PDA

View Full Version : DarkSword Miniatures 2012 Painting Contest

Darklord
13-03-2012, 12:40 PM

It's time to welcome back DarkSword Miniatures to Wamp as they return for their second year, and we have something pretty special lined up for you this time.

This years contest will focus on the George R.R. Martin Masterworks Range that most of you will know from the excellent Song of Ice and Fire books and the Game of Thrones TV Series.

For the contest there are some cracking prizes on offer from DarkSword:

1st Place - $200 in Dark Sword On-line Store Credit
2nd Place - $100 in Dark Sword On-line Store Credit
3rd Place - $50 in Dark Sword On-line Store Credit
4th Place - $25 in Dark Sword On-line Store Credit
Honourable Mention - $25 in Dark Sword On-line Store Credit

All entries must be from the George R.R. Martin Masterworks range and as a special treat we have lined up the perfect person to judge the entries........

George R.R. Martin himself!

That's right the very man that created the Westeros world and the books and TV series based on it will be judging your work. George is a fan of miniatures and has an extensive collection painted by some of the foremost artists around. George is always on the look out for new painters so this is a great opportunity to impress the man himself!

Deadline for entries will be 4pm 24th May 2012

Supporters deadline is 4pm 31st May 2012

A few rules:

You must be a Wamp Member to participate. Membership is free and you may register here. (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/register.php)
You may enter as many times as you like but each entry may only submit one photograph so if you need more angles it MUST be a montage.
Images must be no larger than 800 pixels wide by 2500 pixels high. (It is your responsibility to check this).
any additional photographs of that entry will be removed.
All entries must be new work. (New work is defined as any entry not previously displayed on-line in a completed state (You MAY enter pieces which have been shown as a Work In Progress (WIP)).
You give Wamp and DarkSword Miniatures permission to use your pictures for publicity (but you do retain ownership).
You may post pictures of WIP or final shots both here and elsewhere.
Judging will be decided by George RR Martin.
Submissions must be posted to the contest gallery (http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery) You must make sure you select the correct contest option in the contest select box either during upload (if using the basic uploader) or via edit pictures after upload

Darklord
02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Gallery is now available for this folks

dicker_koenig
02-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Oh, wow. This is great, just plain awesome :). I LOVE his books, I love the TV-Series, I love painting minatures and I have two weeks of holidays ahead of me. Great timing. Thanks alot :).

kittykat23uk
02-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Hmmm I'm tempted to buy a mini just to enter this. Been hankering after a few of the dark sword dragons.. :biggrin:

kdlynch
02-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Other than "Daenerys with Newborn Dragons", I'm not sure there are any other dragons in the George RR Martin series as of yet.

Nameless
02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
are there any dragons in the George R.R. Martin Masterworks range, kittykat?

MaGie
02-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm incredibly excited about this contest :)
Game of Thrones is a wonderful book series, and I also really like the TV series! It's really great that George RR Martin himself will do the judging, that will certainly raise the bar I presume.
Personally, I have planned a little diorama for this contest and I hope it will turn out the way it looks in my mind!

Darklord
02-04-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm incredibly excited about this contest :)

Me too, was one of my favourites from last year and will be great to hear what George thinks - he commission miniatures so knows his way around them

pae
02-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm probably going to have an entry or two for this one as well. Hell, looking at the sponsors for this year, it's possible that I have something entered in all of the contests. That's assuming I can keep myself motivated.

Nameless
02-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I think I'm gonna skip this one. Don't have any mini of that specific Darksword range (expect for already painted Cersei) and don't really feel like getting one.

NeatPete
02-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Yeah Baby!! I'm all over this like a rat on a cheeto. Love the range, and will get soemthing started ASAP.

Thats on helluva judge you got for us DL, bravo sir!

Sparks
02-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm like nameless on this one. I'd like to get involved, but none of the range particularly tickle my fancy. As people have said, definite kudos for the judge though! Shows the power of the Wamp!

brushmistress
02-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Awesome! I'm super excited about this (as I was last year).

kittykat23uk
02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
are there any dragons in the George R.R. Martin Masterworks range, kittykat?

Nope other than the aforementioned naked bint with three baby dragons, which is the model I've just ordered to paint up for this challenge, but I assume the prize would be good for the whole range of dark sword models (she hopes!!).

Miniature-Heroes
02-04-2012, 08:25 PM
To help support this I'm now running a 10% discount (http://miniature-heroes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=602_617&zenid=c5598a88226d8c635a61658fc4fe9f47) on the George R.R. Martin range, A song of ice and fire, in the shop.

Tim

piratemama
02-04-2012, 08:29 PM
I already picked up two figures for this from my friend's store!! I'm really excited :) I like Martin's work!!

Duliniel
03-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Really excited about this one! I love DS and the GRRM line!

Alrith72
10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Well i've put a (bad) pic in the gallery, my photo skills suck as much as my painting :smile:

First time i've tried to do one of these type of bases. Think it's too big as the minis get a bit lost on it and there is some stuff i'd like to do better next time but it's all a learning curve.

kittykat23uk
15-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Getting on nicely with my little entry. This is the first naked mini I have painted and I realised I didn't have any flesh colours in my stock so I've had a go at mixing my own. Really surprised that she's turning out half passable in the circumstances. :biggrin:

Darklord
15-05-2012, 11:41 AM
just a couple of weeks left folks, how are those entries coming along?

Darklord
21-05-2012, 11:12 AM
3 days left for general entries folks, if you have already entered please make sure you chose the contest entry option on your submission details. (to make sure it is showing follow the dark sword miniatures 2012 link in the gallery menu - your entry should show there

MaGie
21-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Not that many entries yet, I guess everyone is taking all the time they have to create their masterpieces :)

My entry is nearly done, I sincerely underestimated the minuscule details on this mini!

NeatPete
21-05-2012, 04:35 PM
I realized this was sneaking away from me, so I started two entries yesterday on a rainy Sunday. Great miniatures!

Orki
22-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Aha! I wondered what the comp was this month...

Anyone know where I can purchase a last minute Darksword mini, from a UK retailer with super-speedy delivery options?
:cheeky:

Darklord
22-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Aha! I wondered what the comp was this month...

Anyone know where I can purchase a last minute Darksword mini, from a UK retailer with super-speedy delivery options?
:cheeky:

I dont have any in the shop but have a personal hoard - drop me your addy and Ill get one in the post today for you

NeatPete
22-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Noooooooooooo, I was going to win this whole thing untill that "Orki guy" got involved. His last minute stuff would beat my best work anyday. Send him a guitar instead DL. For Pete's sake.

XUR
23-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Maybe you can ambush his postman -XD-

Wendy
23-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Just to make sure, the 4pm deadline would mean 10am Eastern Standard Time?

Darklord
23-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Just to make sure, the 4pm deadline would mean 10am Eastern Standard Time?

think so!!

Heres a handy convertor for those of you that want to check

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

NeatPete
23-05-2012, 11:21 PM
such a tease!

Darklord
24-05-2012, 10:50 AM
just over 6 hours to go folks. Supporters have 1 week left. If you are not a supporter but wish to be you can do so here:

http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/Supporter.php

Ygritte
24-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Hi, do you think it's possible to change the image for the contest also if it has been approved? I pick up the wrong one :) Thanks!

Darklord
24-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Hi, do you think it's possible to change the image for the contest also if it has been approved? I pick up the wrong one :) Thanks!

yep thats fine as long as its before the deadline

Ygritte
24-05-2012, 03:17 PM
yep thats fine as long as its before the deadline

Thanks!

Darklord
24-05-2012, 03:55 PM
1 Hour to go folks. If you run out of time you will have to sign up as a supporter to gain an extra week

Darklord
24-05-2012, 06:03 PM
*** Deadline has passed ***

Supporters you have 1 week to get those entries in.

If you have already posted your entries then please make sure you selected the Dark Sword contest option. Your entry should be showing here:

Dark Sword Entries
(http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/index.php?do=search&search=yes&photo_contest=3)

XUR
24-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Mine has appeared in the Gallery Home, but not yet amongst the contest entries ...
Maybe because the pic was too heavy, sorry
I uploaded a new pic of size 691X2500 since then.

Darklord
24-05-2012, 06:51 PM
if its n gallery home then its approved so means you need to go to edit details for that photo and select dark sword in the contest selectore

XUR
24-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Yeah, something must have happened when I put my second pic.

Congrats all, nice gallery of pics, by the way !

parvusmachina
25-05-2012, 02:58 PM
<sigh> I had two minis picked out for this contest, primed and ready to go...and then time just...slipped past...<sigh>

On a brighter note, I am looking forward to voting and seeing the winners!

Good luck everyone!

waghorn41
28-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Hmm, sort of forgot about this, probably because I didn't want to frighten GRRM. Still, couple of days left I suppose I could repaint Sansa and get a picture up...

Darklord
29-05-2012, 10:14 AM
go on Wag

Orki
29-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Mine is finished now!

I've gotta go out today though, so that only leaves me with an evening or two to get the base done...

:fret

Edit - Oh, and if I don't make the deadline, then it'll be due to my sporadic internet access at the mo. I spose if the worst happens I could always text DL a pic on my phone. XD

It's ok though, the phone-cams resolution has gotta be at least 100px wide. :P

Sometimes you can even discern the subject through the noise too. :)

XUR
29-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Go on, friends !!

Yesterday, I saw --- ----- ------- --- -------- ---- ----!!
That can only be a good omen :)
(come to think of it, he --- --- -- --- ---------- right after :(

Orki
29-05-2012, 12:39 PM
The who? Actually, shhh!!! Don't say a word!

I've only just finished watching the 1st season of GoT so i'm a bit behind the times at the mo. My mate has got the books though and after falling in love with GRRM's tragic, almost Shakespearean approach to the mortality and fate of his characters, I find myself having urges to start reading them now.

It's just a shame that I can't read and paint at the same time. :(

XUR
29-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Frakk me !
You' re perfectly right, that was a stupid spoiler from me.
I was just assuming everyone else on this thread would have watched Sunday's episode ...
Sorry for this :(

[out of curiosity, what is the model you chose ?]

Orki
29-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Hahaha! You censored your post! :P

I'm doing Cersi... not like Jaime though. XD

NeatPete
29-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Sansa is almost done! Just need to do her hair.

This weeks episode was great. Heard the man himself wrote this episode. I was laughing and sitting on the end of my seat the whole time. Great stuff.

Orki
29-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Gah, sod it.

I've Just realised that I have to go to the hospital for another MRI scan on thursday, and I wont be back home until the deadline has passed... >.<

XUR
29-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Nothing serious I hope, buddy ?

Darklord
29-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Gah, sod it.

I've Just realised that I have to go to the hospital for another MRI scan on thursday, and I wont be back home until the deadline has passed... >.<

you'll be waiting ages at the hospital, get the base done then bud - sod extreme ironing lets start extreme mini painting!

Orki
29-05-2012, 05:31 PM
XUR - Actually, yeah. It's long term spine problems. I've been getting certain warning signs that my condition(s) could be worsening, and so i'm being prodded a bit more frequently as a precautionary measure.

It's a long story anyway, and most of it not for the public's ears! :D

Brett - That's the plan, my man! I'm just gonna have to chuck her on a bit of slate or something... :P

NeatPete
29-05-2012, 05:32 PM
yikes buddy, hope all is well.

XUR
29-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Sounds painful !
Hope you get better ...

pae
29-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm just about finished with my entry, and I just started it a few days ago. Maybe for Freebooter I'll give myself more time. Or I'll paint multiple entries.

XUR
29-05-2012, 08:22 PM
>I'm doing Cersi... not like Jaime though. XD

-XD- I just understood !! -XD-
(forgive me, keep in mind english is not my mother tongue)

Darklord
30-05-2012, 11:59 AM
less than a day and a half left folks - get those miniatures works of art in

Orki
30-05-2012, 01:42 PM
http://www.realclearsports.com/blognetwork/the_coors_effect/oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Valloa
30-05-2012, 10:13 PM
@Orki I hope all comes back well when you get your scan.

That's a cute picture and probably will be me tonight, if the painkillers kick in enough to paint. Gotta love injuries that get in the way of your painting!

Orki
31-05-2012, 02:41 AM
Thanks Valloa (and all the other well-wishers too, of course!). :)

I've managed to get the base done anyway, and now it's just a few tweaks before photos...

It ain't all that tbh, but given how late I started (and how much commission work i've had to do) i'm pleased with the outcome, and of course I thoroughly enjoyed painting her. Thanks Brett!!!

I learned something new while at it too. Actually, TWO new methods! :rockon:

Lyn
31-05-2012, 07:13 AM
I hope you get better soon Orki

Lyn
31-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Looks like I won't be able to post my entry. :surrender:
There are a couple of things about the paint job that I have not been able to make myself happy with, but those issues could have been fixed.
The worst thing happened today. Right on the last few brush strokes, the whole piece fell and came apart.
almost 20 hours of work, ruined. :rage:
Now the main area where it broke, sticks out like a sore thumb.
I have been trying to fix it and the piece just wont cooperate.
I have been such a mess about this.

:horro:

*sigh*
I guess painting Miss Catelyn is not meant to be for right now. She will be placed in the display case and I will maybe come back to fixing her and the base in the future.
I have pieces prepped for Freebooter and Privateer Press. Let's hope nothing goes wrong with those.

Good Luck guys!

Valloa
31-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Ouch....I'm sorry to hear about that Lyn. That sucks big time. :(

Darklord
31-05-2012, 11:25 AM
thats a bummer Lyn. paint your other stuff and come back to her sometime in the future, would be nice to see it even if its not in the contest

Darklord
31-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Just under 6 hours to go folks, get those last minute entries in. If you have already posted your entry please make sure it is showing here:

Dark Sword entries (http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/index.php?do=search&search=yes&photo_contest=3)

@Megazord Man - nice tough having Fet in your entry!!

MaGie
31-05-2012, 11:43 AM
@Lyn, that really sucks! But like DL said, it would be great to see the piece finished someday anyway :)

My entry is in. The photos suck unfortunately, but I have no time to change that.

Good luck everyone!!

shanerozzell
31-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I just had a look through the entries and they're all great. It's going to be a tough choice on the judging.

Sorry to hear about your entry Lyn, I think we've all had miniatures that turn on us.

XUR
31-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Indeed Shane, nice gallery we've got there !!

>It's going to be a tough choice on the judging.

Yup, I wouldn't like to have to judge that contest.

Lyn, sorry to hear about your misfortune ... same thing happened to me during the speed painting contest, but from what I hear, the fall of your entry was more consequential.

Wendy
31-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Darn. Didn't finish in time. Too ambitious project and a baby to distract me. :rolleyes: I'll post a pic when I finish. Hehe, maybe it'll be in time for next years contest. :wink:

Darklord
31-05-2012, 05:07 PM
DEADLINE HAS PASSED!

that's it folks, no more entries. you have a few hours to make sure your entries are displaying in the contest gallery (this is your responsibility) any problems contact me directly.

thank you to everyone that took the time to enter, they are all beautiful.

Orki
31-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Mine is showing the DS gallery now. :) It would've been good to upload some bigger pics before the deadline but I didn't have time to get confirmation of the vert/hori/Mb limits, nor even have time to upload of course!

Lyn - Sorry to hear about your disaster! I've just had a sculpt shatter the other day (bloody sculpy), so i'm feeling your pain at the mo. :(

NeatPete
31-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Well chit. I thought I had till the first at 4pm. Been so damn busy with everything these days, I can't even WAMP properly. What a bust. I was all excited for this and finished my mini last night and was going to photo after work before I went to D&D tonight... Been talking about this to all my firends... What a chump! I hate right now so much.

megazord_man
31-05-2012, 11:14 PM
@Megazord Man - nice tough having Fet in your entry!!

I get I inspiration from everything I see although in this case it's worrying hahaha ;-)

XUR
31-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Does he actually look like that, or are you talking about his rasputinian avatar ? :)

megazord_man
31-05-2012, 11:31 PM
No, he really looks like that - well kind of! I was going to say that Orki isn't a million miles off either!

Orki
31-05-2012, 11:40 PM
OMG! That really does look like Fet now that you've mentioned it!

And I resent the accusation that i'm not too far off either! I look nothing like him! Gah! I haven't got nearly enough time to trim my facial hair into such stylings. Fet on the other hand... :D

megazord_man
31-05-2012, 11:45 PM
OMG! That really does look like Fet now that you've mentioned it!

And I resent the accusation that i'm not too far off either! I look nothing like him! Gah! I haven't got nearly enough time to trim my facial hair into such stylings. Fet on the other hand... :D

hahaha - I thought I would pull your goaty!

Orki
01-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Rather you pulled that than my...

leg? XD

Darklord
01-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Well chit. I thought I had till the first at 4pm. Been so damn busy with everything these days, I can't even WAMP properly. What a bust. I was all excited for this and finished my mini last night and was going to photo after work before I went to D&D tonight... Been talking about this to all my firends... What a chump! I hate right now so much.
If no one objects i will allow you to upload it if its done before i sort them in the morning so about nine hours the offer isalso there for everyone else too or to tweak there photo any objections though and it will have to be pulled

megazord_man
01-06-2012, 12:44 AM
The more the merrier, for me it's good to be human :)

Orki
01-06-2012, 01:59 AM
No objections here either. Pete's a bit of a seive-head tbh, but im pretty sure he's not up to any shenanegins. ;) heheh

Tbh It would be cool to be able to add a couple of close-ups to my montage anyway, though if there's any objections i'm more than happy to let it stand as is.

Stewsayer
01-06-2012, 03:47 AM
I think I went to close with mine and lost the overall scene, and I hate the current background now she looks better on black. So is it OK for me to make a small adjustment?

Not having done this before do I have to delete the existing photo and upload the new one? That's assuming its OK to change it.

Orki
01-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Hi Stewsayer! :)

Please take this as my own personal opinion and observation. It does NOT represent the views of Da Management here in any way. :P

In general though, if any after-the-deadline adjustments have been allowed, it's in good faith that the painter isn't going back and continuing to paint and improve their mini. Deadlines are deadlines of course, but if its something like getting clearer pics or re-stitching your montage as you were rushed off yer ass on the day, then it's a different matter and has been accepted in good faith in the past. Hence Brett's offer above. :)

Oh and yeah, you would need to upload the new pics separately and delete the old ones.

NeatPete
01-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Well, I uploaded my entry, a litttle late, and certainly not a contender, however its 100% appreciated that you let me get involved in the contest. Sorry everyone, been in a bit of a slump lately and can't seem to get it together. Hope I uploaded the damn pics correctly...

Good luck everyone! Hope we get some feedback from the man. How awesome was that last episode? He should write them all. Just sayin'

Darklord
01-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Entries have now been sent to Dark Sword and to George R.R. Martin for judging. As soon as I know the winners so will you guys (I have telepathic links to all your brains so its instantaneous, except Pete because he replaced his with a Brussels Sprout)

Ygritte
01-06-2012, 12:29 PM
great! good luck to everyone!
btw, have we got any idea on how many yea... hem, week (?) will it takes? :redface:
(martin's fans are used to wait...hehehe)

XUR
01-06-2012, 01:36 PM
@ Pete : Indeed, last episode was awesome ... don't think it was just because it was more action-packed than usual.

So, for your entry, you chose to work on Tom Meier's Sansa too ... How were all these little flowers to paint ? I may well have lost some of my eyesight in the process -XD-

Darklord
01-06-2012, 05:52 PM
btw, have we got any idea on how many yea... hem, week (?) will it takes? :redface:

just calculating...........

http://d2oz5j6ef5tbf6.cloudfront.net/cd/large/Time_tunnel_GNPD8047.jpg

Ygritte
01-06-2012, 06:33 PM
:wink:

NeatPete
01-06-2012, 06:48 PM
@ Pete : Indeed, last episode was awesome ... don't think it was just because it was more action-packed than usual.

So, for your entry, you chose to work on Tom Meier's Sansa too ... How were all these little flowers to paint ? I may well have lost some of my eyesight in the process -XD-

No, that last episode was awesome. All the characters were in perfect form. All the diologue was great. I was cracking up at a few points, something I don't usually do during that show. I loved it. Then you had the wildfire, and that was just awesome sauce.

The mini Sansa was very pretty, and the flowers where tiny. I'm usually pretty good with small detail if I can get the paint to be the right consistancy and not run all over the place. Couldn't quite get all the pedals but I used two colors of yellow and they pretty good IRL. The hair was sculpted great as well, don't thin I ever did blonde before. I tried to put some "strawberry" blonde in there but I don't think you can see it int he pics or IRL, oh well, I had fun painting and thats all I need these days. I notice the pics are craptacular but thats okay. I think I'll use her as an NPC for RPG's or something. My players get confused when you put a mini on the map that doesn't have a weapon :D

Darklord
01-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Orki
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-Tyrion-Lannister-Game-of-Thrones.jpg

yeah. Umm... I was gonna say that too. :confused:

pae
01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
I usually go with "..."

Orki
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah, . is just so final. Whereas ...

Darklord
02-06-2012, 12:51 PM
fixed!

Orki
05-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Man, I hate this part. Even if i've not entered the comp the wait to find out the results always gets me! :D

Darklord
10-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Results are up:

Show me who won!! (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showthread.php?t=12706&p=180267#post180267)