in Notts. Doesn't seem to be very far from Park Plaza, so should be easy to get together for dinner and drinks after the event. If the foreign raiders are welcome, that is..

Btw we should have space in the car from Mansfield to Nottingham after the event if anyone needs a lift. 1-2 persons depending on body mass ;)

That hotel is pretty sound, stayed there before for events are WHW. Not sure what my arragements are yet.

Halestorm
10-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Well ill will definately be there for this as i have just booked my hotel room.

Ill be staying at the Permier Inn, Castle Marina, got breakfast booked as well :0

Really looking forward to this, got painting well and truly started as well :)

Iain..

Darklord
10-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Well ill will definately be there for this as i have just booked my hotel room.

Ill be staying at the Permier Inn, Castle Marina, got breakfast booked as well :0

Really looking forward to this, got painting well and truly started as well :)

Iain..

Good man! Another night out in Nottingham with The Halestorm - should be fun!

Darklord
13-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Less than a month to go folks

MaGie
16-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Well... in the end I decided not to come over to WAMP. Yes, I know, I will probably regret that for the whole year!

After spending a lot of time searching for flight options, the cheapest alternatives are just too expensive for a trip over. If I had been able to combine it with a longer UK trip I would've done it, but unfortunately I have no travel companion for that week...

Shoot me now! I really wanted to come :(

Darklord
16-07-2012, 12:31 PM
thats a real shame Magie, was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next year

TheUrbanSurfer
19-07-2012, 11:33 PM
OK - getting pretty excited about this. Painting is just great fun and a huge part of my life. I really enjoy painting especially for other people - seeing their reactions is superb.

Darklord
19-07-2012, 11:35 PM
OK - getting pretty excited about this. Painting is just great fun and a huge part of my life. I really enjoy painting especially for other people - seeing their reactions is superb.

good to hear mate. Tell yer friends!! Or even better bring them along, the more the merrier

phatkid1966
28-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Only two weeks to this event! Im travelling in the morning but I know some of you favour the hung over option ;) So who is going and who is getting excited? Anyone selling thier wares there? Will there be a bring and buy stall with a % going to Wamp? I am just getting very excited about meeting some of you guys and hopefully seeing some of your work close up and in detail. Did I mention i am excited!!!

shanerozzell
28-07-2012, 09:00 PM
No stalls unfortunately just a day with plenty of painting action, demos, a contest and a ton of great minis to gander at. Maelstrom's shop is always pretty well stocked and last year they had a sneaky release of BaneLegion stuff just for us.

phatkid1966
28-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Thats not a bad thing I imagine the stalls would provide a distraction. I do want to chat with everyone about the cost of the event etc. I was talking with the staff at Firsstorm and thinking about the possibility of an event in Cardiff considering Wales should be on the mini painting map. I know we have some amazing painters and it would be nice to get them together. Of course initially we would need other painters to come from all over to ensure it is a success. I need to chat with Martin, hes so well connected that in my view any Wales event should start with him.(not sure about his thoughts on it yet though *grin). Firestorm have already agreed to host an event should it be requested and the venue is perfect.

Darklord
06-08-2012, 06:21 PM
just picked up the certificates. Very nice (well I think so!) No expense spared on them, so get along and win yourself one!

phatkid1966
06-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Can I get one for turning up or failing that is there an egg and spoon race?

Darklord
06-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Can I get one for turning up or failing that is there an egg and spoon race?

Theres speed painting 0 if you want to use an egg and spoon in it your welcome too

Darklord
08-08-2012, 01:29 PM
been a struggle but after several days of stress I am pleased to announce Mrs Darklord has sorted new shoes for the night out!

Iacton
08-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Shame I'll miss the night out, but looking forward to the day :)

Darklord
08-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Shame I'll miss the night out, but looking forward to the day :)

Did you rope Gazza in?

Darklord
08-08-2012, 02:15 PM
For anyone attending. if you intend on entering the speed painting or taking part in the painting workshop if you can bring your brushes with you that would be great. I will have some spares on the day but not loads!

Iacton
08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Did you rope Gazza in?

No. He's going on a long weekend away from things. His daughter is away and work's been getting to him, so he's going off to Surrey somewhere...

Darklord
08-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Heres the planned schedule for the day (though it will probably be as organised as a Muppets show!!

10am Doors Open
11am Painting Contest Registration begins
12pm Painting Contest Registration Closes
12.15pm Speed Painting Begins (may split into 2 seperate rounds)
1pm Golem Painting Workshop 'painting faces with Tommie Soule'
2pm John Keys Workshop 'Weathering and Pigments'
3pm Awards Ceremony
7pm Drinkies in Nottingham!!

Endor
08-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Heres the planned schedule for the day (though it will probably be as organised as a Muppets show!!

10am Doors Open
11am Painting Contest Registration begins
12pm Painting Contest Registration Closes
12.15pm Speed Painting Begins (may split into 2 seperate rounds)
1pm Golem Painting Workshop 'painting faces with Tommie Soule'
2pm John Keys Workshop 'Weathering and Pigments'
3pm Awards Ceremony
7pm Drinkies in Nottingham!!

Great plan, looking forward to the muppets :)

As we'll try to get some shopping in wh world done prior to our hopefully timely appearance in Mansfield, do you think it will be sufficient to leave wh world around 11:15 and still be able to get some minis entered for the comp? Or am I being an optimist here..?

Sparks
08-08-2012, 08:41 PM
So, my day should be shaping up like this...

10:00 am- arrive late, flustered and carrying way more stuff than I need for the day. Start fixing broken models.
10:30 am- continue to finish the last few tweaks on my banelegions entry
11:00 am- try and finish the minotaur whilst registering models...
11:55 am- register my models!
12:00 pm- sit back and relax, possibly get caffeine fix for speed painting
12:15 pm- paint like a demon and hope that it's a funky model.
1:00 pm- start squirming around the judges to see if they like all of the models
1:10 pm - realise I've missed the golem lesson and they've churned out an amazing face in about 5 minutes :(
1:30 pm - more caffeine, a quick look around the shop downstairs
2:00 pm - have a good snoop around everyone else's minis
3:00 pm - who knows....
5:00 pm - make my excuses and goodbyes and wish everyone a great night out!

NeatPete
08-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Have a great time everyone! I'll be thinking about you all on Saturday. Wish I could be there to meet you all in person and enjoy in the awesome with you. Have a fun WAMP!

Darklord
08-08-2012, 09:33 PM
@Endor its roughly 30 minutes driving from WW to Maesltrom so its tight but to be honest those times are guide times, it wont be a case of a buzzer goes at 12 and all remaining people are sent down a trap door to a piranha pit! So you should be fine mate

@Sparks wanna swap itineraries?!!

@Neatpete, thanks mate, hope the honeymoon is going well :kiss:

Sparks
08-08-2012, 09:46 PM
@DL - seriously, I'll be getting there about half ten, maybe a little earlier if I need the extra time to paint bits. Anything you need beyond the registry help?

shanerozzell
08-08-2012, 09:58 PM
I should be getting there about 9:30-10:00, got to set up the camera & projector plus the sound equipment and get a touch of maelstrom shopping in :biggrin:

Darklord
08-08-2012, 10:27 PM
@DL - seriously, I'll be getting there about half ten, maybe a little earlier if I need the extra time to paint bits. Anything you need beyond the registry help?

dont think so mate. registration is going electronic this year so should be easier!

Just to clarify on entries folks, they dont have to be new work like in the on-line contests. the only exceptions are entries that won last year. So bring along some of your older stuff and help us get a decent amount of entries to show off. Any manufacturer,genre,scale. It can be single figures, units, dioramas, duels, vehicle, busts, flats, anything mini related

bigchief
08-08-2012, 11:27 PM
For anyone attending. if you intend on entering the speed painting or taking part in the painting workshop if you can bring your brushes with you that would be great. I will have some spares on the day but not loads!

I asked this over on PB but think you've answered it. Only need to being some brushes for the speed paint/tutorials?

Also is it worth bring any other gear for a paint session if it's quiet in the afternoon?

For people who've not shopped at Maelstrom before, they don't stock everything from the website in the shop but are more than willing to fetch it for you from the warehouse so worth having a look online before hand. Also I think they do a 10% discount on event days but don't quote me on that one ;)

Darklord
08-08-2012, 11:30 PM
yeah bring your own brushes if possible and theres room to sit and paint if you want to mate.

I think the maelstrom discount is 15% but dont quote me on it

Undave
09-08-2012, 01:12 AM
The discount does vary depending on the range and I think they're in the process of moving the mail order warehouse stock to another site so they may not have absolutely everything. The majority of things are showing as "order in" on the website as a consequence but it shouldn't affect the shop stock.

Darklord
09-08-2012, 02:54 PM
trophies just arrived. Look very nice. Same as last year except these are a blue colour rather than black. The Best In show still weighs more than my first born did!

Sparks
09-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Sweet! The other half's only just figured out that the event I'm going to this year is the one I brought trophies back from last year...

DL - having a bit of a clearout at home, would you mind/do you think Maelstrom would mind if I brought along a couple of bits boxes for people to have a rummage through and see if there's anything they want?

phatkid1966
09-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Would be great even if they do mind you could keep them in the car boot :)

Undave
09-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Did someone say the magic words?

I love rummaging in other people's bitz boxes :jiggy:

Darklord
09-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Did someone say the magic words?

I love rummaging in other people's bitz boxes :jiggy:

Me too but I usually get slapped!!

@Sparks, I think that would be fine as long as your not stood in the shop with a loud hailer and sandwich board!

Endor
09-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Yep, bring the boxes, rummaging is good.

And will Martyn or anyone bring a few plinths? I need a couple of those.

Wouldn't mind a trophy either, they sound great, maybe that could be a long term goal :)

Darklord
10-08-2012, 12:01 AM
And will Martyn or anyone bring a few plinths? I need a couple of those.

Martyn isnt coming (show elsewhere)

If anyone wants to put in an order for the Wampstore I can bring it with me and save postage. Be quick though, you only have until tomorrow dinner as I will be leaving then.

Sparks
10-08-2012, 12:09 AM
@Endor- hope you're not flying with Ryanair, might not be allowed back with the weight limit of one of those trophies!

Darklord
10-08-2012, 12:19 AM
@Endor- hope you're not flying with Ryanair, might not be allowed back with the weight limit of one of those trophies!

especially the best in show!

is anyone travelling up from the Wolverhampton/Birmingham area that could offer a lift to someone? If so could you pm me. Dont worry its for a house trained dude

Iacton
10-08-2012, 12:52 PM
So, my day should be shaping up like this...

10:00 am-ish - arrive mostly deaf from noisy van.
10:30 am-ish - bore my second "victim" how knackering being a new dad is, etc...
11:00 am-ish (until end of day) - start forgetting names [I am just getting AWFUL at remembering names!]
11:55 am-ish - start thinking about having a beer
12:00 pm-ish - sit back and relax, hopefully with aforementioned beer
12:15 pm-til 2:45 pm-ish - look at lots of minis and doing judgy stuff. Possibly eat something high calorie.
5:00 pm-ish - (jealously) wish everyone a great night out then head back in the tin can to hopefully see the little man and Mrs before he/they go to bed!

blackgloveblackgloveblackgloveblackgloveblackglove

Demonn
10-08-2012, 01:03 PM
seeing how many of you guys are going, although being new to this forum, I'm a bit jealous I'm not going. Hopefully someday, although it's a long hike from Croatia..

Have fun, guys! and take a lot of pics for the rest of us who won't be there!

NeatPete
10-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Almost there... Have a blast ladies and gents!

Sparks
10-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Models not quite done? Check. Boot full of loot? Check. Girlfriend at the end of her patience? Check!

Anyway, just realised I'll be bringing three bits boxes tomorrow, would quite like it if they didn't make the journey home ;) (if people want to make offers on the day, please feel free!)

phatkid1966
10-08-2012, 08:12 PM
wont arrive till about 11.00, save some for me lol

shanerozzell
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Well I have laptop ready, camera ready, projector ready, sound equipment ready, Tripod, Lights and lightcube, ready, spare batteries sorted; something missing. Oh yeah pack miniatures!

TheUrbanSurfer
11-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Oh no! Just had a casaulty. Am now attempting to greenstuff a horn...

Cake
11-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi everyone. It was really great to meet everyone today at a really relaxed event. I can't believe I managed to paint a model in only 30 mins. Some fantastic entries in the comp - thanks for letting me join in and for being so friendly.

TheUrbanSurfer
11-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Many thanks to everyone! Had a great day - am now going to find some figures to practice my faces on.
(Big thanks to Brett and Mrs Darklord for a superb event and also huge shout to Tommie Soule)
Loved all the really cool entries.

Undave
11-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Am now attempting to greenstuff a horn...

Said the bishop to the actress...

bigchief
11-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Great day, thanks to everyone that helped organise it. Really enjoyed it, was a lovely relaxed day :)

Was about to say I hope someone is taking photos on the night out but actually I hope not :p

shanerozzell
11-08-2012, 09:47 PM
I got in about an hour and half ago, just had my tea and and fired up the computer. I'm knackered but had a really good day. Undave was a star, if I had a pith helmet I'd raise to you mate he did an excellent job with his camera. It was superb to meet friends old and new and I'd also like to thank OGL and his missus for their hard work and the judges, who again made the painting contest bloody hard. Bagged me a few certificates including a silver which I'm really over the moon about. The judging is extremely tough at WAMP so those of us who got a cert can be very proud and if anyone wants to test their metal then this is the contest to do it.

Tommie... What can I say, legend! what I thought was going to be a small sbs turned into something epic.

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone else who came and made it a really good day.

Thanks guys!

Undave
11-08-2012, 09:50 PM
I just hope my poor little camera (and even poorer camera skills) do the minis justice.

I got to put paint on Tommie Soule's legendary chopper :eek::biggrin:

warhammergrimace
11-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Glad you all had good day, sorry I couldn't make it....will be at GD this year....

Captain Sprout
11-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Sorry to have missed it this year, always another year to come! Sadly had to work this weekend after it was moved.

Hope everyone had a great time.

Undave
12-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Twas a day of ups and downs to be honest. I had hoped to see Mr. Keys' weathering tutorial but Tommie's face painting was top notch and I got some insight into techniques that I won't just be trying on faces. I didn't win anything in the comp (of course I didn't expect to) but I did get some useful feedback from Scott.

The biggest flop was by far the shop, I know they are currently moving the stuff to a bigger warehouse and GW are being rather draconian about their orders but there was hardly anything there. In the end I bought a single bottle of Vallejo German Uniform for 1.80 which, after Brett's kind reimbursal of the demo figures I gave him, allowed me to use my cashback accumulated from previous orders. I came away with 58p more than I went in with which is certainly something that's never happened before!

Anyway... here's to next year :biggrin:

anton
12-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Hi guys, a big thank you to dark lord and all the guys and girls involved, the standard of painting was superb and the atmosphere was nice and chilled,

Cheers Ant

megazord_man
12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for a great day yesterday. It was really enjoyable meeting new and old friends, finally I can say that I have meet Brett, Mrs Brett, Shane, boris, undave (but we didn't get chance to chat), Thunderbelle and many others. There was many many beautiful minis on show which is a testament to wampers.

I was asked about the flowers on my misfits group, they're from miniNatur and are called tufts with blossoms summer. I got them from MDP but couldn't see them on the website when I just looked.

Lastly many thanks for the people choice award, it was very warmly received, thank you.

Sparks
12-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Well done John, it was well deserved!

A good (if slightly frantic from a personal point of view) day all round I think! Glad to see lots of people go home happy after nabbing a few bits, and it was great to see a lot of familiar faces. Well done to the judges, some difficult decisions to be made and a large number of entries to work your way through. I wish I'd had more time to get some feedback on particular pieces, but I'm amazed that I came away with two silvers and everything else got bronzes, a big improvement on last year! Certainly means I've got to aim for gold next time.

As to Thunderbellie's stuff, the minute he opened his case I thought 'hang on, there's a few winners being put down here...' and he rightly took most of the plaudits for the afternoon!

Cheers Brett for organising it, there was a bit more involvement this year and I'm sure the event will continue to grow. Not sure what I'll have to pull out of the bag if it doesn't clash with GD Germany or if Scott's back entering next year though :P

RogerB
12-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Sorry I wasn't there, but health got in the way and I'm having to pace my activities to very short bursts at the moment. Glad those that went had a good time.

shanerozzell
12-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Sorry you couldn't come Roger you were missed mate and I hope you manage to come next year :)

deadmeat30
12-08-2012, 05:22 PM
I had a Great day out, excellent entries to the categories, and well deserved winners! Thunderbellie had some well deserved wins! And took my sponsored trophy home with him.

The speed painting was a good laugh, cant believe someone got there base flocked?!!? Although i did alright with a 25mm brush :P.

All in all, an excellent day. Well done Brett for pulling it off with whats happened through the year! and i look forwards to the next one!

Alan

Tommie Soule
12-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Great day I must say! Thanks Brett! See you guy at DAEMON DAY! (http://www.golempaintingstudio.co.uk/events/index.htm)

One of the things I would like to cover for you guys who are coming is 'creating a focal point' or as i like to call it 'frames and features'.

thunderbellie
12-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Hi everyone

Big thanks to Mr & Mrs Darklord for running the event and to all who helped out, also to all those who went. without events like these we would not be able to push the hobby forward and build a community. I had a great time meeting people and being able to put a face to a name/names.

Thanks again & BIG UP to everyone!!

Endor
12-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Hi there!
The Norwegian delegation had a great time - during the day and night :)
Big thanks to The Darklords and everyone who made the event a really nice day. It was great to meet fellow wampers and experience that the wampers are not only a friendly crowd on the forum, but a great crowd in real life as well!

In the end I must say the day just passed way too quickly, I really would have loved to get some expert advice from megazordman on using the andrea skin set, but the 'painting faces' session kind of ate into the timing - maybe next time? That said, the face session was really good, and big Kudos to Tommie for his enthusiasm, energy, humour, funny English words that are hardly in use, and his great teaching skills.

I must also mention it was a highlight to see so many great minis for the contest, getting some feedback from Adam on my Axenarf, seeing Shane's busts irl (great facial expressions) and getting a surprising bronze certificate for my privateer press warjack! Hurrah :D The main comment on it was: mouldlines. What? Have any of you guys ever tried to put together a resin warjack? There must be like a million mouldlines on those pieces. If there are only a few left, it's an achievement in itself :lol:

Going out in Nottingham after the event with Brett, Iain, Toni was a good laugh as well - I thought maybe more people would be coming - but we made up for it by drinking with both hands. Not all of it good - some of it tasted like the smell of sunlotion. Well, we're still alive, and got back safely to Norway in the end.

What else to say? Hope to see you again next year, and that more people will be joining the evening laughs!

Cheers Oyvind

ArkMechanicus
12-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks to all for a great day. Particularly to Brett for organising it all and to Tommie for this epic tutorial and Shane for taking time to give me individual feedback on my entry. A lot of inspiration and information going around! Tommie tutorial was great and I'll see what I can get done in time for this demon day so I'd have something for share good expertise over.

In a couple of ways the day have me confidence in that I seemed to be doing a bunch of things the right way just need to improve. Of course this is also bad as there is no magic cure or silver bullet. If only Tommie had told me I was using the wrong end of the brush I'd be an awesome painter now! :p

phatkid1966
13-08-2012, 03:01 AM
Brilliant day. I walked in and set about nosing at everones work with my mouth agape. The models were so beautiful and it really demonstrates the idea that photographs don't always do the miniatures justice. The atmosphere was wonderful and I am ashamed to admit that although I saw many faces, I didn't put names to many. It was fantastic to meet Shane although being a fan of his stuff I felt a bit like a groupie at first (i said groupie not stalker - you can relax mate)! Meeting Brett and the Overlord Mrs Brett was great and like everyone I am in your debt for being fortunate to have been able to be present at such a wonderfully organised and fun event. It was brilliant to have a class with Tommie Soule and although we didn't get around to the weathering (which would have been fantastic - no doubts) it was TS willingness to answer questions and give all involved personal advice that for me will prove invaluable that made time fly. You could feel the community at this event - Sparks who I must say is an absoloute top bloke was giving away some fantastic stuff from his personal bits box - I grabbed a complete GW vortex to be used in a future dio' and others were giving away all manners off stuff from bases to barrels etc. The lack of stock at Maelstrom was a shame but probably couldn't be helped although I grabbed a couple of nice new miniatures. Awards were spot on except there should have been a special award given to Brett for his continued dedication in both the wamp community and in organising the events. I will absoloutely be coming to the next one and hope that by then my models will be at a standard where I feel confident enough to enter something (I knew things were bad when everyones speed painting models were better than some of the ones I spend weeks on)! Anyways a big huuuuuuuge thanks Brett I know people have said this already but its so important to know how much it is appreciated so we will keep saying it!

Darklord
16-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Firstly apologies for not responding on here sooner but just getting back into the swing after a few days off!

It's very heartening to hear that people seemed to have a great time. This has always been the main focus, giving a quality experience and making it an event where people would want to return the next year.
While it was a frantic day for me and Toni it was a good day and it was great to meet people for the first time or welcome back old friends. The painting contest was a great standard once again and to even get a certificate of any colour was a fantastic achievement, the bar was purposefully set high.

The night out was great, yet more converts to Malibu and Milk and it was surprising to find the Norwegian delegation talking about something other than herring!!

Next year will most likely see the event step up a gear. I have some plans to make much more of the day and I hope we can count on seeing more of you next year.

Time for some thanks!!Obviously thanks to all of you that took the time to come along. Thanks to the sponsors who help make it happen.
Thanks to Maelstrom for their support and awesome venue (especially the two Tim's)
Big thanks to our esteemed judges Rob,Scott and Andy (and Robin who couldn't make it at the last minute)
Thanks to Tommie Soule for his excellent workshop and to John Keys (who unfortunately didn't get time to do his).
Thanks also to Shane and Undave for their photography skills.
Thanks to the Norwegian trio for travelling for 3 weeks by sled just to get here.

Biggest thanks go to Grand Overlord HRH Princess Mrs Darklord Toni for her unswerving support and generally putting up with me and for also keeping the day running!!

See you next year!!

Brett