PDA

View Full Version : Review: Scribor 50mm Dwarven Ruins

Spectral Dragon
22-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I bought this base to display my Avatars of War Dwarf Thunderlord for the AOW 2012 contest here on WAMP. It took a while to arrive, and when it did it came in a plastic box, fit and snug. At first I was worried that it would get damaged if it bounced around in there too much.

Quality: 8
Opening the package and feeling the resin the base is made out of surprised me. The resin is especially tough and hard, almost as hard as plastic, and yet isn't so brittle that it will break from normal abuse. I actually dropped this base when standing up, along with another model I had ordered, and there were no cracks or chips upon close scrutiny.

There was no flash whatsoever on this base. There were bubble-holes in it though and upon inspecting the bottom there was a good amount of resin missing in a big area. I wasn't worried about this as the bubbles were easy to fill, and the part of the base that didn't cast right was in an area where you won't see it anyway. It took me five minutes to fill these holes with green stuff.

The details are crisp and clear on this base. The moss is well defined all around the base. The wood is well detailed and the rock looks realistic. The one bad thing I have to say about this mini is the tab insert on top: to me it really doesn't look like it should be there and anyone using a mini with this base almost certainly has to cover it up in some way either with the mini in question or with green stuff. The area where the tab is is the only area a mini could possibly go however being primarily a display base this is no bad thing.

Assembly/Usability with Models: 6

I must admit I had a rough time getting my mini to fit in that insert: The tab is uneven and surprisingly thin. It is also somewhat difficult to make wider due to the fact that you can't reach a hobby knife all the way to the bottom of the insert. I had to use a Dremmel tool to sand down the tab on the Dwarf Thunderlord to fit in that insert ultimately, and even then because the insert actually extends to the edge of the model and is not contained inside the platform part of the Tab was extremely visible and needed to be covered with greenstuff. Easily done but some people don't want to do that extra work. The tab also doesn't look entirely natural so you either have to use it, or cover it up. This leaves few options for positioning the model how you want in my book. Still, the position of the tab is right where it should be in my opinion.

Value: 9

Despite the few flaws this base is fun to paint, quality resin, and at a price of 9.10 USD/6.30 for what is actually a rather large chunk of display base I think you get a lot for your money. It was rather easy for me to take advantage of the detail on the base for ease of painting, and the moss especially was a great surprise. I would definitely buy this base for another dwarf model again.

Overall: 7.66

NeatPete
22-03-2012, 10:58 PM
thanks SD. got any pics by chance?

Vern
22-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the review (& yes, pic would be nice)

skippen
23-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Need some picts for this review to really shine.

Spectral Dragon
23-03-2012, 06:10 AM
Will get some pics tonight then.