PDA

View Full Version : Vegascat vs ArkMechanicus - Warmachine/Hordes solo

vegascat
07-06-2012, 04:27 PM
This is the WIP/Smack-talk thread for....

ArkMechanicus vs Vegascat
Theme: Warmachine/Hordes solo
Voting: Painting only
Finish Date: 22 June 2012
Gallery: Using New Gallery

Good luck to both of us!

ArkMechanicus
08-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Awesome, thanks Vegascat.

As I said previously, I'm doing Orin, but the mini is on order, so no progress yet!

Good luck!

vegascat
08-06-2012, 07:51 PM
No problem, I just wanted to set up the thread as the mods have been busy (with RL stuff I imagine) and give us a place to put WIPs and/or to do any smack talk should we wish.

As much as I want to paint my Orin Midwinter, I want to paint the Cryx specific models in my Cryx army first, so I decided to paint my Overseer. It was already partially assembled. I finished assembling it last night, made a base for it, and attached it to the base as well. The model (at least the one I got) is very top-heavy and doesn't balance well, which is the only reason why I made the base and attached it to it last night, otherwise I normally save working on the base until I'm close to completion of the model. I wanted to take some pics last night, but ran out of time.

vegascat
14-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I haven't gotten any further as I've been swamped with home and work stuff. I'm hoping to spray prime (humidity depending) tomorrow morning before I go to work, otherwise I'll be brush-priming tomorrow night. Sadly, I have no black spray primer, so brush priming may be for the better. How are you coming along?

ArkMechanicus
14-06-2012, 06:16 PM
eeeerrr, yeah.

I haven't even got the miniature yet!

I may have to request an extension.. Hoping the mini will come by the weekend, but it may be next week before Royal Mail deliver. :(

vegascat
14-06-2012, 07:43 PM
No problem. Do you want to extend it now or wait and see if you get it in the post soon?

ArkMechanicus
14-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Um, real life is in the way at the moment, even if he comes this weekend, can we say 26 June?

Real life has been kicking my ass recently, so much so that when I said I'd ordered it earlier in the thread, I actually hadn't, when I realised I hadn't I then accidently ordered 2 (from different suppliers!). So yeah... my head is not on straight lately!

vegascat
14-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Brother, 26 June it is! No problem at all, to be honest. That gives me more wiggle room as well.

ArkMechanicus
25-06-2012, 11:59 AM
How are you doing vegascat ? Made much progress? :)

vegascat
02-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey brother! I'm sorry, I totally forgot about this! :( My model is done, how about yours? I should be able to snap some pics tonight.

ArkMechanicus
02-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Hey!

No problem.. You see I'm not done, half way through both my PP competition entry and this model.

Not sure what to suggest? I feel bad because you're done and I'm no where near the deadline! Should I conceed?

vegascat
02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Should I conceed?

Nay! There shalt be no conceeding! :) Really though, I'm in no hurry and these contests are supposed to be fun (or at least that's the light I'm looking at them in). Don't forget to post your pics in the PP contest section before on the ladder though (same goes for me, hopefully I'll remember).

ArkMechanicus
02-07-2012, 08:27 PM
haha ok, thanks.

Are you working on a jack/beast for the contest/generally?

Maybe we could change this to Solo + Jack/Beast for the end of July?

vegascat
10-07-2012, 02:40 PM
::chuckle:: I'll tell you since I highly doubt I'll be winning anything. :-P I'm working on three bonejacks (two defilers and one scavenger) and a Iron Lich Overseer. The Iron Lich Overseer and one of the Defilers is mainly done, with some niggling details that I need to finish before I'll consider them "done." You can look over at my WIP thread if you're interested.

What are you working on?

ArkMechanicus
10-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I've seen it!

A very distinctive colour scheme and I love the bases. Hopefully finish my beast tonight (see my WIP) so I can finally *start* painting. Not sure I'll finish in time at all. Orin is kinda on hold because I need to get the beast done.

What shall we do with the challenge? Do you want to set a final deadline and if I miss it you win?

vegascat
10-07-2012, 10:12 PM
No, we'll leave the deadline open. To me, part of the whole challenge is to force us to go through our piles of unpainted miniatures and get them painted. I'd love to see some WIP shots if you have any.

ArkMechanicus
11-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Ok that's cool. Will get some more recent WIP shots done soon, for now this was him after i'd fiddled a little bit with some GS..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/c0bra/IMGP1398.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/c0bra/IMGP1397.jpg

vegascat
12-07-2012, 04:26 AM
Cool! I'm really liking the cloak. I've been trying to think of something to do to mine to make him more.....Cryx. I was thinking about cutting him in half at the waist and swapping him out with Maybe the bottom half of a skarlock or pistol wraith.

ArkMechanicus
12-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah that sounds like a good idea! The pistol wraith's bottom half is very distinctively pistol wraith though, if you know what I mean.

How about the bottom half of a scrap thrall.. that looks fun.

Does Orin work for Cryx btw? How does that work in the fluff?

vegascat
12-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Yep! Orin works for Cryx (suprisingly enough, but then again he is quite insane). I Cryxed up my ogrun bokur a while ago:
Double click the pic to see a bigger version. I'm hoping to be able to do something to keep the flowing robes that he has going on, which is why I was thinking Skarlock or something similar, though a scrap thrall's lower half would be damn funny!

ArkMechanicus
26-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Right well I well and truly failed on this, starting again just now, but first a quick WIP of where I'd got to before (sorry for quality, quick shot on my phone):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/c0bra/20120826_104230.jpg

Did you finish yours months ago vegascat?

ArkMechanicus
29-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Right, Knocked out this guy quickly last night, just to get him done really, not an enjoyable mini to paint in the end, my poor GS work didn't help! Quite like his face though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/c0bra/IMGP1627.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/c0bra/IMGP1626.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/c0bra/IMGP1629.jpg

Do you still want to do a vote? How were we doing it again?

vegascat
30-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Gah! :) Just kidding. Yeah, let me see if I can get one of the mods to set up a voting thread and let me see if I can find my pictures :)

As for the model, I quite like the way he turned out. The cloak is really distinctive and the rest of your painting is great, but his face really stands out! I'm still pondering my own Orin Midwinter and thinking about mods, hopefully mine will turn out half as good as yours.

ArkMechanicus
31-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Thanks man. I'm sure yours will be great!
To be fair the sculptor did most of the work on the face for me. It was very easy to paint.

kdlynch
25-04-2013, 05:46 PM
vegas, did you ever upload your pic to the gallery?

vegascat
25-04-2013, 06:22 PM
I thought I did. I can upload it either tonight or this weekend.