PDA

View Full Version : Subby's NEW AND IMPROVED PECUNIARY PFP PROCESS

sublimebrushwork
01-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Okay, seeing as my previous attempts at getting started on a PFP challenge have fallen by the wayside, I am starting over.
Again.
This time, though, I really, really mean to see it through. Really REALLY really.
I have purchased, for the princely sum of 4.70, the Emperor's Champion. I know it's an obvious choice but it's a figure I've always liked and I figure nothing sells better than Space Marines...
Anyway, I'm starting on him TODAY (just as soon as I finish my entry into the Mcvey competition) and I WILL be posting WIPs and updates here, hopefully daily.
ONWARDS!

kittykat23uk
01-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Good luck!! Hope it works out for you!

Spectral Dragon
01-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Okay, seeing as my previous attempts at getting started on a PFP challenge have fallen by the wayside, I am starting over.
Again.
This time, though, I really, really mean to see it through. Really REALLY really.
I have purchased, for the princely sum of 4.70, the Emperor's Champion. I know it's an obvious choice but it's a figure I've always liked and I figure nothing sells better than Space Marines...
Anyway, I'm starting on him TODAY (just as soon as I finish my entry into the Mcvey competition) and I WILL be posting WIPs and updates here, hopefully daily.
ONWARDS!

People like modified versions of that model although BT's are rising in popularity of late as well.

warhamsterdave
04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Have you thought about the new WHFB Empire models? This will be the new gamers band wagon following on from the VC and could be good for the quick painters getting some sales.

Just a thought.

Orki
04-04-2012, 02:53 PM

Come on man, ain't you finished yet? :rolleyes:

sublimebrushwork
04-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Blimey Orki, give a guy a chance! Had a couple of 'real life' days that have got in my way. WIP will be up later today. That enough for you? :tongue:

And warhamsterdave, I'm waiting for my local shop to get some in...

Orki
04-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Blimey Orki, give a guy a chance! Had a couple of 'real life' days that have got in my way. WIP will be up later today. That enough for you? :tongue:

Nope! Bigger, better, faster, MOAR! :tongue:

sublimebrushwork
04-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Hard ass...:tongue:

Orki
04-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Why, thank you! :redface:

Spectral Dragon
04-04-2012, 10:14 PM

And warhamsterdave, I'm waiting for my local shop to get some in...

In throwing my voice in to get you inspired as well :)

sublimebrushwork
05-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Here's the WIP. Particularly for orki and spectral-you can get off my back now guys! :biggrin:
Seriously though, thanks for chivvying me on. I'm terrible for letting other things get in the way of doing actual work. Life has a way of providing constant interruptions...

Orki
05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
You've just sprayed it black! :biggrin:

Ok, i'll let you off. I can see some browny bits in there too. :redface: :tongue:

sublimebrushwork
05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Oooohhh, why I oughta...
(shakes fist, accidentally punches cat, gets hand scratched...)

Spectral Dragon
05-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Oooohhh, why I oughta...
(shakes fist, accidentally punches cat, gets hand scratched...)
Nice base, but we were getting on you about the model :P

Joking aside, I'm trying to help keep you from doing what I am doing and not making any progress for 6 months ;) (mines a few threads down.)

ScottRadom
06-04-2012, 04:30 AM
Like that rock colour!

sublimebrushwork
06-04-2012, 01:31 PM
So the armour's finished. Now, the question is, to NMM or not to NMM...?

Orki
06-04-2012, 03:17 PM
:confused:

Ang on.. if the armour is 'finished', isnt it a bit late to decide NMM or TMM? Or do you mean that you've done it in TMM and was wondering whether to shade it as you would NMM, to create false shadows and increase the contrast?

If so then I guess it depends on how you plan on working teh contrast over the rest of the mini really. You going for subtle and realsitic, or BAM 'ave it!?
:wink:

As its a PFP mini i'd go with the most striking scheme that you've got in mind. :smile:

sublimebrushwork
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
No, I mean the black armour is done, and I'm wondering whether to do the gold and silver bits, etc. in NMM or not. I've never been much of a fan or NMM but it does seem popular and would probably tie in with the way I've painted the black.

vegascat
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM
The Emperor's Champion mini is one of the few Space Marine minis I have left as I've really wanted to paint it for quite some time now. Nice to see that yours is coming along nicely. I have to echo the NMM/TMM question as it looks like you did your metals already.

Orki
06-04-2012, 03:36 PM
No, I mean the black armour is done, and I'm wondering whether to do the gold and silver bits, etc. in NMM or not. I've never been much of a fan or NMM but it does seem popular and would probably tie in with the way I've painted the black.

Ahh.. tbh I thought the armour was already TMM or NMM anyway. There's so much of the lighter tones in there for black armour that it really does look like NMM in those photos!

As the armour is intended to be black, i'd darken it significantly to ensure you retain the distinction between that and the metals (whichever way you decide to do them).

'Tying it in' with the black will only create further ambiguity, which is already the cause of the misinterpretation that both I and Vegascat picked up on basically.

sublimebrushwork
06-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Cheers for the wisdom guys, though it must be said that the pic is a little overexposed which makes the black appear lighter than it actually is. Will fix that for the next wip later on.

Spectral Dragon
07-04-2012, 02:28 AM

I'm probably a bit late to the party here but I would shade the undersides of that armor some more, it looks to me like you just painted it boltgun metal, which based off your description is obviously not true.

sublimebrushwork
07-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Okay, this picture should show things a bit clearer. I have darkened the armour slightly in the recesses and the sword blade is done. Going to pick out the lettering on the sword in some way-not sure what yet...
Got to work out a bit of iconography too...

Spectral Dragon
07-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Oh yeah, looking good now :D

Orki
07-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Yeah looks better already in that pic. The armour is still a little NMM looking but a touch of sheen is nice I think. I think it might still be a little confusing though on the end product but i'll sit back and see how you roll. :cool:

One small thing though - given that he is a gaming mini it might be worth considering putting him on a 25mm base. You will be eliminating a massive percentage of potential buyers by effectively making him a display-only piece on that 40mm base. Just a thought anyway...

sublimebrushwork
07-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Ahh, music to my ears. That NMM sheen is just what i was looking for. It's the style of highlighting I've always liked for Marines and I'm planning more like it.
Good advice on the base, Orki, I hadn't thought of that. I guess I've got to decide whether I want to aim for the collector or the gamer with my work. In all honesty I'd rather go for the collector but I suppose the decision comes down to a larger market or higher price...
Maybe a topic for general forum discussion...

sublimebrushwork
24-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Been a while since I last updated. Illness, family matters, work commitments and other such real-life stuff have conspired to keep me away from the painting table for the last ten days or so. Hopefully should have something to post tonight...

Orki
24-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Booo. Down with real life!

sublimebrushwork
24-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Quite so! Another bloody day in bed. Hate being ill...