PDA

View Full Version : Privateer Press Painting Contest 2012

Darklord
14-05-2012, 02:01 PM

It's time for a new contest and also time for a new sponsor, coming to the table we have on the the biggest miniature companies in the world in the form of Privateer Press! I am sure you all know them and their fantastic range of miniature awesomeness.

We have some great prizes to tempt you into entering. The contest will be split into 3 categories and a best in show.

Categories:

Single Figure:
Any Privateer Press single miniature

Warjack/Warbeast:
A single light or heavy warjack or warbeast.

Unit:
A unit of at least the minimum number of models allowed and no more than the maximum number of models allowed. Unit Attachments and Weapon Attachments may be included.

Best in Show:
Chosen from the category winners.

Prizes:

Single Figure:

Iron Kingdom and Trollblood Colours Paint Set's
Cygnar Colours Paint Set

Warjack/Warbeast:

Khador and Protectorate Colours Paint Sets
Cryx Colours Paint Set

Unit:

Mercenary and Circle Orboros Colours Paint Sets
Skorne Colours Paint Set

Best in Show:

Warmachine Two Player Battle Box and Legion of Everblight Paint Set. Your entry will also feature on the front cover of Portal Magazine.

Judging:
Category winners will be decided by public vote. Best in Show will be chosen from the Category winners by myself and Privateer Press

Rules:

You must be a Wamp Member to participate. Membership is free and you may register here. (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/register.php)
You may enter as many times as you like but each entry may only submit one photograph so if you need more angles it MUST be a montage.
Images must be no larger than 800 pixels wide by 2500 pixels high. (It is your responsibility to check this).
any additional photographs of that entry will be removed.
All entries must be new work. (New work is defined as any entry not previously displayed on-line in a completed state (You MAY enter pieces which have been shown as a Work In Progress (WIP)).
You give Wamp and Privateer Press permission to use your pictures for publicity (but you do retain ownership).
You may post pictures of WIP or final shots both here and elsewhere.
Judging will be decided by public vote.
Submissions must be posted to the Contest Gallery (http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/index.php?do=mypictures) You must make sure you select the correct contest option in the contest select box either during upload (if using the basic uploader) or via edit pictures after upload

Deadline:

Tuesday 24th July 4pm (British Time)

(supporters deadline will be 31st July 4pm)

I am pretty excited by this contest and Privateer Press are a BIG name in the industry so lets show them what Wamp can do!

p1per
14-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Boooohya - awesome news! :D I'm so in for this one. I hope I manage to get an entry done for every category.

Just curious will there only be 1st and 2nd place or will there also be 3rd place with a prize TBA/or without one?

Valloa
14-05-2012, 06:58 PM
So no diorama's allowed? Pity.

Darklord
14-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Just the prizes listed

@Valloa no reason you couldn't do one as long as it fits somewhere

Valloa
14-05-2012, 09:10 PM
The only place I see would be doing a unit, and only proper unit models, as a dio. Unless I'm missing something, the other categories are single model only.

Captain Sprout
15-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Nice comp, good work DL!

Shades
15-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Very tempting, both to finish some of my PP models and to encourage more attention for WAMP. But I have yet to start my figures for the Freebooter's Fate contest! My poor orcs & gobbos are fighting a furious battle to win the painting love.

parvusmachina
15-05-2012, 03:45 AM
I have models for this one! Budget is really tight right now so had to pass on the Avatars of War, Freebooters, and Darksword contests. But Privateer Press?...oh yes! I have some models for this one!:redface:

dsmiles
15-05-2012, 12:22 PM
How convenient is this? I jsut started in on a new faction last week! I don't think I'll get a full unit done in time, but I'll definitely have something for the other two categories. Good luck, all!

Bubba Ho-Tep
15-05-2012, 05:42 PM
ooh, ok, time to get back to painting!!

sahancock
15-05-2012, 06:22 PM
So excited for this!! :D I love Privateer- and I'm so glad I came across this. Good luck, all! :) Can't wait to see what we all come up with :D

Darklord
15-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Welcome to Wamp Sahancock

sahancock
15-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks~ my group and I recently really started applying ourselves to painting our forces rather than just buying more and priming lol This is a really cool site, and I'm glad Privateer is doing this contest so we have more incentive to keep going! (besides to be fierce at lock n load) :D lol

Endor
16-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Well done getting this organised, DL!

I am slowly making my way through a small faction list to have something to game with, so this should be the incentive I need to get them finished :smile:

breadhead.
16-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Wicked score. I'm painting my way through a huge pile of PP stuff at the moment after going a bit OTT with purchases for my protectorate army.
Should have something to put in each category hopefully.

ArkMechanicus
16-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Go Wamp!

I already have ideas for what to enter, it couldn't have come at a better time! :)

dsmiles
18-05-2012, 03:34 AM
Wicked score. I'm painting my way through a huge pile of PP stuff at the moment after going a bit OTT with purchases for my protectorate army.
Should have something to put in each category hopefully.
Tell me about it. I went crazy on Khador and Trollbloods recently. I don't think I'll have time to paint up a full unit, but I should have at least 2 entries. I'm fairly certain I can finish a 'jack and a solo by then.

p1per
18-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Just bought Thagrosh the Messiah for the contest but is he considered "Single Figure" or because of his size "Warjack/Warbeast"? Sry if that's a dumb question but I'm not a gamer and have absolutely no clue which category he fits in and depending on that I'll have to buy the next mini. ;) :D

And I guess conversions are OK (I would like to replace his wings)?

Cregan Tur
18-05-2012, 06:09 PM
My brother-in-law gave me a Khador Heavy Warjack for christmas a couple years ago. I guess I should stop making excuses and paint it up for this.

breadhead.
18-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Just bought Thagrosh the Messiah for the contest but is he considered "Single Figure" or because of his size "Warjack/Warbeast"? Sry if that's a dumb question but I'm not a gamer and have absolutely no clue which category he fits in and depending on that I'll have to buy the next mini. ;) :D

Thagrosh is a Warcaster so I would assume Single Figure.

parvusmachina
18-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah, it doesn't sound like this contest's categories are determined by base size or model size but more by model type. Regardless of size, I would guess a Warcaster is a single figure.

ooops...like breadhead already stated above.:smile:

dsmiles
19-05-2012, 11:45 PM
My brother-in-law gave me a Khador Heavy Warjack for christmas a couple years ago. I guess I should stop making excuses and paint it up for this.Crap. Oh well, I guess I'll enter a 'jack anyways. :P

p1per
20-05-2012, 04:52 PM
thx guys! :)

Leaves only one question, if it's ok for the contest if I replace his wings with the ones from Balrog (GW).:confused:

Darklord
21-05-2012, 10:11 AM
thx guys! :)

Leaves only one question, if it's ok for the contest if I replace his wings with the ones from Balrog (GW).:confused:

thats fine piper as long as its still inherently Privateer Press

adary
29-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Since I'm currently working mostly on my PP stuff, I see no reason not to join this contest (even though my shaky hands will probably get me to the honourable last spot). Just to decide now which model I want to use to enter the competition :)

vegascat
29-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Can I submit the model I'm using in my ladder contest versus Pae? Or does that not count since I'll be using it for the ladder contest?

Spectral Dragon
12-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Can I submit the model I'm using in my ladder contest versus Pae? Or does that not count since I'll be using it for the ladder contest?In the past the way that works is you can't submit it to the ladder until the contest is over.

Darklord
12-06-2012, 10:38 AM
You can submit it no problem

Spectral Dragon
16-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Just purchased lord Terminus. My plans for him more than likely exceed my ability. Still, I have surprised myself in the past so we shal see.

adary
18-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Does the battle engine count? If not i will think of something else :)

Spectral Dragon
18-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Does the battle engine count? If not i will think of something else :)

Single figure if nothing else?

adary
18-06-2012, 07:35 PM
If nothing else I will do a heavy jack. But i would like to do the battle engine if allowed since I got it yesterday :)

Spectral Dragon
18-06-2012, 09:15 PM
If nothing else I will do a heavy jack. But i would like to do the battle engine if allowed since I got it yesterday :)
I am *certain* it's allowed, wierd if not. Count it in the jack or single category. PM DL he will be able to get an answer for you :)

Darklord
18-06-2012, 10:33 PM
ALL PP stuff is allowed - just pop it in the most relevant category

Darklord
12-07-2012, 10:36 AM
just a couple of weeks left folks to get those entries in.

vegascat
12-07-2012, 02:12 PM
I'll have a few entries. Can't say any of them will win, but it'll still be fun to enter!

Spectral Dragon
12-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Loving how my entry is turning out, which is a rare thing as usually it takes me a few days after I am finished with a mini to like it. Might be trouble for some of you ;)

aehorst
12-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey all,

I uploaded 5 pics for different categories yesterday but I am not sure I did it correctly to add them to this contest. I used the basic uploader and chose the "Privateer Press Painting Contest 2012" from the drop down but when I click the contest gallery I don't see them.

Just wanted to try and make sure I got my entries in and wanted to check out some of the others.

Thanks,
Amos

Darklord
12-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Hi Amos,
if you go to your pics and edit them you can make sure the contest is selected in there - let me know fi you need more help

aehorst
12-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Cool, I will check then. Thanks!

Spectral Dragon
12-07-2012, 07:25 PM
They are in there aehorst. Welcome to WAMP btw.

Love those Bane thralls :)

Darklord
13-07-2012, 10:54 AM
keep them coming folks, most of us have some PP in our collection

p1per
13-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Guess I will have my Troll finished before the deadline. :)

dsmiles
13-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Sorry, I'm out. I've got too much on my plate right now to finish the mini I was going to enter.

Spectral Dragon
14-07-2012, 01:56 AM
keep them coming folks, most of us have some PP in our collection

What's yours Brett?

Darklord
14-07-2012, 02:33 PM
What's yours Brett?

I have the prizes!

stef686
16-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Hey im new to your contests and have a question about the new work ruling. I recently painted a lot of PP stuff for the ETC last weekend and posted them on my blog, CMON and a couple of forums a couple of days ago. Because I've posted them already does that mean they are not eligible for the contest, even though they are technically new work as they were only finished a week or so ago?

Just wanted to get that clarified before I submitted some, also determines whether I enter multiple categories or just the one.

Cheers!

Darklord
16-07-2012, 03:29 PM
New work is things that haven't been posted elsewhere in a finished stat. If you have only shown them as WIP then they are fine to enter.
If it was only yesterday then i am happy to allow that (we aren't overly rigid) though if anyone does have an issue with that leeway they would need to be removed.

The rule is there to stop folks coming on and entering a ton of work from the last 10 years

stef686
16-07-2012, 03:34 PM
That makes sense, obviously it wouldn't be right to let people enter stuff from years ago, plus it encourages people to paint more! I was hoping it'd be OK as I only took the photos on saturday and they've only been online a couple of days. In future if I enter competitions I'll hold the photography back until after the competition's over.

I'll go ahead and submit them anyway, if anyone does happen to have an issue that they've been posted elsewhere I understand if you have to remove them.

Lono
19-07-2012, 05:46 PM
I just put some entries in for this. Hopefully they are OK. Awaiting approval right now.

They were painted as the contest was running and uploaded to CMoN during that time in a montage of the whole group. I meant to post them here at the same time, but managed to get sidetracked and never got around to making images of them individually to post here until just now. If it's a big issue, no worries.

I am hoping to get at least 1 more entry done, but not sure if I'll make it in time. :)

Darklord
19-07-2012, 09:11 PM
5 days left folks.

Arithon
20-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Havent entered this for a while and have been working on a lot of Privateer Press minis in the last year, I am sure I can put something together in 5 days.....lol.

Spectral Dragon
20-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Being a supporter to get that extra week is worth it.

Darklord
20-07-2012, 05:38 PM

it sure is!!:lol:

adary
20-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Well, i wont be able to enter a decent model for this one. Unfortunately the last two weeks were too hectic RL and i barely had any time to paint. Guess I will wait for some other competition

p1per
21-07-2012, 10:01 AM

I'm in. :D

ArkMechanicus
22-07-2012, 01:06 PM
I've had a bad week with real life, so not going to finish :(

shanerozzell
22-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I've had a bad week with real life, so not going to finish :(

Sorry to hear that ArkMech.

Spectral Dragon
23-07-2012, 02:20 AM
trying to get mine done beforehand, unfortunately heavy model = shaky hands :(

shanerozzell
23-07-2012, 01:39 PM
trying to get mine done beforehand, unfortunately heavy model = shaky hands :(

Just gotta learn to paint with the shake:smile:

On a side note I cut out coffee last year and my shakes have all but stopped. I still have the odd cup but not when I'm painting.

Spectral Dragon
23-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Just gotta learn to paint with the shake:smile:

On a side note I cut out coffee last year and my shakes have all but stopped. I still have the odd cup but not when I'm painting.

Always had shaky hands actually just the heavy model makes the hand I am holding the model in shake. Hard to put that sucker onto something to hold onto because of how heavy it is but as you saw I am making progress nonetheless :) Should be done before end of contest.

Chang1701
23-07-2012, 09:10 PM
i wish my models would have come in time. I would have entered. :(

phatkid1966
23-07-2012, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=shanerozzell;184643]Just gotta learn to paint with the shake:smile:

I confess to not being able to master this technique or cutting out coffee. I have found a way around painting detail to an extent though. I have a magnifying lamp from argos where you lift the lid to look down on the lit model. I find I can look through this and paint for a short time. I know its not for everyone but it works for me. The relevance is that my hands shake most when attempting the fine detail and this helps for me :)

shanerozzell
23-07-2012, 11:16 PM
I confess to not being able to master this technique or cutting out coffee. I have found a way around painting detail to an extent though. I have a magnifying lamp from argos where you lift the lid to look down on the lit model. I find I can look through this and paint for a short time. I know its not for everyone but it works for me. The relevance is that my hands shake most when attempting the fine detail and this helps for me :)

I have one of these as well but no longer use it other than for light. When I did I had problems judging distance through the lens because you lose stereo vision. You should try an optivisor (http://www.shesto.co.uk/Lamps-&-Magnifiers-Magnifiers/c31_70/p1072/Optivisor-Headband-Magnifiers/product_info.html) instead. They're ace and mine fits over my glasses.

phatkid1966
23-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Ooh gotta have some of those, Anita rolled her eyes when I showed her. I don't care, I think they look sci fi. I'm getting them that's that :D

shanerozzell
23-07-2012, 11:24 PM
In downtime, like now I have them on backwards... Street geek!!!:cool:

phatkid1966
23-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Which magnification do you use?

shanerozzell
23-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Which magnification do you use?

2.5. Any closer and you keep banging your brush haft on them. Not good!

phatkid1966
23-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Lol @ street geek, Could be On to a commercial winner with that one!!

Arithon
24-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Oops misread the deadline, oh well cant be helped. I am working on a lot of PP stuff anyway. Good luck guys.

shanerozzell
24-07-2012, 02:18 PM
A quick reminder to non subscribers that the deadline is 4pm BST today. That's 2 hours 45 mins from the time of this post.

Good luck everybody:smile:

shanerozzell
24-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Just under an hour left for non-subscribers so get your entries in. Remember you have to be in it to win it.

Subscribers, you have exactly 1 week to go.

shanerozzell
24-07-2012, 05:00 PM
The painting contest is now closed for non-subscribers and no more images will be accepted. Subscribers, you have exactly 1 week left. Good luck:smile:

Spectral Dragon
24-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Worth mentioning that if you think you have a winning piece the small fee for subscription is worth it to increase the deadline ;) Have seen previous entrants do this before, one of whom has won because of it.

althai
24-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Worth mentioning that if you think you have a winning piece the small fee for subscription is worth it to increase the deadline ;) Have seen previous entrants do this before, one of whom has won because of it.
Pretty sure Ana is going to win. :P But you never know, maybe someone else will enter something equally amazing.

Shades
24-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Holy crap, I didn't know Ana joined WAMP. Sweet. She's one of my faves.

Blighted Panda
25-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Those are some serious pieces. :)

MaGie
25-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Wow what a glorious gallery already :) Can't wait to see what the supporters will bring us!

p1per
29-07-2012, 09:08 PM
OMG just realized are those 800x2500 still up2date or is it ok to post an image with the size limitations of the WAMP-Gallery which would be 1000x4000... if it's not ok I have to do another set. :/

EDIT: Did another set with proper picture size (800x2000), deleted the old one in the gallery and uploaded the new one - sry for that hope it's still ok. :/

Nomad
30-07-2012, 09:09 AM
How do I post in the contest gallery? It won't give me the option. I have filled in PP 2012 in the contest field but it only gives the option of None in the gallery field.

If someone could please move these to the correct gallery, I will be grateful. Is there any tutorial?
http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/image.php?f=1551&p=1&photoid=1551&wat=
http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/image.php?f=1552&p=1&photoid=1552&wat=

shanerozzell
30-07-2012, 04:17 PM
How do I post in the contest gallery? It won't give me the option. I have filled in PP 2012 in the contest field but it only gives the option of None in the gallery field.

If someone could please move these to the correct gallery, I will be grateful. Is there any tutorial?
http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/image.php?f=1551&p=1&photoid=1551&wat=
http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/image.php?f=1552&p=1&photoid=1552&wat=

They're already in the right gallery.

Darklord
31-07-2012, 11:56 AM
tick tock tick tock, not long left folks, get those entries in!

Endor
31-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes! I made it! Had to stay up a bit last night, though, to finish the unit...
The deadline was a good kick in the butt to get things finished, I am now pretty fed up with these WM models ;)

Darklord
31-07-2012, 03:29 PM
good man

Darklord
31-07-2012, 05:18 PM
***DEADLINE HAS PASSED***

thanks to everyone that has entered. Voting Polls will be up tomorrow. You have until then to make sure your entry is showing in the contest gallery here:

Privateer Press Gallery (http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/index.php?do=search&search=yes&photo_contest=5)

if its not let me know.

If you get the chance please go check out the entries and maybe leave a comment or two. feedback is one of the main things about the Wamp contests and the contestants do appreciate it

Chang1701
31-07-2012, 05:35 PM
so many amazingly painted minis!!!

phatkid1966
31-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I agree 100%, breathtaking standards!

Nomad
01-08-2012, 07:40 AM
They're already in the right gallery.

Oh, OK. They weren't showing the other day on this computer. There alright now. Thanks...